PDA

View Full Version : How did you land your first job?

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Post college or education?

I'm not throwing myself a pity party yet, but I'm going on a month of unemployment and I'm getting so frustrated. I thought having my internship would help my chances of landing something non-profit/social work/ mhmr/counseling related that would boost my resume for when I decide to go back to grad school.

What did y'all do to land that first job? Was it luck? A friend of a friend? Or just sending in resumes to anyone and everyone?

Lots of people end up changing careers. Was the first job you had fun? What did you hate about it? Was it at all related to what you went to school for?

fatsack
09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
it's who you know.
and who they know.

midgetonadonkey
09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I settled for anything.

ORION
09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
I was forced to sleep with the entire Hawaiian Topic girls team in order to have a job as a bikini waxer.

BigBeezie
09-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I used monster.com to get a couple of jobs...

Soul_Patch
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I started in my career field at Dell. I lied on my resume / application. They had a really intensive training, and didnt really require vast knowledge of computers...so i got by and learned fast. Since then, ive slowly moved up the ranks.

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I started in my career field at Dell. I lied on my resume / application. They had a really intensive training, and didnt really require vast knowledge of computers...so i got by and learned fast. Since then, ive slowly moved up the ranks.

A couple people that graduated maybe two years before me work at Dell. It seems like a sweet deal.

katyon6th
09-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I landed my first job geared towards my degree whilst still in college through career services. Now, I'm working in a field completely unrelated to my degree.

In my current job, I meet with a lot of new grads who think with a degree and an internship under their belt finding a job that pays well should be a piece of cake. And in some niches, that may be true but in most, it's not.

Mostly, it's about networking. Have you tried going through a staffing agency? A lot of companies these days don't staff their own positions. Also, you can't sit back and wait for a job to land in your lap, be proactive and put your resume out there as much as possible.

duncan228
My first job it was who I, actually my brother, knew.

My next one it was pure pushing on my part.
I believed in myself and I sold it to the hiring manager.

Get the word out to everyone you know, and everyone they know.
And keep pushing. You may not land your ideal job first but you'll be more appealing to others if you're employed.

Spurminator
I was submitting my engagement announcement to a small local paper and asked if they had any openings in the ad department, and they did.

Spurminator
09-10-2007, 04:08 PM
My wife found her job through working for a temp agency... She worked a few months for a company, and they offered her a permanent position.

I'd recommend this move if you're having trouble. It allows you to make money and build experience, and it's a better way of showing people what you can do than just interviewing with them.

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Mostly, it's about networking. Have you tried going through a staffing agency? A lot of companies these days don't staff their own positions. Also, you can't sit back and wait for a job to land in your lap, be proactive and put your resume out there as much as possible.

The internship thing is so true in the Psychology realm, unless you've been doing internships since you were a freshman. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to go to a staffing agency. It's coming up on me going there, though. I've sent out my resume to at least one place a day. It's getting exhausting. As I was reading the replies I actually got a phone call to set up an interview, so things aren't all dead. I just need them to say "You're hired."

I always send out the Thank You notes and have started calling back to see when decisions are going to be made. The last interview I had, I thought went very well. However, the director of the program never called me back. Whatever. Their loss, not mine.

SpursWoman
09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
My wife found her job through working for a temp agency... She worked a few months for a company, and they offered her a permanent position.

I'd recommend this move if you're having trouble. It allows you to make money and build experience, and it's a better way of showing people what you can do than just interviewing with them.

:tu

I worked as a temp right after I graduated from college for a while just for the experience and the $$. I actually liked doing it ... but I ended up getting a permanent position from one of the companies I temped for.

My job after that I got a tip from a friend and sent my resume, got it ... from there I found an ad in the paper and sent my resume, got it ... and my current position I got from Monster.com ... which is an awesome senior level, well paying job for a fun company ... so that is definitely an avenue I'd recommend.

ShoogarBear
09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I was submitting my engagement announcement to a small local paper and asked if they had any openings in the ad department, and they did.Wow, your wife agreed to marry you when you were a jobless bum?

Spurminator
09-10-2007, 05:19 PM
She had an eye for potential.

Thankfully she still does. Patience, too.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I got my first job by applying on Monster, calling and asking if they looked at my resume, getting myself an interview, and bullshitting about Texas football during my entire interview.
It was almost too easy.

Man Sauce
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I graduated from UTSA in 2001 and I finally found a descent paying job in 2004. I had crappy jobs in the mean time while looking for a job. It easy to get discouraged but when you least expect it you get one. Also don't put your eggs all in one basket like I did relying on job that I for sure thought I had and did not get it.

ploto
09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Unfortunately, today, that degree does not mean an easy route to finding a good job, especially in San Antonio. Too many graduates for the number of appropriate jobs. Don't be afraid to spend time as a receptionist or adm ast at a place at which you would like to work and then work your way up. Hard to hear with all that education and debt but you need to get your foot in the door. Your degree field makes it kind of hard, too.

tlongII
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I got my first job at a company that my dad was charman of the board for. I think temp'ing is a good way to go though.

ALVAREZ6
09-10-2007, 07:55 PM
CF got down on her knees to land her first job

CuckingFunt
09-10-2007, 07:57 PM
CF got down on her knees to land her first jobIs it really THAT hard to figure out that this shit isn't needed in here? Everyone else is having a perfectly normal conversation.

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Do I ever shit in your threads that were started in the Club? Now, unless you tell me how you got your first job out of college your comments aren't necessary.

ALVAREZ6
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Do I ever shit in your threads that were started in the Club? Now, unless you tell me how you got your first job out of college your comments aren't necessary.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7p4mioawIA

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7p4mioawIA

:lmao Funny. Now, tell me about your first job, Alvie. Oh wait. You haven't graduated yet.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040729/040729_ambrosio_vmed.widec.jpg

CuckingFunt
09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040729/040729_ambrosio_vmed.widec.jpg
:lmao

bendmz
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
can you say "DRAFT CARD"

Soul_Patch
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Ash...What is you degree in? Is it Masters level or bachelors?

My wife has a masters degree in Counseling Psych from the lake. She got a job with an insurance company about a year ago, doing EAP Counseling over the phone for their EAP Department. Recently was made a Mgr.

They start out in the high 40's i believe, or possibly very low 50's...They are a 24hr operation, and there are shift differentials. She was making about 54k a year working a 3pm to 11pm shift there.

She has a masters degree though, and did quite a bit of shit work as a volunteer, and intern...then moved to a private practice counseling recent parolee's, hard work for little pay...

They really need people where she is at now, but it is really boring work, not overly rewarding, but for a psyc field, its decent pay.

Das Texan
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I got my first job after college through a temp agency. The job sucked, I was underpaid and I stayed there way too long.

Then I changed fields, and finally got a good job that I found through career services via my university albeit in a totally unrleated field to my degree.

Of course none of my post grad jobs have been anything related to my actual field of study, though my choice, my current job being somewhat related to my graduate degree of study though in a roundabout way.

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Ash...What is you degree in? Is it Masters level or bachelors?

My wife has a masters degree in Counseling Psych from the lake. She got a job with an insurance company about a year ago, doing EAP Counseling over the phone for their EAP Department. Recently was made a Mgr.

They start out in the high 40's i believe, or possibly very low 50's...They are a 24hr operation, and there are shift differentials. She was making about 54k a year working a 3pm to 11pm shift there.

She has a masters degree though, and did quite a bit of shit work as a volunteer, and intern...then moved to a private practice counseling recent parolee's, hard work for little pay...

They really need people where she is at now, but it is really boring work, not overly rewarding, but for a psyc field, its decent pay.

From the Lake huh? I looked at their website and they have pretty hard admissions standards. Massive GRE scores, essays, and references Good stuff for her! :tu I'd love to go there, but more for Social Work.

Mine is just a B.A. in Psychology from Texas Lutheran.

gameFACE
09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
What did y'all do to land that first job?
I sent resumes and followed up with phone calls. It only took one interview if I remember right. But I had had several interviews at other places that didn't pan out first. I shot the bird at one guy who said my portfolio was a bit cumbersome to look through.
:fro

Was it luck?
I don't think it was luck as much as timing. I finished my degree in December '88, bummed around and traveled a few months and then got a job before the May graduates flooded the market.

I had fun there and didn't really hate anything about it.

Das Texan
09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
The lake has tough admission standards?

Since when?

cherylsteele
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I applied...I was hired.
What is the big deal.
Baskin-Robbins 1982

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
The lake has tough admission standards?

Since when?

For Applicants with Bachelor’s Degrees
1. Evidence of a bachelor’s degree in psychology or a closely
related discipline from a regionally accredited institution with
a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or 3.75 for last 60
hours or 3.75 for courses in psychology major.
2. At least 18 undergraduate semester hours in psychology
including courses in:
• Statistics
• Research Methods
• Social Psychology
• Developmental Psychology
• Abnormal Psychology
• Counseling Skills or Personality Theories
3. Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended,
including junior and community colleges.
4. A combined score of at least 1000 on the Graduate Record
Examination (GRE) Verbal and Quantitative tests.
5. A score of at least 520 on the GRE Psychology subject test
taken within the last five years.
6. Three letters of recommendation from professionals, with
at least one from a former professor who can attest to the
applicant’s promise as a professional psychologist.
7. Pertinent practica, volunteer or work experience.
8. Personal statement of background in psychology, expectations
of doctoral program and professional goals.
9. Satisfactory completion of the on-campus interview process.

:dramaquee

The last time I looked I was probably freaking out, so it doesn't look that bad right now. Just taking the subject and general GRE freaked me out.

ZStomp
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
My best friend in High School hooked me up with the job at Bonanza Steak House.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
My best friend in High School hooked me up with the job at Bonanza Steak House.

I miss the vanilla pudding from Bonanza.

TMTTRIO
09-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I just graduated a year and a few months ago with my teaching certificate in elementary education and I'm still trying to find a teaching position. In the meantime I'm substituting for three school districts around town and while I'm there I just let them know I'm a teacher and to please consider me if something comes available. It's so hard to deal with school districts because you can call them and ask them about it and they'll tell you that they don't do anything about the hiring but the schools do all of it. I finally started calling and visiting all the schools to let them know who I am. I've found out from a lot of my friends it's being there at the right time and right spot and so far I haven't been. Also it's good to know people in that business you are applying for. So for now I'm continuing my subbing job. Hopefully something will come up.

Holt's Cat
09-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I interviewed.

The sone
09-11-2007, 01:57 AM
I miss the vanilla pudding from Bonanza.

I USED TO MAKE THAT!!! :blah :p: ...with "love!"... :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I was 15 and sick of delivering junk mail, so I applied for a job at Kingsley's Chicken (a local fried chicken franchise with great chips). The Indian guy who ran the place took one look at me and said "too tall!" rudely and abruptly. That was it. I was shocked and really quite pissed off. If I knew anything I probably could've sued his arse for discrimination.

Worked out well though as I got a job at The Great Australian Icecreamery a month later. It was me and 13 girls and loads of laughs, although I never went on a date with any of them (I was a late bloomer as far as the girl thing is concerned). great high school job though, and 6 months of saving later I bought a $1200 Yamaha stereo CD/tape/stereo that changed my life forever. :D

Since then I've been a:
lab technician
hotel porter
electoral officer
taxi driver
electoral officer again
dog's body at a grammar school
civil servant
ESL teacher
civil servant again
grad student

What next?

Das Texan, you work for a wind-powered electricity company?

Whisky Dog
09-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Apply like crazy then exactly one week after applying make a courtesy call. Be persistent but polite and use positive language. You should be hired within a few weeks.

ATRAIN
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
First job I got when I was 15, it was handed to me. Almost every professional job i have had was because of connections.

leemajors
09-11-2007, 09:19 AM
A couple people that graduated maybe two years before me work at Dell. It seems like a sweet deal.
they've been on a hiring, raise and bonus freeze for quite some time. i knew someone who was the GM somewhere and asked for a job. my current job i knew someone who was on at a temp agency, and she got me in as a temp, and i got hired on permanently a year later.

ShoogarBear
09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Since then I've been a:
dog's body at a grammar school
Please tell me this is some sort of Aussie slang.

JoeChalupa
09-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I've been working since I was a kid. From the migrant fields to where I am today. I think it depends on who, what and when.
I have quite a few friends who make real good money and none of them have degrees.
I worked my up at HEB when I moved back down to SA and moved to my current job and things have worked out well.
Working in sales can make you a lot of cash too.
But I'm still working on a degree courtesy of the community colleges.

Good luck!!

smeagol
09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Chemical Bank.

I sent them my CV and they hired me.

TuckingFwat
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Short skirt and toned legs :angel

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I USED TO MAKE THAT!!! :blah :p: ...with "love!"... :lol

Remind me to smash your knee with a metal pole the next time I see you.

loveThe23
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Short skirt and toned legs :angel

:lmao :lmao :lmao

dirk4mvp
09-11-2007, 05:24 PM
my grandad owns a dairy farm. i got up at 2 in the morning during summers and milked cows.....