PDA

View Full Version : Funny Money

xrayzebra
09-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Posted without much comment. Clinton, Inc. still doing
the same old thing. Shocked, shocked, do you hear me.
Yeah, sure................the culture of corruption, again! And

The Democrats' Foreign Funny Money

Michelle MalkinWed Sep 5, 3:00 AM ET

Here's a peculiar thing about the holier-than-thou Campaign Finance Reform crowd. Whenever the stench of dirty money starts wafting from Democrat Party coffers, the clean election lobbyists are nowhere to be found. They'll raise hell and hackles over American corporate donors. But when it's shady foreign operators infusing cash into our electoral system, you'll only hear one sound: the deafening swell of crickets chirping.

Hillary and Bill Clinton have declared themselves "shocked" at revelations about one of the Democrat Party's mysterious, deep-pocketed bagmen, Hong Kong native Norman Hsu. Hsu, a prodigious Democrat donor, was arrested last week after having evaded the law for 15 years over grand theft swindling charges. Hsu pleaded no context to those charges and was supposed to serve jail time. Instead, he managed to remain a fugitive while raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars for Democrat candidates and officeholders — and posing openly for photographs with the likes of Hillary Clinton.

According to investigative blogger Flip Pidot (suitablyflip.com), who delved into public records and crunched the numbers, Clinton took the lion's share of political cash ($174,000) from Hsu and his network of suspected donor-bundlers whose campaign checks dwarfed their income. New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and New York Governor (and former Attorney General) Eliot Spitzer accepted the largest sums of direct cash from Hsu.

Reports Pidot: "Among state parties, campaign committees, and advocacy groups, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee topped the list, with $122,000, though three state Democratic parties or committees (Tennessee, New York, and New Jersey) took more from Hsu directly. Of the 32 organizations that took money from Hsu and his associates, 10 were state Democratic parties and several others were Democratic campaign committees. The 84 individuals who received money from Hsu and his associates included 17 Gubernatorial candidates, 17 Congressional candidates, 27 Senatorial candidates, and a variety of statewide and local candidates. All were Democrats, with the exception of Tom Gallagher, Florida's former CFO and an unsuccessful primary challenger to Charlie Crist in the 2006 Governor race. Including candidate-specific PACs, these individuals have taken just over $1 million from Hsu's group since the 2004 cycle. . . . Another 22 organizations received support from Hsu's network since 2004, primarily Democratic campaign committees and state Democratic parties."

Former President Clinton, who left the White House up to his eyeballs in campaign finance scandals, retreated to Southern folksy talk when asked about the Hsu scandal over the weekend.

"You could have knocked me over with a straw, especially when I heard the L.A. people had been allegedly looking for him for 15 years when he was in plain view," he told Newsday. With a straw? How about a cluebat?

Funny money? In the party of Clean Campaigns? No!

The truth smarts like a snapped thong. Thwack. The straw donor scheme has clear shades of the Clintons' Chinagate scheme: Dubious givers. Con artist rainmakers. And disingenuous pleas of ignorance and shock.

While the campaign finance reform crowd ducks under the table, there is one vociferous group making noise. Like clockwork, Asian-American groups were first out of the gate protesting public scrutiny of the foreign donors and whining about profiling. Deja vu all over again. "It would be wholly inappropriate to link this in any way to the '96 campaign cycle investigations, just because both involve Asian-Americans," Lawrence Barcella, a lawyer for Hsu, who is a top donor to Hillary Clinton and other Democrats, told Politico.com

No. It's because both involve the craven Clintons, a trademark incuriosity about the backgrounds of big donors and a network of generous contributors of notably meager means.

Executive director of the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund in New York, Margaret Fung, a prominent voice who decried every last newspaper story about convicted campaign finance felon John Huang during the 1990s, recycled her old talking points again: "It links Norman Hsu and the Paw family to other Asian-American donors in previous campaigns, solely because of their race. It insinuates that Asian-Americans are more prone to making improper donations and have been doing this for years. What is this obsession with Asian-American donors?"

What is this knee-jerk obsession with crying racism and wallowing in collective ethnic grievances? It's not just about "Asian-American" donors. It's about felon and fugitive donors of a rainbow of races and backgrounds. It's about the Clintons' — and the Dems' — systemic corner-cutting, campaign corruption and double standards. There is a Chinese saying: "When you drink water, always think about the source."

Peering into the poisoned well isn't "racism." It's the duty of a responsible republic.

Michelle Malkin is author of "Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild." Her e-mail address is [email protected].

COPYRIGHT 2007 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
This has already been discussed, but no one has told me what background checks campaigns are required to run on every donor and donation. If you have an article stating that and not the same old guilt by association canard, let me know.

clambake
09-06-2007, 03:18 PM
this came from michelle malkin, who is the juice that runs down andy coulters leg.

Oh, Gee!!
09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Malkin is a hater

Yonivore
09-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Hsu has killed Clinton's campaign...she just doesn't know it yet.

Anybody remember the '96 campaign scandal where 150 witnesses plead the fifth or disappeared? Same gang. Slick Willy's chickens are coming home to roost right on Hillary's big fat ass.

ChumpDumper
09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Anybody remember the '96 campaign scandal where 150 witnesses plead the fifth or disappeared?No one remembers, that's why this won't do anything to Hillary.

clambake
09-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Anybody remember the '96 campaign scandal where 150 witnesses plead the fifth or disappeared? Same gang. Slick Willy's chickens are coming home to roost right on Hillary's big fat ass.
don't you think Hsu will lead authorities to the hundreds of corpses that the clintons killed? hahaha

Wild Cobra
09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Yoni's right. If Hillary wins the primaries, the facts will come out and the republican candidate will win, unless the republicans aslso pick a loser. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the democrats campaigns use it later in the primaries. Then there is yet another new credible book out about the Clintons...

Nbadan
09-08-2007, 03:32 AM

It's her wishy-washy position on the Iraq war that will do her in, kinda like, I voted for it, but now I'm against it....but I don't wanna pull the troops out too fast....could take 2 years!

ChumpDumper
09-08-2007, 03:45 AM
the facts will come outAren't they already out?

Wake me when it is linked directly to Hillary. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking from our resident neocons. Hope you guys find a candidate soon.

Wild Cobra
09-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Aren't they already out?
LOL... It hasn't been mainstream yet.

Wake me when it is linked directly to Hillary. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking from our resident neocons. Hope you guys find a candidate soon.
Do I sense a different level of proof needed by you?

Actually, I agree nothing is set in stone by this alone. However, Buzz Paterson has spoken on the issue about the illegal activiteis during the Clinton presidency. I think it was on the Lars Larson radio show two days ago, Patterson spoke of what Hillary knew.

Buzz's site (http://www.buzzpatterson.com/)
Dereliction of Duty (http://www.amazon.com/Dereliction-Duty-Eyewitness-President-Endangered/dp/0895261405)
War Crimes (http://www.amazon.com/War-Crimes-Campaign-Destroy-Military/dp/0307338266/ref=sr_1_1/103-7332921-4286237?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189248975&sr=1-1)
Reckless Disregard (http://www.amazon.com/Reckless-Disregard-Democrats-Undercut-Jeopardize/dp/0895260093/ref=sr_1_3/103-7332921-4286237?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189248975&sr=1-3)

ChumpDumper
09-08-2007, 06:16 AM
LOL... It hasn't been mainstream yet.Wall Street Journal?

Washington Post?

AP?

Not mainstream enough?

Do I sense a different level of proof needed by you?To actually affect a presidential campaign?

Absolutely.

This doesn't reach "give a shit" status for any significant number of voters. Maybe equal to the number of people who give a shit about Buzz Patterson, but they wouldn't vote for her anyway.

And I'm not a supporter of Hillary at all.

Wild Cobra
09-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Wall Street Journal?

Washington Post?

AP?

Not mainstream enough?
To actually affect a presidential campaign?

Absolutely.
Am I wrong about the media showing knowing illegal ties rather than just association and donations? That is what I meant if I wasn't clear. This guy and another was very close to the Clintons.

This doesn't reach "give a shit" status for any significant number of voters. Maybe equal to the number of people who give a shit about Buzz Patterson, but they wouldn't vote for her anyway.

And I'm not a supporter of Hillary at all.
I agree. Those who like Hillary will play it off as just unfounded allegations unless absolute proof comes into play. Even if proof is there, I wouldn’t be surprised if they still vote for her. Some will refuse to accept any evidence and call it another noecon conspiracy. The lack of integrity, character, responsibility, etc. that I believe most democrats have one or more of makes her more personable to them. As for Patterson, he is credible.

I'm wondering if Obama, Edwards, or another democrat might go for Hillary's throat over this Chinese connection. If so, Patterson would be the one for them to chum up to.

This may sound odd, but even though Obama appears more liberal than Hillary. I trust him more. It's still early, but he seems to have some integrity. That's important to me. If I had to choose the lesser of two evils; those two democrats right now, it is Obama.

Yonivore
09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Not a scandal to which the public will cling? So, What made Norman Hsu run?

The Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118920845515221199.html?mod=home_we_banner_left) asks that question. Let's start the story from the time he was a bankrupt in 1990.

In October 1990 he divorced, after his wife filed a petition citing "unhappy and irreconcilable differences." Mr. Hsu was practically destitute, according to bankruptcy documents. He owed $1.64 million to a long list of people, including his father-in-law, who had lent him money. The documents said he was renting a home for $1,750 a month in Foster City and spending $75 a month for clothes.

Mr. Hsu vanished just before his scheduled sentencing in 1992. He soon began building new businesses, this time in Hong Kong.
Let's take up the story from Hong Kong, where Hsu is without two dimes he can rub together to keep company. According to the WSJ, things didn't get better. Then he moved back to California -- a fugitive let's not forget -- where things may or may not have improved.

But his star also fell in Hong Kong. Both companies were dissolved in 1997 and 1998. The Hong Kong courts declared Mr. Hsu bankrupt in the summer of 1998.

Mr. Hsu soon returned to California, creating another chain of addresses near San Francisco and Los Angeles. Real-estate brokers in the area say that he actively invested in properties in the Bay area. He continued dabbling in the apparel industry as well. A few years ago, Mr. Hsu's activity in the Bay Area tapered off. And he appeared to move to New York. And he emerged in another circle -- political fund-raising in New York.

Just how or why he got involved in politics is unclear. In 2004, Mr. Hsu donated $2,000, the most then allowed, to the presidential campaign of Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry.
We are in 2004 before Hsu becomes a political player. And from appearances, Hsu is strictly from hunger, giving just $2,000 to John Kerry. But suddenly his fortune changes and within a short time Norman gets a lot of money to throw around.

Mr. Hsu began contributing generously to an array of Democrats, including California Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer and Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu. He donated $5,000 to Bob Hertzberg, who was running for mayor of Los Angeles. When Bill Richardson ran for governor of New Mexico, Mr. Hsu was among the top contributors, donating $37,000 in all. ... In 2004, Mr. Hsu began giving to federal candidates, including Mrs. Clinton and Illinois Democratic Sen. Barack Obama. ...
In 2005 things begin to really ramp up.

... he frequently threw parties. To celebrate the Democrats' victories in Congress, the Senate and gubernatorial races, he rented a New York club called Buddakan. With several governors and others in the audience, Mr. Hsu grabbed the microphone, according to someone who was there, and ordered anyone who wasn't supporting Hillary Clinton to "get out!"

Mr. Hsu also was a burgeoning philanthropist. He was a significant donor to the Innocence Project, which helps prisoners overturn unfair convictions through DNA testing.

Mr. Hsu also is listed on the roster of members for the Clinton Global Initiative -- an effort by Mrs. Clinton's husband, the former president, to recruit people to tackle problems like poverty and disease -- in 2005 and 2006. Members are required to donate $15,000 a year.
And the rest is history.

Question. What happened between 2000 and 2004 that suddenly turned his fortunes around? Prior to that Hsu was just a shady operator. Afterwards he was player. Maybe investigations in the coming weeks will shed light on this transition.

My bet is that once he demonstrated the ability to gain access to US politicians, Chinese intelligence began to transfer large sums to him.

Why? Do they believe they can gain influence with the likes of Hillary and Bill Richardson? My answer: yes, they do. And, this is where 1996 and the 150 fleeing or mum witnesses come in.

The Hsu story recalls the Clinton campaign scandals of 1996, but who can really recall them, and what were they all about? They dissolve into the Great Cloud of Unknowing whipped up by the Clinton scandal management machine of the time. How little we remember the cast of characters: Charlie Trie, James Riady, John Huang, Maria Hsia, Ted Sioeng, Johnny Chung, Np Lap Seng et al.

In Legacy: Paying the Price for the Clinton Years (http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Paying-Price-Clinton-Years/dp/0895260492/ref=ed_oe_p/102-3678164-8215353), Rich Lowry cuts to the chase:

[I]t is an indisputable fact that the president's fund-raising operation was infiltrated by Chinese agents, many of whom were warmly welcomed as valued contributors and given intimate audiences with the president and other senior administration officials.
But why does memory fail us on this shocking episode? Lowry writes:

The fund-raising scandal fizzled politically because most of the major witnesses cut and ran. As many as 120 individuals took the Fifth or fled the country to escape the various investigations.
Bill Clinton responded to the campaign finance scandals arising from his 1996 reelection campaign with the resourcefulness for which he had by that time become renowned. First, he categorically denied wrongdoing. Then he asserted that if he had made mistakes, Republicans had done so first. Finally he proclaimed that whatever he had done was for the good of the country. Sensing that he had not been entirely persuasive in these assertions, Clinton resorted to the favorite stratagem of presidents in need of political cover: the announcement of a bipartisan commission.

I don't think the FBI will learn much from Norman Hsu -- if he manages to survive the next week or so.

But that's not the bottom line with American voters. They'll look at this and the -- what I believe will be -- successful efforts to paint a Hillary Clinton presidency as another term or two of scandal after scandal after scandal and say, "No fucking way! We're sick and fucking tired of electing President Lightning Rod."

Certainly, I would hope the people would become interested in bringing the Clinton machine to justice but, it will be enough for me if the voters reject her just because she has her husband's slime running down her legs and pooling at her feet.

Yonivore
09-08-2007, 09:19 AM
It's her wishy-washy position on the Iraq war that will do her in, kinda like, I voted for it, but now I'm against it....but I don't wanna pull the troops out too fast....could take 2 years!
The only reason she's beating Obama by over 15 points is because she supported the war in Iraq.

Other than Obama, you can't name a Democratic presidential candidate that hasn't shifted on Iraq over the past 4 years. But, that Obama is 15 points back with a solid anti-war position doesn't speak well of that either, does it?

xrayzebra
09-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Hsu on the dimm-o-craps "A" list. Those dimms just love
the Chinese.

washingtonpost.com

Ex-Fugitive's Fundraising Talent Put Him on Democrats' A-List

By Matthew Mosk and John Solomon
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, September 7, 2007; A03

Last week, before his world came crashing down, Norman Hsu helped organize a breakfast meeting in San Francisco with prospective donors. The featured attraction was Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean.

The meeting was hardly unusual for Hsu, a New York apparel manufacturer for much of his career whose success at raising money had propelled him into the upper echelon of Democratic politics.

In the past four years, Hsu raised more than $1.2 million for Democratic causes and candidates, including the DNC and the campaign of New York Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer. And in the past six months, Hsu became a leading fundraiser for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.). A person familiar with Clinton's fundraising, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Hsu had raised "in the hundreds of thousands of dollars" since January for Clinton's presidential bid.

But his association with Clinton cast an unwanted national spotlight on Hsu, leading to the discovery last week that there was an outstanding warrant for his arrest stemming from a 15-year-old felony theft conviction.

Now, instead of finalizing plans to headline a Sept. 30 Clinton fundraiser in Woodside, Calif., where Quincy Jones is scheduled to perform, Hsu is under arrest, after being captured as a fugitive. FBI agents took him into custody last night at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo., the Associated Press learned from FBI spokesman Joseph Schadler.

On Wednesday, he failed to appear at a court hearing related to the warrant, forfeiting $2 million in bail. Hsu's attorney James Brosnahan told a San Mateo County judge he did not know where Hsu had gone. The office of California's attorney general said it had not expected Hsu to flee and had not collected his passport.

Another attorney for Hsu, E. Lawrence Barcella Jr., said yesterday the suggestion that Hsu raised money improperly -- including more than $290,000 from one family whose members live in a small bungalow and hold middle-class jobs -- is off base. "I have looked at financial records that clearly show they have the wherewithal to make those contributions," he said.

But Justice Department officials are reviewing the allegations to determine whether an investigation is warranted, according to two federal law enforcement officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

For many people who crossed paths with Hsu in politics, his disappearance left them wondering whether they ever really knew him. "I think a lot of us are scratching our heads," said Hassan Nemazee, a Clinton fundraiser in New York.

Facts about Hsu are hard to come by. Twenty-year-old clippings from apparel industry publications say he was born and raised in Hong Kong and arrived in the United States in 1969 to attend the University of California at Berkeley. The computer science major went to the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School for an MBA. In 1982, with a group of Hong Kong-based partners, he formed Lavano Sportswear.

The business went bankrupt. Describing that time to a Bay Area newspaper, Hsu said he was young and "made a lot of stupid mistakes." But Hsu moved on to form a series of new clothing ventures before going back to Hong Kong, from 1992 to 1996, for unknown reasons. Returning to the United States, Hsu invested in several new wholesale apparel and import ventures that collectively generate about $2 million a year, according to Dun & Bradstreet estimates.

Hsu's first appearance on the political scene came in September 2003, when a Los Angeles area physician, Stanley Toy, introduced him to a major Democratic fundraiser who at the time was collecting money for Sen. John F. Kerry's presidential campaign.

Hsu made a $2,000 donation, the maximum allowed, and the Kerry fundraiser, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said it was after that introduction that Hsu began not only donating but also raising money for Kerry. Toy did not return calls seeking comment yesterday.

Once Hsu made that first imprint as a big donor, other campaigns quickly came knocking. Campaign finance records show which candidates -- including those running for Los Angeles city attorney, California comptroller, Ohio secretary of state and Massachusetts treasurer -- sought and received his financial help. Starting in 2004, he gave to an array of federal candidates, including the Senate campaigns of Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and Clinton.

Nemazee, who was helping head the Kerry fundraising effort in New York when he met Hsu, said Hsu's attraction from a fundraising perspective was that he delivered and did so consistently.

When 2008 presidential candidates began recruiting donors, several reached out to Hsu. But in an interview with The Washington Post in July, Hsu said he had no doubts where he would land. "I committed myself [to Clinton] way before she announced," he said. "No caution at all. I told her I would support her."

The Clinton campaign stood by Hsu until the Los Angeles Times reported his outstanding arrest warrant. At that point, the campaign reversed course, announcing it would donate to charity the $23,000 in direct contributions Hsu made to Clinton's presidential campaign, her Senate reelection bid and her political action committee. The campaign does not plan to return any money Hsu raised from other donors.

Political researcher Alice Crites contributed to this report.

Post a Comment

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

Report item as: (required) X
Comment: (optional)

Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
© 2007 The Washington Post Company
Ads by Google

www.thefirstpost.co.uk

ChumpDumper
09-08-2007, 04:10 PM
:lol You can tell the neocons don't have much when they resort to boutons-length posts.

Where's the beef?