PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden Out for Season

Tippecanoe
09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvkAU6xp82gikpuCKfQrDmU5nYcB?slug=aw-oden091307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

bummer :depressed

JamStone
09-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow!

duncan228
09-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Tippecanoe, hope you don't mind.
Here's the link article.

Oden lost for season

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Greg Oden , the Portland Trail Blazers' No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, will miss the 2007-2008 season after knee surgery on Thursday, two league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Oden, the 7-footer out of Ohio State, underwent exploratory surgery on his right knee on Thursday in Vancouver. The extent of the damage was not immediately clear, but Oden, one of the most celebrated young players in years, will be lost for the season.

The Blazers are expected to make an announcement shortly.

duncan228
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh...My sincere sympathy to TLong.

Clemenza
09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Sucks :(

Findog
09-13-2007, 01:12 PM
fuck fuck fuck. As a basketball fan, this blows.

ducks
09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
atleast he might be heathy next season as long as he does not sit on the coach!

monosylab1k
09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
i'm converted. i thought he was a future Hall Of Famer before he ever put on a jersey, but this guy will never amount to anything.

Greg Oden will always be injury prone. Sam Bowie Part 2.

monosylab1k
09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
microfracture surgery too....he's fucked.

Flo-Rida
09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
blazers are FUCKED

monosylab1k
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
blazers are FUCKED
The Blazers still have a good young nucleus, but they can kiss their hopes of Oden being the next dominating Center goodbye.

duncan228
09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
He'll never be the same.
Few ever are.

It's really sad.

JamStone
09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
blazers are FUCKED

Aldridge, Channing Frye, Przybilla, Josh McRoberts, Lafrentz (was he even going to play?) still make up a solid front court. No where near what they would be with the athleticism and physical abilities of Oden. But, I don't think it kills them. Heck, maybe they'll get another high draft pick and either OJ Mayo or Derrick Rose ends up being their point guard. They've been getting awfully lucky in the lottery the last couple years.

dallaskd
09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
ahaha. Seattle is looking sexy right now.

Findog
09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
He'll never be the same.
Few ever are.

It's really sad.

Tell that to Zach Randolph. Amare is getting closer to being what he was.

JamStone
09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
ahaha. Seattle is looking sexy right now.

You mean Oklahoma City?

:lol

monosylab1k
09-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm sure Oden can recover fully from this, but it's the fact that he ALWAYS has some injury.

First the wrist, then tonsils, now his knee.

This guy's the the injury bug somethin fierce and I doubt he'll ever get over it.

O-Factor
09-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Oden=Bowie

Strike
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
TLongII needs to be put on suicide watch.

:bang

ducks
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
ESPN reporting they had to do microfracture surgery

Celebrated Trail Blazers rookie center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, will likely miss the 2007-2008 season after undergoing knee surgery Thursday, the team said.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a microfracture surgery today," team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who performed the surgery, said in a statement posted on the Trail Blazers' Web site. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with microfracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage.

"There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all, he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from microfracture surgery."

The Blazers are to discuss the news at a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference. Oden's procedure was performed in Vancouver, Wash.

Oden described the knee pain in an entry Tuesday on his personal blog:

"On my vacation earlier this summer i got up off the couch and remember my knee having a sharp pain in it. That was about a month ago. I didn't tell anyone because i didn't want to seem like i was complaining or making excuses for anything. Plus i wasn't doing anything at the time i realized it hurt, so i figured it couldn't be anything big.

"After a couple of weeks, i had to finally tell someone so i went to St. Vincent's Sports Performance (where i worked out at before draft) and got my knee looked at. That was right before i moved to Portland for good. My knee was swollen since i was there. I finally just said that i need to tell my trainer because this is not normal. We went to the doctor's the next day to get a MRI and that night me and my mom ended up in the doctor's office being told that I have to get surgery. It's a light one, just a scoop, but still it's just another setback. I would like for me to be playing and not seem like i'm a high-maintenance player, but things just keep popping up.

This is Oden's second health problem since the Trail Blazers drafted him in June. He had a tonsillectomy in July after struggling in two Las Vegas summer league games.

Oden, despite being hampered by a wrist injury during his freshman (and only) season at Ohio State, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in leading the Buckeyes to the national championship game. He had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the loss to Florida.

The Trail Blazers were the surprise winners of the NBA draft lottery and chose Oden over Texas forward Kevin Durant, who went to Seattle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3017538

Tippecanoe
09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

didnt amare lose about 3" on his vertical after the surgery? it'll definitely limit oden's upside. this fucking blows, not just for portland, but for the whole league

duncan228
09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Agreed, but they're the exception to the rule.

IIRC, most never are the same.

Besides, Amare a freak of nature! :lol

samikeyp
09-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Sam Bowie Part 2

First thing I thought of too. Sonic fan is hoping the same thing happens to the guy whom Portland passed on.

Blazers must be snake bit.

Strike
09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Besides, Amare a freak of nature! :lol

What he lacks in brains, he makes up for in mouth.
Ok, back to the topic at hand...............

Trainwreck2100
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Durant is going to avg. 40+ this year

Findog
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Don't forget Jason Kidd. Microfracture didn't slow him down.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Looks like Durant will be blasting off into stardom while Oden watches from the sidelines.

Budkin
09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Man this just sucks for the whole NBA. :depressed

duncan228
09-13-2007, 02:12 PM
The Blazers statement:

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Oden_Undergoes_Microfracture_S-236705-1218.html

Oden Undergoes Microfracture Surgery

An exploratory arthroscopic surgery performed on Greg Oden today revealed cartilage damage to the Portland Trail Blazers rookie’s right knee. Oden is likely to miss the 2007-08 NBA season.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a micro fracture surgery today," said team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who preformed the surgery. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with micro fracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage. There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from micro fracture surgery."

Oden is expected to be on crutches for up to eight weeks. Recovery time from micro fracture surgery varies from person to person, but generally takes between six and 12 months for full recovery.

"Certainly this is a setback, but our future is still incredibly bright," said Trail Blazers General Manager Kevin Pritchard. "Is it disappointing? Yes. However, this is a great core of talent and players of strong character and will continue to be."

Oden, the #1 pick in June’s NBA Draft, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds for Ohio State last season, leading the Buckeyes to the NCAA national championship game as a freshman.

"We know this discouraging news for all of our fans, however, the people of Portland are very enthusiastic and compassionate about their Trail Blazers and I know they will stand behind Greg and the team during his recovery," said Trail Blazers President Larry Miller. "We believe our fans and sponsors are going to continue to support us because they know we’re headed in the right direction."

BacktoBasics
09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Don't forget Jason Kidd. Microfracture didn't slow him down.Kidd never jumped high or lived around the rim. Nor did he have any speed. I don't think thats a fair comparison. Right now Amare is the best example of a successful microfracture case.

duncan228
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
It looke like there's going to be a press conference that you can watch on NBA.com.
4:30 EST. (About 15 minutes from now.)

lefty
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
So that means Portland will get the 2008 1st pick.... :dizzy (or top 5 at least)

dallaskd
09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
shoulda kept randolph...oden is gonna be a bitch pick now. he will never be the same. this will be a huge draft bust after Durant becomes a superstar.

Testing
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Wow, this is the problem with the NBA. Doesn't Oden already have like dozen's of endorsement deals signed??? These days young players drafted high are given the world based on their promise and expectations, but they should wait to earn it!

AnkleBreaker21
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
wheres tlong at now,lol

duncan228
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
wheres tlong at now,lol

He's around.
He deserves our support.
He's a fan of his team just like we're a fan of ours.
Injury sucks, for anyone.

It's a horrible thing, for the Blazers and for the league.

JMarkJohns
09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Terrible news for any NBA fan. Hopefully its not something that ends his potential before he's ever got the chance to fulfill it.

kingsfan
09-13-2007, 04:12 PM
The Kings fans who were dying for him to be on our team are relieved now I bet. So much for lehype part 2

Dirk Nowitzki
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
So now the Blazers are going to be on National TV so the nation can watch them get their asses kicked on a nightly basis? :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun

dallaskd
09-13-2007, 05:57 PM
You mean Oklahoma City?

Cry Havoc
09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Sad. Just sad. He had the potential to be one of the best centers of all time.

Supergirl
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Man this sucks for the Blazers.

angel_luv
09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
That's sad. Poor Oden.
Sorry T Long. :(

ducks
09-13-2007, 11:17 PM
shoulda kept randolph...oden is gonna be a bitch pick now. he will never be the same. this will be a huge draft bust after Durant becomes a superstar.
zach was a cancer needed to get rid of him anyhow

ducks
09-13-2007, 11:17 PM
So now the Blazers are going to be on National TV so the nation can watch them get their asses kicked on a nightly basis? :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun
along with mavs getting owned by gs

MrChug
09-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad day in basketball.

SpursFanFirst
09-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm a little slow getting to the sports news tonight, but man this is huge!
My apologies to the Portland fans. That really sucks! :(

mavs>spurs2
09-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Kidd never jumped high or lived around the rim. Nor did he have any speed. I don't think thats a fair comparison. Right now Amare is the best example of a successful microfracture case.

Every great guard has speed, Kidd may not be as fast as Tony Parker but he is fast.

Some people just recover better from this type of surgury than others. It didn't seem to affect Kidd, and while it has affected Amare he is still a very explosive player and is getting pretty close to where he was before the surgury. On the other hand you have athletic freaks like McDyess who never recover and have to totally change their game because they can no longer run and jump with the beswt of them. It's really a case by case issue, we will just have to sit back and see how he responds.

Streakyshooter08
09-14-2007, 03:36 AM
That really sucks. I wish him the best. I hope he will be able to play in 08/09.

Avitus1
09-14-2007, 06:08 AM
That really sucks hard, as a bball fan. Must suck worse for Portland fans.

Soul_Patch
09-14-2007, 10:06 AM
That just completely blows. He really excited me about this season. The trailblazers sure do seem to have some bad luck!

FlyHigh07
09-14-2007, 06:03 PM
:lmao to Tlong!

baseline bum
09-14-2007, 09:15 PM
What a damper to put on the 07-08 season. :(

Crap, Oden looked like he was going to be half Shaq, half Amare. Devastating blow for any basketball fan.

SpursDynasty
09-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Wow, I predicted Oden would be an overhyped number one draft pick fluke like LeBron, Yao, and Dwight Howard.

He didn't even have to bounce the ball in an NBA game before becoming a fluke.

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow, I predicted Oden would be an overhyped number one draft pick fluke like LeBron, Yao, and Dwight Howard.

die

Findog
09-15-2007, 12:46 AM

You stay classy, Drummer Boy. Exhibit A for why you suck.

anakha
09-15-2007, 02:07 AM

You didn't have to open your mouth before people rightly started pegging you for a moron. :lol

Mister Sinister
09-15-2007, 06:10 AM

http://masklinnscans.free.fr/4chan/gtfo.jpg

duncan228
09-15-2007, 08:34 AM

How is LeBron an overhyped fluke?

Granted, there's a lot of hype around him, but he's got a game. He came into a man's league with the mind of a child and the body of a man. I think he's done damn good living up to the hype that has come with him. He'll mature and get better.

And that's just a shitty thing to say about Oden. The guy hasn't had a chance to show us what he'll have on an NBA court. Calling him out is unfair and mean spirited. He's a kid and he's hurt. Give him a break.

Are you an NBA fan or just a Spurs fan?

Findog
09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
^ don't waste your time debating him, Duncan228, just mock him mercilessly like the rest of us do. He doesn't deserve a serious reply.

duncan228
09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
^ don't waste your time debating him, Duncan228, just mock him mercilessly like the rest of us do. He doesn't deserve a serious reply.

I know, I know.

I usually don't reply to anything he says.
But the LeBron comment got to me.

LeBron is surrounded by a lot of hype but I think he's done well to live up to most of it. The guy can play.

And if SpursDynasty doesn't think Oden's injury hurts the league I figured he must not be an NBA fan! :lol

SpursDynasty
09-15-2007, 07:07 PM
We shouldn't be too hard on Oden. He wasn't going to turn Portland around or anything. Just a glorified high school street baller.

dirk4mvp
09-15-2007, 07:10 PM
You need a girlfriend.

SpursDynasty
09-15-2007, 07:11 PM
First he couldn't play for the U.S. team because of a soar throat or some other excuse.

Now this.

Portland should have gone with Durant.

duncan228
09-15-2007, 07:17 PM
You need a girlfriend.

Would that put him out of our misery?

Strike
09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Would that put him out of our misery?

What about the misery it was cause the girl???

No chick deserves that.

duncan228
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
What about the misery it was cause the girl???

No chick deserves that.

Good point.
I guess we're stuck with him. :lol

anakha
09-16-2007, 02:47 AM
We shouldn't be too hard on Oden. He wasn't going to turn Portland around or anything. Just a glorified high school street baller.

We shouldn't be too hard on SpursDynasty. He wasn't going to actually contribute anything of substance to this forum. Just a glorified homer with a knack for spouting the most inane takes since Bill Walton got off the good shit. :hat

Greg Oden
09-17-2007, 12:29 AM
lies

MicrofractureDynasty
09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
No surprises here. Just ending an athlete's season that I was supposed to end.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

OdenCouchDynasty
09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
But if he hadn't had sat on me you wouldn't have had the opportunity to end his season.

Greg Oden
09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
fuck you all.

OdenCouchDynasty
09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
It's your fault. I told you not to sit on me.

Greg Oden
09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
tell me who you are or i'm gonna fuck you up.

OdenCouchDynasty
09-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Go for it. Lay on me so I can tear a rotator cuff.