PDA

View Full Version : Connecting the Dots

Yonivore
09-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Der Spiegel (http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-29414820070908?feedType=RSS&rpc=602&pageNumber=1) has interesting information about the terror bust in Germany; as usual, however, you have to read between the lines:

Three suspected Islamist militants who were planning to attack U.S. installations in Germany had orders to act by Sept. 15....According to surveillance details published in Der Spiegel magazine, the men had been given a two-week deadline for their planned strikes in a late August call from northern Pakistan that was monitored by German police.
So al Qaeda's top leaders were anxious to precipitate an attack on Americans by September 15. Why? That's the date on which General Petraeus will deliver his report to Congress. Al Qaeda, as always, was playing to the Democrats in Congress, the press, and the American people. Undoubtedly, similar orders have gone out to al Qaeda's agents in Iraq and around the world.

Note, too, how German authorities found out about the planned attack. They eavesdropped on a phone call from Pakistan to Germany. This is the exact equivalent of the NSA program that is ritually, but inaccurately, described in the press as "domestic spying." Most Democrats denounce the program as unconstitutional.

Further, it was the NSA program that brought the German terrorists to light:

The arrests were the culmination of an investigation that began a year ago, when U.S. officials alerted German authorities to e-mails intercepted from Pakistan.
If the Democrats get their way, the NSA will not be able to use this tactic unless it has enough knowledge, enough days in advance, to get an order from a FISA judge. You can be sure, however, that the liberals will never mention this incident when they denounce the program as an invasion of constitutional rights.

boutons_
09-08-2007, 11:35 AM
"Al Qaeda, as always, was playing to the Democrats in Congress, the press, and the American people."

More data that AQ's war on the west is much more intelligent than dubya/dickhead's "bomb the fuck out of them" brutaltity, with NO appeal to the non-violent Muslims and NO diplomatic effort to get allies and Muslim countries involved in resolving the Iraq fiasco.

Note that Yoni cherry picks the audience that his AQ mind-reading and in-between-line-reading say AQ is playing to by excluding the Repugs and right-wingers who no longer support dubya and his fraudulent Iraq oil war (but don't have the balls to be public about their opposition). The huge anti-dubya/war polls can't achieved with Yoni's cherry-picked audience alone.

ChumpDumper
09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Gee Yoni, nothing else of note happened in the first two weeks of September?

Ever?

You're a fucking idiot.

PixelPusher
09-08-2007, 08:30 PM
So al Qaeda's top leaders were anxious to precipitate an attack on Americans by September 15. Why? That's the date on which General Petraeus will deliver his report to Congress. Al Qaeda, as always, was playing to the Democrats in Congress, the press, and the American people. Undoubtedly, similar orders have gone out to al Qaeda's agents in Iraq and around the world.
http://blatherreview.mu.nu/archives/TinFoilHatArea.jpg

George Gervin's Afro
09-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Der Spiegel (http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-29414820070908?feedType=RSS&rpc=602&pageNumber=1) has interesting information about the terror bust in Germany; as usual, however, you have to read between the lines:

Note, too, how German authorities found out about the planned attack. They eavesdropped on a phone call from Pakistan to Germany. This is the exact equivalent of the NSA program that is ritually, but inaccurately, described in the press as "domestic spying." Most Democrats denounce the program as unconstitutional.

If the Democrats get their way, the NSA will not be able to use this tactic unless it has enough knowledge, enough days in advance, to get an order from a FISA judge. You can be sure, however, that the liberals will never mention this incident when they denounce the program as an invasion of constitutional rights.

I seem to remember that in 2004 election an OBL video aided GWB in his re-election pursuit.. I'm just connecting the dots..so maybe he's out to help Republicans again?

Yonivore
09-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I seem to remember that in 2004 election an OBL video aided GWB in his re-election pursuit.. I'm just connecting the dots..so maybe he's out to help Republicans again?
It wouldn't have helped either side if the Democrats didn't agree with him so much.

You know, that whole, "Politics end at the border," stuff.

WHOTTABITCH
09-09-2007, 11:27 AM

I think he more or less wanted the americans to get scurrred and achieve the Madrid effect. But you're GGA, and that just takes to much intuition for you.

George Gervin's Afro
09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I think he more or less wanted the americans to get scurrred and achieve the Madrid effect. But you're GGA, and that just takes to much intuition for you.

Didn't the bombings happen immediately prior to the election? 2 weeks? I guess in your intuitive way of thinking OBL is out to achieve the same thing during the 2007 primaries? 13 months? Scare tactics are so 2004.. This is type of thinking is ridiculous... even for you dead enders

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/03/14/spain.blasts.election/index.html

Turnout was high at 76 percent with voters seeming to express anger with the government, accusing it of provoking the Madrid attacks by supporting the U.S.-led war in Iraq, which most Spaniards opposed.

The election was thrown wide open by a reported al Qaeda claim that it was responsible for Thursday's Madrid train bombings to punish the government for supporting the Iraq war.

I seem to remember that the overwhelming majority of Spaniards prior the election were against the Iraq war for numerous reasons. I can understand why you choose to believe how they voted because. I am going to disagree with you and go with the Spanish public opinion as the main cause. I know that rationalization is not allowed within the 'GOP talking point' thinking so it doesn't surprise me why you 'think' the way you do.

Yonivore
09-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Didn't the bombings happen immediately prior to the election? 2 weeks? I guess in your intuitive way of thinking OBL is out to achieve the same thing during the 2007 primaries? 13 months? Scare tactics are so 2004.. This is type of thinking is ridiculous... even for you dead enders
Actually, the thinking is that he is trying to influence reception of the Petraeus report. The cell broke up in Europe apparently were given a September 15th date by which to execute their assignment. Petraeus reports to Congress on the 15th.

If you'd keep up with current events maybe you'd be more informed and better understand world events.

On your other issue, in which you try ad hoc revisionism. It's generally accepted by sane people -- on all sides of the issue -- that the terror attacks in Spain, prior to their election, did influence the election.

George Gervin's Afro
09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Actually, the thinking is that he is trying to influence reception of the Petraeus report. The cell broke up in Europe apparently were given a September 15th date by which to execute their assignment. Petraeus reports to Congress on the 15th.

If you'd keep up with current events maybe you'd be more informed and better understand world events.

On your other issue, in which you try ad hoc revisionism. It's generally accepted by sane people -- on all sides of the issue -- that the terror attacks in Spain, prior to their election, did influence the election.

SO there is no logical correlation to the bombings. What affect would the attacks had if they took place Yoni? I know you have all of this figured out.. there has to be a Democrat connection to all this isn't there?

Yonivore
09-09-2007, 05:30 PM
SO there is no logical correlation to the bombings. What affect would the attacks had if they took place Yoni? I know you have all of this figured out.. there has to be a Democrat connection to all this isn't there?
I think the message was intended to be the same as the Democrats, "see, you're not safer because of Iraq and Petraeus is full of shit." But, since we thwarted the attack and pre-emptively released his silly video...I'm thinking his message won't have the desired effect.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
"You're not safer in the US because Al Qaeda attacked Germany."

That makes as much sense as anything you've ever said about Osama. :rolleyes

WHOTTABITCH
09-09-2007, 08:35 PM
"You're not safer in the US because Al Qaeda attacked;

The USS Cole.

The Embassy in africa."

That makes as much sense as anything you've ever said about Osama. :rolleyes

That's why i wont ever blame Condi for ignoring the 911 memo. I love consistency no matter how tarded i come across.

Only in a perfect world where the Master Baiter doesn't exist.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Your trolls make no sense.

Did you feel personally threatened in the US when the Cole was attacked? How did that change you life? Did you buy extra duct tape when the embassies were bombed?

And what are you even trying to say about Condi?

WHOTTABITCH
09-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Your trolls make no sense.

Did you feel personally threatened in the US when the Cole was attacked? How did that change you life? Did you buy extra duct tape when the embassies were bombed?

And what are you even trying to say about Condi?

No, I felt aroused, and then decided to go and post dry sarcastic and cynical remarks on the internets and be a big giant douchebag while totally not seeing the irony in my past criticism of this administration for not taking the threat seriously.

I then decided to take a hiatus to Las Vegas after I had a meltdown over the threat of someone on the internets wanting to nuke my Korean relatives.

I'm totally inconsistent, it's my schtick.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Fail.

I know UBL is a threat, I just don't give a shit what he says in his infomercials.

Thanks for the stalking though, even if your memory is a more than a bit warped.

WHOTTABITCH
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Fail.

I know UBL is a threat, I just don't give a shit what he says in his infomercials.

Thanks for the stalking though, even if your memory is a more than a bit warped.

These phrases bolded are signs of CHumpdumper running out of schemes in his Pro Set twins Master Baiter playbook.

Later on he's gonna bitch about Bush not taking OBL seriously.

But it's just an act. The real ChumpDumper has no oppinon, he can't contadict himself that way.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
So you think Bush took UBL seriously enough?

And what have you personally gotten from this UBL infomercial? Has this made you more scurred of him?

And this is a really bad troll, but all of yours suck as bad as the original pink name.

WHOTTABITCH
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
So you think Bush took UBL seriously enough?

And what have you personally gotten from this UBL infomercial? Has this made you more scurred of him?

And this is a really bad troll, but all of yours suck as bad as the original pink name.

Nah, i ain't scurred. UBL don't scare me. Tie me to a rocket! Unreash 20 pitburrs towards me. I ain't scurred. Do you have it in you. Prayah Prayah.

War on Terruh, is for bitches. S. Korean Drift Import is the rear mafia,20 20 fu!

I the best thing since Kim and Chi.

PixelPusher
09-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Aww...to bad all FISA/Bill of Rights/Goddamn-piece-of-paper hating Bushies you love so bad have trouble "mis-remembering the facts" or "recollecting the circumstances" or whatever bullshit euphemism you fancy at the moment.

Spy Master Admits Error (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20749773/site/newsweek/)
Intel czar Mike McConnell told Congress a new law helped bring down a terror plot. The facts say otherwise.

By Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball
Newsweek
Updated: 3:38 p.m. PT Sept 12, 2007

Sept. 12, 2007 - In a new embarrassment for the Bush administration top spymaster, Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell is withdrawing an assertion he made to Congress this week that a recently passed electronic-surveillance law helped U.S. authorities foil a major terror plot in Germany.

The temporary measure, signed into law by President Bush on Aug. 5, gave the U.S. intelligence community broad new powers to eavesdrop on telephone and e-mail communications overseas without seeking warrants from the surveillance court. The law expires in six months and is expected to be the subject of intense debate in the months ahead. On Monday, McConnell—questioned by Sen. Joe Lieberman—claimed the law, intended to remedy what the White House said was an intelligence gap, had helped to “facilitate” the arrest of three suspects believed to be planning massive car bombings against American targets in Germany. Other U.S. intelligence-community officials questioned the accuracy of McConnell's testimony and urged his office to correct it. Four intelligence-community officials, who asked for anonymity discussing sensitive material, said the new law, dubbed the "Protect America Act,” played little if any role in the unraveling of the German plot. The U.S. military initially provided information that helped the Germans uncover the plot. But that exchange of information took place months before the new “Protect America” law was passed.

After questions about his testimony were raised, McConnell called Lieberman to clarify his statements to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, an official said. (A spokeswoman for Lieberman confirmed that McConnell called the senator Tuesday but could not immediately confirm what they spoke about.) Late Wednesday afternoon, McConnell issued a statement acknowleding that "information contributing to the recent arrests [in Germany] was not collected under authorities provided by the 'Protect America Act'."

The developments were cited by Democratic critics on Capitol Hill as the latest example of the Bush administration's exaggerated claims—and contradictory statements—about ultrasecret surveillance activities. In the face of such complaints, the administration has consistently resisted any public disclosure about the details of the surveillance activities—even thought McConnell himself has openly talked about some aspects of them.
he Justice Department, for example, just two weeks ago filed a brief opposing the public release of secret legal opinions about the program—even in redacted form—on the grounds that any disclosure beyond a one-sentence comment earlier this year by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales would “cause serious damage to the national security of the United States.” (The existence of one of those rulings was first disclosed by NEWSWEEK this summer and publicly confirmed by McConnell in an interview with the El Paso Times in August. The ACLU last month filed an unprecedented motion with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court seeking public release of its rulings about the surveillance program.)

The flap over McConnell’s latest statements is especially sensitive because many Democrats have said they felt the White House and the director of national intelligence stampeded them into passing the new surveillance law—claiming it was needed on an “emergency” basis to protect the country against a future terror attack. Speaking Wednesday at a meeting of the Council on Foreign Relations in Washington, Rep. Jane Harman, who was ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee until she was bumped from the committee earlier this year, charged that McConnell had politicized negotiations over the bill. He "appeared to be taking orders from the White House, negotiating for the White House," said Harman. The role he played, "whether he intended it or not, appeared to be political," she said. "Hey—Jane to Mike," she said. "Don't become a political actor."

McConnell's testimony that the new law helped in the German case was especially striking—since it seemed to contradict public statements by American and German officials about how the plot was exposed. About 10 months ago—long before the new law was put into effect—guards at a U.S. military base near Frankfurt noted a suspicious individual conducting surveillance outside the facility. U.S. military officials tipped off German authorities, who quickly identified the individual and several accomplices as militants affiliated with the Islamic Jihad Union, a violent Al Qaeda-linked group. The Germans kept the group under surveillance for months and discovered evidence that the militants—some of whom had been to an Islamic Jihad Union training camp in Pakistan—were assembling chemicals for bombing attacks on American military installations in Germany. (The U.S. Embassy in Berlin issued a public warning last April that it had received intelligence reporting about threats against U.S. personnel in that country.) One U.S. intelligence official described the law-enforcement operation as a case of “good old-fashioned police work.”

Yet when McConnell testified before the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, he cited the German case as an example of how the new Protect America Act was working. The law, he started to say, "allowed us to see and understand all the connections with ..." At that point, Lieberman, the committee chair, interrupted McConnell. Lieberman expressed surprise that the law might have contributed to the German counterterror operation. "The newly adopted law facilitated that during August?" he asked.

"Yes, sir, it did,” McConnell responded. “The connections to Al Qaeda, the connections specifically to what's referred to as IJU, the Islamic Jihad Union, an affiliate of Al Qaeda. Because we could understand it, we could help our partners through a long process of monitoring and observation ... And so at the right time, when Americans and German facilities were being targeted, the German authorities decided to move."

Counterterrorism officials familiar with the background of McConnell's testimony said they did not believe the intel czar made inaccurate statements intentionally as part of any strategy by the administration to goad Congress into making the new eavesdropping law permanent. Officials said they believed McConnell gave the wrong answer because he was overwhelmed with information and merely mixed up his facts. Nonetheless, some officials said, as news of McConnell's misstatements spread, it would be in the intelligence director's best interests to correct his testimony—advice he is now heeding.

What? A regular, by-the-book police investigation? Jack Bauer didn't rip out one of the suspects' jugular veins with his teeth?

boutons_
09-13-2007, 04:12 PM
"arrests [in Germany] was not collected under authorities provided by the 'Protect America Act'."

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Yoni and ilk owned again. McConnel lied.

Germans did it like real intelligence agencies, not like the fuckers in USA who allowed WTC to happen, sitting at their screens, accruing pension, chewing throught $50B in budget/year, and warming their seats.

Then whimpering that they couldn't have caught WTC attackers because the law tited their hands, and they must violate the Geneva convention and US Constitution to fight terror. What a bunch of wimpy fakers.