PDA

View Full Version : A John Czarnecki Article

monosylab1k
09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7216720?MSNHPHMA

Cheating more common than you think
John Czarnecki
FOXSports.com, Updated 26 minutes ago

Bill Belichick isn't the only cheater out there.

But the Patriots got caught red-handed and they did because Jets coach Eric Mangini knows all of Belichick's tricks. This is why stadium security and NFL security were ready to pounce on Belichick's young camera guy last Sunday and eventually confiscate the damaging video evidence of Jets coaches signaling to their players.
Coaches, in both college and the NFL, have been cheating for decades. Anything to gain an edge come game day. The first inclination is to think that Belichick is too good of a coach to be cheating. The second thought is that he has to cheat because he knows his competition is doing it.

Believe me, I have heard the stories of pro scouts sitting in the press box and putting a video camera on opposing team coaches. Teams definitely look for any edge in order to decipher signals.

How valuable is it? Well, how much would a quarterback pay to know if the defense is blitzing or not? Or what the secondary coverage was going to be? Many teams have color-coded their signals. Peyton Manning alters his verbal codes every week, making sure that the opposition doesn't know what he's calling.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent out a strong memo last season regarding the use of cameras. Now he must apply the punishment despite having a strong relationship with Patriots owner Bob Kraft. The Pats could lose a third-round draft choice, which is a pretty steep penalty. Others are asking for multiple picks. Also, a one-game suspension is seriously being considered for Belichick. A lot of teams are suggesting that.

There is no doubt that offensive coaches have strongly influenced the NFL's Competition Committee and that's why for the second year in a row a proposal to allow a defensive player to have a radio helmet — like the quarterback's — was defeated at the March meetings. The coach-to-defensive player radio transmitters missed by two votes, 22-10. The year before the vote was 18-14. With the Patriots getting caught, there definitely is a very good chance the defensive proposal will pass this April in Palm Beach.

"I really believe if the defense had radio helmets, coaches like Bill wouldn't be using a video camera like this," said one NFL head coach.

J.T.
09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I wonder if mono is the Pats fan I toasted on Madden online last night.

Findog
09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
I wonder if mono is the Pats fan I toasted on Madden online last night.

Three threads and counting.

TheSanityAnnex
09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
This stupid article doesn't even address it's own title. Post something relevant.