PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul Vs Deron Williams

spursjustice
09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Who would you rather have on your team? Chris Paul or Deron Williams?

dallaskd
09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Williams

dallaskd
09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
this should be a poll

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Williams

Cry Havoc
09-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Williams.

Mister Sinister
09-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Deron.

Booharv
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Probably Williams, this definitely should have been a poll.

MrChug
09-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Chris could EASILY be one of the greatest PG's ever. But the fact that Deron has simply mastered his craft SO MUCH fucking faster and can pull out the best in himself at the right times makes it all the more impressive.

DERON.

Darkwaters
09-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Chris Paul. Hands down.

The guy is a natural born leader that has taken the Hornets by storm. He is their unquestioned leader and a serious presence in the locker room and on the court. Players are going to New Orleans just to play with him and he is making others seriously better. Tyson Chandler looked like an absolute beast last season and Devin Brown went from serviceable to downright deadly. While Deron appears to have mastered the NBA quicker, he has also had a much easier path.

Hornets starters missed an average of 27 games a piece last year and the reserves suffered severe losses as well. The Hornets were also required to move to Oklahoma City at the beginning of Paul's first season and play in a air of uncertainty. Also, Paul walked into a situation where the Hornets had just pawned off all-stars Baron Davis and Jamaal Magloire for the likes of Speedy Claxton and Desmond Mason (hardly an equal value trade) in an obvious "Lets blow the team up and start from scratch" move. However, under the leadership of Paul they have been able to change the team into an instant viable playoff team in the tough western conference and have lured some big name free agents to the Katrina-ravaged New Orleans (hardly an easy sell).

So...Chris Paul. Hands down.

JamStone
09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Chris Paul.

Deron might be the better, or I should say, more polished player right now. But, Chris Paul has something special. I guess I'm looking at ceiling, but I see Deron Williams at best being a Tim Hardaway type of player, but Chris Paul being an Isiah Thomas type of player. And, I take Isiah over Tim.

I think they're both terrific young point guards. And, I have no problem with anyone preferring Deron. For me personally, I'll take Chris Paul.

DarkReign
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
CP3 by the smallest of margins.

CP3 will be almost averaging a triple double (ala Kidd) once his team is any good around him.

Dont get me wrong though, Deron is an absolute baller. Absolute stud. Can you really go wrong with either? Hell no.

MajorMike
09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
CP3. Deron really didn't do much of anything spectacular until the post season. Whereas that IS where you want to perform your best, there will never be another Robert Horry type that is tolerated all season as he waits for the post season. CP3 runs a great show and plays some good D as well. Deron is a great player, but if one of the facets of his game is off, the whole game is off. If it isn't falling for CP3, he becomes a better facilitator. I agree that you can't go wrong with either, but I would take CP3.

monosylab1k
09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
IMO I don't see Deron getting much better. But I can see Chris Paul elevating his game to another level.

Pistol...2K4
09-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Who would you rather have on your team? Chris Paul or Deron Williams?

tough question....I would have to go with CP3 because I think his upside is slightly higher , but they are pretty even in my book. Deron is getting more pub right now , but I really feel CP3 has a little more talent.

fitzgerald
09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Depends if you want a point that always looks to shoot then pass. Or a point guard who always looks to pass first then shoot. I personally like the pass first point guards. ex. Stockton, Nash, Kidd. They are much more difficult to defend. They can shoot anytime they want. You try to double and they hurt you with pass. Give me Deron. A no brainer for me.

atxrocker
09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
i would go with paul

Rip-Hamilton32
09-13-2007, 04:27 PM
paul

Tippecanoe
09-13-2007, 04:51 PM
my inner wake forest tells me chris paul

Cry Havoc
09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
IMO I don't see Deron getting much better. But I can see Chris Paul elevating his game to another level.

Better than what? The playoffs, where he was the 2nd best point guard?

I mean, WTF? How the hell can you guys say, "Well, I just don't think he'll get any better."

What POSSIBLE non-homer reason could you have for saying that?

Williams exploded when he was at the U of I. He was struggling earlier this year. Now, he is a lock to be one of the top 10 PGs in the game this year, perhaps top 5. I'm not taking anything away from Paul -- I just want to know what gives you the idea that someone is reaching the peak of their game at 23 years old. Are you just attempting to blather random ideas to sound educated?

Deron was one of the most improved players of the year. But he's reaching the top of his game. Obviously. :rolleyes

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2007, 09:37 PM
CP3 his team tend to peak to early in the season and slow down after ALLSTAR break...

NOH needs a inside player thats score/reb/defense...david west is just to undersized imo...

bdictjames
09-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Deron.

Give him a couple of years and he might be a top 5 player in the L.

Chris Paul just needs to shoot better.

KidCongo
09-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd take CP3 but Williams would be great.

Darrin
09-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd take either one and build a team around them.

AFBlue
09-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Shooting - Williams

Rebounding - Williams

Assisting - Paul

Speed/Attack Basket - Paul

Leadership - Paul

That's 3 - 2 in Paul's favor by my count, but it's extremely close in several of those categories.

Still, I'll frame it like this....

To BE ON my team, as the question was asked, I would pick Williams.

To START my team, I'd go with Paul.

monosylab1k
09-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Better than what? The playoffs, where he was the 2nd best point guard?

I mean, WTF? How the hell can you guys say, "Well, I just don't think he'll get any better."

What POSSIBLE non-homer reason could you have for saying that?

Williams exploded when he was at the U of I. He was struggling earlier this year. Now, he is a lock to be one of the top 10 PGs in the game this year, perhaps top 5. I'm not taking anything away from Paul -- I just want to know what gives you the idea that someone is reaching the peak of their game at 23 years old. Are you just attempting to blather random ideas to sound educated?

Deron was one of the most improved players of the year. But he's reaching the top of his game. Obviously. :rolleyes

Good for you. You see something that I just don't. One great year and a few good playoff games do not a great career make. IMO Paul's game is better, and if he had the type of talent around him that Deron Williams has he'd outperform him.

But hey, I'm the the guy who had to write a 5 paragraph dissertation/rant on the subject to prevent myself from sounding like a blathering idiot. As soon as IMO means something other than "in my opinion" then blather away at me. Until then, STFU and post your own goddamn opinion without the ranting bullshit.

P.S. Guys reach their peak at young ages all the time. Why do you think so many top-10 picks don't pan out? Next time you go ranting put some thought into it. Thanks.

Johnny RIngo
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I watched quite a few Jazz-Hornets games and, IMO, Deron looked to be the better player. His rookie year was a mess thanks to Sloan keeping him in the doghouse for so long but he's bounced back quite nicely. Last year I would have said Paul but I'm taking DWill after seeing how well he performed in the playoffs this year.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Easily Paul for me.