PDA

View Full Version : Championship or Bust?

Duff McCartney
09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Okay I probably should have posted this in the Club but I think this would be more appropo as it applies to the Spurs as well. But it's more of a general sports question.

I've been getting into a debate with someone over sports. She's a big time soccer lover and I've also been getting into a debate with another person as well who likes soccer.

My arguement stems from watching Mexico play in the World Cup and the world stage in general, they are a team that I support but I often say that they will never win the World Cup because of the lack of playing the Euro game for their players. Regardless, the arguement isn't about them ever winning it...the arguement for me has been is it the most important thing?

For me, my stance is that the only thing that matters is a championship. Nothing else matters. I come from the school of thought like Herm Edwards..."Why do we play? We play to win the game."

For me that also applies to championships....as far as Mexico is concerned they can win all these Copa America and Gold Cup tourneys all they want but if they don't win the World Cup...it means nothing.

Likewise you can apply this to the Spurs...a championship is everything. For me if the Spurs don't win...it's a wasted season. Championship or bust is all that matters I think.

Granted I'm all for playing for the love of the game....I'm gonna assume that every player plays because they love the game. But for me also...a championship is everything.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree? Is it really championship or bust?

Amuseddaysleeper
09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I agree.

Kori Ellis
09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
It's very difficult to win a Championship. So many small things can happen. As long as the Spurs play well and contend in the playoffs, I don't think it's championship or bust.

timvp
09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Depends on the sport but it's tough to be a Spurs fan and then in another sport be satisfied with moral victories. The Spurs are championship or bust. But for example, if Slovenia finishes third in the Euros, that's pretty damn impressive.

SAtown
09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, International soccer is all politics, so don't expect El Tri to win anything anytime soon. As for the Spurs winning titles, as long as we have Duncan and Parker, I think it's going to be championship or bust.

Spurs Dynasty 21
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
that's how it's been for the Spurs since 99'

Duff McCartney
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, International soccer is all politics, so don't expect El Tri to win anything anytime soon. As for the Spurs winning titles, as long as we have Duncan and Parker, I think it's going to be championship or bust.

I only used that as an example. I know El Tri will never win..maybe from politics and maybe even more so that they play a slower game than in Europe. They may have players over there..but the coaching mentality is still all Mexico soccer.

Regardless, as I said for me...moral victories are nothing. Winning the WCF only to lose in the Finals is nothing. Like Herm said..."We play to win the game."

As Vince Lombardi said: "Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing."

Spurs Brazil
09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Agree, champs or bust, in any sports

duncan228
09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
I prefer the Championship.

But I'll take their best. As long as they leave it all on the court I'm happy.

Of course, I always have to be patient with my Spurs.

It usually takes til March. :smokin

ShoogarBear
09-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Depends on your expectations.

The Astros finally made it to the World Series. They then proceeded to stink up the joint, but there was still a sense of some satisfaction.

With the Spurs, it's the LOB or nothing. If we had lost game 7 to the Pistons, it would have been the Worst Thing Ever. Instead, losing game 7 to the Mavs is the new Worst Thing Ever.

Switchman
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes. especially since the upcoming year is a repeat year.

Regardless, our guys are getting old and we can definitely feel the window closing.

Every year until Duncan retires MUST be a championship. Except maybe year after next when they rebuild most of the team.

WHOTTABITCH
09-11-2007, 11:43 PM
if argentina finishes in 3rd for shittiest country, that's impressive.

romain.star
09-12-2007, 04:00 AM
let me give you an exemple... I'm from France and no one expected us to reach the World Cup Final in 2006 ("zidane is too old..."). but despite the fucking penalty shoot out against italy, i'd rather remember our games against Spain or Brazil, and then I'm happy

lil'mo
09-12-2007, 09:45 AM
the real questions is: Pay back your debts or Bust?

smeagol
09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Depends on the sport.

If Argentina makes it to the second round in the Rugby World Cup, it will be a great outcome. If it makes it to the semis, it would be like winning.

It all depends on expectations.

smeagol
09-12-2007, 10:28 AM
if argentina finishes in 3rd for shittiest country, that's impressive.
Where does whottabitch rank as shittiest troll?

tlongII
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Whose bust?

ambchang
09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
To me, the view of championship or bust is short-sighted, and has driven many franchises to the ground. Houston tried it with Hakeem, Pippen and Barkley, Lakers with Shaq, Kobe Malone and Payton in 04, the Blazers in the late 90's early 00's, and the Celtics this year. What the team did was they mortgaged their future for a one shot chance to win the championship, with the championship or bust mentality. This is not true.
The championship is a journey of years of hard work, planning, and luck. If every team goes into the win-and-win-now-mentality, we will see teams with no concept of the future, and is precisely what is wrong with some of the short-sighted companies in the corporate world.

Dirk Nowitzki
09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Spurs fans might as well already call this season a bust. The championship is the Mavs to lose. :clap :clap :drunk :p:

ShoogarBear
09-12-2007, 11:31 AM
The championship is the Mavs to lose.And nobody does that better.

duncan228
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Spurs fans might as well already call this season a bust. The championship is the Mavs to lose. :clap :clap :drunk :p:

Nice to see you back in form!

You had us worried when they went down last year!

Dirk Nowitzki
09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Nice to see you back in form!

You had us worried when they went down last year!

Oh I am back in full throttle mode! Get ready for a season of :clap :clap , and :elephant :elephant , :sleep :sleep

However when I have to deal with the tough times: :madrun :pctoss :madrun :pctoss

duncan228
09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh I am back in full throttle mode! Get ready for a season of :clap :clap , and :elephant :elephant , :sleep :sleep

However when I have to deal with the tough times: :madrun :pctoss :madrun :pctoss

:lol

Can't wait!

Dirk Nowitzki
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
And nobody does that better.

New year new Mavs team. :clap :clap :clap :clap :)

urunobili
09-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Okay I probably should have posted this in the Club but I think this would be more appropo as it applies to the Spurs as well. But it's more of a general sports question.

I've been getting into a debate with someone over sports. She's a big time soccer lover and I've also been getting into a debate with another person as well who likes soccer.

My arguement stems from watching Mexico play in the World Cup and the world stage in general, they are a team that I support but I often say that they will never win the World Cup because of the lack of playing the Euro game for their players. Regardless, the arguement isn't about them ever winning it...the arguement for me has been is it the most important thing?

For me, my stance is that the only thing that matters is a championship. Nothing else matters. I come from the school of thought like Herm Edwards..."Why do we play? We play to win the game."

For me that also applies to championships....as far as Mexico is concerned they can win all these Copa America and Gold Cup tourneys all they want but if they don't win the World Cup...it means nothing.

Likewise you can apply this to the Spurs...a championship is everything. For me if the Spurs don't win...it's a wasted season. Championship or bust is all that matters I think.

Granted I'm all for playing for the love of the game....I'm gonna assume that every player plays because they love the game. But for me also...a championship is everything.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree? Is it really championship or bust?

Mexico has never won a Copa America.. and if Argentina and Brazil keep playing it.... never will...

Dirk Nowitzki
09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
:lol

Can't wait!

Well I was actually being honest when I said I went to the spurs alamodome celebration this past summer. Finley is my all time favorite Mav despite him being on a team I despise (jealousy of their success and rivals) but still respect. I was really happy for him to get a ring. He was cut and chose to stay in TX and go for a title. The Mavs losing sucked but there is more to life than sports. Still I am not going to stop being emotional about it. :spin

duncan228
09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Well I was actually being honest when I said I went to the spurs alamodome celebration this past summer. Finley is my all time favorite Mav despite him being on a team I despise (jealousy of their success and rivals) but still respect. I was really happy for him to get a ring. He was cut and chose to stay in TX and go for a title. The Mavs losing sucked but there is more to life than sports. Still I am not going to stop being emotional about it. :spin

It wouldn't be half as fun if you did.

Let's hope we meet in the Playoffs this year. :toast

nfg3
09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Expectations is the key as many have said. That will define the "success" of your particular team.

Since winning our first in '99 it's all about winning the LOB. When TD goes then we'll be in a rebuilding phase - competitive but just not one of the elite.