PDA

View Full Version : Sprained Foot

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey all

Im posting in some pretty good pain :lol but I'd like to know, has anyone had a sprained foot, and if so, what did you do, to live, and get by with it?

Any good meathods that helped out?

It happened because our business theres one time a year where we have to move VERY quickly, and I fell off of a Semi trailer and pretty much bent it the wrong way.

I've had sprained ankles before and used a heating pad and that seemed to work, but the heating pad isn't dulling anything, and Icy Hot is just a stinky
thing on my foot that isn't doing squat.

How bad is it? Lets just say a friend had to bring over dinner, i literally can't put weight on it.

Any help is very much apreciated, and I know the great people here at ST will help.

Im praying also theres a favorite poster whos a doctor could help, but I understand if he doesn't want to. I mean diagnosing a help for this would be like giving stuff away. Wich I DEFINATEL don't like to do.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Rice.

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Rice.

:tu

and I feel you. I did it in 8th grade and it still brings back bad memories.

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
eat rice?

Marklar MM
09-05-2007, 10:21 PM
get drunk

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 10:21 PM
eat rice?
R: Rest

I: Ice

C: Compress

E: Elevation

and switching 20 minutes on and off ice is recommended as well. I can't remember why, but that's what I've always read.

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:26 PM
get drunk

I do have some well aged single malt here, and some Patron Silver....

Zombie
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Tpark, man up! I twisted my ankle and it swelled to the size of a orange and I still walked on it.

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
R: Rest

I: Ice

C: Compress

E: Elevation

and switching 20 minutes on and off ice is recommended as well. I can't remember why, but that's what I've always read

ok have had the foot up for over 3 hours and the swelling has gone down.

Ice, yeah havent put that on for the fact it feels like taking a hammer to it... But i will do it thanks to you guy's advice.

Compress?

Ok I know Im dumb, but im gonna play normal and ass, what does a compress consist of.

I was thinking of going to the clinic, but mom who came by to check on me gave me the old line

"They won't be able to do anything for it" :lol

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Tpark, man up! I twisted my ankle and it swelled to the size of a orange and I still walked on it.

Good for you Willis reed, but no, i think im gonna try and treat it.

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok yeah compress just figured it out "Sorry hydrocodone kills the thinking process" :lol

Marklar MM
09-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Compress?

Ok I know Im dumb, but im gonna play normal and ass, what does a compress consist of.

Compress is just putting something around it that will slow the swelling. Similar to why athletes keep their shoes on when they turn their ankles. Although I could be wrong.

IceColdBrewski
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Never had a sprained foot, but had a really bad sprained ankle once after running from a house party that was getting raided by the cops. Hopped a chain link fence and landed wrong. It swole up to the size of a grapefruit. After a few days of staying off of it, the swelling went down and the pain went away.

Assuming you haven't torn anything, you should be fine.

Marklar MM
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
if it gets to unbearable, you can always just cut the foot off.

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Compress?

It's just wrapping it up pretty tight. Like in an ACE bandage or if you are using an ICY Hot type of thing and it can wrap around your foot wrap it it around tightly so it's not just hanging. It keeps the swelling down. It would probably still be a good idea to "compress" even though the swelling did go down some. And very important once you start walking on it.

Yeah, I don't think there is anything a clinic or doctor can do for you except give you some awesome pain killers, if that's an issue. But, if you're going to get drunk it won't be an issue. :D They'd just take some x-rays to make sure your foot isn't broken, which 99% isn't. And it would hurt like a mother fucker to turn when they x-rayed it. So. That's my like 5 cents worth.

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
After a few days of staying off of it, the swelling went down and the pain went away.

yeah if i can dig up some crutches I think I should be ok.

T Park
09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
sidenote

whenever something like this happens, don't you do the

"Man, Tim Duncan or whoever, played basketball with something like this"

Makes them almost seem unhuman :lol

angel_luv
09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
T-Park, I hope you feel better.

I was actually going to make a similar thread about my wrist. I hope you don't mind if I share yours.

I slipped on a wet floor at a restaurant the other day and fell awkwardly on my right side.

Both my right ankle and right wrist have been tender since. My wrist is the worst though- is sore.

I can make a fist and type and all that but the wrist hurts when I bend it.

I am not sure if it is sprained or just a bad bruise. I guess just take advil and wait for it to heal?

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I am not sure if it is sprained or just a bad bruise. I guess just take advil and wait for it to heal?

Advil and maybe an ACE bandage will help it if still hurts for a while. That may take a longtime to feel better. I'm a klutz and have both sprained my foot and fallen on my side. If anyone ever needs help with anything sprained related ask me. :)

jman3000
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
duct tape can be substituted for ACE bandage on the fly btw.

angel_luv
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Advil and maybe an ACE bandage will help it if still hurts for a while. That may take a longtime to feel better. I'm a klutz and have both sprained my foot and fallen on my side. If anyone ever needs help with anything sprained related ask me. :)

:lol Thanks. :)

angel_luv
09-05-2007, 11:13 PM

See but at least with you, I am sure your injuries were sports related.

I don't want to go around in an ace bandage because I will have to tell people what happened. :lol

jman3000
09-05-2007, 11:15 PM
i never had any serious injuries when i played sports actually... the worst one was my bursa sac exploding under my knee. not too too bad.

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 11:17 PM

Then you rip the hair off your arm, at least in angel's case. That would hurt worse then the sprain. And a bursa sac? WTF?

jman3000
09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Then you rip the hair off your arm, at least in angel's case. That would hurt worse then the sprain. And a bursa sac? WTF?
http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/medpubs/6524/images/6524_1.gif

the one underneath the patella exploded on me.

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
the one underneath the patella exploded on me.

Oww!

angel_luv
09-05-2007, 11:26 PM

I have never had my arms- or if I do, they are so blonde they blend in.

ashbeeigh
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
I have never had my arms- or if I do, they are so blonde they blend in.

I have, just by accident when I put tape on my arm while hanging things up. Mine is also very blonde, it blends.

But anyway. I hope everyone's arms, legs, feet, heads, get better.

TDMVPDPOY
09-06-2007, 01:38 AM
i would usually bandage it up tightly or

if you know some acupuncture person, they can always twist it the other way to put in back in place hahahahaa

iminlakerland
09-06-2007, 02:44 AM
When i thought i had just a sprained ankle i had torn ligaments...if you have any bruising in your toe area...i would get that checked!

timvp
09-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Put on four socks on the injured foot and then put a shoe on. As long as nothing is broken that'll fix ya in about two days.

Ginobilly
09-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Try the Rice method but also soak your sprained foot in a Epsom salt/Magnesium sulfate warm water bath.

ShoogarBear
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with the RICE advice. Also, Vitamin M (Motrin) as needed.

The other thing to do is to start doing range-of-motion, stretching/strengthening exercises as soon as they can be tolerated. (This is even more important when you become an old fart.) As far as which exercises, you can check web pages if you feel comfortable you know where injury is located, but depending on the severity of the sprain and your degree of comfort this is where seeing a doc or a physical therapist will be most useful.

Flea
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
When i thought i had just a sprained ankle i had torn ligaments...if you have any bruising in your toe area...i would get that checked!

If it is a bad sprain get it checked. We thought my daughter had sprained her ankle at a soccer tournament on Sat. Took her to the ER, they said it may be a sprain but we think it may be fracture, couldnt tell by the xrays, went to see an orthopedic surgeon yesterday......definitely broken. :(

Shelly
09-06-2007, 01:56 PM
If it is a bad sprain get it checked. We thought my daughter had sprained her ankle at a soccer tournament on Sat. Took her to the ER, they said it may be a sprain but we think it may be fracture, couldnt tell by the xrays, went to see an orthopedic surgeon yesterday......definitely broken. :(

Oh, that sucks, Flea!

Shelly
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Tpark...if it doesn't get better and it's definitely your foot, see a podiatrist. If it's your ankle, then you need to go to an orthopedist.

tlongII
09-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Suck it up!

ShoogarBear
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Rice.For the record, we have all shown admirable restraint here . . .

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-06-2007, 03:42 PM
For the record, we have all shown admirable restraint here . . .

I didn't say lice.

Soul_Patch
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball a while back...I came down on someone's foot after rebound and i heard a loud pop, then severe pain...i really thought i broke it. It was huge and purple.

Went to the emergency room, and basically all they did was wrap it, give me some crutches and some pain pills...

CuckingFunt
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't say lice.Unfortunately.

2Blonde
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Geez, all these injuries in here make me feel almost graceful. I hope everyone heals up quickly.

SequSpur
09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
go see a doc.. i wouldn't take any advice from these ding dongs.

Flea
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I sprained my ankle really bad playing basketball a while back...I came down on someone's foot after rebound and i heard a loud pop, then severe pain...i really thought i broke it. It was huge and purple.

Went to the emergency room, and basically all they did was wrap it, give me some crutches and some pain pills...

That's what they did to my daughter, she too heard a pop. Glad we went to see the orthopedic surgeon.

Flea
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh, that sucks, Flea!

Yeah, but I get to eat lunch with y'all cause she can't play soccer for three months!!! :)

ALVAREZ6
09-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Take a shit on on your foot, smear it all over, and let it dry there.

Shelly
09-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah, but I get to eat lunch with y'all cause she can't play soccer for three months!!! :)

Bittersweet :lol

marini martini
09-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Nasty Boy :toast

marini martini
09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Flea]Yeah, but I get to eat lunch with y'all cause she can't play soccer for three months!!! :)[/QUOTWhoooooooo Hooooo :toast

2Blonde
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Now you'll never get my daughter's phone number! :lol

Sp Ginobili 20
09-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I was running in cleats around a football field because my school had a flag football team, and my cleats got stuck in the ground, and when I turned, I heard a pop and just fell to the floor. Turns out, I dislocated my knee cap. Then I did it again 2 other times. Boy, did it hurt like hell.

marini martini
09-07-2007, 11:01 PM
When I was three, I tipped my tryke over and broke my nose WTF :toast

Rip-Hamilton32
09-08-2007, 08:21 AM
i broke my foot but i was camping so when i came home they had to re-break it