PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Lever Pedroza to Spurs Training Camp

Darkwaters
09-09-2007, 03:21 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have invited to training camp ex-CDO basketball whiz Anthony Lever Pedroza, a break-out star for Mexico in the recent FIBA Americas championships in Las Vegas. Ironically, after a tepid summer-league performance, ex-Wildcat Marcus Williams is not yet sure he will be with the Spurs in next month's training camp. Here's what Williams, the Spurs' second-round draft pick and No. 33 overall, stands to lose if San Antonio doesn't elect to sign him: ex-USC guard Gabe Pruitt, the No. 32 overall pick, by Boston, last week signed a two-year guaranteed contract worth $427,000 this year and $711,000 next season. …

www.azstarnet.com Tucson, Arizona | Published: 09.09.2007

Pedroza's stats from the FIBA Americas Tournament:
http://www.2007lasvegas.fibaamericas.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fibaAmer/men/teamPlay/play/p/competitioncode//eventid/3965/langlc/en/playernumber/44381/roundid/3965/searchstr//season//teamnumber/328/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html

credit biba for the find.

dimsah
09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
If he's not good enough then fuck'em.

Samr
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
ok, here's what I've found on this guy:

Anthony Lever-Pedroza:
http://www.asvel.com/images/news/PEDROZA.jpg
height: 6'3"
weight: 185 lbs
position: guard
place of birth: USA

here's the breakdown of all the stats (http://www.2007lasvegas.fibaamericas.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fibaAmer/men/teamPlay/play/p/competitioncode//eventid/3965/langlc/en/playernumber/44381/roundid/3965/searchstr//season//teamnumber/328/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html) for the FIBA 2007 Tournament in Las Vegas (very impressive, especially the game where he dropped 19 pts, had 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and shot 4/6 from beyond the arc in 30 minutes AGAINST TEAM USA)

that page includes.... some totals from that tourney:
games: 8
pts: 104
stls: 16
asts: 18
rebs 26

Bruno
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Is he a SG or A PG ?

On a side note, CJ Watson hasn't signed with a team in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in training camp.

biba
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
And this :

When he played at Canyon del Oro High School, Anthony Norwood was the city's best high school basketball player. He then went to Oregon and helped the Ducks to the 2002 NCAA Elite Eight, having changed his name to Anthony Lever; he is the son of former Pueblo High School two-time state champion and NBA All-Star Fat Lever. In the ongoing FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas, his name in the box score is Anthony Lever Pedroza, where he starts for the Mexican National team in its bid to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Pedroza is Anthony's mother's maiden name; she is a native of Sonora. By any name, the former CDO star is playing the best basketball of his life. He averaged 15 points and 28 minutes as the Mexican team split its first two games. …
www.azstarnet.com Tucson, Arizona | Published: 08.26.2007

And that on a forum :

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
He played at Oregon, posting a team record of over 50% from range on 01-02.

Reason I ask is he was signed by the Suns yesterday.

Wondering about your opinions of the kid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TucsonDon10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I went to school with him in Eugene, and I cannot imagine why an NBA team would seriously consider him for a roster spot. He's a good shooter with limited athleticism and an average handle. He's not that quick, and he isn't a playmaker. He's not going to make the team, JMark...I'd be real surprised, anyways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 03:33 PM
He competed in the FIBAAmericas Tournament, notching averages of 9.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists in about 26 minutes per game.

Strangly enough, he shot just 2/12 from range in the Tournament.

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I figure, namely because of the depth at his position, but it's just such an odd move, because they had a bead on two players, Stephen Graham and Lonny Jones, yet chose this kid over him.

Odd...

catgrad9710-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I believe he is Lafayette "Fat" Lever's son, or nephew. Dude played at Amphi in the late '90s.

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, he's Fat's kid.

DCCat10-02-2005, 02:37 AM
He played as Anthony Norwood while at Oregon. He's changed his name twice since.

beardownbaby10-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Not that it matters, but I feel like nitpicking: Norwood starred at Canyon del Oro HS and graduated in 1997. He led Southern Arizona in scoring with something like a 28 points-per-game average as a senior.

Didn't know he was Fat's son until his senior year at Oregon, I believe.

Like others said, he does not have anywhere near the ability to play in the NBA, but -- like everyone else -- I haven't seen him since the UO days. He could have improved significantly enough to warrant a chance with the Suns.

WisconsinCAT10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I believe he is Lafayette "Fat" Lever's son, or nephew. Dude played at Amphi in the late '90s.

I thought he played at CDO not Amphi.

Jason Scheer10-28-2005, 03:05 AM
He was waived today.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=36914

biba
09-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Pour Bruno:

LEVER-PEDROZA REJOINT L'ADECCO ASVEL
Actualité Posté le Lundi 2 Janvier 2006
L’Adecco ASVEL annonce la signature du jouer américain Anthony Lever-Pedroza, né le 7 mars 1979 à Tucson (Arizona). Ce joueur de 1m91, qui évolue sur les postes 1 et 2, évoluait en vétéran camp avec les Phoenix Suns. En 2004 / 2005, il évoluait à « Tecos de la UAG » au Mexique. Il évoluera sous les couleurs villeurbannaises avec le numéro 16 en championnat et en coupe d'Europe. Il est à l'essai pour 15 jours renouvelables.

Pro A: L'Asvel coupe Lever-Pedroza
13/02/2006 - 07:34
Pas satisfait du rendement de l'arrière Anthony Lever-Pedroza (3 points de moyenne en 6 matches de Pro A), l'Asvel a décidé de mettre fin à la pige de l'Américain qui repartira chez lui dans la semaine.

ducks
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Is he a SG or A PG ?

On a side note, CJ Watson hasn't signed with a team in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in training camp.
please no cj watson at camp

ducks
09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
spurs want beno to work in camp

Darkwaters
09-09-2007, 04:53 PM
spurs want beno to work in camp

Interestingly, theres a note that the Spurs are talking further with Troy Hudson. So that comment is probably more accurate than you might think.

Samr
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Interestingly, theres a note that the Spurs are talking further with Troy Hudson. So that comment is probably more accurate than you might think.

Right now the rotation is obviously Vaughn/Udrih because those guys have actual contracts, but is Beno's departure really as realistic as it is seeming at this point? Looks to me like they're showing the guy the door and hoping he walks out it himself.

But potentially the Spurs are looking at the 2nd/3rd pg with:

Beno Udrih
Alex Garcia
Troy Hudson
Anthony Lever-Pedroza

That right? Is there anyone else I'm missing that's in real consideration?

ChumpDumper
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
spurs want beno to be at another team's campThat's more accurate.

pad300
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Right now the rotation is obviously Vaughn/Udrih because those guys have actual contracts, but is Beno's departure really as realistic as it is seeming at this point? Looks to me like they're showing the guy the door and hoping he walks out it himself.

Beno Udrih
Alex Garcia
Troy Hudson
Anthony Lever-Pedroza

/RANT ON

Can we please PLEASE PLEASE bring in some real small forwards...

People 6'7 to 6'10, 210 to 240... Just so we can try a small ball lineup that isn't fucking tinyball with 4 fucking guards on the floor. I realize Pop likes small ball. He thinks it's a good option to have. But I'd like to see someone other than Finley and Bowen playing PF in our small ball alignment. GET A REAL SF TO PLAY SMALL BALL PF, NOT A SG!

There are lots of possibles. Say figure a way to get Demetris Nichols (who's never making the roster, they already have 16 guaranteed contracts and a glut at SF) out from the Knicks clutches, Florent Pietrus from Europe (Michael Pietrus's older brother), Yaroslav Korolev, Reyshawn Terry, Derrick Byars. (note that Byars, Terry, and Demetris are all 2nd round picks caught in roster jams, Philly, Dallas and Knicks respectively). Chumpdumper plus TiMVP can probably name two dozen more prospects like this without trying...

For Fucks sake, can we please start this season with a REAL SF on the roster!

/RANT OFF

Phenomanul
09-09-2007, 10:59 PM
/RANT ON

Can we please PLEASE PLEASE bring in some real small forwards...

People 6'7 to 6'10, 210 to 240... Just so we can try a small ball lineup that isn't fucking tinyball with 4 fucking guards on the floor. I realize Pop likes small ball. He thinks it's a good option to have. But I'd like to see someone other than Finley and Bowen playing PF in our small ball alignment. GET A REAL SF TO PLAY SMALL BALL PF, NOT A SG!

There are lots of possibles. Say figure a way to get Demetris Nichols (who's never making the roster, they already have 16 guaranteed contracts and a glut at SF) out from the Knicks clutches, Florent Pietrus from Europe (Michael Pietrus's older brother), Yaroslav Korolev, Reyshawn Terry, Derrick Byars. (note that Byars, Terry, and Demetris are all 2nd round picks caught in roster jams, Philly, Dallas and Knicks respectively). Chumpdumper plus TiMVP can probably name two dozen more prospects like this without trying...

For Fucks sake, can we please start this season with a REAL SF on the roster!

/RANT OFF

Bruce Bowen,
Ime Udoka,
Michael Finley

pad300
09-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Bruce Bowen,
Ime Udoka,
Michael Finley

All of whom are SG's... We don't have a real SF on the roster; it's why people like Bonzi Wells have a field day against us. Like it or not, in the current incarnation of the NBA, 6'5" to 6'7", < 210lbs is a SG, not an SF. We don't have a player like that on the roster, and we really should find one.

Solid D
09-10-2007, 12:59 AM
All of whom are SG's... We don't have a real SF on the roster; it's why people like Bonzi Wells have a field day against us. Like it or not, in the current incarnation of the NBA, 6'5" to 6'7", < 210lbs is a SG, not an SF. We don't have a player like that on the roster, and we really should find one.

That's not necessarily true, pad300. It's nice to have a SF at 6'8" or taller but in an age of college and NBA teams going with 3 guards or small lineups, the current incarnation of the NBA isn't so stereotypical. In many offenses, the 2 and 3 spot are interchangeable wing players. The Spurs' offense is based on this philosophy. From a defensive standpoint, it's good to have a taller and/or longer wing to defend the bigger players...but it has become less of a factor these days, since teams go small so often.

MrChug
09-10-2007, 01:31 AM
He's The Son Of Fat Lever!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! ?!?

Sign Him Now...

I'm serious. That guy was a tough gritty player who did everything. If his son has a genetic link, we need that.

MoSpur
09-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I remember Fat Lever. Didn't he play for the Nuggets?

pad300
09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
That's not necessarily true, pad300. It's nice to have a SF at 6'8" or taller but in an age of college and NBA teams going with 3 guards or small lineups, the current incarnation of the NBA isn't so stereotypical. In many offenses, the 2 and 3 spot are interchangeable wing players. The Spurs' offense is based on this philosophy. From a defensive standpoint, it's good to have a taller and/or longer wing to defend the bigger players...but it has become less of a factor these days, since teams go small so often.

Yes, more teams are playing smaller ball with 3 guard offenses (sometimes even a 4 guard offence, like our version of small ball). An offensive scheme like that plays into the Spurs hands - we have a bunch of decent defenders at guard sizes - Bowen, Manu, Vaughn, Parker, even Finley and Barry are decent in the team concept (and now Udoka). However, there is a definate hole in the scheme - perimeter players with power. Guys like Bonzi, Ron Artest, even Lebron James ( when he doesn't fall in love with his jumpshot). I would like to see this hole addressed, and I think it can be with the addition of a "real SF" as described above. We can even do it on the cheap; there are a lot of players like that about, again as given above. Finally, the other thing to consider is that aggresive players in that physical mold, are one of the things that really do trouble Dirk on a consistent basis; and having a secondary option (if Bowen gets in foul trouble, gets injured, or just the need for a change of scheme/pace) is a very good idea when dealing with perhaps our most dangerous potential challenger.

So Pop, get off your butt and get some real SF's into training camp. Let's find ourselves a "keeper" and work him into the system...

Solid D
09-10-2007, 10:29 AM
The two players I have been most impressed with in defending Dirk Nowitzki were Matt Barnes (6'-7", 226 lbs) and Udonis Haslem (6'-8", 235).

JMarkJohns
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
And this :

When he played at Canyon del Oro High School, Anthony Norwood was the city's best high school basketball player. He then went to Oregon and helped the Ducks to the 2002 NCAA Elite Eight, having changed his name to Anthony Lever; he is the son of former Pueblo High School two-time state champion and NBA All-Star Fat Lever. In the ongoing FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas, his name in the box score is Anthony Lever Pedroza, where he starts for the Mexican National team in its bid to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Pedroza is Anthony's mother's maiden name; she is a native of Sonora. By any name, the former CDO star is playing the best basketball of his life. He averaged 15 points and 28 minutes as the Mexican team split its first two games. …
www.azstarnet.com Tucson, Arizona | Published: 08.26.2007

And that on a forum :

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
He played at Oregon, posting a team record of over 50% from range on 01-02.

Reason I ask is he was signed by the Suns yesterday.

Wondering about your opinions of the kid.

TucsonDon10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I went to school with him in Eugene, and I cannot imagine why an NBA team would seriously consider him for a roster spot. He's a good shooter with limited athleticism and an average handle. He's not that quick, and he isn't a playmaker. He's not going to make the team, JMark...I'd be real surprised, anyways.

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 03:33 PM
He competed in the FIBAAmericas Tournament, notching averages of 9.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists in about 26 minutes per game.

Strangly enough, he shot just 2/12 from range in the Tournament.

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I figure, namely because of the depth at his position, but it's just such an odd move, because they had a bead on two players, Stephen Graham and Lonny Jones, yet chose this kid over him.

Odd...

catgrad9710-01-2005, 04:00 PM

JMarkJohns10-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, he's Fat's kid.

DCCat10-02-2005, 02:37 AM
He played as Anthony Norwood while at Oregon. He's changed his name twice since.

beardownbaby10-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Not that it matters, but I feel like nitpicking: Norwood starred at Canyon del Oro HS and graduated in 1997. He led Southern Arizona in scoring with something like a 28 points-per-game average as a senior.

Didn't know he was Fat's son until his senior year at Oregon, I believe.

Like others said, he does not have anywhere near the ability to play in the NBA, but -- like everyone else -- I haven't seen him since the UO days. He could have improved significantly enough to warrant a chance with the Suns.

WisconsinCAT10-04-2005, 09:30 PM

I thought he played at CDO not Amphi.

Jason Scheer10-28-2005, 03:05 AM
He was waived today.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=36914

Deja vu :spin

biba
09-10-2007, 01:24 PM
JMarkJohns, so it was you in that forum 2.5 years ago! :toast

You didn't seem to be too high about this guy at that time. What's your view today?

pad300
09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
The two players I have been most impressed with in defending Dirk Nowitzki were Matt Barnes (6'-7", 226 lbs) and Udonis Haslem (6'-8", 235).

People 6'7 to 6'10, 210 to 240

Right in the wheelhouse, hey?
Other Effective players
SJax 6'8" 218
Ryan Bowen 6'9" 218 (remember the rockets - dallas series that went to 7?)
T-Mac 6'8" 223 (remember the rockets - dallas series that went to 7?)

Spurs Players
Bowen 6'7" 200 - Much lighter than most effective Dirk defenders; Dirk can use his rudimentary post up game effectively

Finley 6'7" 225 - a) 225 my butt! He hasn't got 25 lbs on Bowen, just look at the pair them

http://www.sacbee.com/static/live/user_photo/lg_kings_gallery0506_8485.jpg

http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/74581436.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933D389E1A66A48986DC4701F877304017 2EB91351E93EAB65

http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/57606237.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19396908EAF14430D35C22CDADBAF5772AD C9E09639058EF16C

b) he's a relatively weak one on one defender

Udoka 6'5" 220 - Might work quite well on the Bonzi Wells type power wing, but he's just too damn short for Dirk not to shoot over.

Matt Bonner 6'10" 240 - He fits the parameters best, but a superior athelete he isn't ...

remingtonbo2001
09-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Right in the wheelhouse, hey?
Other Effective players
SJax 6'8" 218
Ryan Bowen 6'9" 218 (remember the rockets - dallas series that went to 7?)
T-Mac 6'8" 223 (remember the rockets - dallas series that went to 7?)

Spurs Players
Bowen 6'7" 200 - Much lighter than most effective Dirk defenders; Dirk can use his rudimentary post up game effectively

Finley 6'7" 225 - a) 225 my butt! He hasn't got 25 lbs on Bowen, just look at the pair them

http://www.sacbee.com/static/live/user_photo/lg_kings_gallery0506_8485.jpg

http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/74581436.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933D389E1A66A48986DC4701F877304017 2EB91351E93EAB65

http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/57606237.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19396908EAF14430D35C22CDADBAF5772AD C9E09639058EF16C

b) he's a relatively weak one on one defender

Udoka 6'5" 220 - Might work quite well on the Bonzi Wells type power wing, but he's just too damn short for Dirk not to shoot over.

Matt Bonner 6'10" 240 - He fits the parameters best, but a superior athelete he isn't ...

Don't care how much someone weighs or how tall they may be....JUST GET THE JOB DONE.

pad300
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't care how much someone weighs or how tall they may be....JUST GET THE JOB DONE.

True, the only thing that really counts is indeed GETTING THE JOB DONE. If we can find a 5'2" 120lb one legged eskimo who can do the job, fine. More power to him, cut the guy a cheque. On the other hand, getting the job done, is rendered much more likely (or so shows history) by having someone who fits the above physical description. But we still currently have a weakness at dealing with power wing players, and Dirk busting.

JMarkJohns
09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
JMarkJohns, so it was you in that forum 2.5 years ago! :toast

You didn't seem to be too high about this guy at that time. What's your view today?

That he's probably training camp fodder, but he can shoot. Isn't athletic enough for most NBA teams. Maybe no NBA teams. Not as smart a player as Kerr, so he can't just be the designated shooter.

I haven't seen much of him in a few years. Obviously he has some significant skill, but does said skill overrule his glaring inability?

And I'm still on that forum. Since 2004...

urunobili
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Beno Udrih
Alex Garcia
Troy Hudson
Anthony Lever-Pedroza

can someone make a poll to c which one they'd take as their 3rd guard for next season? i'd take Garcia

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Garcia>Hudson+Beno+Lever-Pedroza

Spurs Brazil
09-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Quiere su lugar en el campeón

Anthony Lever Pedroza firmó un contrato con los Spurs pero no está garantizado, por lo que hará todo lo posible por quedarse en el plantel

CIUDAD DE MEXICO -- El base mexico-americano Anthony Lever Pedroza buscará un lugar en el roster de los Spurs de San Antonio, según confirmó el propio jugador.

Lever Pedroza, quien es hijo del ex jugador de la NBA, Lafayette Fat Lever, jugó por México en el pasado torneo Preolímpico de Las Vegas, donde promedió 13 puntos, 3.2 rebotes y dos robos por encuentro.

"Es un contrato, pero no está garantizado, sino hasta después del entrenamiento", dijo Pedroza.

El jugador, quien pasó dos años con la Universidad de Oregon, estuvo coqueteando con la NBA desde el año pasado, cuando los Suns de Phoenix lo firmaron por una temporada, pero no pudo hacer el roster final, aquejado por una lesión.

Lever Pedroza tuvo una buena actuación en el Preolímpico en el encuentro entre México y Estados Unidos, donde metió 19 puntos, repartió seis asistencias y bajó cuatro rebotes.

En caso de quedarse con un lugar en el roster final de los Spurs, Pedroza se convertiría en el tercer mexicano en jugar en la NBA, después de Horacio Llamas (Phoenix) y Eduardo Nájera, quien actualmente juega para Denver.

Lever piensa que será complicado seguir esos pasos, especialmente porque tratará de quedarse en el roster del equipo campeón y uno de los más dominantes de la última década.

"Es un poquito complicado, porque yo sé que Tony Parker está aquí, Jacque Vaughn y Beno Udrih, entonces, vamos a ver si me quedo aquí. El equipo tiene confianza en mí y voy a echar todo", afirmó el jugador.

Lever Pedroza, quien nació en Tucson, Arizona, mide 1.87 metros y tiene 28 años de edad. Su padre, Lafayette Lever, jugó 11 temporadas en la NBA, con Portland, Denver y Dallas.

Los Spurs aceptaron que hay contacto con el jugador. Aunque no hay firma.

"Hay algo con él, pero en este momento no podemos anunciar su firma, cuando lo esté, lo daremos a conocer a todos", dijo el vocero del equipo, Kriss Davis.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=599312&s=bas&type=story

Samr
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
So it's a non-guaranteed contract which converts to a guaranteed contract if he makes it through training camp?

If that's the case, Angel_Luv might want to start writing her goodbye cards for Beno. He's as good as gone now. Today is a great day for the city of San Antonio.