PDA

View Full Version : Good going Miami...

Buddy Holly
09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
An actual MLB game is occurring at the time of this picture.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MDS106091216_1024x768.jpg

FYI... This has nothing to do with bitterness towards the Marlins, etc. This is just sad.

Tippecanoe
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
wow. just wow.

Melmart1
09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Damn, there were more people at the half-empty Wolff for a Missions game I went to on Monday. I guess I shouldn't bitch about attendence.

T Park
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
wowzers.....

Shoulda moved to SA!!! :spin

Rip-Hamilton32
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
now if all those fans don't get you pumped i don't think any thing can

MajorMike
09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
What is the date of said picture?

Buddy Holly
09-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Yesterday, 2007.

dallaskd
09-13-2007, 07:53 PM
is that less than 100? wow amazing. thats just sad. WOW thats incredible.

SrA Husker
09-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Official Attendence 10,121.

The sad fact of that number means they have less than 11,000 season ticket holders. That's plain sad.

Buddy Holly
09-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Mothaf--kas bolt on SA for that crap!?! Granted, from what I've heard they did genuinely want to relocate here but the biggest deciding factor for them not to was a lack of infrastructure in San Antonio. But jesus christ, that'll come with time. Those Miami fans won't.

Das Texan
09-14-2007, 12:03 AM
The Marlins were always using San Antonio as a buffer in an effort to get a stadium in Miami.

We called their bluff and they blinked.

That stadium sucks, Miami hates the owner, and the Miami fan in general is just shitty.

Great combination all around for a winning situation.

Typical bullshit from my team and their reputation as being the cheapest fucking organization in all of sports.

Buddy Holly
09-14-2007, 12:22 AM
The Marlins were always using San Antonio as a buffer in an effort to get a stadium in Miami.

Actually wrong, the Marlins were quite serious with SA. I won't say much more but I'm not being facetious.

Booharv
09-14-2007, 12:54 AM
That's unreal. If I were they I would have literally done a head count.

MajorMike
09-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Per SI.com:

There were about 400 fans on hand when the game started Wednesday afternoon and the announced attendance was 10,121. The Marlins have the smallest total attendance in the majors.

Marklar MM
09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I think the Tigers had 10 thousand in the stadium at 3am the other day.

DarkReign
09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
I think the Tigers had 10 thousand in the stadium at 3am the other day.

LOL

To be fair, it wasnt always that way. Detroit isnt a very loyal fanbase. You are required to be competitive, then the fanbase will vigorously support you. Unless youre the Lions....

I just dont understand that. I dont think I ever will. The Lions could make the playoffs this year and I will not cheer for them. I hope that loser organization continues to lose for as long as Ford Senior lives. After the fuck-all job hes done as owner that old crotchety bastard doesnt deserve to see "his" team do anything but lose, listen to fans crying his name in derision until his slow agonizing death finally overcomes his worthless body and frail mind.

Just like his auto company, the man is ultra-loyal to an ultra-fault. Holding to incompetent, even ruinous, individuals because they shoved their head in his ass the right way. The man was born a Ford, he didnt make the company or pioneer it any way. The old fuck had to be forced out of the business because, once again, he was too damn nice to run the show.

Worthless motherfucker. And I hope all you Lions fans suffer with him, you dumb sons of bitches. You think "Fire Millen" signs at games is funny and getting the message across? Youre pathetic, all of you.

Lions Fan-idiots could learn something from those Miami fans. But the fuckwads that continue to support that dysfunctional franchise continue the misery but funding it. Youre either part of the solution, or youre part of the problem. Giving your money over to those....morons at Ford Field is part of the problem.

Oh no! But football is KING! Yeah! Football rules, huzzah! Lions fans are the most pathetic losers in all of sports. And even worse, the people that fund that loser organization are criminal, IMO.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
You obviously don't remember the days before Barry Sanders. 30,000 strong in the 80,000 seat Silverdome.

Selling out when the team sucks is a new phenomenon and an odd one at that in this city.

I prefer to watch on TV so I can change to a different game when the Leos are getting blown out in the first few minutes of the second quarter.

timvp
09-14-2007, 08:23 PM
"Looks like there was a problem with Ticketmaster."
--Spurs Fans

OldDirtMcGirt
09-14-2007, 09:30 PM
You obviously don't remember the days before Barry Sanders. 30,000 strong in the 80,000 seat Silverdome.

Selling out when the team sucks is a new phenomenon and an odd one at that in this city.

I prefer to watch on TV so I can change to a different game when the Leos are getting blown out in the first few minutes of the second quarter.

Pretty much the same thing at the Cardinals. I remember when we still play at Sun Devil Stadium and the opposing team fans outnumbered us two to one.

But at least Arizona/Detroit fans have an excuse as the Lions and Cards have been so bad for so long. The Marlins are only a couple years removed from a world series.

T Park
09-17-2007, 03:52 AM
"Looks like there was a problem with Ticketmaster."
--Spurs Fans

"Fucking Holt"

"True" Spurs fans.

bresilhac
09-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I couldn't believe that was an actual "crowd" at a MLB game. Loria passed up on San Antonio for that crap? What a joke. Anyway it is now near the end of the 2007 season and there has been no news from the Marlins camp on a possible stadium deal in South Florida. Will the Marlins eventually move to San Antonio? I personally still believe that will be the case. I realize Miami is a much bigger television market than South Texas but a full stadium on a regular basis has to be encouraging for a team and for that reason worth something to an owner. And that is just what a MLB team here would enjoy.

StylisticS
09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't know if San Antonio could support an MLB right now. Maybe in another 10-20 years when the metro reaches 3 million and it has a much larger corporate base (people seem to underestimate this very reason on why cities get professional teams). NFL would be ideal, but MLB will be too hard. Supporting a small market team that will consistenly lose because MLB does not cater to metros like San Antonio like the NBA does. Nothing against the city whatsoever, but even with Austin towards all of South Texas, it would still be hard.

That said, I wouldn't oppose a team going to San Antonio. Texas having 3 MLB teams would be great. But WHY are people surprised about Miami fans? I know people on here like to talk about Dallas. But at least the Rangers get somewhat of a decent crowd in the middle of a soulless suburb. Miami fans are just as bad as Atlanta fans. They are worse than Dallas and LA fans. 4 years ago, nobody cared for the Heat. Now all they can do is sell out. That area only cares for 1 sport team. The Dolphins.

fyatuk
09-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Anyway it is now near the end of the 2007 season and there has been no news from the Marlins camp on a possible stadium deal in South Florida.

Well, last I heard it might be just about a done deal at the Orange Bowl site. With UM moving to share the Dolphins home, the Orange Bowl would be tenantless, so they don't need to do the planned $150m renovations to it, and the politicians seemed supportive of using $60m of that to cover the funding gap towards building the Marlins stadium at that site.

bresilhac
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, last I heard it might be just about a done deal at the Orange Bowl site. With UM moving to share the Dolphins home, the Orange Bowl would be tenantless, so they don't need to do the planned $150m renovations to it, and the politicians seemed supportive of using $60m of that to cover the funding gap towards building the Marlins stadium at that site.

Every single financing attempt for the benefit of the Marlins over the last dozen or so years has met with failure in South Florida. I don't see where this plan will be any different. Even though it may sound encouraging for the team the powers that be will most likely find a way to smother the deal as has happened so often before. The Florida legislature denied Marlin funding five straight times and the local governments do not seem too overly motivated to lend any support for the team either. The Marlins are an orphan in Miami and should move as soon as possible. Preferably to San Antonio. To me this outcome seems inevitable.

fyatuk
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Every single financing attempt for the benefit of the Marlins over the last dozen or so years has met with failure in South Florida. I don't see where this plan will be any different. Even though it may sound encouraging for the team the powers that be will most likely find a way to smother the deal as has happened so often before. The Florida legislature denied Marlin funding five straight times and the local governments do not seem too overly motivated to lend any support for the team either. The Marlins are an orphan in Miami and should move as soon as possible. Preferably to San Antonio. To me this outcome seems inevitable.

That's what's different about this time. It's the local, both city and county, officials talking about funneling the money that would have been used to upgrade the OB to cover the funding gap of basically the same agreement the city/county and Marlins have had several times (it was almost always the state refusing to cover the gap that killed the proposals).

It's probably the most promising situation yet, and the MLB office seems to now be trying to pressure the locals as well (they are obsessed with Miami and don't want the team to move).

Granted, it's probably not worth Miami fans getting their hopes up until a deal is signed, sealed and delivered.