PDA

View Full Version : Tim in Orlando

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Back when Tim was a free agent and Doc Rivers was going to turn the Magic into a contender he did everything in his power to get Duncan. Thankfully for the Spurs that didn't happen, but what do you guys think would have happened if Tim winds up in Orlando?

Certainly that means that either Hill or TMac wouldn't have wound up there, although I think by the time Duncan declined their offer they had already signed McGrady. Do you think a combo of Duncan and McGrady could have worked? Or would one of them just wound up wasting their talents having to play behind the other? And even if they did work well enough together, could they have stood up to teams like the Lakers and Pistons?

exstatic
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Hill was already signed, so it would have been Tim, plus a rotating cast, minus Grant Hill until this year. He made the right choice. When Tim declined Orlando's offer, they signed TMac.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Ah, my bad. Well that kind of torpedos this thread. For as good as Duncan is even he, all the kings horses, and all the kings men couldn't have put Grant's ankle back together again.

samikeyp
12-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Remember all the rumors back then? Peter Vescey jumped back and forth three or four times because his sources just knew that Tim was coming to Orlando....or was it staying in SA....no, wait..it was.....

the funniest thing I heard that summer was when someone posted they knew Tim was leaving SA because...and this was actually posted....a friend of a friend of this person worked at a pharmacy here and they saw Amy Duncan change her prescriptions to an Orlando pharmacy. :lol

Tim has changed the course of history for three franchises...SA, Orlando and Boston..the team with the worst record the year he was drafted.

Gummi
12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
All I know is that the Magic fans are still talking about "what if we had gotten Duncan". I have gone to every Spurs game here in Orlando since 2001 and I always hear that when Duncan has been scoring or dunking. And esp. that game last season when he went for 42 points.

Imagine how the great Celtics franchise would've loved to get him in the draft like they thought? They must be pissed.

mattyc
12-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I never want to think about Tim leaving.

Ever.

Again.

But simply, the past few off-seasons have been a walk in a park by comparison.

Guru of Nothing
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
I recall that TMac was Plan C back in the day. GHill was a sure thing for Orlando, and thus, Duncan AND McGrady was not a plausible option in Orlando.