PDA

View Full Version : So Where Were You When You Heard The News on 11 September 2001?

09-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I was listening to Tony Bruno on Fox Sports on the way into work when they started talking about a plane hitting the towers, everyone at work had it on a TV or on their computers. About noonish I left to go to the South Texas Blood Bank to donate and wound up working/volunteering there because the crush of people coming in there was more then they could handle...

Mister Sinister
09-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I was in a club meeting before school.

ZStomp
09-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I was working in the SAPD Dispatch office.

Johnny_Blaze_47
Rather than re-type it all, I'll quote from here.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=486509&postcount=32

I remember that day so well.

I remember I specifically set my alarm to get me up early so I could go downtown and try out for "The Weakest Link" since I thought it might be fun and I had the day off.

I remember hearing the radio turn on, but not getting up immediately. I remember I had it on the Ticket and Tony Bruno was on...I remember him saying something about being sad and asking people to pray because of the "accident" in New York with a plane crash.

I jumped out of bed and in my normal fashion, turned on my monitor and started trying to browse the news Web sites, but to no avail.

So I ran to the back of my house and turned on the TV only to see the second plane hit the tower and I think I just started shaking and such.

I called my mom's school and asked her if she had seen it and all she said was that they had seen it and that people were just going crazy.

I threw on some clothes and flew to the school and ran in (since they were close to lockdown). I go to the library where she worked and they had the TVs off since the district had sent a message to every school to turn them off. The only problem was teachers and parents kept coming in asking if we knew more, so we got permission to close the blinds in the library and have the TVs on.

We just kept watching and watching the coverage. Eventually, a number of people were hungry so I drove to McDonalds right down the road and bought a bunch of food. They had some black-and-white TV that got shitty reception and while I was talking with the manager, she told me she was worried about her kid at the school. I told her that the kids were being restricted from knowing what was going on and that none of the TVs in the classrooms were on.

I grabbed the food and drove back. About 20-30 teachers and staff started eating in the library while we had the coverage on. I distinctly remember having to run and turn a TV off since some of the kids walking by in the hall looked in through a crack in the blinds and having some teacher yell at me for doing it.

I remember snapping back at her, but I don't remember what I specifically said.

About an hour later, they started reporting that blood drives were being started around the city so I decided to drive to the Blood & Tissue center and getting in this HUGE line. They told us the wait time was about 2-3 hours from where I was at, but not one person complained.

About 20-30 minutes later, they came asking for people who wanted to donate platelets, which I normally do. Because I said yes, I got bumped up to the front of the line and was sitting down in 20 minutes.

Usually, you watch movies while you donate, but I asked them to put it on the news. That was about the time they kept replaying the videos of people jumping from the towers. I'm surprised I made it through without being sicker than I already felt.

I also remember getting into a media ethics discussion with my next-seat neighbor, a woman about 30 years old who seemed to love the discussion and had a lot of questions.

I remember finishing up and driving home. Walking in and just sitting there with my parents trying to figure everything out. I will never forget that day.

I was working in the SAPD Dispatch office.

Cripes, I bet that was a busy day.

09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Blaze, the center off of 410? I was taking folks information/registration there that day.

midgetonadonkey
09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Smoking bowls in my apartment.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Blaze, the center off of 410? I was taking folks information/registration there that day.

Yep.

I had a hell of a time parking and I think they were letting us you some auxiliary parking in the back. Once I got there, it wasn't too long before I got bumped up to aphresis.

Silver21_Black20
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
At St. Phillip's college on my way to class.

BigBeezie
09-10-2007, 11:26 PM
I was stationed at Camp Fuji in Japan, while serving in the Marine Corps. I watched it live on TV while cleaning my room for inspection. Shortly thereafter, my life while in the military changed forever. The way we went about our lives was turned upside down.

ashbeeigh
09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
When the first plane hit I was at home on my way to school. I was the first person to tell most of my friends. I walked into my first period class early to see my teacher watching TV so she said we could watch a little bit of the news, but things kept happening. So, basically...school. We were supposed to be doing presentations that day. Not too much.

09-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Beezie, who did you work with at Fuji?

mrsmaalox
09-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Driving my husband to the metro in Silver Spring, MD. He was going to a meeting at the Surgeon General's office at the Pentagon!!! :(

BigBeezie
09-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Beezie, who did you work with at Fuji?

I worked in the S-6 shop for Gunny Stone and then Gunny Lutz. I worked with West, Hounsell, Airhart, Kleiber. Nguyen...etc. Why?

CuckingFunt
09-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I was sleeping when the first plane hit. I woke up, turned on Today, saw what was going on and thought I was still sleeping.

The rest of the day was spent working, glued to the TV, and frantically making phone calls and trying to track down my girlfriend -- she was scheduled to fly back from New York that morning.

flipcritic
09-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Though I was in the Philippines at the time, 9/11 is just one of those days you remember exactly were you were at that time.

I just about to leave the office when I read that a plane crashed into one of the towers. I thought it was a cessna or something. Early reports were sparse at the time over the internet. So I went home.

Walking towards the bus stop, my mom told me to hurry home quick because she said it was a commercial jet that crashed into one of the towers.

On the bus my mom told me that another one jet hit the opposing tower. And just before I got off the bus, she told me that both had collapsed.

People on the bus were getting text messages and phone calls about what happened. And they were just dumbstruck in disbelief. :(

09-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I worked in the S-6 shop for Gunny Stone and then Gunny Lutz. I worked with West, Hounsell, Airhart, Kleiber. Nguyen...etc. Why?

Just curious, not too many Marines on this board.

FromWayDowntown
09-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I remember the most inane details of that day -- I woke up early to beat my fellow fantasy leaguers to the punch in trying to pick up a wide receiver because Ed McCaffrey had suffered a horrendous leg fracture in the Week 1 Monday night game. I even remember that I picked up Darnay Scott (wtf!) to replace McCaffrey.

I then sat on my couch for a few minutes and watched WKRP in Cincinnati, which was then running on TNN.

I remember I looked at the clock somewhere around 8:05 a.m. (after the 2nd hit, which I didn't yet know about) and decided that I should get ready for work, so I headed to the bathroom and turned on my radio. I heard Tony Bruno say something about a plane crashing into the WTC and being struck by the sober tone of his voice. When he said that both towers had been hit, I thought there must be some mistake or that he was talking about the support buildings around the WTC. So I ran back to the TV and turned on CNN to see the gaping hole in WTC 1. I sat in stunned silence and just watched the TV without moving at all. I finally answered the phone when my mother called me in tears; as we talked we saw the first reports about the hit at the Pentagon. It was just surreal, of course. I got off the phone with my mom and called some friends to ensure that they knew what was going on, but never took my eyes off the TV. I decided to start a video tape at some point after WTC 1 collapsed and recorded the next 24 hours of coverage. It's still a shaking thing to watch it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-10-2007, 11:57 PM
At home watching an Episode of The West Wing centred on international terrorism. No shit. When the first plane hit they reported it in a news flash, then finished the episode (it was 10 mins from the end). Then the second plane hit and the world changed forever. :depressed

MaNuMaNiAc
09-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I was actually in a Social Studies class watching the news if you can believe that

Spurminator
09-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I didn't watch TV or listen to the radio when I was got ready, so I left my apartment to walk to class completely oblivious about what had happened. I could see the TV through my neighbors' window and saw something about a plane crash.

"That sucks" was about all the thought I gave to it.

When I got to campus I remember thinking there seemed to be fewer people than normal walking around. My normal morning routine was to check my mail box at the campus center before my first class, but I soon found the campus center to be a packed with people fixated on the TVs at the corners of various walls. Nearby there were ten or twelve people sitting in a circle praying, and a few other people were crying.

After someone explained to me what had happened, I walked in disbelief to my first class, where we had the news projected onto a screen and watched in horror as the towers fell.

I really don't remember much about the rest of the day. I watched a lot of TV. Only two of my classes were held... one because our professor insisted that life must go on as normal or the terrorists win (half of the class had headphones on listening to the radio for updates)... the other because it was simply a great forum to air out our thoughts on the day.

That night me and a buddy got drunk and made an American Flag out of Christmas lights on the front of his house. It was red green and yellow, and it had the wrong number of stripes (and no stars), but that thing stayed up the rest of the year.

Ronaldo McDonald
09-11-2007, 12:10 AM
sixth grade, in class, watching everything on t.v. in disbelief, hoping I was experiencing a tragic nightmare.

That summer I had been in NYC and see them up close. And they seemed to be massive and indestructable.

FromWayDowntown
09-11-2007, 12:26 AM
There are just those certain days that remain so vivid in your mind no matter how distant you get from it. When I was a kid, it was the day Challenger exploded; for my parents, it was the day President Kennedy was assassinated; for my grandparents, it was the attack on Pearl Harbor; for someone like ShoogarBear, it's probably the day that fire was discovered. :)

9/11 is undoubtedly one of those days.

T Park
09-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Had a late in to work so I was sleeping. It was 9 o clock on the west coast and my mother ran into my RV waking me up saying "Someone has crashed planes into the world trade center"

At the time, i honestly didn't know anything about them.

Watched the news nonstop for about a week after that.

Nothing seemed to mean much.

Now? IMO the planes flying into the towers should be shown more often reminding the people how it was that day...

WHOTTABITCH
09-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Smoking poles in my apartment.

FromWayDowntown
09-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Now? IMO the planes flying into the towers should be shown more often reminding the people how it was that day...

To what end? To justify the war in Iraq, which has never been shown to have any relationship to 9/11? To remind the country that our government still hasn't been able to capture or kill Osama bin Laden? To repeatedly cause pain to the families of those who died that day? To numb all of us to the horrors of terrorism?

Those images are etched in my memory and I suspect they are etched in the minds of most people in this world. They don't need to be replayed to ensure that those people remember what happened.

Jekka
09-11-2007, 12:39 AM
When the first plane hit I was getting ready for school, my mom had CNN on and I was glued to it until I left for class, then I drove the whole way to school with the radio news on, and we had the TVs on in all of my classes watching it.

I went to an arts high school, and this was my senior year where in the visual art department we had free studio time three hours every day to work on whatever projects we had going. We spent that whole afternoon talking about it, unable to process what had happened. Some really moving artwork came out of us in the weeks that followed; we were all pretty emotional.

Flea
09-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I dropped my kids off at school and some parents were talking about it. I got in the car and turned on the radio and was on I-35 when I heard them say the towers were collapsing. :( I stayed glued to the tv and the internet for most of the day. There was a message board I used to visit and a woman was on there frantically trying to find out info because she thought her Dad was on one of those planes. I can still vividly recall her desperation and people trying to help. It was really sad.

ATRAIN
09-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Intern for the state, had only been there and in Austin for a month.

smeagol
09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I was in Midtown Manhattan. Our secretary got a call from a friend downtown that a plane had hot the North Tower. We turned on the TV and they were showing an interview in the Today Show. 20 seconds after we turned the TV on, they started showing the whole in the WTC.

From their on, we watched all the events unravell. I spoke with my wife (she worked on the East side of Midtown, I worked on the West Side). I also spoke with my Mom and a frind that were in Argentina to tell them we were ok.

We were evacuated around 10.30. My wife left work in the afternoon.

We watched TV until the wee hours of the morning.

Soul_Patch
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
I was living in austin. I had woken up for work, but was still laying in bed watching TV, it was shortly after the first plane had hit.

Called my girlfriend at work to tell her, and watched the whole thing unfold as i was getting ready for work.

spurschick
09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
I was already at work. We didn't have a TV in the office and I wasn't listening to the radio, so I started to hear about it when other people started arriving. We then ran over to a place around the corner where they had a TV and got there just in time to see the second plane hit.

samikeyp
09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I was in training at Travelocity customer service. We were on our morning break in the breakroom watching tv and the today show was talking about a plane crashing into one of the towers, then the other one hit and I think me, two classmates and Matt Lauer all said at the same time, this is no accident. Sounds cliche as hell, and it is but that is what happened. We were sent home a couple of hours later because our instructors got pulled onto the phones to handle the crunch of calls. The last thing we were told was that every flight in the US was grounded. By 2001, I had been in the travel biz for 9 years so I was used to hearing about flights being cancelled but not every flight. That was when the enormity of the day hit me. We were right by the airport so to not hear planes go over was eerie.

johnsmith
09-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Ft. Collins, Colorado. Getting dressed for class. I flipped on Sportscenter and it said at the bottom that New York was under attack. I flipped to CNN and watched for about an hour until just after the second plane hit.

I had a South African History Professor at the time that still made us take a test that day too.

I got a B.

JoeChalupa
09-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I was on my way to work and I heard it on the radio.

sa_butta
09-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I was asleep when the first plane hit. I woke up around 8am and saw it all over the news. Then I went to the bookstore to sell a book when the 2nd plane hit. They had a TV on in there and I probably stayed there about an hour watching what was going on with some other students. I also work in the travel industry, the next few days of work were the most difficult of my career.

samikeyp
09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I also work in the travel industry, the next few days of work were the most difficult of my career

Amen.

u2sarajevo
09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I was in Pennsylvania for business. We had started the meeting at 8AM (7AM CST). When the first plane hit there was an obvious increase in office activity outside of the meeting room. It wasn't until the 2nd plane hit that we were made aware that something was going on, as some of the folks in the meeting were from the New York World Financial office so they started getting calls. They came in to tell us to evacuate the building. The building we were in was a one story training facility we had setup to eventually be a data center. None of us had seen any images yet, and we were all in the parking lot listening to news reports when the Pentagon got hit. When I heard that I was the loneliest I had ever felt. Here I was 1500 miles from home and all I wanted to do was get back home. Cell phone service was non existent so I just sat and listened. The plane that went down in PA was over 100 miles away but the little city I was in went into lock down mode (Chadds Ford, PA). The Hotel I was staying at had very few workers remaining (understandably alot had opted to go home). Just about the only thing that remained open was the front desk and the Hotel bar. Luckily I got there early enough to get a seat in front of the televisions. That's where I first saw the haunting images we are all so familiar with now. The only restaurant that I could find in the little city that was opened was a Denny's. And there was a line of what I assume were out of towners waiting to get in to eat. I opted to not bother.

My flight out was supposed to be Wednesday morning, of course that was canceled. The travel agency, however, let me make plans for a flight out on Thursday.... which got canceled. I inquired about just taking my rental car and driving it home but they were going to charge me a 1500 "drop" charge. So Thursday they allowed me to make a flight for Friday. When that was canceled however, I was informed that the rental car company (Avis) had dropped the restriction of a drop charge so I packed my things and headed home. It took me a little over a day to get home...... Luckily for my sanity one of the attendees was a friend of mine out of Nashville so I took him and dropped him off before making the rest of the trip by myself.

MannyIsGod
09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Congrats Tpark on introducing politics into a non political thread.

I don't need any personal reminders, I remember the day quite vividly. I have more to say to your regarding your idiocy in this thread but I better keep it to myself.

MannyIsGod
09-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I was at work. I watched the 2nd plane hit on one of our TVs there. I left work soon thereafter and ended up at the bloodbank where there were hordes of people. I remember the TVs setup in lines and I remember news coverage for weeks almost nonstop. I remember Lettermen going back on air. I remember Jon Stewart going back on air. I remember being proud of George Bush speaking to the people at Ground Zero. I remember thinking the moment it happend that it had to be OBL.

Can't believe that was six years ago.

u2sarajevo
09-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I was at work. I watched the 2nd plane hit on one of our TVs there. I left work soon thereafter and ended up at the bloodbank where there were hordes of people. I remember the TVs setup in lines and I remember news coverage for weeks almost nonstop. I remember Lettermen going back on air. I remember Jon Stewart going back on air. I remember being proud of George Bush speaking to the people at Ground Zero. I remember thinking the moment it happend that it had to be OBL.

Can't believe that was six years ago.I remember thinking it was probably a group in the middle east but honestly I had never heard of Al Qaeda. I remember hearing the name Bin Laden, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I'm kind of ashamed that I wasn't more aware of the issues surrounding the middle east. It's too easy to become complacent about such matters.

And I'm with you on how quickly that time has flown by.

samikeyp
09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Can't believe that was six years ago.

No shit.

Time does fly.

L.I.T
09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I was still at university living in the dorms. Had a single room, with a private bath and I remember waking up and running a little late for class (astronomy). Flipped on the television as I ran to the shower right after the first plane hit. All I remember going through my head was, "jeez, what a lousy made for tv movie". Didn't give it a second thought, until I walked out of the bathroom with a toothbrush in one hand in time to see the second one hit.

The rest of the day was a blur; talking to friends, finding out what was going on and generally not going to class.

I do remember one incident distinctly. During the prayer rally at around 9 PM on campus, there were a group of student protesters with signs proclaiming the US and the people in New York got what they deserved. I think that moment is one where I lost a little faith in humanity.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I was in a car headed back to my dorm. I was a big wrestling fan back then, but the cable in the dorms inexplicably didn't carry the channel that showed Monday Night Raw. So I had taken to going to a friend's apartment, crashing on their couch, and hitching a ride back to campus in the morning. We turned on the radio just after the second plane hit. I was only a freshman at the time and quite a serious student. As I didn't hear anything about canceled classes I took a quick shower and got dressed for my Geology class. I turned on the TV shortly before I stepped out the door, just in time to see the second tower come down. Even though I knew that whatever was going on was probably more important than any class I still went. Pretty much every student in there was like me: kind of shell shocked, at a loss for why this class wasn't canceled, but inexplicably in attendance anyways. Our professor didn't say a single thing about the events in New York, she just lectured away. There wasn't a single question from the class the entire time. The subject was sedimentary rock formations.

The thing I remember the most vividly in the aftermath was how it seemed every last person was convinced their city would be next. People in LA were convinced that there would be some sort of "sister attack" on the west coast. People in Houston were losing their shit with the fear that if this was the work of middle eastern terrorists that Houston would be a natural target because of its oil reserves and refineries. I had friends back in San Antonio who were afraid to go outside because San Antonio had so many military bases that the entire city could be a target.

Holt's Cat
09-11-2007, 10:20 AM
At work. I recall clicking on a news link regarding a "small plane" hitting the north tower of the WTC.

Sunshine
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
A friend called me at my apartment and asked if I was watching television, I wasn't, so I turned it on and probably didn't move for two hours.

angel_luv
09-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I was at Bible school- just come out of our morning prayer meeting.
We met in the cafeteria, which always had the morning news on.

I saw the footage of the first plane going into the building. My class mates were saying what a horrible accident it was.
I had a sick feeling and had just said, " Guys I don't think that was an accident" when we saw the second plane crash into the tower.

We went on with classes for the first half of the day. One of our teachers would come in an update us.
I remember vividly when she came in and told us that the towers had fallen.

It felt like we were all in a horror movie. I never thought something like that would happen in America.

degenerate_gambler
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
in the car on the way to work listening to 760 and heard a one line report of a small plane hitting one of the towers.

duncan228
09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
We were outside Seattle, next to Fort Lewis. All my neighbors were military.

I didn't have the TV on, we usually didn't on school mornings. I walked my daughter to school with my neighbor and her kids. She was awful quiet, her husband was active duty, I was chit chatting. As we got to the school she said "You don't know what happened, do you?" I didn't, but it was on in the school office. I watched a little dumbstruck, it was 9:00 am pacific time, the towers were already gone. I called my husband, who was still home, and told him to turn on CNN. Like lots of people, I don't think my TV set was ever off for the next week.

We have family all over the East Coast, including the Tribeca area in NYC. My brother had been scheduled to fly out of Boston that morning, thank God his plans had changed. We were fortunate to not be personally affected but it had an effect anyway. It still does.

The biggest thing I took from it was a new found respect for the military. They surrounded us, we watched as they went into action. It was hard to see their families separated as fathers and mothers were deployed. One family had both parents deployed, Grandma came to take care of their kids. Tough stuff.

9/11 opened my eyes to how vulnerable we are. We live day to day without thinking about it. That day we did.

Ronaldo McDonald
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Had a late in to work so I was sleeping. It was 9 o clock on the west coast and my mother ran into my RV waking me up saying "Someone has crashed planes into the world trade center"

At the time, i honestly didn't know anything about them.

Watched the news nonstop for about a week after that.

Nothing seemed to mean much.

:stfu

jman3000
09-11-2007, 12:45 PM
a sophmore in high school.... had football practice in the morning before school started and pretty much missed everything that happened... somebody had said that a plane crashed into the WTC.. but at the time i figured it was just a cesna or something along those lines... it wasnt until my first class that i saw all the images of the towers burning and the chaos that insued.

shelshor
09-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I was in a motel in Green River, Utah. The Indian lady who owned & operated the place with her husband and 2 children had a melt down and was running up and down the sidewalk and banging on every door and screaming "They're attacking New York City"
I was driving the biggest truck Ryder would rent me and had all the stuff I'd salvaged from my mother's house after she passed away
I remember stopping for fuel on the north side of Salt Lake City and watching in astonishment as the price of diesel jumped $0.35/gal and unleaded regular jumped $0.32/gal just while I was filling up

Bigzax
09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
driving to work. i heard it on the radio. i thought a little itty bitty plane few into the building. just watched intenet from work all day. had pizza hut for lunch. picked up an 18 pack on the way home and go drunk and cursed the terrorists!

Bigzax
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
i'm thinking of picking up a six pack after work in commemorance.

Lady Marmalade
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
My senior english class....

samikeyp
09-11-2007, 02:03 PM
God Bless Bigzax! :tu

SpursWoman
09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
At the dentist, listening to it all unfurl on the radio.

ComfortablyNumb
09-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I was in bed. and just laid there wondering what the hell was happening.

Burn531
09-11-2007, 02:28 PM
In gym class during my freshmen year of high school. The school had all the hall monitors go to each class and tell the teachers what had happened. This was around 10am.

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I actually slept through all the crashes. I had worked till 2am the night before and was sound asleep. I was awoken by the sound of my roommate scrambling to get ready for work. He was in the Air Force and was supposed to work in the afternoon but got called in for duty. I had no idea why at the time, I figured it was just some standard thing.

I finally turned on the TV and thought I had mistakenly put it on HBO instead of CNN. Surely, this was a movie, something made up in Hollywood. Was this some "War of the Worlds" hoax? I pulled out every thought I could to try and deny what I was seeing. It finally sank in and I sat there in a trance watching the coverage. I am not really sure if I was actually comprehending or just staring at the screen.

I was jilted out of my trance by the phone ringing. It was my boss, telling me not to come into work today, and he would call me later to let me know about the next day. See, I worked in an airline reservation center. Since all flights were grounded, we had no work. Two days later, we re-opened the call center. More than half the staff had been let go. I was a top seller, so I had my job still but I only worked four days, six hours instead of 5/40. Since I worked off commission, I had a feeling of dread about me. In the days since the attack, I never once worried about my job, I was so numb. But it was time to face reality, and so the the heartache of the attacks mixed with the dread over paying the rent just made me have a feeling of nausea almost constantly. A few times I logged out of my phone to go to the bathroom, thinking I would throw up. I never did.

That first day back was crazy, a bunch of desperate people who STILL had not made it back home from wherever they were grounded. We helped the ones we could but most had to be referred to the airlines directly. I felt robotic, saying the same schpiel about how we couldnt reschedule their flight, we could only sell them a new ticket, etc etc. I wasn't the only one, as all of the sudden someone stood up and screamed "will you cheap asses PLEASE get a fucking recording to refer these people to the airlines. I am tired of repeating myself!" Then she burst into tears.

The next day, we did indeed have a recording, and the place was silent. I swear two hours went by without a single phone call. I stared at the loud, colorful posters on the wall of exotic destinations we sold tickets to and wondered how long it would take for life to return to normal. Or if it ever would. Would John Q. Public ever want to go to Cairo again? Would I ever sell another ticket to Fiji?

I fielded four calls that day in six hours. The last one of the day before closing was a guy who said "I was calling to check if there were any good deals in light of recent events." This enraged me so bad. I screamed at him so bad my voice hurt and I started coughing. "Why don't you let the bodies get cold in their graves before you start trying to capitalize on it, you stupid motherfucker!!!" I hung up on him, thinking that my job was gone. The next day, I asked my supervisor about it and she was like "what screaming incident? I have no idea what you are talking about." Later that day, we were both out on a smoking break (I used to smoke at the time) and we sat smoking in silence. She put hers out, looked at me and said "we all need a good scream every once in awhile", winked at me and went back in. It was the first feeling of relief I had in almost a week.

T Park
09-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Congrats Tpark on introducing politics into a non political thread.

congrats on pulling shit out of your ass as you usually do.

I didn't bring politics at all into it.

You geniuses did.

Fillmoe_
09-11-2007, 03:33 PM
i was a junior in high school in my science class, we were all watching the news on tv.......

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I fail to see where politics was brought into it before your post, Eric.

FromWayDowntown
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
congrats on pulling shit out of your ass as you usually do.

I didn't bring politics at all into it.

You geniuses did.

I asked why you would want to replay those images more frequently and wondered aloud what justifications someone taking that position might offer. You still haven't responded to that.

SpursWoman
09-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I asked why you would want to replay those images more frequently and wondered aloud what justifications someone taking that position might offer. You still haven't responded to that.

I think the best thing that came out of that terrible day and for several weeks afterwards, was the unity and that people were actually nice to each other.

Now? Pfffft. Business as usual. :fro

mookie2001
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I was in 5th grade

mookie2001
09-11-2007, 04:00 PM
anytime we doubt the war in iraq, we should just think back to the day when them towers fell

darryl worley

FromWayDowntown
09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I think the best thing that came out of that terrible day and for several weeks afterwards, was the unity and that people were actually nice to each other.

Now? Pfffft. Business as usual. :fro

Oh, I agree with you about that. I'm not even sure that it's business as usual anymore, since the country seems more divided and splintered than I ever remember it being.

But I wonder if TPark is suggesting that replaying the images of planes flying into buildings with more regularity would serve some purpose like that. To me, the shock and horror of seeing that event unfold was the linchpin of the unity, respect, and courtesy that we all saw after 9/11. Personally, I don't think that more frequent repetition of the images of that morning would create the same feeling -- I think it would just make us all more callous to the tragedy of that day. In an extremely general sense, what makes it moving is the stark departure from the norm -- making it the norm, I think, deprives those images of that quality.

SpursWoman
09-11-2007, 04:07 PM
But I wonder if TPark is suggesting that replaying the images of planes flying into buildings with more regularity would serve some purpose like that.

I was trying to put a positive spin on what he had said, and since that's the only thing good that came out of that day, even if it were only fleeting, I went with that. :nerd

FromWayDowntown
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
I was trying to put a positive spin on what he had said, and since that's the only thing good that came out of that day, even if it were only fleeting, I went with that. :nerd

Fair enough.

My post is detracting from this thread -- apologies to all for that.

atxrocker
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
fuck all the youngsters on the board make me feel old. i slept through the first one then i got a call from a friend telling me to turn the tv on. i turned it on right about the time that the second one was hitting. i was still pretty groggy so it took a minute to sink in. i was working as a credit card collector at the time and they gave us all the day off. i went over to a cousins house and pretty much sat in front of the tube all day watching the news discussing all kinds of shit throughout the day with some cousins/friends. i can't believe that was 6 fucking years ago. that day was insane.

Spurminator
09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh shit, I almost forgot... I worked at the calling center for my school at the time. My job involved calling alumni to ask for donations.

We did NOT get the day off. Those were some fun calls.

Slomo
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I was driving back home from work when I heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I remember not thinking much about it except "that pilot is in a lot of trouble" - I had automatically assumed it was some small plane with an inexperienced/drunk/unlucky pilot and wrote it off as a minor accident.

When I arrived home I switched the TV to CNN just to see the second plane hit.

I spent a lot of hours watching TV the next days...

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I was in 4th grade and when it happened the teacher rushed us into class to tell us about it, and I was like WTF are you talking about?

Mr. Peabody
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I was sitting in my Ancient Philosophy class when just prior to the start of class the professor, who is from New York, came into class with tears in his eyes and canceled class.

E20
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I was in a gas station and the guy infront of me to the clerk was like you know the twin towers are over or something like that.

I didn't know what to make of it, I thought he said that David Robinson and Tim Duncan had died or were injured or something so I was like HOLY SHIT.

David Bowie
09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I was a junior in high school

Heard it in Home Room.

T-Pain
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I was just a sophomore in high school back in Fredericksburg, sitting in my 2nd period webmastering class watching the news. I had no idea from that day on the day would always be refered to as "9-11" and I had no idea how much the world would change after that.

2Blonde
09-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't sleep well when my husband travels and he was in DC for some meetings. He was still active duty and assigned to the EOC (emergency operations center) for 5thArmy. Anyway, since I didn't sleep the night before, I finally crashed after my daughter got on the bus at around 7:10am for school. A little later I got a call form our neighbor/friend asking if 2Grey was still in DC. I said yes and then he told me about the planes. I didn't believe him at first because he jokes around a lot. I told him he better not be messing with me or I was going to be majorly pissed. Well I turned on the TV and found out he told the truth. I freaked... I couldn't get through to him and finally after 2-3 hours he got in touch with me. It turned out they had moved there meeting off-site, away from the Pentagon, because they didn't have enough space for this meeting. Coincidentally, my daughter's Godfather had an office in the Pentagon that got hit but he too was at an off-site meeting and his boss had just stepped into the bathroom. That saved his life.
My hubby kept his rental and tried for a day or so to get a flight then he just left and turned it in back here in SA. I don't think I slept much until he got home.

I got just as scared when he had to go to the winter olympics in Utah to set up the EOC there in case of another attack.