PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden arthroscopic knee surgery...

SsKSpurs21
09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Trail Blazers rookie center Greg Oden is expected to undergo exploratory arthroscopic knee surgery on Thursday after enduring pain in his right knee.

Blazers officials would not comment on the situation beyond a four-sentence news release issued Monday evening that said Oden underwent an magnetic resonance imaging last week, revealing that the 7-foot center may have some "cartilage problems" in the knee.

Oden, who was selected No. 1 in June's NBA draft, had been taking part in voluntary workouts in Portland with other NBA players in preparation for the season, which starts in October. It is unknown exactly how Oden hurt his knee.

A timetable for Oden's return will be set following the arthroscopic surgery.

Trail Blazers team physician Dr. Don Roberts is expected to perform the surgery at Southwest Washington Medical Center in Vancouver, Wash.

--Freeman

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2007/09/breaking_news_oden_injures_kne.html

sucks for tlongII

tlongII
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
This sucks. Hopefully the surgery will be relatively minor.

Roxsfan
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM

That really sucks for Portland and their fans. Numerous knee problems did Ralph Sampson in after being arguably the most heavily recruited (for both college and the NBA) basketball prospect of his generation. He helped take the Rockets to the finals with his last second tip-in at the buzzer that beat the Lakers in the 1986 Western Conference Finals, and sent the Rockets to their 2nd NBA Finals appearance in franchise history.

Not saying this will happen to Oden, but definitely not what you want to hear heading into camp soon. :bang

ducks
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
tough break for portland
but I bet portand wished they had picked durant now

is oden ever healthy?

ducks
09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
How Many Games Has Oden Ever Played In When Competly Healthy?

Craig
09-10-2007, 09:59 PM
50 years of basketball will wear on a dude. This proves it.

ducks
09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Oden Had Tooth Problem In Summer League And Sucked And Was Pulled Not To Lose Confidence Was How He Started Off His Career With The Blazers

RC's Boss
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Oden is not as good as people are hyping him up 2 be anyway. He is NOT the nest great center. Book it!

slayermin
09-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Horrible news. I was looking forward to watching him play. Hope it isn't serious.

Darkwaters
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Thats what happens when you go to work a month early. You get a month ahead on injuries...

midgetonadonkey
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Oden is not as good as people are hyping him up 2 be anyway. He is NOT the nest great center. Book it!

Don't say that. You will make Tlong cry.

ducks
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
He Crys Because Women Say No To Him

Whisky Dog
09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
WTF is up with Oden? The season hasn't even started yet and he's getting injured.

PM5K
09-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Sucks for him and the Blazers..

tlongII
09-10-2007, 11:22 PM
This will seriously impair my trolling abilities.

RC's Boss
09-10-2007, 11:23 PM
:lol

SpursFanFirst
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM

:lol

barbacoataco
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Odenn has one leg longer than the other, and came up with multiple warnings after his physical before the draft.

Roxsfan
09-11-2007, 12:24 AM

Ha :smokin :downspin:

ShoogarBear
09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
This will seriously impair my trolling abilities.Instead, you should think of it as the world being back to normal.

Seriously, it sucks. Hope he's ready for the season opener.

TDMVPDPOY
09-11-2007, 01:18 AM
told yah the dude is fukn 50yrs old

wildbill2u
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Just goes to show that these finely tuned athletes are only one play away--or one off court accident away--from career ending injuries.

Fortunately for Oden, this doesn't appear to be seriously career threatening, but it could delay his development during this first season.

nfg3
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
This really sucks since I was looking forward to seeing him play. If he goes down and fades in the near future then the ghost of Sam Bowie will come back to haunt Portland. Especially if Durant takes off and becomes a stud in the league, which I believe he will be.

duncan228
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
It's unfortunate.
No matter how "minor" he'll never be the same.
Few ever are.

Mixability
09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
better cancel those parade routes you had planned tlong.

Strike
09-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Huh? No witty, trollish retort? :spless:

Surely you jest.

ShoogarBear
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
The couch did it!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-32/Greg-Oden-on-Greg-Oden-s-Knee--The-Couch-Did-It.html

From Greg Oden's blog on YardBarker.com (http://yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Another_Bump_In_The_Road/26768):

On my vacation earlier this summer I got up off the couch and remember my knee having a sharp pain in it. That was about a month ago. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to seem like I was complaining or making excuses for anything, plus I wasn't doing anything at the time I realized it hurt, so I figured it couldn't be anything big. After a couple of weeks I had to finally tell someone so I went to St. Vincent's Sports Performance (where I worked out before the draft) and got my knee looked at. That was right before I moved to Portland for good. My knee was swollen since I got here. I finally just said I need to tell my trainer because this is not normal. We went to the doctors the next day to get an MRI and that night me and my mom ended up in the doctor's office being told that I have to get surgery. It's a light one -- just a scoop -- but still it's just another set back. I would like for me to be playing and not seem like I'm a high maintenance player, but things just keep popping up.

Please, Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and teammates: do not use couches. They are not safe.

(Note: yes, astute readers, I did slightly edit his writing -- capitalizing the word "I" and the like. I also, you might note, fixed the spelling of "couch," which he typed as "coach." Or, you know, maybe I have this all wrong. In which case I have to apologize to couches everywhere, and wonder why in the hell Greg Oden was sitting on Nate McMillan.)

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
:lmao

smrattler
09-11-2007, 05:43 PM
What do you expect from a 48 yr old man trying to realize his NBA dream this late? The knees are the first to go. :(

hsxvvd
09-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Trade him now!

spurscenter
09-13-2007, 03:14 AM
http://www.blacksportsonline.net/archives/gregoden.jpg

THis is how he messed up his knee

MI21
09-13-2007, 07:02 AM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9155/05davidrobinsonzc6bi1.jpg

"Greg Oden (pictured on the right) hopes his son, David (left), can have the career he never had after suffering a serious knee injury before ever playing an official NBA regular season game."

:)

Tippecanoe
09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Hes out for season

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvkAU6xp82gikpuCKfQrDmU5nYcB?slug=aw-oden091307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ducks
09-13-2007, 01:29 PM
http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

The Worst Case Scenario for Greg Oden

September 13, 2007 2:10 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo is reporting:

Greg Oden , the Portland Trail Blazers' No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, will miss the 2007-2008 season after knee surgery on Thursday, two league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Oden, the 7-footer out of Ohio State, underwent exploratory surgery on his right knee on Thursday in Vancouver. The extent of the damage was not immediately clear, but Oden, one of the most celebrated young players in years, will be lost for the season.

The Blazers are expected to make an announcement shortly.

I have confirmed the same miserable thing with a source in the know. The team will be announcing it any second.

I'll be updating this post in a second with some thoughts.

2007 Draft, Portland Trail Blazers

Read comments or leave a comment

ducks
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
ESPN reporting they had to do microfracture surgery

Celebrated Trail Blazers rookie center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, will likely miss the 2007-2008 season after undergoing knee surgery Thursday, the team said.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a microfracture surgery today," team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who performed the surgery, said in a statement posted on the Trail Blazers' Web site. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with microfracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage.

"There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all, he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from microfracture surgery."

The Blazers are to discuss the news at a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference. Oden's procedure was performed in Vancouver, Wash.

Oden described the knee pain in an entry Tuesday on his personal blog:

"On my vacation earlier this summer i got up off the couch and remember my knee having a sharp pain in it. That was about a month ago. I didn't tell anyone because i didn't want to seem like i was complaining or making excuses for anything. Plus i wasn't doing anything at the time i realized it hurt, so i figured it couldn't be anything big.

"After a couple of weeks, i had to finally tell someone so i went to St. Vincent's Sports Performance (where i worked out at before draft) and got my knee looked at. That was right before i moved to Portland for good. My knee was swollen since i was there. I finally just said that i need to tell my trainer because this is not normal. We went to the doctor's the next day to get a MRI and that night me and my mom ended up in the doctor's office being told that I have to get surgery. It's a light one, just a scoop, but still it's just another setback. I would like for me to be playing and not seem like i'm a high-maintenance player, but things just keep popping up.

This is Oden's second health problem since the Trail Blazers drafted him in June. He had a tonsillectomy in July after struggling in two Las Vegas summer league games.

Oden, despite being hampered by a wrist injury during his freshman (and only) season at Ohio State, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in leading the Buckeyes to the national championship game. He had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the loss to Florida.

The Trail Blazers were the surprise winners of the NBA draft lottery and chose Oden over Texas forward Kevin Durant, who went to Seattle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3017538

Roxsfan
09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Don't say that. You will make Tlong cry.

cool sig. If mine were not so damned crowded, I would add that too.

Roxsfan
09-13-2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.blacksportsonline.net/archives/gregoden.jpg

THis is how he messed up his knee

I would love to mess up my knee that way too. Seriously hot legs and thighs :smokin

T Park
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Where the white women at!!!!!!?????!??!?

Love that line :lol

Man of Steel
09-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I wish people would stop piling on top of Tlong.

This news really sucks--but I believe the kid will recover and have a great career in the NBA.

For others to make light of this or to taunt Portland fans--grow up, man.

OdenCouchDynasty
09-17-2007, 10:37 PM
The couch did it!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-32/Greg-Oden-on-Greg-Oden-s-Knee--The-Couch-Did-It.html

From Greg Oden's blog on YardBarker.com (http://yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Another_Bump_In_The_Road/26768):

On my vacation earlier this summer I got up off the couch and remember my knee having a sharp pain in it. That was about a month ago. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to seem like I was complaining or making excuses for anything, plus I wasn't doing anything at the time I realized it hurt, so I figured it couldn't be anything big. After a couple of weeks I had to finally tell someone so I went to St. Vincent's Sports Performance (where I worked out before the draft) and got my knee looked at. That was right before I moved to Portland for good. My knee was swollen since I got here. I finally just said I need to tell my trainer because this is not normal. We went to the doctors the next day to get an MRI and that night me and my mom ended up in the doctor's office being told that I have to get surgery. It's a light one -- just a scoop -- but still it's just another set back. I would like for me to be playing and not seem like I'm a high maintenance player, but things just keep popping up.

Please, Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and teammates: do not use couches. They are not safe.

(Note: yes, astute readers, I did slightly edit his writing -- capitalizing the word "I" and the like. I also, you might note, fixed the spelling of "couch," which he typed as "coach." Or, you know, maybe I have this all wrong. In which case I have to apologize to couches everywhere, and wonder why in the hell Greg Oden was sitting on Nate McMillan.)
You caught me redhanded.