PDA

View Full Version : =Having to put your pet to sleep=

=RTM=
09-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Is there anything worst?
My friend Logan had to put his long time pet Sarah to sleep this weekend, I hoping ST pet lovers could show some support for him and his family.
thanks.

http://p078.ezboard.com/Sarah-the-dog/f550undergroundfrm7.showMessage?topicID=12492.topi c

You can use my screen name if you don't have an Ez-board account.

RackTheMouse
pw-shagtime

http://www.chrisduel.com/SarahGif.gif

Mister Sinister
09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
:cry I had to have my dog, Louis, put to sleep about a year ago. He had cancer.

Beno Udrih
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
:( poor dog.

Sunshine
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
About 4 months ago, my sister had to put their golden lab down and it was a really sad day for her family. They'd had her for 14 years and her husband started noticing that she wasn't as frisky and active as normal, and one morning when he went out in the backyard to feed and play with her, she didn't get up, she just layed there looking up at him and wagging her tail. He took her to the vet and he said she had a very swift moving cancer and there was nothing they could do for her.

samikeyp
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Been there too....it sucks.

ashbeeigh
09-09-2007, 08:23 PM
We put our 16 year old tabby to sleep a few weeks ago because of a colon tumor. :cry It's so sad. my thoughts are always with people who lose a pet.

tlongII
09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I usually just shoot my pets. It's quick and it's cheaper.

RashoFan
09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Tlong...do you kill your sheep...um girlfriends that way too?

=RTM=
09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you for your support.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/SARAH-rules.gif

RashoFan
09-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Please pass my sympathies on to your friend.

tlongII
09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Please pray for your dogs. It really helps. :rolleyes

lil'mo
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
sorry for your friends loss

why'd they have to put the bitch down?

mrsmaalox
09-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Such a difficult thing to go through; he can take comfort in knowing he did the right thing.

WHOTTABITCH
09-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Thank you for your support.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Sarah-Smile.gif

Looks like this pet got golden showered.

smeagol
09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
My family had to put to sleep two dogs during my lifetime.

desflood
09-10-2007, 10:22 AM
We had to put our dog down last year. My kids still cry about it on occasion :(

Silver21_Black20
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
My dog would have been 14yrs old in March. I put him to sleep this morning. He was blind, deaf and becoming arthritic. The vet and I thought it was the best thing to do for him. I'll miss him. R.I.P Prince.

Also, Steven put his dog down this past Saturday. He was 10yrs old and also blind and depressed. R.I.P Guido.

sonic21
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Been there too....it sucks.

CuckingFunt
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
My dog would have been 14yrs old in March. I put him to sleep this morning. He was blind, deaf and becoming arthritic. The vet and I thought it was the best thing to do for him. I'll miss him. R.I.P Prince.

Also, Steven put his dog down this past Saturday. He was 10yrs old and also blind and depressed. R.I.P Guido.

Two pets within a couple of days? I would be a wreck. Condolences to both of you.

I. Hustle
12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
When my little bro went off to join the military I got my mom a puppy. She had for a few years and when my brother came back home my mom's dog got cancer that spread pretty quickly and she had to put her down. I felt really bad for her because she was really attached to her.

balli
12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I put my last two labs to sleep without too much personal trauma, but right now I have a golden retriever who is literally the best dog on Earth. When he dies, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to kill myself too.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8083/magnumgabrielpi8.jpg

Slydragon
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/gifs/puppy-prayers-01.jpg

ashbeeigh
12-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Oh my gosh Sandra! That's so sad. I'll be thinking of you both for quite some time. :depressed

romad_20
12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I usually just shoot my pets. It's quick and it's cheaper.

Good advice, especially for people who live in an apartment. I can see where you got that animal expert thing under your name :wow

My Dad is going through this right now. His dog is 15 and his kidneys are failing. Not much he can do. That dog has been with him through 2 divorces.

BruceBowenFan
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I hated the feeling when I had to put my first two labs to sleep.

Dr. Gonzo
12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
My dog was with my for 10 years and he was the most consistent part of my life for a long time. When things were really shitty for me I knew I always had him. Putting him down was extremely hard for me but I'm lucky to have had 10 great years with the little guy.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/Easter017-1.jpg

This is him as a pup.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/guidoandhismonkey.jpg

tlongII
12-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Time to get a new dog! :tu

Trainwreck2100
12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
So nobody here has had their animal run over, and had to do the deed themselves?`

tlongII
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
So nobody here has had their animal run over, and had to do the deed themselves?`

Yes, I have.

balli
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I saw a real big, healthy, male, yellow lab get creamed at like 40 mph while I was waiting at a red light. It fucked me up.

balli
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Get a komondor. It'll toss those wolves up, protect your loved ones.
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1009/50211678.JPG

tlongII
12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Get a komondor. It'll toss those wolves up, protect your loved ones.
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1009/50211678.JPG

That's an ugly dog dude. Too much hair.

Sp Ginobili 20
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
My cousin was driving out of shopping outlet when she found people crowding around on a corner, so she parked to see what everyone was looking at. It was a kitten that looked like it got hit, even though there was no blood or anything. She decided to bring it to the emergency room and pick me up so I could help her with getting directions and everything. We went to the emergency room and they later told us the kitten had internal bleeding in his brain, so they had to put him to sleep. It was one of the worst things to hear :cry

romad_20
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Not to get all preachy, but adopt if you can (unless you have need for a specific need for a specific breed):soapbox:

Anyway, it sucks to have to put down a dog ol' yeller-style. I wouldn't recommend it, I'd pay the money everytime not to have to again. I wouldn't have a problem doing it to any rabbits or deer or other game, even farm animals, but pets are just too hard to do that to. Its like having to shoot a best friend or kid because they're sick

Ginofan
12-09-2008, 09:17 PM
We've had to put countless cats and 2 dogs down. One of my still living cats is hitting the 16 year mark and I know it's coming very soon, she's already had to be put on a special diet for kidney disease. I dread the day we have to put her down. :(

manufor3
12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Its hard, i had a pet for 12 years and she got very sick

CuckingFunt
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I saw a real big, healthy, male, yellow lab get creamed at like 40 mph while I was waiting at a red light. It fucked me up.

About nine years ago, I was driving on the freeway and saw a dog jump out of the bed of some guy's pickup truck. Somehow, people managed to swerve enough to avoid hitting it (at least, as far as I could see, I have no idea what happened with the traffic behind me), but I'm sure the jump at freeway speed had to have killed him. It was horrible to watch, though, and if I hadn't had to stay calm enough to keep driving, I would have completely freaked out.

Udokafan05
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I was driving and saw a guy get into his van, and his dog was under the tire. By the time i stopped and got out of the car to try to stop him he had already hit him.

R.I.P.: Bean, Ranger, Sophie, and Pooch

debo
12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I hated having to put my dog to sleep.... but i felt a lot better in the morning when i woke him up for a walk

just kidding, my condolences

desflood
12-10-2008, 07:39 AM
We had to put one of our cats to sleep this weekend. None of the boys cared, but the girl and I cried on and off for most of Saturday.

JudynTX
12-10-2008, 09:01 AM
:( Give your friend my condolences.

Heath Ledger
12-10-2008, 12:07 PM
We had a 6 kittens all born with feline cancer, one by one we had to put them down over the course of 7 or 8 months. The mom lived for years after.

My female pit is approaching 10 years, I will be devastated when I have to put her down.

http://a447.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/109/l_91571a227d09e161c713d27005470136.jpg

http://a801.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_f12a47989e4524e203913a84eb0cea58.jpg

LuvBones
12-10-2008, 01:58 PM
This thread is so sad.. I'm so sorry to everyone who has lost their pet. :( That's what I hate about working at a vet, is when we have to put down one of our pets. I always cry.. my heart goes out to the animals and their owners.

The pictures in this thread are adorable though! Hey, if anyone is looking.. ready for a new dog/cat of any kind let me know. I know exactly where to get a new friend. ;)

RashoFan
12-10-2008, 10:00 PM
To everyone who lost a beloved friend/pet these last few days, My sympathies. I have gone through the same situation a few times.

mookie2001
12-10-2008, 10:06 PM
don't you mean "getting to"creme js final harvest is coming dah

ehz33satx
12-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Tlong...do you kill your sheep...um girlfriends that way too?

Not even sheep would be caught dead banging tlong's homely ass. Tlong at least has the Trailblazers and their championship aspirations this year to keep him feeling good about himself and life in general.

NOT!!!

Championship aspirations and Trailblazers in the same sentence!!!:lmao :lol:rollin :blah :rolleyes!!! Too dang funny!!! Cause its never gonna happen!:lmao:rollin:lol:blah:p::downspin:

Quasar
12-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I used to have about 6 dogs at home, so I've gone through a lot of deaths... Always hard to recover... And I still think of my most faithful dog who was with me for almost 15 years every now and then.

However, just like real people, I would never put them to sleep... I just keep them and care for them till the bitter end - this includes two of my dogs that were run over by cars... Even in their suffering, they appreciate you being with them and you could never rule out miraculous recovery! My dog that was run over and had massive internal injury could still wag it's tail and play a little bit... it's just that it needed constant attention. While it did pass away after 2 weeks, I have no regrets that I was able to mourn it and care for it as it's master.

ashbeeigh
01-03-2009, 01:05 PM
So I have a question for everyone who has put a pet to sleep. What is worse? Knowing the pet is sick and going to have to be put to sleep soon and giving it medicine to make it feel better for as a long as possible or for the pet to die just all the sudden?

My family has had to put countless pets to sleep, so I'm not stranger to it, but this is different because this one is "my cat" and the last animal we have connected to our old house, and all my childhood memories. It's kind of like all my childhood is dying (well I am 24 now..so it's about time...but anyway). She has some enlarged lymph nodes and some type of begin tumor that is causing her to lose a lot of weight. But the vet has said that these stereoid shots will help her feel better for "x amount of time." We're on a month now and he said this morning when I took her in that "be prepared the next time you come in." I was completely prepared last time...and am still semi prepared to lose her now, but I still don't know which is worse...to have to gone all the sudden or for her to be gone slowly..like to not hang out with me, to not meow at me, not to sleep with me, etc.

bigzak25
01-03-2009, 01:15 PM
ashbeeigh,

if your pet is in pain, put the cat to sleep.

looks like your vet is saying next time is it.

tlongII
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I think you should eat your pet after you kill it. That way you and the pet become "one."

Ginofan
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
So I have a question for everyone who has put a pet to sleep. What is worse? Knowing the pet is sick and going to have to be put to sleep soon and giving it medicine to make it feel better for as a long as possible or for the pet to die just all the sudden?

My family has had to put countless pets to sleep, so I'm not stranger to it, but this is different because this one is "my cat" and the last animal we have connected to our old house, and all my childhood memories. It's kind of like all my childhood is dying (well I am 24 now..so it's about time...but anyway). She has some enlarged lymph nodes and some type of begin tumor that is causing her to lose a lot of weight. But the vet has said that these stereoid shots will help her feel better for "x amount of time." We're on a month now and he said this morning when I took her in that "be prepared the next time you come in." I was completely prepared last time...and am still semi prepared to lose her now, but I still don't know which is worse...to have to gone all the sudden or for her to be gone slowly..like to not hang out with me, to not meow at me, not to sleep with me, etc.

I would definitely put her to sleep if she's in pain. It's cruel to prolong their misery just to satisfy our sense of companionship. (not that you are doing that at all, I'm just saying). Just get yourself prepared...spend as much time with her as you can, pet her a lot, feed her whatever favorite treats she enjoys, take pictures of you and her, so you can always remember. Just give her a good life while you can...she'll know you love her. I know that sounds crazy to you non-cat people but they are just as loving and as loyal as dogs.

Good luck Ashbeeigh, it's a tough situation, but like I said, don't prolong the inevitable if she's in any discomfort.

manufor3
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I think you should eat your pet after you kill it. That way you and the pet become "one."

1. Hopefully your joking
2. Even if you are, the thought of it makes me sick