PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams a free agent?

oligarchy
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I assume he's a free agent since I didn't hear any offers?

According the CBA:

September 6
Second round draft picks become free agents if not given a required tender

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

ChumpDumper
09-06-2007, 12:03 PM
The deadline would be the end of business today. It's possible an offer has been made but not accepted by Williams.

Mr. Body
09-06-2007, 12:11 PM
*applauds terrible draft pick*

Bruno
09-06-2007, 12:21 PM
You don't need to sign the player, teams just need to make an offer like one year for the min without a guarantee.
You usually never hear when teams make required tender. It's highly unlikely that Williams become a free agent tomorrow.

jay014
09-06-2007, 10:47 PM
The guy sucked at the summer league.

Solid D
09-06-2007, 10:56 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/ncb/2000/0219/photo/a_carrawell.jpg http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/2000_draft/Players/images/carrawell.jpg

Booharv
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/ncb/2000/0219/photo/a_carrawell.jpg

I guess you're being coy. Ok I'll bite, who is that now?

Solid D
09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
First Team All-American Chris Carrawell...drafted #41 by the Spurs.

Solid D
09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Carrawell was last seen playing in the Netherlands. He was actually the ABA's player of the year in 2006, playing for the Rochester Razorsharks.

Booharv
09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Carrawell was last seen playing in the Netherlands. He was actually the ABA's player of the year in 2006, playing for the Rochester Razorsharks.

Thanks for clarifying--I'm not as locked in as some of the other die hard fans here are.

jay014
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
First Team All-American Chris Carrawell...drafted #41 by the Spurs.
Just like Marcus,sucked at the summer league games.

Bruno
09-07-2007, 06:51 AM
The fact that Spurs still haven't signed Marcus Williams isn't a big deal.

22 NCAA players have been drafted in the second round this year. Among these 22 players, 10 (Landry, Williams, Davidson, Richard, Byars, Haluska, Jordan, Nichols, Hill and Sessions) are still free agent. Williams case has nothing special.

Not signing second round pick soon in the offseason allow nba teams to keep doors open. When you sign a second round draft pick, you can't trade him for one month, you take a roster spot and you spend a part of the MLE if you want to sign him for more than 2 years. It will be stupid if a team miss a trade or a FA because they have sign a second round pick in July instead of waiting the end of the offseason to sign him.

We will see what kind of contract Williams will get but my guess is a 3 years contract with a minimum salary, the first year fully guaranteed and the two other without a guaranteed salary.

Axl Van Dam
09-07-2007, 07:33 AM

:hat He even played here in the Philippines a couple of years back. :hat

Solid D
09-07-2007, 08:08 AM
There is actually a significant difference in Marcus Williams and Chris Carrawell and that is that Marcus is very young, having come out after his sophomore year at Arizona Univ.. He's longer in his frame than Chris but much shorter on experience. Marcus has more raw skills that need work, including his jumpshooting form and slow release.

Both Marcus and Chris have some similarities in that are both swingmen with first-round-of-the-draft potential drafted in the early 2nd round. The Spurs roster now, as it was in the 2000-01 season is loaded with talent.

That 2000-01 team ended up with the best record in the NBA that season and it was loaded at the 2-guard with plenty of combo guards. Derek Anderson, Antonio Daniels, Jaren Jackson, Terry Porter, Steve Kerr, and Derrick Dial plus they had Sean Elliott and Danny Ferry as bigger SFs. The D-League wasn't alive yet.

Chris was sort of a tweener who never could distinguish himself to play any specific role (ie. energy scorer, defense, etc.) even though he was a good player in college.

Like Chris, Marcus will need to distinguish himself somehow.

barbacoataco
09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
The Spurs knew when they picked Williams that he was a raw talent with holes in his game. The question--- did they see something they liked? or were they wasting a meaningless pick when they didn't really want any player still left at that point in the draft?

ChumpDumper
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm sure they saw something they liked. There's no other reason to use that pick. They could've just sold it or traded it.

Darkwaters
09-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm sure they saw something they liked. There's no other reason to use that pick. They could've just sold it or traded it.

Or for that matter they could have taken a flyer on some euro talent that was a few years out (a la, Sanikidze). As I remember there were rumors that they were hot for Stanko Barac (yes, thats really his name) before the draft and he was still sitting there when they took Williams instead.

barbacoataco
09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
If the Spurs did see potential in Williams, then the reason for not signing him would be his horrible performance in Summer league? I saw some of the games but it is hard to judge a player from that type of game. His defense looked promising. I think the Spurs will sign him to some type of contract.

biba
09-09-2007, 03:07 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have invited to training camp ex-CDO basketball whiz Anthony Lever Pedroza, a break-out star for Mexico in the recent FIBA Americas championships in Las Vegas. Ironically, after a tepid summer-league performance, ex-Wildcat Marcus Williams is not yet sure he will be with the Spurs in next month's training camp. Here's what Williams, the Spurs' second-round draft pick and No. 33 overall, stands to lose if San Antonio doesn't elect to sign him: ex-USC guard Gabe Pruitt, the No. 32 overall pick, by Boston, last week signed a two-year guaranteed contract worth $427,000 this year and $711,000 next season. …

www.azstarnet.com Tucson, Arizona | Published: 09.09.2007