PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes faithful fully back team that upset Michigan

MajorMike
09-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Not suprising.

Fans scoop up Mountaineers gear
Buckeyes faithful fully back team that upset Michigan
Posted: Wednesday September 5, 2007 11:23AM; Updated: Wednesday September 5, 2007 11:24AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Giant killer Appalachian State has won a following in Buckeyes country, where some Ohio State fans are gleeful over the humiliation suffered by archrival Michigan.

The then-No. 5 Wolverines 34-32 loss to the lower-division Mountaineers Saturday has sparked demand for Appalachian State gear among Ohio State diehards.

Hours after the defeat, at least one street vendor was doing brisk business selling freshly minted Mountaineers T-shirts near the Ohio State campus. Local stores say they've been swamped with requests for similar gear.

"If I had a dollar for every time someone's asked, I could retire," said manager Greg Pierson at Sports Fan Attic.

The mall store on the city's north side planned to stock Appalachian State shirts within the next few days, though just a small number. "It's very popular at the moment, but it'll die down very shortly," Pierson said.

Meanwhile, phone lines at the bookstore on the Appalachian State campus in Boone, N.C., have been jammed with orders for Mountaineers merchandise, with many calls coming from Ohio.

But the store has had to be careful, because an old state law limits sales at university bookstores to students, faculty and alumni. A couple of Ohio men wanting large numbers of Appalachian State T-shirts had to be turned down, said Lorraine Childers, the bookstore's assistant director.

Smaller orders might get by.

"If people call in and say, 'My uncle is a graduate' or whatever, we really don't have a way to verify that," Childers said.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

NoMoneyDown
09-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Appalachian State Mountaineers
West Virginia Mountaineers

One beat a Div I-A top-5 team, the other IS a Div I-A top-5 team.

Thunder Dan
09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I got a Appalachian State shirt. I also got tickets to Ohio State Michigan in Ann Arbor. A nice event to sport my new shirt.

MajorMike
09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
You know I heard about OSU people getting Oregon shirts last year and thought it was kinda stupid. Tho, I must admit, I thought a couple times about buying a Boise shirt.

RonMexico
09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
You know I heard about OSU people getting Oregon shirts last year and thought it was kinda stupid. Tho, I must admit, I thought a couple times about buying a Boise shirt.

However, OU did get screwed over a little bit by the officials in the Oregon game, so the insult wouldn't be quite as pointed as wearing a BSU shirt or the shirt of a "Football Championship Subdivision" school... P.S. Worst re-name ever