PDA

View Full Version : Has HIV Finally Met Its Match?

Nbadan
12-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Piscataway, N.J. — Researchers at Rutgers University have developed a trio of drugs they believe can destroy HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, according to a published report.

The drugs, called DAPYs, mimic the virus by changing shape, which enables them to interfere with the way HIV attacks the immune system.

Tests conducted in conjunction with Johnson and Johnson have shown the drug to be easily absorbed with minimal side effects. It also can be taken in one pill, in contrast to the drug cocktails currently taken by many AIDS patients.

“This could be it,” Stephen Smith, the head of the department of infectious diseases at Saint Michael's Medical Center in Newark, said.

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.

“Reverse transcriptase is very important in the biology of AIDS,” Dr. Smith said. “If you can really inhibit reverse transcriptase, you can stop AIDS.”

The optimism about R278474 stems from its potential to interfere with an enzyme that the virus needs to copy and insert itself into a human cell.

“We're onto something very, very special,” Dr. Arnold said

Link (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041212.waids1212/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/)

In the battle of science versus religion, science almost always wins. Lets hope this cure pans out.

2pac
12-14-2004, 09:40 AM
In the battle of science versus religion, science almost always wins. Lets hope this cure pans out.

There is no religion trying to hold the cure back. WTF are you talking about?

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 09:41 AM
When did medical studies become Galileo-esque as far as religion is concerned? I seriously doubt anyone would be opposed to finding a cure for that horrible disease. Although, isn't it Jehova's Witness only religion that really has a problem with medical intervention....or was that just a tale I heard somewhere?

I certainly hope they've got it. Now I just wish they'd find something to make cancer no more harmful than a stuffy nose. :fro

whottt
12-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Bring it oooooooonnnnnnnn!!!!!!!! I want to go back to the days of unprotected casual sex! Damn I miss those days!

Oh shit...someone needs to fix that hep C problem too.

CrazyOne
12-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Jehovah's witnesses refuse to allow blood transfusions, citing a biblical admonition against eating blood (a request made to Gentile Christians so they would not offend the sensibilities of their Jewish brothers).. of course, how they get from "eating blood" to no transfusions is a leap that takes gullibility rather than faith.

CrazyOne
12-14-2004, 12:16 PM
By the way, there is no battle between science and religion... only between some scientists and religious beliefs.

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Dan, wtf?

CrazyOne
12-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Leave it to dan to find a way to try to offend somebody while sharing good news... :lol

tsb2000
12-14-2004, 12:33 PM
RT therapy is one of the current drugs in the "cocktail," but the virus can mutate to get around the drugs. If this new drug can change as well to continue to seek out the HIV virus, it would indeed be a serious breakthrough. It would make the virus unable to become resistant to the drug therapy.

CrazyOne
12-14-2004, 12:39 PM
From what I recall, it appears one of the new drugs destroy an essential enzyme needed by the virus to replicate itself... kind of like castrating it... makes me picture a scene of some miniature cowboy cell roping a virus, and throwing it into a pen and pulling out the ball pinchers...

"Try replicating now, you stupid little virus!"

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Jehovah's witnesses refuse to allow blood transfusions, citing a biblical admonition against eating blood (a request made to Gentile Christians so they would not offend the sensibilities of their Jewish brothers).. of course, how they get from "eating blood" to no transfusions is a leap that takes gullibility rather than faith.

That's what I had heard, but I wasn't too sure. Maybe I should spend a little more time with my Saturday morning visitors. :oops :lol

Jekka
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Christian Scientists also condemn scientific medicine (ironic, no?) - they are the ones that get in trouble far more than Jehovah's Witnesses concerning this subject - a lot of them have been prosecuted for child abuse when their children get extremely ill, but they won't take them in for treatment.

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Christian Scientists also condemn scientific medicine (ironic, no?) - they are the ones that get in trouble far more than Jehovah's Witnesses concerning this subject - a lot of them have been prosecuted for child abuse when their children get extremely ill, but they won't take them in for treatment.

That was the other one I was thinking of. Unreal that they'd let their children suffer with something sometimes easily remedied. :(

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Dan probably got pissed when he found out the scientists contributed to the Bush campaign, hence the backhanded compliment.

CrazyOne
12-15-2004, 01:34 PM
According to "Christian Science", the material world is merely a fantasy concocted by our minds... so physical pain and illnesses are just mental manifestations. Therefore, there is no need to resort to physical things like medicine and surgery to fix them. Strange... they chose a name that describes exactly what they are not... :rolleyes

exstatic
12-15-2004, 04:22 PM
According to "Christian Science", the material world is merely a fantasy concocted by our minds...
The Wachowski brothers are Christian Scientists?

Useruser666
12-15-2004, 05:14 PM
The Wachowski brothers are Christian Scientists?

There is no nbaDan!

CrazyOne
12-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Hmmm.... you may be onto something there, Ex.

Nbadan
12-16-2004, 12:57 AM
By the way, there is no battle between science and religion... only between some scientists and religious beliefs.

Looks like Crazy is on the right track to what I was alluding too, namely Stem Cell Research. The U.S. continues to fall behind in Stem Cell Research, and the medical advances that come with it every year W refuses to publicly fund research in this science, even though the U.S. has thousands of frozen embryos already in inventory and new, less controversial ways of getting even more.

Nbadan
12-16-2004, 01:05 AM
There is no nbaDan!

The Spurs Dominion (http://p068.ezboard.com/fspursdominionfrm1)

Useruser666
12-16-2004, 09:37 AM
The Spurs Dominion (http://p068.ezboard.com/fspursdominionfrm1)

Then why don't you post basketball stuff here?