PDA

View Full Version : Simmons article on Pats win over Jets

J.T.
09-11-2007, 12:57 PM
The Pats good enough to remove all drama

So many times in sports, a potential juggernaut gets built in the offseason and everyone goes overboard wondering about its invincibility. … And then, the season starts and the team doesn't look like a juggernaut. But "Patriots 38, Jets 14" was one of those times when the potential juggernaut actually looked more unstoppable than it had on paper. This was a complete and total decimation. That's the best way to describe it: A decimation.

It took just one game for Pats fans to realize they've never had a player like Randy Moss.

I watched the game at my friend Jimmy's house, where he has a big plasma surrounded by three smaller plasmas in the kitchen (where all the food is). The Pats-Jets game earned "big plasma" status for two reasons -- it was the best early game, and half the guys there were either Pats fans or Jets fans. Near the end of the third quarter, we all agreed the game could be moved to a smaller screen. Midway through the fourth quarter, we bumped it entirely for a closer game.

Here's the point: In six years of going there, I don't ever remember saying, "Yeah, that's fine, this game's done, I'll watch the rest on TiVo later" about a Pats game before the end of the third quarter. Even when they won two straight Super Bowls and had the 21-game winning streak, they were beating teams because of their experience/coaching/smarts/clutchness/teamwork/defense/efficiency. They weren't just blowing opponents away with both barrels.

Look at their 2003 and 2004 seasons … for dominant teams, those Patriots weren't exactly churning out 300-yard passing days, 175-yard receiving days, 150-yard rushing days and blowout victories. They had a knack for controlling games but never totally putting a team away (with the Super Bowls against Carolina and Philly being the best examples). You never wanted to turn them off and chalk up that "W" until the final few minutes, that's for sure.

The first Sunday of 2007 was different. They killed the Jets. It was a massacre. When a team wins 38-14, on the road, without forcing a single defensive turnover, you know it has been a one-sided game. Randy Moss received most of the attention afterward, and rightfully so -- don't worry, we'll get to him -- but the nuts-and-bolts story was New England's offensive line (if the line blocks like that for 17 weeks, Brady's jersey won't have to be washed) and New England's front seven (which stuffed Thomas Jones and harassed the Jets' QBs for four quarters). It was such a dominant performance that we didn't learn anything about the Jets. Are they good? Are they a top-10 team that was simply outclassed? It's impossible to say. We'll know more next week.

All I know is this …

For lifelong Pats fans, you can't imagine how thrilling it was to watch Moss run amok in the Meadowlands. This was like upgrading from a station wagon to a Ferrari, only if you've been driving station wagons for 40 years. There have been five elite New England receivers in my lifetime: Harold Jackson (who had a monster year in '79), Stanley Morgan (graceful and underrated), Irving Fryar (never peaked until he found God in Miami, although he peaked from an Unintentional Comedy standpoint in New England), Terry Glenn (a quality deep threat for Bledsoe for a few years) and Troy Brown (unstoppable as a slot guy in 2001). Everyone else ranged from "awful" to "very effective." As far as I can remember, four Pats receivers have made the Pro Bowl since I was born: Brown ('01), Glenn ('99), Fryar (as a kick returner in '85) and Morgan (four times). None of them was overpowering. None of them could rip the heart out of an opposing team. None of them could silence 60,000 fans on the road and have them wonder aloud, "Uh-oh, how do we stop this guy?"

So, we trade for Moss in April and everyone's pumped. (Here's the column I wrote when it happened.) Even when non-Pats fans were playing the "He's gonna break your heart" and "He's gonna kill your team chemistry" cards, we didn't care. We were too pumped by the possibilities -- after all, Brady had never had a true deep threat before, and when Moss showed up for minicamp and said all the right things, we were even more delighted.

Summer rolled around, and we became distracted by the KG trade, the Sox-Yanks battle and the increasing possibility that J.D. Drew could be the Antichrist. In the middle of everything, training camp started and Moss quickly tweaked a hammie, then started missing preseason games. Uh-oh. Suddenly, we weren't as pumped about the Moss era. Right before final cuts, rumors started swirling that Moss wasn't healthy and might get sent packing. Didn't happen. Now, our expectations had been lowered to "Well, maybe he can limp out there and be a decoy." Heading into the Jets game, when more rumors swirled that Moss might play, everyone took the old wait-and-see approach. Rightfully so, by the way.

And then …

Out of nowhere …

Randy Moss tears up the Meadowlands. Nine catches, 183 yards and two plays nobody has ever made in franchise history -- a 33-yard catch down the sideline in which Moss effortlessly jumped in traffic and hauled in a pseudo-lob pass, and a 51-yard touchdown in which Moss sprinted downfield, drew three defenders, then kicked it into another gear and basically ran a delayed crossing route to haul in a Brady bomb for six points. Everything would have been exciting enough on its own, but when you factor in the variable that NOBODY SAW ANY OF THIS COMING IN WEEK 1, the collective giddiness was practically indescribable. Right after the 51-yard crossing route TD, my dad answered the phone cackling maniacally like Herm Edwards. We all felt that way. You just wanted to cackle maniacally and say "Can you believe this?" over and over again.

The truth is, nobody knew how good Brady could be statistically because he has never had an above-average group of receivers, and nobody knew how good Moss could be because he hasn't had a reason to give a crap in four years. In the postgame news conference, there was a genuine defiance about Moss as he answered questions from reporters who wondered whether Moss felt vindicated about what happened. It was as if he wanted to scream, "Look, I'm Randy F---ing Moss! I'm still the best! I just spent the past three years playing with Daunte Culpepper, Andrew Walter, Kerry Collins, Mike Tice and Art Shell! I'm on a real team, I have a real QB and I'm playing for a new contract -- this was not an aberration! All right? Get used to me making plays! OK! I am what you thought I was! All right!"

What's going to happen the rest of the way? You got me. I just know that the ceiling has been removed for the 2007 Patriots, and that no Patriots receiver has ever ripped through an opposing defense like Moss did Sunday. In Monday's Boston Globe, Dan Shaughnessy made an astute comparison of Brady and Moss to Larry Bird teaming up with Bill Walton in the '86 season. Obviously, that's the ceiling for the Brady/Moss era, because Walton's energy and ingenuity pushed that Celtics team to another level, and he was just as much of a risk in 1985 (because of his feet) as Moss was in 2007. Here's the big difference, though: The Celtics gave up the '81 Finals MVP (Cedric Maxwell) and a No. 1 pick to roll the dice with Walton. The Patriots gave up a fourth-round pick for Moss, and that's it. So far, that pick has been worth one win. And counting. Whether the trade eventually ranks up there in the Boston Heist Pantheon with "Joe Barry Carroll for Parish and McHale" and "Heathcliff Slocumb for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek" remains to be seen.

Today? It's looking pretty damned good. I thought this e-mail from Steve in Amherst summed everything up: "My favorite moment happened after Moss caught that amazing TD pass, after all the players were mobbing him in the end zone, Brady walked up to him. The two of them just stood there in the end zone for a second looking at each other, smiling. Then they hugged and ran off the field. I don't think either could have been happier. This is a special team, and I can't wait for more."

Me neither. In fact, I think I'll call my dad at work just to hear him cackle maniacally again.

J.T.
09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
The first Sunday of 2007 was different. They killed the Jets. It was a massacre. When a team wins 38-14, on the road, without forcing a single defensive turnover, you know it has been a one-sided game. Randy Moss received most of the attention afterward, and rightfully so -- don't worry, we'll get to him -- but the nuts-and-bolts story was New England's offensive line (if the line blocks like that for 17 weeks, Brady's jersey won't have to be washed) and New England's front seven (which stuffed Thomas Jones and harassed the Jets' QBs for four quarters). It was such a dominant performance that we didn't learn anything about the Jets. Are they good? Are they a top-10 team that was simply outclassed? It's impossible to say. We'll know more next week.

And this is exactly why everyone needs to put the Patriots Win SB42 crackpipe down right now. They did that against the Jets. No one thinks of the Jets as a good team that could win playoff games. They might make a wild card where they'd have to face a team like Cincinnati, San Diego, Indianapolis... depends on how the seeding works out. Point is, if the Jets even earn a wild card, they're still only playing an extra week.

You're wrong, Simmons. It was such a dominant performance because the Jets suck. Are the Pats that good? Are they a good team that just played a shitty opponent and stuffed the boxscore? It's impossible to say. We'll know more next week when they play San Diego.

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Colts fan feeling a little threatened? :lol

J.T.
09-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Colts would have done the same thing to the Jets... We'll see who lives up to the hype in Week 9 when the Pats back to the dome.

J.T.
09-11-2007, 01:16 PM
And I'm mostly pissed that Simmons gets to publish all of his shit for ESPN when he should really be writing for a Boston paper. God damn he takes media bias to a completely new level.

leemajors
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Colts fan feeling a little threatened? :lol
he bitches about every sports guy article, acknowledging that he is a total pats homer but not really understanding it. it's not far fetched at all to think the patties can win the super bowl this year, they are stacked.

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
he bitches about every sports guy article, acknowledging that he is a total pats homer but not really understanding it. it's not far fetched at all to think the patties can win the super bowl this year, they are stacked.
Yeah, the Pats are stacked and it would figure this is the year they play the NFC East :lol

As for Simmons, he is not paid to be a 'serious' analyst like a lot of the ESPN writers. Although he has a lot of good points and what not, the fact that JT would take him so seriously is funny.

TheSanityAnnex
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't wait till next week vs. San Diego. The Pats circle jerk shall cease!

SAtown
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I can't wait till next week vs. San Diego. The Pats circle jerk shall cease!

SD 17 - 31 Cheaters

J.T.
09-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Simmons is paid to write for a worldwide sports network and a good majority of his articles are Boston homerism trash, I call him out for it and I'm accused of being scared of the Patriots or bitching. Fuck me sideways.

If his pay grade doesn't warrant calling him out on it then why doesn't he work for a Boston paper so that he isn't given a soap box for the entire world to listen to him declare Boston the holy land or whatever the fuck his next article is going to be about.

mikejones99
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
The Spurs, Patriots and sox are the best so he is correct this time.

monosylab1k
09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
'Roid Heads 17 - 31 Cheaters
Fixed

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Simmons is paid to write for a worldwide sports network and a good majority of his articles are Boston homerism trash, I call him out for it and I'm accused of being scared of the Patriots or bitching. Fuck me sideways.

If his pay grade doesn't warrant calling him out on it then why doesn't he work for a Boston paper so that he isn't given a soap box for the entire world doesn't have to listen to him declare Boston the holy land or whatever the fuck his next article is going to be about.
Um, the entire world doesn't have to listen to him, and neither do you. Just don't read his column. Simple as that.

J.T.
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Um, the entire world doesn't have to listen to him, and neither do you. Just don't read his column. Simple as that.

I have the right to read whatever I want, even if it pisses me off. And it's hard to miss his columns if ESPN is going to plug them on the front page of their site each time he publishes one. He's nothing more than a glorified blogger. At least his podcast hasn't gone to shit yet, but I'm sure he'll throw another girly fit when none of Boston's sports teams win anything this year and fuck over his podcast with more of his Boston Sports Section Media Bias.

Melmart1
09-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I have the right to read whatever I want, even if it pisses me off. And it's hard to miss his columns if ESPN is going to plug them on the front page of their site each time he publishes one. He's nothing more than a glorified blogger. At least his podcast hasn't gone to shit yet, but I'm sure he'll throw another girly fit when none of Boston's sports teams win anything this year and fuck over his podcast with more of his Boston Sports Section Media Bias.
I never said you don't have the right. But why would you read something if it angers you so much? :wtf

As for Simmons, yes he is a total Boston homer. However, the difference between him and the other writers at ESPN is that he owns it. The other ESPN writers all have their favorites but pretend to be objective when they are clearly not. I also like the fact that he is still a huge NBA fan in a time when everyone seems to jump on the "the NBA is horrible" bandwagon.

leemajors
09-11-2007, 11:58 PM
i was much more annoyed at him insisting adam corrola and jimmy kimmel are regularly funny than any of his rampant homerism.

kskonn
09-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Yea I could not help but notice that there was not a big article about the Colts dominating a much more proven team on opening night. Or the fact that Wayne was equally impressive. I know the point of this article was to basically say I told you so about randy moss, just pointing out that the Pats were not the only AFC team to dominate someone in their first game. Frankly I could care less since I am a cowboys fan but you know whatever.

ShoogarBear
09-12-2007, 08:29 AM
The only reason Melly isn't pissed is because she's a Red Sox fan. :p:

Melmart1
09-12-2007, 08:32 AM
The only reason Melly isn't pissed is because she's a Red Sox fan. :p:
How did I know YOU would be the one to say something like that :lol

Seriously, I like him because he (generally) makes me laugh and is one of the few remaining writers who still watches NBA basketball even though he doesn't have to. If he was a Boston homer and he sucked or wasn't funny, I wouldn't like him at all. But unlike JT I would not blow a gasket over it and I certainly wouldn't waste my time reading something I didn't like then bitching about it on the internets.