PDA

View Full Version : Schwarzkopf Cuts Into Rummy!

Nbadan
12-14-2004, 12:10 PM
The Backlash Cometh. God what Karma it would be if Rumsfailed is run out of town on a rail. Used to say that we could end up with someone worse, but I just don't think that is possible.

Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf said yesterday he was "angry" at Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's response to a soldier who complained he and his fellow grunts in Iraq lack sufficient armor plating. And Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a Vietnam War hero, reiterated that he has "no confidence" in the Pentagon boss.

After a soldier told Rumsfeld that he and his fellow servicemen must scrounge for metal to better fortify their Humvees, the secretary told him, "You go to war with the Army you have." That response didn't sit well with the former general.

"They deserve every bit of protection we can give them," Schwarzkopf scowled in an interview with "Hardball" host Chris Matthews on MSNBC. "I was very, very disappointed - let me put it stronger - I was angry by the words of the secretary of defense."

More than half of the more than 1,200 U.S. troops killed in Iraq have come from insurgent attacks on the vehicles.

"When he laid it all on the Army, I mean, as if he as the secretary of defense didn't have anything to do with it, the Army was over there doing it themselves screwing up," Schwarzkopf said.

NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/12-14-2004/news/story/261966p-224309c.html)

Schwarzkopf has cut into Rummy before, anyone remember this?

"The general who commanded U.S. forces in the 1991 Gulf War says he hasn't seen enough evidence to convince him that his old comrades Dick Cheney, Colin Powell and Paul Wolfowitz are correct in moving toward a new war now. He thinks U.N. inspections are still the proper course to follow. He's worried about the cockiness of the U.S. war plan, and even more by the potential human and financial costs of occupying Iraq….(And don't get him started on Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld)"

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52450-2003Jan27?language=printer)

and..

“The uniformed Joint Staff in the Pentagon strongly opposed this plan early on...The uniformed Joint Staff was overridden, yet in so many horrifying ways this operation resembles Somalia, not Desert Storm...Perhaps we can pull this off, but here's a far worse scenario that's at least as likely...Photos of American soldiers amid landscapes of Iraqi civilian bodies blanket the world press which aligns unanimously against the US. The US is condemned by NATO and the UN...The war ends within a few weeks, but the crisis deepens...”

NPR (http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/transcripts/2003/mar/030311.turner.html)

First McCain taking shots at Rummy yesterday and now Schwartzy today, what's next? A Osama tape praising Rummy's job performance?

cqsallie
12-14-2004, 01:12 PM
We have a raging argument on another site regarding whether it is good or bad to allow "photos" of wounded, dead, dismembered, injured combatants involved in the Iraqi "war."
Some say that those who support the war need the jolt these pictures would provide, while others claim that these pictures would prove terrifying to the general population. So, is this war sanitized by the press to the point that when it's reported that 7 US combatants have "died" as the result of a "car bomb" we can imagine their deaths as we wish - i.e., envision them sleeping peacefully, side by side, on an Iraqi roadside?
The horrors of war are escaping us here in the US. Our dead return in flag-draped coffins, already attended to by corpsmen assigned that duty. The details of their deaths are never revealed. "They died in the defense of..." or "They died when attacked by..."
The enlistment photo of the kid from our neck of the woods appears in our newspaper. He looks so alive, so proud to be wearing the uniform of the US Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Reserve, National Guard. We look at his picture and read the brief obit that accompanies it. We never see the one thing that would turn us all against war...

Clandestino
12-14-2004, 01:19 PM
wtf do you want? to see the pieces of the our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines? would that make you happy?

you don't ask the 5 o clock news to show you every little thing do you? well, you may, but they don't show all the body parts that serial killers leave behind..they don't show the motorcycle accident victim that is strewn all over the highway...

maybe you would have liked living in afghanistan during the taliban regime where you could have seen the beheadings and hangings and beatings in the soccer stadium...