PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you painted aluminum wheels?

MoSpur
09-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I am considering painting the aluminum wheels on the car. I polish them every time I wash the car, but noticed that there are certain areas on the wheel where the paint is chipping and coming off.

Have any of you guys or girls done this? Any recommendations or tips? Your feedback is appreciated.

:convertib

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Are you sure they are aluminum? if they came painted from the factory they are probably steel.

tlongII
09-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Get some new wheels.

tlongII
09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Are you sure they are aluminum? if they came painted from the factory they are probably steel.

There are lots of aluminum wheels for cars that come from the factory. My FJ Cruiser has factory installed aluminum wheels.

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
There are lots of aluminum wheels for cars that come from the factory. My FJ Cruiser has factory installed aluminum wheels.

No shit TLong. But were they painted or were they bare aluminum?

tlongII
09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
No shit TLong. But were they painted or were they bare aluminum?

My impression of what he's asking is that the "annodized coating" is coming off the aluminum wheels. That is why he wants to paint them.

MoSpur
09-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't want anything after market on the car.

tlongII
09-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Am I right in my assumption? Is the anodized finish on the aluminum wheels peeling off and hence why you are considering painting them?

ORION
09-07-2007, 11:48 AM
get batman out there with a freakin paintbrush to touch it up

SequSpur
09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
ghetto forum

MoSpur
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Am I right in my assumption? Is the anodized finish on the aluminum wheels peeling off and hence why you are considering painting them?

Yeah. They are these wheels.

http://www.solocochesdelujo.com/imagenes/volvo-s80-grande.jpg

Mixability
09-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Why?

MoSpur
09-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Why?

No reason really. Its my wife's car and I don't see a reason to put some after market wheels on it. I just hate seeing the finish on some of those areas peel off.

I was just wanting to know if someone had any experience repainting wheels. Hope that makes sense.

tlongII
09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
CosmicCowboy is a dingaling. :lol

tlongII
09-07-2007, 12:05 PM
No reason really. Its my wife's car and I don't see a reason to put some after market wheels on it. I just hate seeing the finish on some of those areas peel off.

I was just wanting to know if someone had any experience repainting wheels. Hope that makes sense.

Personally I wouldn't paint over them. I would see if I could get them re-finished and if not I would buy a new set.

MoSpur
09-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I might ask about getting them refinished. Thanks.

jdp526
09-09-2007, 09:47 AM
If you plan to paint your own wheels you will need some professional equipment, ie, air compressor,paint gun(s),respirator mask, auto paint supplies. You can do it yourself, but wheels will need to be prepped properly; cleaned with auto paint cleaner to remove any wax or silicones, then they will need to be wet-sanded at least once or twice. You can probably paint them without using any primer if the original finish is in good shape, but they will need to be painted with professional auto paints if you want a durable finish that will last. These paints are very toxic but you can get by using a respirator if you paint outdoors where you have excellent ventilation.

You can use a single stage acrylic urethane that does not require a clear coat, but additional coats of clear will allow for extra polishing without removing color coat. A qt of a good quality acrylic urethane like PPG or Dupont will run about $60-80 plus the cost of hardener, reducer (thinner). You will also need to laquer thinner for cleaning equip.

MoSpur
09-10-2007, 09:30 AM
If you plan to paint your own wheels you will need some professional equipment, ie, air compressor,paint gun(s),respirator mask, auto paint supplies. You can do it yourself, but wheels will need to be prepped properly; cleaned with auto paint cleaner to remove any wax or silicones, then they will need to be wet-sanded at least once or twice. You can probably paint them without using any primer if the original finish is in good shape, but they will need to be painted with professional auto paints if you want a durable finish that will last. These paints are very toxic but you can get by using a respirator if you paint outdoors where you have excellent ventilation.

You can use a single stage acrylic urethane that does not require a clear coat, but additional coats of clear will allow for extra polishing without removing color coat. A qt of a good quality acrylic urethane like PPG or Dupont will run about $60-80 plus the cost of hardener, reducer (thinner). You will also need to laquer thinner for cleaning equip.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.