PDA

View Full Version : Arenas makes Wizards playoff guarantee

ducks
09-10-2003, 01:15 AM
Arenas makes Wizards playoff guarantee
By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
September 9, 2003

AP - Sep 9, 5:20 pm EDT
More PhotosWASHINGTON (AP) -- Gilbert Arenas came with a guarantee.

The biggest free-agent signing of the Washington Wizards offseason held his first news conference with his new team Tuesday, and he sounded ready to defy history.

``I can prove it, and I'm going to do it: We're going to make the playoffs,'' Arenas said. ``We're going to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs this year.''

The Wizards haven't made the playoffs since 1997 and haven't won a playoff game since 1988. Even Michael Jordan couldn't get the team into the postseason in 3 1/2 seasons as a front office executive or player.

Asked how the playoff pledge might come about, Arenas gave a Jordan-like answer by saying his work ethic will rub off on his teammates.

``Once one player sees how hard you're working, the rest of the team will follow,'' he said. ``We might start off slow, but we're going to finish good.''

Arenas, the league's most improved player last season with the Golden State Warriors, signed a six-year, $65 million contract with the Wizards in July.

ADVERTISEMENT
Arenas posed for photos with a Wizards No. 0 jersey, the number he started wearing in college at Arizona because critics said that was all the playing time he was going to get.

First, however, he has to work something out with Wizards center Brendan Haywood, who wears double-zero. NBA rules prohibit a zero and a double-zero on the same team.

Arenas thinks he has just the bribe.

``Give him the ball a little bit more,'' Arenas said. ``We can work that out. He gets 20 touches a game, I get zero. Whatever he needs.''

Arenas' signing was part of a busy spring and summer for owner Abe Pollin, who hired Ernie Grunfeld as general manager and Eddie Jordan as coach. Pollin, reeling from an initial backlash over his decision not to retain Michael Jordan, has offered to refund season-ticket deposits to anyone not satisfied with his offseason moves.

``I don't expect anybody to be asking for refunds,'' Pollin said.
scoop (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-arenas&prov=ap&type=lgns)