PDA

View Full Version : Job Search

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Ok, I'm having a difficult time finding something where I can make decent money and still go to school.

Does anyone know of anything like this? I'm looking for part time clerical or table waiting positions. However, anything that pays a DECENT amount (READS: A few bucks above minimum wage) and offers hours that are friendly to school would be a good thing.

Help a brotha out!

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Maybe you should look for some part-time marketing work.

http://www.mosaic.com
http://www.marketsource.net

The top place, I work for and the second, I did work for.

Marcus Bryant
12-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Here's an idea: pick an industry which interests you and approach local firms about an internship. Try smaller firms. They typically are more likely to have a need for some help. Also, the owner(s) might like the fact that someone is interested in what they do and also like the fact that you showed the initiative to contact them, as well as the prospect of being able to help out a student and someone starting their career in that industry, yadda yadda yadda.

Also, when you look for a full-time position then you would have some quality experience as opposed to just a part-time job.

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I'm planning on taking 18 hours this semester. I would rather have a job that requires little to no thought. I'll definetly look into internships but more than likely over the summer months or in future semesters when I'm not going to have such a high workload.

I'll check out those links Joe.

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Here's an idea: pick an industry which interests you and approach local firms about an internship. Try smaller firms. They typically are more likely to have a need for some help. Also, the owner(s) might like the fact that someone is interested in what they do and also like the fact that you showed the initiative to contact them, as well as the prospect of being able to help out a student and someone starting their career in that industry, yadda yadda yadda.

Also, when you look for a full-time position then you would have some quality experience as opposed to just a part-time job.

Very good advise.

Or, there's always Bill Miller's....they offer a flexible schedule and tuition reimbursement, and I've seen signs of them starting between $6.50 & $7.50/hr. Plus employee discounts...that could raise your real income to at least $8-9. ;) :lol

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Or, there's always Bill Miller's....they offer a flexible schedule and tuition reimbursement, and I've seen signs of them starting between $6.50 & $7.50/hr. Plus employee discounts...that could raise your real income to at least $8-9. ;) :lol

I may have to resort to something of that nature, but I'm still holding out for something where I can make more money.

However, it's getting to the point where the employee discount is looking mighty fine.

SpursWoman
12-14-2004, 12:24 PM
I was only semi-joking....but I do know that they start above minimum wage....and I know you like Bill Miller's. :lol

Smackie Chan
12-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Bro I know a few quick ways right off the bat. Go check out Smith Security

They will hire anyone and you can tell them when you can work, Pick up shifts as you need them, You can be at one of Red McComb's many car lots late at night doing homework and playing on the PC and getting paid for it.

I worked at the one off Calahann and I-10 They had 12 bar codes spread out the car lot, you have to scan them at least once an hour, I took them off and ran them trough a copier machine, I would sit back watch TV and run the scanner over the bar codes I had on my clip board, It was a gravy job,

Or you can supply the truck and we go haves on wood floor and paint jobs I get,

There is a temp place in town that pays 7.00-8.00 an hour, you can call them or they can call you when you want to work, you do lot's of private parties and load super market shelves etc..

If you want to work only 3 hours a day get a white shirt and a bow tie go to the river
they always need last minute help during peak eating rushes and you make good tips.

You can always contact different catering services in town they love to have you as a person they can use when they need you,

Also there is a market out there for watching peoples kids and watching there homes while they go out of town,

I know a poster at this website that will pay 150-200 a month if you show up twice a week and clean there house,

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I'll whore myself out to the women of the forum. Start the bidding.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Deleted.

Spurminator
12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Donate Plasma. $15-25 a pop, twice a week. Plus bonuses for frequency.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Donate Plasma. $15-25 a pop, twice a week. Plus bonuses for frequency.

Donate sperm.

Make some money AND take care of all the jerking off you must do.

Smackie Chan
12-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Bro go to freeman decoration off of I-35 they setup for many of the conventions down town you work short hours and get over 12 bucks an hour,

You can also hang out at the majestic theater and leave them your phone number they use stage hands and they pay 100.00 a day,

MannyIsGod
Dude, if i ever resort to plasma donations I'm going to hang myself.

I dropped off an application for server at The Origional Mexican Restaurant today and I have a friend who's uncle is the manager, so that is promising. I'm also going to apply for Las Casinas and Casa Rio which are both also on the river.

Why the hell are the mexican places the only ones hiring??

Johnny_Blaze_47
You could go stand next to the bridge by the County Jail and do day-work.

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I want a job, not to be a hobo.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Why the hell are the mexican places the only ones hiring??

Must...resist...urge...

Racial...joke...

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:42 PM
I want a job, not to be a hobo.

You wouldn't be a hobo. You'd be a day-worker.

And no taxes, either!

Smackie Chan
12-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Dude try Tony Romas at river center mall I used to make 35-65 In tips durring lunch rush, Have you tried Joe's Crab Shack?

Your in tight with Chris Duel why not work at KTSA part time?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:43 PM
I thought Tony Roma's closed.

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:46 PM
I thought Tony Roma's closed.

I want whatever job lets you post so damn much and still get paid.

Shelly
12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Is Champps in Huebner Oaks hiring? I have never, EVER had bad service there and we eat there a lot.

Smackie Chan
12-14-2004, 12:48 PM
That shows you how long it's been since I had a job :lmao

I was one of the first waiters there when they had the grand opening, If you want a cool job where you wear a tux? Go to PJ's on the river and go to Club Guiard next to WOAI TV station, It's a privet club and you get to see folks like Peter Holt and Tommy Lee Jones on a nightly basis,
Ask for Mike Chamma he is the manager.

MannyIsGod
12-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Anyhow, if you guys notice any restaurnts hiring servers anywhere around town, just post it in here if you don't mind.

I think waiting tables is my best bet to working an easy job where I can pull down some jack.

Smackie Chan
12-14-2004, 12:50 PM

Bro ask CrazyOne and Joe Chalupa they have cool jobs you just sit at a desk all day,

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-14-2004, 12:56 PM

Jump on AIM.

GODADDYSA
12-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Panchitos on McCullough is always hiring - great food too

PakiDan
12-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Mr. Dio needs someone to wash his mother's nuts. It pays $2.79 a day for 2 hours work and Mr. Dio will throw in a dime bag at the end of the tenure.

Spurgal
12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
KCI Is a great company with flexible hours.

Mr Dio
12-14-2004, 08:53 PM
PakiDan works @ a condom factory & he is on his back all day just holding his knees up to his nipples so they can test out the Xtra Large ones on him. Seriously Manny, go to a hotel & do room service. You only have to see people for a couple of minutes while you bring their food up & the busier you are the better the tips should be. Where are you going to school & live? Try to pick a place close to school so you can go to class in a bowtie & vest. PakiDan & I did "IT" @ the Omni on Wurzbach & I-10 for a year or so.

LuvBones
12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Anyhow, if you guys notice any restaurnts hiring servers anywhere around town, just post it in here if you don't mind.

I think waiting tables is my best bet to working an easy job where I can pull down some jack.

Pappasito's (off I-10 W) has a sign up looking for servers.

violentkitten
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
hey i serve bone would you like a taste

KEDA
12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Go to Paesanos in the Quarry, everyone else there is a dick, you would fit right in!

seriously though I hope you findsomething, as far as suggestions try the room service thing, those people make good $$$.

CrazyOne
12-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Spursgal, you work at KCI near DeZavala? I've got a good friend named Eve that works there, and my wife and I work next door at Optum.

Sorry, they just hired a new batch at my place, and the pay is around $10 an hour... but it's mostly full time, a part time shift like mine usually runs 1-7 pm or something like that.

CrazyOne
12-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Also, just saw a sign at Target that they're taking applications right now.