PDA

View Full Version : No school spirit at football game

rr2418
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
My wife and I thought we'd go to our alma mater's football game this past Friday night. We both graduated from Burbank 20+ years ago, so we thought it would be fun. My God times have changed! The cheerleaders don't do anything but stand there smiling, no cheers, no nothing! With the exception of the drum section, the whole marching band just sits around rarely playing music. What's going on here? Do the cheerleaders know how to cheer? Do they even have to tryout? Why do they still call it a marching band when they don't even "perform" at halftime?(The band stands in the middle of the field and attempts to play) Burbank had scored a couple of times and both times the band and cheerleaders were oblivious to what was going on. Back in our days the band and cheerleaders had to pay attention to the game so that the cheers and music would coincide to the action on the field. During our time Burbank didn't win many games, but the school always had great school spirit! Is it only at Burbank, or is it this way in all the schools? :wtf

Lady Marmalade
09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
My old high school upset Judson this week..... I can't imagine going to one of their home games without school spirit. Granted I have not been since 2003 or so but even then....

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I've been to a bunch of high school games over the past season-plus and what I've seen has been varied. The Burbank game I covered last season probably didn't have much because it doesn't stand out to me, but there are still school bands that perform and cheerleaders who cheer.

Sam Houston and Floresville had vocal crowds, bands and cheerleaders this weekend.

td4mvp21
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
My highschool football games are pretty rowdy. Our team isn't very good but the students, parents, band, cheerleaders, etc. get into it big time.

Beno Udrih
09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Thats cause Burbank sucks. Duh!

The sone
09-11-2007, 02:14 AM
yeah sucks but as long as ive been around burbank has kindda been a joke...i dont wanna offend you but...yeah. perhaps a pet project of yours could be to lift the spirits...kinda like a whole stand and deliver thing...yeah? :D

TxJudsonRocketTx
09-11-2007, 03:08 AM
I usually go to a Judson game once a year still when I visit San Antonio in November for Bands of America and the games are still packed and the crowd is very much into it. Unfortunately Judson seems to be made of a bunch of bums this year, first they knock off a Top 25 ranked team, go into Week 1 with a #14 ranking I think and then lose to a 4A team.

rr2418
09-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Thats cause Burbank sucks. Duh!

:lol :lol Yeah you're probably right! During my time we averaged about 1 win per year with the exception of 1978, when the Bulldogs went 10-0! I'm guessing you might be a liitle to young to remember, but look it up. :D

rr2418
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
yeah sucks but as long as ive been around burbank has kindda been a joke...i dont wanna offend you but...yeah. perhaps a pet project of yours could be to lift the spirits...kinda like a whole stand and deliver thing...yeah? :D

Nah! I think it's just the younger generation. I guess it's not "cool" to cheer at games. Todays kids rather be on their cell phones :rolleyes then have fun at a game! No offense taking since it's been 20+ years, but you're right Burbank's teams have always been bad, but we always cheered them on and had good a good time.

rr2418
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I usually go to a Judson game once a year still when I visit San Antonio in November for Bands of America and the games are still packed and the crowd is very much into it. Unfortunately Judson seems to be made of a bunch of bums this year, first they knock off a Top 25 ranked team, go into Week 1 with a #14 ranking I think and then lose to a 4A team.

I've been to a few Judson games in the past, mainly to playoff games. I try to go to any game that's seems it will be a good one. When Wagner opened their doors that was the end of Judson's dominance, but they still should be in the thick of things every year.

By the way, who was Judson? :oops

samikeyp
09-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks to Burbank, Taft got its first win ever! :tu

I went to a few homecoming games in the 90's and it was pretty bad. I mean, those first years of Taft football, we were horrible but we had a damn good time at the games. I have even been to a couple of playoff games for Taft this decade and the school spirit just isn't what it was. Although one was the state title game in 2001 and it was cold and raining really bad so I understood that.

(BTW, we got hosed in that game.) ;)

SpursWoman
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
By the way, who was Judson? :oops

I was Roosevelt ... and my kids will be Judson. That's just so wrong to me. :( :lol

And I don't know about Burbank now, but at Roosevelt in band the first game or two of the season we didn't march much because we were still learning the routines, and the rookies get freaked out. :lol

But I know many, many years ago our Band director got demoted (sorry) to Burbank, and if he's still there that would explain a lot. :lol

JoeChalupa
09-11-2007, 03:57 PM
We've got spirit, yes we do!
We've got spirit, how 'bout you!!

Back home the Battling Bulldogs ALWAYS have spirit.

SpursWoman
09-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Aren't your Bulldogs from Ohio? It doesn't sound like you're referring to Burbank's Bulldogs. :lol

JoeChalupa
09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Aren't your Bulldogs from Ohio? It doesn't sound like you're referring to Burbank's Bulldogs. :lol

Yeah, the Defiance Ohio Battling Bulldogs!!!! :tu

jaespur21
09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
i guess ill find out, cuz im planning on attending a football game or two this season.

samikeyp
09-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I am going to try to get to one of my nephew's high school's games. Interesting to see the difference(if any) between the atmosphere of a Michigan high school game and a Texas one. Although I have a good idea. :) I knew there was something different when they were talking about two local powerhouses getting together and the possiblity of "nearly 4000 people are expected". Ooooh! :lol

Shelly
09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
O'Connor's off to a fine start :lol

spurs_2108
09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Sam Houston and Floresville had vocal crowds, bands and cheerleaders this weekend.

I was at the game. It was a high scoring battle.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I was at the game. It was a high scoring battle.

You think Tatum should have gone for one?