PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys to lose Ferguson for the year

mardigan
09-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Torn Biceps Tendon Could End Ferguson's Season

Zach Buchanan - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
September 9, 2007 11:58 PM

IRVING, Texas - The injury situation for both the Giants and the Cowboys grew more serious during the game, as a total of four starters from both teams were injured and didn't return.

The Cowboys only suffered one of those injuries, though it may prove to be the most serious. Starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson, who left the game late in the first quarter for has been diagnosed as a torn biceps tendon, meaning the biceps muscle separated from the tendon at the elbow. Ferguson will need surgery and likely is out for the remainder of the season.

"Possibly in the light of the morning and in the light of tomorrow comes in, that might be a change," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "But when I came in there at halftime, they told me that they thought that could end his season."

So backup Jay Ratliff suddenly became a fulltime nose tackle, and played formidably at in Ferguson's absence, making three tackles and recording the Cowboys only sack of the game.

"Ratliff looked to be the player that we talked about," Jones said. "The coaches raved about him in camp and he showed that on the field."

Ratliff, the only nose tackle left on the depth chart after the loss of Ferguson, will likely man the position for the rest of the season unless the Cowboys explore outside options.

One of those options would be to re-sign newly-released nose tackle Remi Ayodele, who was claimed on waivers by Atlanta after the being cut by the Cowboys and released on Friday. The Cowboys had hoped Ayodele, the younger brother of starting linebacker Akin Ayodele, would have cleared waivers after final cuts last weekend and been signed to the practice squad as he is more of a true nose tackle than Ratliff.

The injury situation for the Giants is more serious in terms of numbers rather than degree. Three Giants starters left the game: defensive end Osi Umenyiora (leg), running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) and quarterback Eli Manning (shoulder).

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=EE47EA54-F807-FB23-CF0A438CF862FFA7

mardigan
09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Looks like Ratliff will have to play a lot of dt this year, and their probably going to bring Remi Ayodele back as well

johnsmith
09-10-2007, 10:03 AM
first week of the season injuries piss me off.

samikeyp
09-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Ratliff looked good in there.

Sucks losing Ferguson though. Between him, Ellis and Newman being out....I see a lot of shootouts.

monosylab1k
09-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Sucks losing Ferguson though. Between him, Ellis and Newman being out....I see a lot of shootouts.
Plus, Roy Williams being in the lineup hurts our D more than any injury. If I were to wish injury on any player, it would be Roy. That way we'd get someone in there who would get the job done and everyone would realize what an overrated piece of shit Roy is.

Findog
09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Plus, Roy Williams being in the lineup hurts our D more than any injury. If I were to wish injury on any player, it would be Roy. That way we'd get someone in there who would get the job done and everyone would realize what an overrated piece of shit Roy is.

How does this guy go to Hawaii every year? He is a linebacker in a safety's body. He should take a lot of steroids and move to LB.

O-Factor
09-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Man, I was always a big fan of Roy, throughout all his dismal pass coverage abilities And he is still great against the run and all, but he should of been all over Plaxico on that one td pass. I don't know what the fuck he was doing besides having his thumb up his ass.

samikeyp
09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
How does this guy go to Hawaii every year? He is a linebacker in a safety's body. He should take a lot of steroids and move to LB.

Great minds think alike.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77394

monosylab1k
09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
He needs to learn how to tackle first.

samikeyp
09-10-2007, 10:56 AM
How does this guy go to Hawaii every year?

Good question. There were quite a few Cowboys fans here (myself included) when the Pro Bowl rosters were announced who asked the same thing. You know its bad when Dallas fans are questioning one of their own going to the Pro Bowl.

monosylab1k
09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Good question. There were quite a few Cowboys fans here (myself included) when the Pro Bowl rosters were announced who asked the same thing. You know its bad when Dallas fans are questioning one of their own going to the Pro Bowl.
Especially when a FAR more deserving Cowboy got snubbed.

O-Factor
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Why couldn't Roy of gotten Newmans injury, and Newman be healthy

Dirk Nowitzki
09-10-2007, 04:19 PM
While we are banged up in the secondary, there is a bigger issue that worries me...LACK OF PASS RUSH! The d-line and its ability to put pressure on the opposing qb will decide where the cowboys go this season. If they are able to get to the qb, their chances dramatically improve. If it stays like this, next season starts now. :pctoss

mardigan
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Cowboys | Team to trade Ferguson
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:26:59 -0800

ESPNews reports the Dallas Cowboys will trade DT Jason Ferguson and a 2008 sixth-round draft choice to the Miami Dolphins for a 2008 sixth-round draft choice and a 2009 sixth-round draft choice.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Evan
02-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I am listening to a sports radio station (1310theticket-Norm) and the host worked it out that if Ferguson get's traded...when you consider the cap hit and balance to how much money they save on his base salary...it basically pays for Flozell Adams contract for 2 years and his monster contract he signed yesterday get's paid for. I think except for 1.3 million this year but everything next year.

Jerry is a cap master.

mardigan
02-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I am listening to a sports radio station (1310theticket-Norm) and the host worked it out that if Ferguson get's traded...when you consider the cap hit and balance to how much money they save on his base salary...it basically pays for Flozell Adams contract for 2 years and his monster contract he signed yesterday get's paid for.

Jerry is a cap master.
Yea, Boys.com is reporting that it will save them about 2 and a half mil. And with Ratliff blowing up and Tank signed through this year, old man Ferg lost out.

Evan
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Yea, Boys.com is reporting that it will save them about 2 and a half mil. And with Ratliff blowing up and Tank signed through this year, old man Ferg lost out.

I just wanted to point out I edited my post and added in one more sentance.

" I think except for 1.3 million this year but everything next year. "

The cap is confusing.

O-Factor
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
A good move to save some cap space. Now I would like for the boys to draft a young DT in this years draft in the mid rounds.

Evan
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
It's perfect. Tank starts...some rookie they draft in the mid rounds backs him up. Then for next year you either re-sign Tank or start whoever you drafted this year.

Solid plan.

Parcell's is obsessed with people he has worked with.

I will miss Ferguson in interviews. He's awesome.