PDA

View Full Version : Emeka Okafur Just Impressed Me

Guru of Nothing
12-14-2004, 09:58 PM
An expansion team probably should not have a rivalry in its inaugural season, but I'll bet Charlotte fans will make an exception for the (sorry ass) Hornets.

5 seconds left in OT and New Orleans is up 93-92 (after a 3 point dagger from Harrington), and Okafur was intentionally fouled and sent to the FT line (he was 4-6 from the line at this point). He nailed them both and Charlotte went on to win 94-93.

That's all I have to say.

Bye.

Dex
12-15-2004, 12:18 AM
So let me get this straight.

New Orleans was UP by 1....and they intentionally fouled him why?

Rookie or not, that's the dumbest move I've ever heard of. If you're not up by more than three, why in the world would anyone just give away free points? Even I could stick at least one of two from the line.

The Hornets deserve to be 1-19.

Dalamar_the_Dark
12-15-2004, 04:10 AM
Actually, its not very stupid cause this is one of the few times that the Bobcats have to contend with a 1 point deficit. So why not put a rookie who isnt the best from the line on the line with the weight of the whole game and the whole team on his shoulders knowing that his expansion team is facing the team which dumped his team's city?

I think that if Okafor missed both or one of those free throws and Bobcats went on to lose the game then we would be raving on how smart Bryon Scott was to know that Okafor would crack under pressure.

If the next game came along and the same situation presents itself I would try again. Let him show me how cool he is. Id rather force him to hit the free throws then let them bring it up the court and leave no time for me to put up another shot.

toosmallshoes
12-15-2004, 04:26 AM
this reminds me of the high school football team i covered this year. The Lehman Lobos. even though it was their first ever season they already had a rivalry because one of the teams they played was the former school of many members of the new team. Texas High School Football. Ra Ra!

boutons
12-15-2004, 10:57 AM
"why in the world would anyone just give away free points?"

stupidity? ask Chris Webber he fouled stupidly when SAC ahead in the final seconds.

(0:09) [SAC 86-85] Stojakovic Layup Shot: Made (19 PTS) Assist: Bibby (8 AST)

(0:04) [SAC] Webber Foul: Personal (4 PF)
(0:04) [MIL 86-86] James Free Throw 1 of 2 (15 PTS)
(0:04) [MIL] James Free Throw 2 of 2 missed
(0:04) [SAC] Christie Rebound (Off:1 Def:5)
(0:04) [SAC] Team Timeout: Regular
(0:04) [SAC] Jackson Substitution replaced by Miller
(0:03) [MIL] Smith Foul: Personal (2 PF)
(0:00) [SAC 89-86] Webber Jump Shot: Made (23 PTS) Assist: Bibby (9 AST)
(0:00) End Period
(0:00) [TBD] Instant Replay: Support Ruling

His foul gave MIL a chance to take the lead with 4 secs, but MIL only got the tie. dumb, but CW hit a 3 at the buzzer, saved the victory he tried to throw away.

Dex
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
There's a difference between accidentally fouling late in the game, and intentionally fouling when you already have the lead. I wouldn't expect anyone to try that tactic against even our WORST free throw shooters, let alone somebody who has already hit 4-6 from the line. Expansion team or not, you don't dare any NBA team to take a game away from you.

Ball up, play defense, and protect your lead. Don't throw away a good game on some hat-trick.

Brodels
12-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Actually, its not very stupid cause this is one of the few times that the Bobcats have to contend with a 1 point deficit. So why not put a rookie who isnt the best from the line on the line with the weight of the whole game and the whole team on his shoulders knowing that his expansion team is facing the team which dumped his team's city?

I think that if Okafor missed both or one of those free throws and Bobcats went on to lose the game then we would be raving on how smart Bryon Scott was to know that Okafor would crack under pressure.

If the next game came along and the same situation presents itself I would try again. Let him show me how cool he is. Id rather force him to hit the free throws then let them bring it up the court and leave no time for me to put up another shot.

Huh? that's absolutely insane. That's one of the worst basketball decisions ever.

You make the other team make a shot from the field against your defense. You don't give them a free shot to tie and win the game.

It's difficult to make a shot in the final seconds in the NBA when you're facing a set and dug-in defense. Gimmicks like that explain why Scott is about to lose his coaching job and he'll never return to the NBA.

Guru of Nothing
12-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Huh? that's absolutely insane. That's one of the worst basketball decisions ever.

You make the other team make a shot from the field against your defense. You don't give them a free shot to tie and win the game.

It's difficult to make a shot in the final seconds in the NBA when you're facing a set and dug-in defense. Gimmicks like that explain why Scott is about to lose his coaching job and he'll never return to the NBA.

Correction, he was not intentinally fouled. My bad. Must cease with my multi-tasking ways while watching games.

..... Crosses sports reporting off to-do list.