PDA

View Full Version : Hornets Sign Ely

Kori Ellis
09-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Report: Hornets sign free agent Ely to contract
Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Free agent forward/center Melvin Ely has reached an agreement with the Hornets on a contract, an NBA source Wednesday told The Associated Press.

The source confirmed the signing but did not want to be identified before Thursday's formal announcement was made.

Ely, 29, 6-10, 260 pounds, is a fifth-year veteran traded by the Charlotte Bobcats to the San Antonio Spurs in February. He played in six games for the Spurs but was inactive for the playoffs. The Spurs won their third NBA championship in June against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Los Angeles Clippers drafted Ely in the first round of the 2002 draft out of Fresno State. He played two seasons with the Clippers before they traded him to the Bobcats.

Ely's best season was in 2004-05, when he averaged 7.3 points and 4.1 rebounds for Charlotte.

Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said the team was looking to sign a center to provide depth behind starter Tyson Chandler and second-year player Hilton Armstrong.

Ely's signing likely is the Hornets' last major roster addition before training camp begins next month. The Hornets open against the Sacramento Kings on Oct. 31.

timvp
09-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Congrats :tu

He earned his ring by decking Mark Madsen. That might have been worth two rings, actually.

T Park
09-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Didn't he deck someone else?

Fast Dunk
09-13-2007, 01:33 AM
your momma..idiot!

saporvida
09-13-2007, 02:25 AM

He earned his ring by decking Mark Madsen. That might have been worth two rings, actually.

i cant stand madsen... ely thanks for doing what i always dreamt of. fuck madsen!

DON VITO
09-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Free agent forward/center Melvin Ely has reached an agreement with the Hornets on a contract, an NBA source Wednesday told The Associated Press.

The source confirmed the signing but did not want to be identified before Thursday's formal announcement was made.

Ely, 29, 6-10, 260 pounds, is a fifth-year veteran traded by the Charlotte Bobcats to the San Antonio Spurs in February. He played in six games for the Spurs but was inactive for the playoffs. The Spurs won their third NBA championship in June against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Los Angeles Clippers drafted Ely in the first round of the 2002 draft out of Fresno State. He played two seasons with the Clippers before they traded him to the Bobcats.

Ely's best season was in 2004-05, when he averaged 7.3 points and 4.1 rebounds for Charlotte.

Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said the team was looking to sign a center to provide depth behind starter Tyson Chandler and second-year player Hilton Armstrong.

Ely's signing likely is the Hornets' last major roster addition before training camp begins next month. The Hornets open against the Sacramento Kings on Oct. 31.
The Spurs won their THIRD NBA Championship? Huh?

Fast Dunk
09-13-2007, 02:40 AM
The Spurs won their THIRD NBA Championship? Huh?

Shit!! people don't even acknowledge your latest "title"?

Beno Udrih
09-13-2007, 03:04 AM
:lol You probably would kill your self if Kori IP banned you. I actually kind of feel sorry for you.

Mister Sinister
09-13-2007, 03:06 AM
:lol You probably would kill your self if Kori IP banned you. I actually kind of feel sorry for you.
I wouldn't. I'd laugh. And laugh. And laugh. Then I'd get a glass of water, and then I'd laugh some more.

Admidave50
09-13-2007, 03:16 AM

I didn't know this story, is there a video of this somewhere?

saporvida
09-13-2007, 04:07 AM

that would be such a blessing... music to my ears.

Darkwaters
09-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Melvin Ely signed with the Hornets? I guess he just likes going to teams where he has virtually no chance of playing.

Tyson Chandler has cemented himself as the starting center. He was .1RPG behind Kevin Garnett last year for the league rebounding title and saw a major increase in his offensive production. There is no way Ely removes him.

David West came off of two injury-laden seasons to move into the starting spot (following the Jamal Magloire trade) for the Hornets. He has led the team in scoring the past 2 years and has gained consistency in his play. After finishing second in most improved player voting a couple years back (behind the now forgotten Boris Diaw) it doesn't appear hes going anywhere.

Lastly, the Hornets have a pair of former 1st round post players that are just coming off of their rookie seasons: Hilton Armstrong and Cedric Simmons. The team has shown an obvious commitment to these two players' development and likes their effort. While Ely could challenge them for playing time early in the season, it's doubtful that he'll be getting the nod all season long.

My money is on Ely getting put in Byron Scott's now infamous doghouse and riding out the season as injury insurance.

Spurs Brazil
09-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Good luck to Ely

barbacoataco
09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I think Phoenix was looking at Ely since they need another big.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Shit!! people don't even acknowledge your latest "title"?yeah. the finals weren't that much of a challenge. :donkey

angel_luv
09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Congrats Ely. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Him decking Madsen was probably a top 3 moment for me in the 07 season. Good luck Ely!

MrChug
09-14-2007, 02:52 AM
I don't have any idea how in the hell we win another title now. :depressed

MajorMike
09-14-2007, 09:11 AM

I guess we don't get recognition by beating a grade school squad.

boutons_
09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
If the Suns had beaten the Cavs, the Suns' Title would have been The Mother of All Titles http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

SenorSpur
09-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Him decking Madsen was probably a top 3 moment for me in the 07 season. Good luck Ely!

I don't remember the play. Can someone fill me in on what exactly happened between him and Madsen?

SenorSpur
09-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Associated Press

Other than TD, there is still no solid low-post scorer on this team. Whenever TD sits, the Spurs style of play resorts to a strictly perimeter one.

I wish we could have gotten a better look at him. I still think he could have make a meager contribution to this team.

Good luck to Ely.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-14-2007, 05:26 PM

We have high standards. We don't count wins over JV squads like the Cavs.

ducks
09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
it is easy to beat little james

Obstructed_View
09-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Fuck the Spurs. They let Ely go for nothing. NOTHING. What an idiotic front office. No wonder the Spurs suck so bad. And they let him go to a DIVISION RIVAL!!!! WTF??? :pctoss

duncan228
09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Fuck the Spurs. They let Ely go for nothing. NOTHING. What an idiotic front office. No wonder the Spurs suck so bad. And they let him go to a DIVISION RIVAL!!!! WTF??? :pctoss

:rollin

anakha
09-14-2007, 11:15 PM

:lmao

Beautiful. I tip my hat to you, sir.

mavs>spurs2
09-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Link? :smokin

703 Spurz
09-19-2007, 09:26 PM

I thought I smelled cat shit :lol