PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

fatsack
09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
First of all, how many pair do you own, and do you tend to use different pairs for different things? Do you tend to buy a cheap pair because you lose them frequently?

I own 2 pair. A pair of very nice Ray Bans ($100+) and a very cheap pair from HEB ($8). Both stay in my truck. I wear the good pair when I'm driving or in a place where I want to look a little nicer. I wear the cheap pair when I'm in situations where they are more likely to get broken or lost. These are also the pair I'll loan out to a friend who forgot his pair.

My BIL is an Oakleys man, I've always been a Ray Ban man, but I have to admit, when I wear out these out, I may just have to go check out a pair of Oakleys.

Soul_Patch
09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I need to get a nice pair...right now all i have is 5 dollar walmart specials.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I haven't had sunglasses in ages, but only because I need them to have my prescription.

The last pair I owned were a great set of Oakleys that were stolen. Let's just say that when they first put them on, they probably got a bad headache.

I actually do want to get some soon, but my main eyewear priority is replacing my current eyeglasses.

PakiDan
09-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Gucci Aviators.... and a plastic pair from walgreens

samikeyp
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I wear mine at night so I can watch you weave then breathe your storylines.

ORION
09-07-2007, 10:14 AM
I only wear a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses when I go fishing other than that I hate wearing glasses

Soul_Patch
09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I cannot go outside without sunglasses on...im not sure how people can live without them actually.

sa_butta
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I recently broke my Nike sunglasses and need a new pair. For people glasses the Nike contacts are great, my wife uses them and she likes them alot.

Samr
09-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Pair of brown Ray Bans and a pair of black Oakleys. The Oakleys, though, don't look like conventional Oakleys (have a thin wire frame) and I love them both to death. Also, a pair of athletic sunglasses for basketball or biking or whatever. I value a nice, functional pair of sun glasses more than anything else because I have extremely sensitive eyes. I need them to work and feel comfortable on me 10+ hours a day.

That being said, never underestimate the value of a 2 for $10 rack at HEB if you plan to go fishing or on a vacation and do not intend to return with the glasses. Those things are like gold then.

ORION
09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Also, a pair of athletic sunglasses for basketball
I have never seen anyone wear a pair of sunglasses to play ball

ashbeeigh
09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I get a horrible headache when I'm out in the sun for extra long periods of time without sunglasses. That being said, I only wear a pair of $10 Wal Mart sunglasses because I do hate wearing sunglasses so much. I should probably invest in some more expensive ones.

ATRAIN
09-07-2007, 10:44 AM
how many sunglasses threads have there been in club history, I think I started one months ago. Anyways I want a new pair of Oakley's.....im due!!

Samr
09-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I have never seen anyone wear a pair of sunglasses to play ball

Play on an outside court and it just makes life easier. It may look stupid, yeah, but I do a good job of sucking so much that it overshadows the style faux pas anyway.

I just have really sensitive eyes (which is remarkable, given that they are also brown), so sunglasses are mandatory outside until it gets dark enough for the lights to come on.

boutons_
09-07-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm so natively cool that if I added sunglasses, I'd chill by-standers like the Coors' Love Train.

ORION
09-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Play on an outside court and it just makes life easier. It may look stupid, yeah, but I do a good job of sucking so much that it overshadows the style faux pas anyway.

I just have really sensitive eyes (which is remarkable, given that they are also brown), so sunglasses are mandatory outside until it gets dark enough for the lights to come on.
:lol
Yeah I guess it could help when you get stuck going towards the sun especially later in the day when the sun sets. I can't imagine they haven't been broken. Your face becomes a hugh bulls-eye for an elbow

jman3000
09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
i usually get a single expensive pair that i know will last me a while... i had a pair of oakley's that lasted me 4 or so years and once those became unservicable i bought a pair of ray ban aviators. i looked pretty unibomberish/stalkerish when i had my mustache though... ask JB he'll tell you.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Is anybody else just a little shocked/surprised that boutons_ made a funny?

Sunshine
09-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I buy cheapies because I'm notorious for losing them. Last pair I bought was back in March or April in Concan and miraculously I still have them!

ATRAIN
09-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I buy cheapies because I'm notorious for losing them. Last pair I bought was back in March or April in Concan and miraculously I still have them!

where is Concan?

Sunshine
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
where is Concan?

Up around Leakey, Garner State Park area of Texas.

Samr
09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
:lol
Yeah I guess it could help when you get stuck going towards the sun especially later in the day when the sun sets. I can't imagine they haven't been broken. Your face becomes a hugh bulls-eye for an elbow

I am (well, was; thank you brain surgery!) was very uncoordinated, and genetics gave me a massive nose. Viewed in profile, you can clearly see my nose has at least an inch on the rest of my face. I look like a } symbol. Fact of life.

I've just naturally caught so many blows from elbows to the honker that watery eyes or a bloodied nose are an expected part of the game for me now. I wear sunglasses because the way I figure it, I am going to get hit anyway (benefit: increases your pain tolerance), so might as well be able to see in between times.

The glasses I wear, though, are made specifically (at least, originally) for road cycling, where they must deal with the impact of rocks, glass, and other debris thrown from wheels and going full force into your face. They are very resistant to everything short of a contact nuclear explosion, so I never have to worry about them taking a hard hit and getting smashed when I'm on the basketball court. A broken nose, though, is a different story -- did I mention osteoporosis is fun as well?

Whisky Dog
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I pretty much only wear Ray-ban glasses since I only wear metal frames and don't see the point in spending $300 for plastic. My current pair has lasted 5 years and the one before that lasted 7.

CuckingFunt
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Before my eyes were bad enough that I had to wear my glasses non-stop, I used to keep several pairs of fairly inexpensive sunglasses in rotation. When I realized, however, that it was no longer safe for me to drive without prescription glasses on, I went for years without having any sunglasses at all. This summer I finally shelled out $400+ for a beautiful pair of LaFont sunglasses, and they're treated very gently.

ShoogarBear
09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I have about three pairs of Oakleys, because I keep losing and re-finding them. I also have about 2-3 other pairs of cheapos picked up on vacations.

Is anybody else just a little shocked/surprised that boutons_ made a funny?And a friggin' good one, too. I' m guessing he got it from somewhere.

BigBeezie
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I have some pretty stylish RayBan glasses. I like them a lot...

Samr
09-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I've had my Ray Bans for 3 years now, they're plastic-framed, and have been stepped on, dropped on the ground, dropped onto the ground out of moving vehicles (once), worn while hunting (though not shooting), and been through the wash several times.

$120 pair I got on discount for $99 and the best money ever spent. I swear by them, mainly because of their durability (especially for being plastic). Light weight, strong, cheap compared to the wear I've gotten out of them (everyday) and have out-lasted punishment that would have killed most glasses long ago.

DO NOT underestimate the value of a good ($100-200) pair of sunglasses. Consider it a good investment you only make once every few years. If you're into style, great, you can get that too, but durability over a long period is what sells me.

**edit** I may have to get prescription glasses eventually, though I'm crossing my fingers that the vision problem was corrected by the last surgery. A month removed from it and so far so good. I'd hate to have to deal with corrective glasses all the time, and have nothing but sympathy for those that do.

CosmicCowboy
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
A couple pair of cheap john lennon style sunglasses for the pocket and truck console...a couple pair of classic ray ban aviators. A pair of costa del mars that I only use for fishing.

TheSanityAnnex
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/Shit/bam2.jpg
Electric OHM (mine have a mirror finish so I can scope chicks)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/Shit/bam.jpg
Electric BSG

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/Shit/bam3.jpg
Hoven One Polarized

Das Texan
09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I have a great pair of Oakley Half Jackets cost me about 140 bucks a few years ago. Dont even notice them and they help my eyes a hell of a lot.

Second pair of Oakleys I have had, will probably buy my third one in a few months as they are starting to get worn.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-07-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't own a pair, though I thought about buying these once:

http://www.raffaello-network.com/item_images/prasun-spr50h-1bc-3m1-p.jpg

And these another time:

http://www.raffaello-network.com/item_images/armsun-ga198sr19ujp.jpg

CuckingFunt
09-07-2007, 05:40 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/Shit/bam2.jpg
Electric OHM (mine have a mirror finish so I can scope chicks)
That seriously might be the single gayest thing you've ever said.

TheSanityAnnex
09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
That seriously might be the single gayest thing you've ever said.Explain please.

Switchman
09-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Oakley Polarized M-Frames
Oakley Polarized Gas-cans

Love them.