PDA

View Full Version : How do you make fideo?

PM5K
09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I know someone here must know how to make fideo, share your recipes please ;-)

PM5K
09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
You guys suck man, I was gonna eat this shit for dinner...

You guys already fucked me on the mission drive in question...

Does anybody even know what 2+2 is?

Melmart1
09-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I make fideo by heating up some oil in a pan, then frying the dry noodles until they are a little golden, then adding a can of stewed tomatoes, a bay leaf, comino and onions then covering the pan and letting it simmer until done. Don't stir it or it will come out all gummy. Just let the juice from the tomatoes absorb and you should be good.

Oh, and be sure to take the bay leaf out before serving. :lol

PM5K
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Fucking sweet, thanks.

A big can of stewed tomatoes? Is there such thing as a small can of stewed tomatoes?

Melmart1
09-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Fucking sweet, thanks.

A big can of stewed tomatoes? Is there such thing as a small can of stewed tomatoes?
Nah, but if you are only making a little bit, you could substitute a small can of tomato sauce instead. They sell them at HEB for like .15/each. In fact, my nephews hate stewed tomatoes (they think they are mushy and gross) so when I make it for them I generally use tomato sauce instead. It's almost the same, really.

The smallest stewed tomato can is the one that is standard size. I think its something like 14.5 oz, approximately. I generally use one of those to each of the yellow boxes of fideo along with half a white onion (which I also leave out when cooking for the nephews. They are picky little shits, lol).

PM5K
09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
So just a can of tomato sauce? No water?

I'm going with the suce today because it's what I've got, and I've seen others use that in the past...

TIA

Melmart1
09-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, use enough water to cover the fideo, lol. I usually just fill the little can from the tomato sauce up like twice and it does the trick.

PM5K
09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah, use enough water to cover the fideo, lol. I usually just fill the little can from the tomato sauce up like twice and it does the trick.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Whenever I ask friends they always leave out some vital step, like browning them first, or adding water so we'll see...

Melmart1
09-10-2007, 06:26 PM
I am pretty sure I didn't leave out any steps, other than the water. The stewed tomotoes have juice, so when I use the sauce instead I have to remember to add water. Hope it turns out good!

mrsmaalox
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
That's basically how I make it but I use tomato sauce instead of stewed. Also I add chicken boullion or consomme.

PM5K
09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I've heard about broth, but I don't think I've ever eaten it that wy.

Anyhow, it came out pretty decent, better than the last two times I tried, probably need more water next time, and I gotta add some tomatoes too, I love them in my Mexican dishes when appropriate.

Thanks Melmart...

WHOTTABITCH
09-11-2007, 07:27 AM
fideo sucks balls. You can call me a coco or whatever. It just does.

CosmicCowboy
09-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I brown it in a little oil and then add a can of original rotel and a little water and simmer it till the liquid is absorbed. It makes it spicier than just plain tomatos.

ATRAIN
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
PM5k its easy just give melmart what she charges on the corner (1.50) and she will make you some.

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I've heard about broth, but I don't think I've ever eaten it that wy.

Anyhow, it came out pretty decent, better than the last two times I tried, probably need more water next time, and I gotta add some tomatoes too, I love them in my Mexican dishes when appropriate.

Thanks Melmart...
Yeah, it's just like Spanish rice, you gotta make it a few times before you perfect it, and get down how much spice you like. First time I made it, I overcooked it and it was all mushy.

I have never heard of using broth, I might have to try it sometime.

As for you, ATRAIN. You are just mad because I can cook and am kicking your ass in our baseball bet. Seven back in the loss column. :cry

ATRAIN
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's just like Spanish rice, you gotta make it a few times before you perfect it, and get down how much spice you like. First time I made it, I overcooked it and it was all mushy.

I have never heard of using broth, I might have to try it sometime.

As for you, ATRAIN. You are just mad because I can cook and am kicking your ass in our baseball bet. Seven back in the loss column. :cry

LOL yeah maybe a little bit :), but hey are you going to take our other bet?

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 10:40 AM
LOL yeah maybe a little bit :), but hey are you going to take our other bet?
For the survivor league? What are the terms of this bet, gambling man?

JoeChalupa
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I make fideo by heating up some oil in a pan, then frying the dry noodles until they are a little golden, then adding a can of stewed tomatoes, a bay leaf, comino and onions then covering the pan and letting it simmer until done. Don't stir it or it will come out all gummy. Just let the juice from the tomatoes absorb and you should be good.

Oh, and be sure to take the bay leaf out before serving. :lol

Same here but without the bay leaf. I also add garlic and use tomato sauce. Sometimes I'll add some carnita to kick it up a notch. I like mine soupy but the wife doesn't.
My kids love it!