PDA

View Full Version : Who decides the non-conference schedule for each school?

BradLohaus
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
I was wondering about that yesterday and I figured someone here would know. Who gets to add input about which non-conference teams will be on the schedule, and who gets to make the final decision, and is the process the same at every school or does it differ?

Holmes_Fans
09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
The schools get to decide who they want to play, if it's a high profile game like Texas vs tOSU it will usually be a home and home. Or a school like Texas pays Sam Houston a large sum to come and play them, it's a win win for both schools. The larger school gets a blowout win that the scrubs get to play in and the smaller school gets hundreds of thousands of dollars PLUS part of the gate money.

I am sure each school has it's different process and reasons for scheduling who they schedule. Usually either to keep a rivalry going or to tap into that school's state's recruits

MajorMike
09-06-2007, 11:45 PM
The AD has someone on his staff that specifically works scheduling. Conferences put out schedules years in advance (I think the B12's is out to 2015 right now). Then you fill in the games with lifetime deals (such as FlaSt/Fla; ND/SC; CU/CSU; Mizzou/Illi; etc). Schools then shop for deals. Many times they bring in the networks to help facilitate or to add money.

When dealing with smaller schools, some of the biggest schools will never give returns (I doubt UT ever goes to Ark St) whereas OSU set up a 'neutral site' deal with Ark St and E$PN guaranteed it to be shown. In other words, OSU got a home and a very close neutral site at War Memorial Stadium, just a couple hours drive from Stillwater and even closer to OSU-heavy Tulsa. This way more OSU fans can travel to see a close away game, OSU will have a chance of having as many fans there, and Ark State gets to sell lots of tix to OSU fans. For many other schools, OSU has made 2 for 1 deals, where we go once and they come twice. We have such deals with Houston, Rice, Tulsa, Troy, La-La. We get 2 home games and the other school gets a BCS school coming to their place, which they would not get in a deal with UT or uo.

Also, OSU does its best to schedule one ooc away game every year in the state of Texas for recruiting purposes. SMU, Houston, Rice have all been recent ooc stops. There is even talk of returning a trip from Sam Houston in San Antonio or Houston, strictly for recruiting purposes.

And about they payout, the larger school may indeed pay the smaller school a nice chunk of change, but it is only large by small school standards. In other words, Sam Houston coming to OSU will be one of the larger payouts they may ever have gotten, but it will be one of the smaller ones OSU has paid out recently.

Ignignokt
09-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Until now, mine was... http://www.bedandbathdirect.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/strawberryshower.gif .

MajorMike
09-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Cute, Ignig.

Tell you want, why don't you come visit me next year when you come down to see your favorite team.

http://okiedoke.com/pics/oksonic2.jpg

Ignignokt
09-07-2007, 10:01 AM
exept the only thing super sonic about OKC is a drive thru.