PDA

View Full Version : Last chance to repeat

rob5
09-08-2007, 11:46 AM
The four Championships are great but since the team is getting older I think this is the last chance to repeat and legitimize there dynasty in the the eyes of everyone. Would love to see it happen.

SAtown
09-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Should we really care what everyone else thinks about whether the Spurs are a legitimate dynasty?

rob5
09-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Should we really care what everyone else thinks about whether the Spurs are a legitimate dynasty?
No. But it would be sweet to repeat.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Then what's the point of this thread?

Switchman
09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree with OP.

Now or Never.

boutons_
09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes, pretty much the last chance for repeat.

If they fail in 08, that would mean a repeat pushed to 09 + 10, when Tim and Manu would be 3 years older and 3 years slower and more vulnerable than 07.

There's no question that Tim/Pop have built a dynasty. A repeat is the one gem missing from their their crown that other dynasties have.

Fast Dunk
09-08-2007, 12:54 PM
They aren't a dynasty...

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Sure...

Switchman
09-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Lebron isn't a King.

SpursDynasty
09-08-2007, 01:11 PM
The four Championships are great but since the team is getting older I think this is the last chance to repeat and legitimize there dynasty in the the eyes of everyone. Would love to see it happen.

I thought 2006 was their last chance to win a championship and they were too old and unathletic? :lol

Why did they win this year then?

FromWayDowntown
09-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Why did they win this year then?

A remarkably fortunate draw through the playoffs against three teams that are improving, but are not good enough to be considered truly elite teams and a fourth matchup against a team that couldn't keep its composure when it mattered most. The Spurs were good in the 2007 playoffs, but they were also quite fortunate, too.

Mister Sinister
09-08-2007, 01:32 PM
They aren't a dynasty...
Cavs aren't a team...

exstatic
09-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Spurs will be title contenders every year that Tim is suited up.

urunobili
09-08-2007, 02:21 PM
i think it's fare to say that if we don;t repeat and then we win non 2009 yet again... the Spurs r blessed in the odd years...

duncan228
09-08-2007, 02:33 PM

mikeanthony21
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
They aren't a dynasty...

So says the fan of the team that got their collective asses swept in the Finals.

diego
09-08-2007, 03:05 PM
not the last chance, but definitely the best- we brought everyone back and added another defensive wing, and two years from now we will be older and who knows how the western playoff landscape might change

ducks
09-08-2007, 05:25 PM
spurs will be title contenders when duncan retires
it might be awhile but they will be back

Switchman
09-08-2007, 06:37 PM
i think it's fare to say that if we don;t repeat and then we win non 2009 yet again... the Spurs r blessed in the odd years...

Tells me they can't keep their hunger up in years after "reaching the top".

dg7md
09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
They aren't a dynasty...

We ONLY have four championships.

timmy21_4rings
09-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Agree. Last chance to repeat in TD's era.

duncan228
09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Tells me they can't keep their hunger up in years after "reaching the top".

I remember Duncan saying during the '05-'06 season that it was even harder every night because every team brought their "A Game" to play the defending Champs.

I don't know if it's complacency or just getting worn out because the 82 games seem harder as defending champs. I think he said it felt like there was a target on their back. Not to mention the Planter Fasciitis.

I would hope that the Spurs, and Duncan in particular, are hungry enough this year for the repeat and can maintain the focus (and health) to play through a long season to get there.

I don't care whether the Spurs are a "dynasty" or not. I just think the repeat is missing from Duncan's otherwise almost perfect resume. (A DPOY would be nice but I think his chance for that is behind him. Too bad, he deserved one.)

Duncan came into last season in great shape, with a chip on his shoulder and a summer's rest. If he comes into camp the same way this year I like our chances.

biba
09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Dunk

They aren't a dynasty...

I'm fed up with this guy. No reasoning, no respect.

He is a disease and has nothing to do with Spurstalk.

Fast Dunk shouldn't be allowed on this forum.

duncan228
09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm fed up with this guy. No reasoning, no respect.

He is a disease and has nothing to do with Spurstalk.

Fast Dunk shouldn't be allowed on this forum.

Fast Dunk is one of many.

The thing I like about SpursTalk is the freedom Kori allows here.

Don't get me wrong, Fast Dunk and his kind can aggravate me too.
It is a Spurs Forum, but all are allowed their point of view.

Even if it's ridiculous.

There are many fans of other teams here that engage in worthwhile conversation. Use ignore for the ones that cross your line of endurance.

biba
09-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I guess you're right.

But in the name of FREEDOM should we have to accept everything in OUR home ?

:depressed

duncan228
09-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I guess you're right.

But in the name of FREEDOM should we have to accept everything in OUR home ?

:depressed

It's hard, I hear you.

But it probably would be boring if it were just Spurs fans.
Different points of view keep us thinking. (And :dizzy and :madrun and :wtf and :ihit )

I agree with you on the respect issue.
Kori's lines are looser than mine would be! :lol
But that's what ignore is for. Use it, you'll feel better!

Kori Ellis
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Fast Dunk isn't a Cavs fan. He's been banned many times under his multiple screen names and IP addresses over the years. He just continues to re-surface.

IMO, if someone is that frickin' desperate to post, then we might as well let them. We wouldn't want him to kill himself or anything just because he can't get on SpursTalk.

Eventually maybe some of the knowledge spread on the board will sink through his head. In the meantime, add him to your Ignore List in your control panel.

duncan228
09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Fast Dunk isn't a Cavs fan.

What other teams has he been a "fan" of?

Nothing you said surprises me, he seems like a stubborn type!

Just curious, has it always been the East or does he just pick a team that's not the Spurs?

Kori Ellis
09-08-2007, 09:39 PM
What other teams has he been a "fan" of?

Nothing you said surprises me, he seems like a stubborn type!

Just curious, has it always been the East or does he just pick a team that's not the Spurs?

He picks a new frontrunner other than the Spurs everytime, not necessarily East. He just became a Cavs fan last season.

biba
09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
So be it.

You're great Kori.

And maybe he will be touched by ... your greatness.

duncan228
09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
He picks a new frontrunner other than the Spurs everytime, not necessarily East. He just became a Cavs fan last season.

:lmao

I wonder if he'll have to retire Fast Dunk and come back under another name now that he's been outed.

Vbookie on the team? :lol
Celtics as the new frontrunner?

biba
09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I bet on Houston.

duncan228
09-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I bet on Houston.

Careful...There's a few Rockets fans that you'll need ignore for! :lol

biba
09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Well ... I never practiced the Ignore List stuff.

Though it now sounds as a great invention :)

Fast Dunk
09-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Well ... I never practiced the Ignore List stuff.

Though it now sounds as a great invention :)

:sleep :cry :cry

Fast Dunk
09-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Fast Dunk isn't a Cavs fan. He's been banned many times under his multiple screen names and IP addresses over the years. He just continues to re-surface.

IMO, if someone is that frickin' desperate to post, then we might as well let them. We wouldn't want him to kill himself or anything just because he can't get on SpursTalk.

Eventually maybe some of the knowledge spread on the board will sink through his head. In the meantime, add him to your Ignore List in your control panel.

Whatever!!!

Rapper
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Maybe Tim can play well until 40 years old

that mean we can take more and more championships in the future

must be~

Roxsfan
09-08-2007, 11:54 PM

that may be true in the past and perhaps this season, but it may become homer-bs very soon as Tim enters his twilight years.

exstatic
09-09-2007, 12:39 AM
that may be true in the past and perhaps this season, but it may become homer-bs very soon as Tim enters his twilight years.
Realistically, his "twilight" years won't be much different from now. Fundamentals don't desert you, and he's never been dependent on athleticism, which is what does. If he wanted to, he could play another decade and make one of the 3 All NBA teams every year. I'm thinking, though, that he'll probably play somewhere between 3 and 6 more years.

The Truth #6
09-09-2007, 12:40 AM
I think the dynasty term is backwards.

So, if you win two in a row and then suck for ten years you are a "dynasty"?

I think the Spurs epitomize dynasty - they've been damn good for a really long time. How is that not a dynasty?

Demo Dick Marcinko
09-09-2007, 12:40 AM

True, but rocket fans don't get your hopes set too high. Remember that Yao, has a long history with the injury bug. In 2005 he had surgery on his big toe of the left foot for an acute case of osteomyelitis, then in 2006 he had surgery to repair a broken bone, again on his left foot. Fast forward to Dec 2006 when he fractured his right tibia. How many great athletes have retired due to bad feet and legs. Will his tender joints and broken bones hold up the grind that is the NBA season, and how many of those seasons will he continue to be effective?

TMac is not what he used to be. How many games has he missed in the last 2 years alone due to chronic back spasms? Don't you remember the TNT interview where he talked about his body slowing down? He even went on to claim that he was not as explosive as he used to be. Back issues are such an unknown, but we Spurs fans know what it did to the Admiral, it forced him to retire due to constant pain and diminished effectiveness.

As great as Ming and TMac have been, they've never been known as clutch players evidenced by the fact that they've yet to sniff the second round. So while Duncan may be approaching his twilight years, the rockets predicament may be just as dire. I just can't see Yao's and TMac's body's holding up for very much longer. Rocket fans better hope they win it all this year because their window may be even smaller then the Spurs.

Roxsfan
09-09-2007, 12:43 AM

That is pretty cool of you. I hope he appreciates that.

Demo Dick Marcinko
09-09-2007, 12:45 AM
I think the dynasty term is backwards.

So, if you win two in a row and then suck for ten years you are a "dynasty"?

I think the Spurs epitomize dynasty - they've been damn good for a really long time. How is that not a dynasty?

People universally recognize Bird's Celts as a dynasty and he only won 3 championships in 81, 84 and 86. People do and will continue to recognize the Spurs as a dynasty. If someone claims otherwise, all I can say is "consider the source." And they never repeated. Spurs accomplishments are legit, no validation required.

Roxsfan
09-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Roxsfan comments underlined below:

True, but rocket fans don't get your hopes set too high. Remember that Yao, has a long history with the injury bug. In 2005 he had surgery on his big toe of the left foot for an acute case of osteomyelitis, Let me enlighten you here. Yao's foot was stepped on repeatedly and b/c he wanted to be tough and play through the "annoying" but not serious pain and did not tell the trainers about the extent of "nagging" pain he had..this resulted in an infection that spread to the bone. Yao knows now that if this occurs again to tell the trainers, & he can be held out precautionarily and given antiobiotics instead of dealing quietly with the pain in a macho kind of way. Poor fitting shoes also contributed or facilitated some nail issues on his big toes. All of his shoe fitment issues have been corrected.

then in 2006 he had surgery to repair a broken bone, again on his left foot. You say AGAIN on his left foot as if to imply that it was related to his big-toe infection. I have news for you, it was NOT related at fucking all. Yao was fighting for position in the paint and Okur kicked the SIDE of his foot(not the front/toes) causing a small fracture that only b/c of his 300 lb frame was of significance. AK47, seconds later stepped on the same area of his foot.

Fast forward to Dec 2006 when he fractured his right tibia
Again, this was a freak incident in which 2 players(tim thomas and c.hayes both impacted his leg...450lbs into your leg)that on any other player would have resulted in larger fracture and soft-tissue damage, arthritis, weight-gain and diminished mobility; none of which happened to Yao. In fact, doctors and trainers alike have agreed that his leg/knee is stronger than prior to the hairline fracture thanks in part to his tree-trunk lower body and very-quick healing body and disciplined rehab.

Will his tender joints and broken bones hold up the grind that is the NBA season,
Yao does NOT have tender joints nor any lingering or reccuring injuries or fractures.

and how many of those seasons will he continue to be effective?
He will be effective, posting great numbers and playing team ball.

TMac is not what he used to be. How many games has he missed in the last 2 years alone due to chronic back spasms? Don't you remember the TNT interview where he talked about his body slowing down? He even went on to claim that he was not as explosive as he used to be.
Tmac does have a sensitive back and with treatments from the Waco-back therapist John Patterson, he has had no serious issues or time loss from his back like he did in 05-06.

As great as Ming and TMac have been, they've never been known as clutch players evidenced by the fact that they've yet to sniff the second round.
You act like they have played together for 7 yrs :rolleyes . In 04-05, they had the misfortune to land a HOT mavs team in the first round and forced the series to 7 games and 05-06 was injury plagued beyond belief and 06-07 they forced the jazz to 7 games with no offensive help beyond tmac and yao and with yao coming back from the fracture after missing 1/2 the season.

So while Duncan may be approaching his twilight years, the rockets predicament may be just as dire.
I don't agree here, however there is only so much time left for this duo to get it together. I am hoping with the new scoring threats added along with a deeper bench and offensive minded(and defensive too) coach in RA, things should be on the up and up for Yao, Tmac and the rockets. You better hope they don't stay healthy, b/c they will defeat your tim-led spurs. .

Fast Dunk
09-10-2007, 02:54 AM
That is pretty cool of you. I hope he appreciates that.

Fuck no!!!

I own this bitch...