PDA

View Full Version : NBA expands use of instant replay

duncan228
09-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I put this here instead on NBA Central for more visability.
Please move if it should be there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/09/05/instant.replay.ap/index.html

NBA expands use of instant replay

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA referees will be able to use instant replay to review altercations and some flagrant fouls starting this season.

The NBA Board of Governors voted last week to approve the changes recommended by the league's Competition Committee.

Officials will be allowed to use replay on the more severe type of flagrant foul, known as the penalty 2. Because a flagrant-2 results in an ejection, the committee ruled that reviewing such infractions was appropriate.

Referees also will be able to use replay after an altercation to ensure that no punches or other unsportsmanlike actions are missed in determining penalties.

Obstructed_View
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
So they will only be able to review it if they call it a flagrant 2 on the floor? That seems odd.

lefty
09-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Useless...

Why not using instant replays for the real controversial calls ?

ObiwanGinobili
09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
not. good. enough.

lefty
09-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Everybody can spot a fight or a flagrant foul

Stupid NBA

PM5K
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I read this earlier and I agree that it's stupid.

More often than not referees get the calls right, and since referees have discretion in regards to flagrant fouls, there's never a definitive answer.

Hopefully this instant replay won't be used much if at all...

Solid D
09-05-2007, 11:04 PM
The official statement says "on a more severe flagrant 2", however, I wonder if it really means that the official's initial call has to be a penalty 2 before a review is allowed.

A more sensible approach would be for an official to call a flagrant foul, go to the video playback...then make the determination as to the degree of the flagrant. That would eliminate any emotional, rash judgments by officials that would penalize a team by ejecting a player for that game, even though the league...a day or two later...might review video and change the penalty to a flagrant 1 after the team had already lost the services of its player.

This approach may, indeed, be the way the league means to approach flagrant rulings.

Avitus1
09-06-2007, 12:28 AM
So when do they plan to use it on stuff that actually matters?

jaespur21
09-06-2007, 01:14 AM
The Nba is a fuckin hypocrite. i hope another malice in the palice happens

Amuseddaysleeper
09-06-2007, 02:22 AM
the nba should be like tennis where coaches (though in tennis it's the players) can "challenge" calls. Each coach should be allowed 2 challenges on controversial calls.

I understand that the refs making mistakes can be partially due to human error, but I think it's more important that the game is called as accurately as possible.

This video replay for flagrant fouls is pointless.

fyatuk
09-06-2007, 07:45 AM
This video replay for flagrant fouls is pointless.

Not entirely. The goal would be to make sure someone is not ejected for a flagrant-2 unjustly. A lot of times those things look more viscious live than they really were.

I mean, it's near pointless. How many flagrant-2's are called in a season to make this worthwhile?

ALVAREZ6
09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Fucking A.

Just another thing to make NBA basketball even slower.

Brutalis
09-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Mainly they should work on introducing the awareness of the clock starting exactly when the ball is touched aka .4 since you'll never see that shit happen again nor see another league change its rules right after it happened. Dumb shits. They need to be focused on shit that matters instead of just stopping play every whistle like football.

SpursFanFirst
09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Useless...

Why not using instant replays for the real controversial calls ?

I thought the same thing when I read this. :depressed

ALVAREZ6
09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
yeah, man, cuz like Flagrant 2's get called like every 5 minutes, right man...?

...instant replays being used something like once every 10 games.... oh, man it's gonna slow down the games...!!!Fuck you

NBA is shit

Obstructed_View
09-07-2007, 03:00 AM
So basically it would have saved Jerry Stackhouse when Joe Johnson hurt his eye.

z0sa
09-08-2007, 12:50 AM
NEW YORK -- NBA referees will be able to use instant replay to review altercations and some flagrant fouls starting this season.

The NBA Board of Governors voted last week to approve the changes recommended by the league's Competition Committee.

Officials will be allowed to use replay on the more severe type of flagrant foul, known as the penalty 2. Because a flagrant-2 results in an ejection, the committee ruled that reviewing such infractions was appropriate.

Referees also will be able to use replay after an altercation to ensure that no punches or other unsportsmanlike actions are missed in determining penalties

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3005866&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

J.T.
09-08-2007, 02:30 AM
I don't see the NBA increasing the use of instant replay for actual game possessions. It will only slow down the game, piss off the players, coaches, and fans. If it were regulated, like allowing each team to request a replay 3 times, then it might not be too much of a pain in the ass.

The way they're doing it now is fine, and I like this new rule for reviewing flagrants. If it stops someone from getting ejected and altering the course of a game, I'm down with that.

ducks
09-08-2007, 08:04 PM
stern watches the fights and flagrants
there is no need for replay for this