PDA

View Full Version : Big East

NoMoneyDown
09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
The Big East teams are off to an explosive start. SEVEN of the EIGHT teams are 2-0 thus far. Two teams that are usually middle-of-the-pack in the BE, Cincy and So. Florida, have already gotten huge wins (Cincy over Oregon St. and USF over Auburn). Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU had some minor glitches in their game this past week, but came out victorious (WVU by rattling 42 2nd-half points in their win).

:smokin

MajorMike
09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
I think the BEast is a little overrated this year to start, as last year they were very underrated. They came on so well last year and everyone thought, oh well, they will be as good again. I honestly think by the end of the year they won't be overall as good as they were last year.

- Cincy has a great D. They completely embarrased a poor Ore State squad. They had some good wins last year and were a bowl team.
- USF is a nice squad, too, but they beat an underachieving Auburn squad. Auburn almost let a middle of the pack B12 team beat them at home last week (I thought K State actually gave the game away). They have been building a good program from awhile, now.
- L'ville had problems with a Middle Tenn team that got beat by Florida Atlantic, the team OSU (a decent B12 team) killed this weekend. They rushed 32 times for 18 yards against FAU (OSU was 39 for 233) and 29 times for 265 yards against L'ville.
- WVa had lots of problems with a Marshall team that Miami beat 31-3 (the same Miami that uo killed 51-13). I personally thought WVa was one of the better teams in the nation.
- I also don't think Rutgers is nearly as good as people think.

Ends up, there are enough pretty decent squads in the BEast that they are going to screw themselves out of the MNC just like they did last year - everyone beating up on everyone else once or twice.

Bottom line is, this has been the screwiest year I can think of so far early in football. Don't count anything or anyone out, unless it is Iowa State.

K-State Spur
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
i don't know if the Cats gave the game away to Auburn, but they certainly didn't finish strong. There was a roughing the punter and a completely phantom facemask that contributed on Auburn's big 4th quarter drive - but Cox also made some big plays when he needed to.

then again, it would have been very nice if Auburn had gifted KSU 5 turnovers as well.

NoMoneyDown
09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the BEast is a little overrated this year to start, as last year they were very underrated. They came on so well last year and everyone thought, oh well, they will be as good again. I honestly think by the end of the year they won't be overall as good as they were last year.

- Cincy has a great D. They completely embarrased a poor Ore State squad. They had some good wins last year and were a bowl team.
- USF is a nice squad, too, but they beat an underachieving Auburn squad. Auburn almost let a middle of the pack B12 team beat them at home last week (I thought K State actually gave the game away). They have been building a good program from awhile, now.
- L'ville had problems with a Middle Tenn team that got beat by Florida Atlantic, the team OSU (a decent B12 team) killed this weekend. They rushed 32 times for 18 yards against FAU (OSU was 39 for 233) and 29 times for 265 yards against L'ville.
- WVa had lots of problems with a Marshall team that Miami beat 31-3 (the same Miami that uo killed 51-13). I personally thought WVa was one of the better teams in the nation.
- I also don't think Rutgers is nearly as good as people think.

Ends up, there are enough pretty decent squads in the BEast that they are going to screw themselves out of the MNC just like they did last year - everyone beating up on everyone else once or twice.

Bottom line is, this has been the screwiest year I can think of so far early in football. Don't count anything or anyone out, unless it is Iowa State.

Good analysis. I wholeheartedly agree with your next-to-last paragraph as it will ultimately come down to Louisville, WVU, and Rutgers (altho, I don't think Rutgers is as good as they were last year). WVU is thankful they have Louisville at home this year as it MIGHT be the one team they have problems with this year. Rutgers away will be tough, too, but not as much as it would have been last year. I think they learned their lesson with USF and will be better prepared for them this year (not to say they'll win, but won't be caught with their pants down this time).

BTW, WVU and Marshall is kind of a inter-state rivalry (in all sports). I know the Herd was up for this game and it showed in the 1st half. But WVU rattled off 42 points in the 2nd half to pull away, which wasn't seen much in the final score.