PDA

View Full Version : from breaking news on ESPN.com Belichick Fined; Pats Lose Pick

ducks
09-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Bill Belichick was hit with a $500,000 fine Thursday night -- the maximum allowable by NFL by-laws -- for violating the league's policy on videotaping the Jets defensive signs Sunday. In addition, Roger Goodell notified the Patriots that they would forfeit a 2008 first-round draft choice if they reach the playoffs, or second- and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs. The club was also fined $250,000.

clambake
09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
just heard. wow

ducks
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
wow what

should have been more picks
weak

Fabbs
09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
whats 500K to an organization and man worth millions?
Draft pick. Big wow. Look how it hurt Denver with Elway.

This is as lame as MLBs steroid *investigation*.

tlongII
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
They lose a draft pick only if they make the playoffs. That's pretty much a given though.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-13-2007, 08:46 PM
They pussed out. Belichick should have been suspended.

SAtown
09-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Slap on the wrist

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2007, 09:01 PM
They lose a draft pick only if they make the playoffs. That's pretty much a given though.

They lose a second AND third if they fail to make the playoffs.

FromWayDowntown
09-13-2007, 09:04 PM

They have the 49'ers #1 in 2008 already, which will be better than their own. Even when they're penalized, the Patriots still seem to somehow get over.

TheSanityAnnex
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Seems like a fair punishment.

Fillmoe
09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
they should have taken both 1st round picks

spursreport
09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Karma will catch up to the Patriots just like it did last season and the year before.

samikeyp
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
they should have taken both 1st round picks

:tu

scott
09-13-2007, 09:24 PM
So Wade Wilson gets 5 games because he took some stuff to get him a boner, but Belicheat gets busted for CHEATING and only get a fine?

Goodell dropped the ball on this one.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
I think that's fair.

lefty
09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Pretty lame

King
09-13-2007, 09:38 PM
A first round pick is a pretty significant penalty. It's a possible core player for a decade. A suspension is a few games.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2007, 09:38 PM
No forefit of the game in which they were caught cheating? No suspensions? Well, the new commish is officially a joke. How he comes down so harsh on Wade Wilson and others and lets this team get away with cheating the game just shows where his allegiance lies. Way to be a corrupt, double standard fuck up Goodell.

IceColdBrewski
09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Lame. If I were commish, BB would've been suspended for the season, and then the team would've been stripped of all communicating and recording devices for the rest of the season.

Let em use hand signals for a year.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
A first round pick is a pretty significant penalty. It's a possible core player for a decade. A suspension is a few games.

They lose their high 20s first but get the 49ers 1st. How is that much of a punishment for a team where their 1st would only be a backup at best?

TheSanityAnnex
09-13-2007, 09:50 PM
From what I'm hearing, this may not be the end of it. Mangini said he's been trying to catch New England doing this since he signed with the Jets. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull up more evidence from past games with a Patriot staff taping the other team. If any more evidence comes out, I expect a much harsher penalty to be served.

I actually feel bad for Patriots fans. Imagine if this happened to your own team, what a shitty feeling. The chants of "cheater, cheater" will follow them around for years to come.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Why not both?

King
09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
They lose their high 20s first but get the 49ers 1st. How is that much of a punishment for a team where their 1st would only be a backup at best?

So it'd be a harsher punishment for the team to suspend the head coach for a few weeks?

J.T.
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
The Colts will make sure the Pats don't go anywhere near Arizona this February.

T Park
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Lame. If I were commish, BB would've been suspended for the season, and then the team would've been stripped of all communicating and recording devices for the rest of the season.

Agreed.

That. The draft pick. AND Belicheck suspended for a year.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
So it'd be a harsher punishment for the team to suspend the head coach for a few weeks?

Actually, I think he should have been suspended 8 games, they forefit the game in which they got caught, and they lose all of their 1st day draft picks. That in addition to the big fines.

If they get caught again, it should be a loss of all 1st day draft picks for 3 years and a year suspension for the head coach.

Whisky Dog
09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I also like the idea of removing all Pats communication devices, but that will only encourage other teams to cheat against them so it would be counter-productive.

I guess there are countless ways to judge it, but a sport's integrity is the only thing keeping it from being worthless trash so you would think violating it would carry a huge penalty.

samikeyp
09-13-2007, 11:12 PM

You need to be commish.

leemajors
09-13-2007, 11:26 PM
The Colts will make sure the Pats don't go anywhere near Arizona this February.
you sound eerily like mav fan after 2006.

Switchman
09-14-2007, 12:00 AM
From what I'm hearing, this may not be the end of it. Mangini said he's been trying to catch New England doing this since he signed with the Jets. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull up more evidence from past games with a Patriot staff taping the other team. If any more evidence comes out, I expect a much harsher penalty to be served.

I actually feel bad for Patriots fans. Imagine if this happened to your own team, what a shitty feeling. The chants of "cheater, cheater" will follow them around for years to come.

I can't imagine what that feels like

:lol

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 12:14 AM
fair punishment for being caught doing something that everybody else does too. it's definitely possible that they got off lightly though.

BeerIsGood!
09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I don't think people realize just how much of an advantage this could have been for the Pats. Teams don't change their signs for every game due to a high probablility of confusion and an increased probability of blown coverages leading to easy scores for the offense. The Pats could have been video taping the signs in the 1st meeting for use against division rivals in the 2nd, and also could have employed a "scout" team to tape the next weeks coming opponent. This is a huge development that has people questioning calls going back years and leads to questions like this one from the Cowboys site:

"Dylan Falkenburg, Wells, Maine: Just wanted to get your thoughts on the two amazing blitz pickups in the Bill vs. Bill game back in 2003. When I watched this game I was ready to bow down to the Patriots' staff as the greatest play-callers of all time. Two big blitzes from the Cowboys, and two incidents of perfect blocking assignments being called. Two big plays, leading to two scores. Have I been duped? Is Belichick just a cheater?

Mickey: You know, now that you mention this, I remember that well, how the Patriots seemed to counter the blitzing Cowboys with screen passes thrown away from the blitz. Seemingly every time. And I was with you back then. But now, this is what happens when someone's credibility is called into question, just as the NBA recently went through with referee Tim Donaghy, everyone going back to games he worked and calling into question some of his calls. This is why Roger Goodell's punishment must be swift and harsh. "

To me those are all legitimate questions now and the benefit gained by cheating could have been huge for their entire SB runs. This has to shake the NFL to the core much, much worse than the Michael Vick problem.

BeerIsGood!
09-14-2007, 12:20 AM
fair punishment for being caught doing something that everybody else does too.

How do you know everybody else does it? Has anyone else been caught that I'm not aware?

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 12:24 AM
How do you know everybody else does it? Has anyone else been caught that I'm not aware?
You're right, you're only cheating if you get caught. Texas has never paid a football player to play there. Only SMU has done that. Fuckin cheaters.

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 12:26 AM
The anti-Patriots bias is hilarious.

The Dolphins steal a playbook. Nothing happens.

The Jets tamper with trade offers & contract re-negotiations involving a player UNDER CONTRACT to the Patriots. Nothing happens.

If this was the Bengals getting caught doing it to New England, they'd probably be bumped to the front of the line to receive a Congressional Medal Of Honor.

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 12:36 AM
another thing that needs to be taken into account is that nobody knows the extent to which those video tapes were used. since Goodell is the one that reviewed it, only he knows exactly what the Patriots did to cheat. maybe his punishment was too light, maybe it was just right. unless you see those tapes for yourself you really can't go suggesting year long suspensions and all this crap.

but what the fuck do i know, i'm just a Patriots homer, right?

BeerIsGood!
09-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Woa, no need to take it personally. I'm sure there may be others out there cheating as well, but until they are uncovered there is one major distinction: The Patriots are the ones who got caught. You can't punish people you haven't caught doing anything wrong, so it is up to the league to investigate complaints and punish people who are caught. I'm not so much interested in the severity of the punishment since I don't know exactly what was on the tapes and any other evidence the league has gathered. I'm more interested in exactly what they were caught doing and just how long they have been doing this, because it could possibly have played a role in the championships that they have won. It may not have, but it's very possible at this point that it did.

TheSanityAnnex
09-14-2007, 01:09 AM
fair punishment for being caught doing something that everybody else does too. You just won't give up will you :lol

TheSanityAnnex
09-14-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm more interested in exactly what they were caught doing and just how long they have been doing this, because it could possibly have played a role in the championships that they have won. It may not have, but it's very possible at this point that it did.I won't be surprised in a week or two when there is evidence they've cheated for years.

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Here is the picture of the dumbass that got caught...
http://touchdown.org/pats-camera.jpg
LMFAO How FUCKING STUPID is this guy? He is RIGHT IN THE JETS FACE just brazenly videotaping them. What the fuck were the Patriots thinking hiring this retard?

Almost as funny is the Jets personnel just sitting there letting him do it.

I'm sure the guy the Jets hired to videotape the Patriots signals was sitting in the stands laughing his head off at this dumbass.

Fabbs
09-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Almost as funny as BeliSnake saying "We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress."

O-Factor
09-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't think people realize just how much of an advantage this could have been for the Pats. Teams don't change their signs for every game due to a high probablility of confusion and an increased probability of blown coverages leading to easy scores for the offense. The Pats could have been video taping the signs in the 1st meeting for use against division rivals in the 2nd, and also could have employed a "scout" team to tape the next weeks coming opponent. This is a huge development that has people questioning calls going back years and leads to questions like this one from the Cowboys site:

"Dylan Falkenburg, Wells, Maine: Just wanted to get your thoughts on the two amazing blitz pickups in the Bill vs. Bill game back in 2003. When I watched this game I was ready to bow down to the Patriots' staff as the greatest play-callers of all time. Two big blitzes from the Cowboys, and two incidents of perfect blocking assignments being called. Two big plays, leading to two scores. Have I been duped? Is Belichick just a cheater?

Mickey: You know, now that you mention this, I remember that well, how the Patriots seemed to counter the blitzing Cowboys with screen passes thrown away from the blitz. Seemingly every time. And I was with you back then. But now, this is what happens when someone's credibility is called into question, just as the NBA recently went through with referee Tim Donaghy, everyone going back to games he worked and calling into question some of his calls. This is why Roger Goodell's punishment must be swift and harsh. "

To me those are all legitimate questions now and the benefit gained by cheating could have been huge for their entire SB runs. This has to shake the NFL to the core much, much worse than the Michael Vick problem.

I was thinking the exact same thing...Couldn't of said it better....well put :toast

J.T.
09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
you sound eerily like mav fan after 2006.

The difference between 2006 Mav Fan is that he thought 67 wins equals trophy.... kind of like how Patsy fans think signing some big names equals trophy... hmmmmm. This Colts team is better than last year's, don't see why it's impossible to think they would beat the Pats again. Don't know where you got that idea buddy.

dougp
09-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Stealing signs isn't something against the rules, it was the camera. You're pretty fuckin dense if you think teams do not steal signals, or anything to gain a competitive advantage.

Marklar MM
09-14-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

ducks
09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
The Gameface: Sandlot boys

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
September 14, 2007

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface091407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Just before halftime of last Sunday's game between the New York Jets and New England Patriots at Giants Stadium, a slight, unassuming man in a dark blue Pats polo shirt and khaki shorts was stopped by NFL security officials as he tried to enter the visitors' locker room. Suddenly, a 26-year-old video assistant named Matt Estrella found himself in a scene that might have been lifted from "The Bourne Ultimatum."

Suspected of having filmed hand signals from Jets' coaches while standing on that team's sideline, Estrella was interrogated in the bowels of the stadium by Jets and NFL security officials. New Jersey state troopers and FBI agents were also summoned. Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets' general manager, left his seat during the second half and entered the fray, sternly lecturing Estrella about his apparent violation of NFL rules.

At one point, somebody brought Estrella a glass of water. He was shaking so hard that he spilled it all over himself. For all we know, that wasn't the only liquid that ended up on Estrella's person during the hour-long grilling.

Congratulations, Bill Belichick and Eric Mangini: your petty, childish little feud just made a member of the hired help wet his pants.

Now that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has come down hard on Belichick and the Patriots, fining the coach $500,000 and docking the organization $250,000 and a first-round NFL draft pick (if New England makes the playoffs) or second- and third-round choices in 2008, we can all sit back and condemn him for blatantly cheating in the pursuit of a competitive edge. Some people, including a few current members of the Philadelphia Eagles, are even questioning whether the Pats' three Super Bowl victories in the previous six seasons are tainted by this behavior.

ADVERTISEMENT

It's a public relations nightmare for an organization that has been mostly classy and commendable in creating the 21st century's first mini-dynasty, but focusing on the potential advantage New England gained from the stolen signals is missing the point.

The people who've truly been cheated are those in the Patriots' organization – and their counterparts among the Mangini-coached Jets – who've been subjected to this consuming and unbecoming sandbox fight between two shrewd yet self-absorbed coaches.

If you don't think Sunday's bust was a setup (granted, a well-deserved one), you're not looking closely enough. Belichick ordered an employee to engage in a practice that Mangini knew all about, as it had been commonplace during his time as Belichick's defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach in New England. Anyone with a brain, let alone a brainiac like Belichick, would realize that videotaping an opponent's coaches in that particular context was a disaster waiting to happen. Arrogantly and blatantly, Belichick did it anyway, operating under the Clintonesque rationale that because he wasn't breaking down opposing coaches' signals until after the completion of the game in question, he wasn't violating any rules. I did not view tape from that camera (until later, when I used it for future signal-stealing reference.) So Slick Billy was there for the taking, and Mangini took down his former mentor, and hard, while watching his team suffer a 38-14 defeat.

Lest you think this was some random occurrence, consider the incestuous connections between the two organizations:

• The Jets' video director, Steve Scarnecchia, formerly worked for the Patriots' video department. Sources say he once had the same duties that landed Estrella in spilled water last Sunday and that Scarnecchia was the one who trained Estrella to clandestinely compile the verboten footage in the first place. Oh, and Scarnecchia's father, Dante, is New England's longtime offensive line coach and has been Belichick's assistant head coach since 2000. Theirs should be a whale of a Thanksgiving dinner.

• Another Jets employee, coordinator of college scouting Jay Mandolesi, was an intern in the Patriots' video department in 2002 and '03. Sources say he was fired after a dispute with then offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, possibly over similar video subterfuge.

• Tannenbaum and his Patriots counterpart, vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, were once close friends, having previously worked together in Cleveland and with the Jets. Their relationship is now frayed.

How did all of this happen? How did Belichick, probably the greatest defensive strategist of his era and a future Hall of Fame coach, allow one of his prodigies to distract him from the task at hand and make him look like a fool?

It goes back to the end of the 2005 season, when the Jets were courting Mangini as a replacement for departed coach Herm Edwards. Belichick, who as the Browns' head coach in '95 had given his fellow Wesleyan alum an assistant's job after having noticed Mangini's work as a public relations intern, had a deep-seated disdain for the Jets' organization dating back to his infamous one-day stint as New York's head coach following Bill Parcells's resignation in January of 2000.

Go be a head coach anywhere but there, Belichick told his then-34-year-old defensive coordinator. There'll be other opportunities, and I'll help you get them, Belichick insisted. Just don't take this one.

Mangini took the job anyway, and Belichick felt betrayed. When Belichick learned that Mangini, while still serving out his final days with the Patriots, was soliciting Pats coaches, support staff members and players to join him at his new gig, the war was on. Belichick had Mangini's key card access revoked, but not before Mangini, a source says, took a laptop with confidential files stored in its hard drive out of the building. Mangini hired a Pats employee, Erin O'Brien, as his administrative assistant.

"He did exactly what Bill would do in the same situation," says one high-ranking league source who knows both men. "Bill raised him too well."

Whereas Belichick remained on good terms with ex-assistants Romeo Crennel, who took the Cleveland job, and Nick Saban, who went to the division rival Dolphins, Mangini was persona non grata the second he went to the dreaded Jets. Worse, the Patriots believed, star wideout Deion Branch felt empowered to hold out before the 2006 season because he'd been told by Mangini that the Jets sought his services at the price he desired.

Last August, when the Patriots gave Branch a week to negotiate with other teams in pursuit of a possible trade, the Jets were one of two franchises, along with the Seahawks, who made big-money offers. Branch was ultimately traded to Seattle, and the Patriots filed tampering charges against the Jets, who were later cleared by the league of wrongdoing.

The bad blood between Belichick and Mangini was evident after each of the two teams' regular season meetings in '06. First, following a 24-17 Pats victory at Giants Stadium, Belichick refused to look at Mangini during their brief handshake at midfield. Two months later, after the Jets pulled off a 17-14 upset at Gillette Stadium, Belichick tried a similar tack before Mangini grabbed his arm and gloated, "Great job!"

In January, after the Pats eliminated the Jets from the playoffs by a 37-16 score, Belichick shoved a photographer out of the way to get to Mangini and gave his former assistant what appeared to be a showboating, insincere hug.

After the season Mangini hired Brian Daboll, the Pats' wide receivers coach the previous five seasons, as his quarterbacks coach, compelling Belichick's staff to change much of its terminology over the offseason.

The gamesmanship continued before the start of the '07 season when Mangini brought in two players, wideout Reche Caldwell and cornerback Artrell Hawkins, who'd just been released by New England, a move some believed was little more than a ploy to pick the players' brains about the upcoming opponent's plays and terminology. The Pats countered by bringing in wideout Tim Dwight, who'd just been released by the Jets.

What went down on Sunday, of course, escalated this hissing match to a much darker place. Now that Mangini has made him the object of national embarrassment – and taken a $500,000 chunk out of his bank account – how should Belichick retaliate?

Here's how: Stop the madness. Take the high road. Start focusing on what he does best – coming up with brilliant game plans, picking the best players for his system and motivating them to perform at the highest level – and let go of a grudge that is totally beneath a coach of his stature.

When I hear about Mangini's paranoia, the secrecy over injuries, the threats of fining players whom he suspects of having given anonymous quotes or whose agents comment publicly about their clients' ailments, I think, "What a bunch of wasted energy." But I also can somewhat forgive him: He's young, and he thinks that by emulating Belichick in these ways he'll be destined for the same kind of towering success. Or perhaps he just got caught up in his "Mangenius" nickname and the guest turn on The Sopranos. Whatever: He's 36, and hopefully he'll grow up in the years to come.

Belichick is 55, and even though he's smarter than a fifth grader, he's acting like one. I've been a fan of his work from way, way back, through the post-Browns days when he was considered a classic head coaching washout, and despite his media-repellent ways we've had a good relationship for a long time. I want to see him enjoy the fruits of his labor and the legacy he has earned through hard work and exceptional acumen; I don't want to see him pushing photographers or revoking key cards or, worst of all, getting popped for cheating because he seemingly believed he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, no matter who was watching.

Well, Little Brother was watching, and now he's laughing at Belichick because he's gotten so far under his skin.

Belichick may think it was the height of hypocrisy, not to mention an ungrateful maneuver by a guy who owes him a career, and he might be right. It doesn't matter.

As a very smart coach has often said, it is what it is.

And now, gentlemen, it's time to let it go.

TAKE IT TO THE ATM:

K-State Spur
09-14-2007, 10:39 PM
This Colts team is better than last year's

Highly doubtful there. It's going to take more than 1 week of beating a team that was primed to come back down to earth to prove that.

vander
09-14-2007, 10:54 PM
I wish Stern was the Commissioner of the NFL too, then they might have gotten a real penalty like what Minnesota got for the joe smith thing, 4 first rounders would have been a real punishment.

vander
09-14-2007, 11:01 PM
You're right, you're only cheating if you get caught. Texas has never paid a football player to play there. Only SMU has done that. Fuckin cheaters.

so, since someone somewhere at some time cheated and got away with it, everyone is now cheating, most just haven't been caught?

since your team has been proven guilty, now every team is guilty until proven innocent?

:spin

samikeyp
09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
So Wade Wilson gets 5 games because he took some stuff to get him a boner, but Belicheat gets busted for CHEATING and only get a fine?

Apparently Goodell and Bob Kraft are tight.

I'm still not sure how an assistant coach taking HGH is a competitive advantage. It is illegal and should be punished for breaking the rules, but 5 games? and Belichik gets a fine that will probably get paid for him anyway?

That's fucked up.

K-State Spur
09-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm still not sure how an assistant coach taking HGH is a competitive advantage. It is illegal and should be punished for breaking the rules, but 5 games? and Belichik gets a fine that will probably get paid for him anyway?

I doubt it was viewed as a competitive advantage, but it was punished as a substance abuse issue.

J.T.
09-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Highly doubtful there. It's going to take more than 1 week of beating a team that was primed to come back down to earth to prove that.

I like how the Patriots beat a bad team and everyone is all over their jock. The Colts beat a good team and still have to prove themselves. Fucking awesome. :tu

Newsflash...it's still Week 2 for everyone. Let's see how the Patriots play against a real team (such as their opponent this week) before we start booking their flights to Arizona.

dickface
09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm still not sure how an assistant coach taking HGH is a competitive advantage
If an assistant coach is getting HGH, common sense tells you that he very well could be supplying players with it.

monosylab1k
09-14-2007, 11:40 PM
so, since someone somewhere at some time cheated and got away with it, everyone is now cheating, most just haven't been caught?

since your team has been proven guilty, now every team is guilty until proven innocent?
yes. this isn't a court of law. it's just common fucking sense. why would coaches cover their mouths when they talk unless they knew somebody was trying to read their lips?

Whisky Dog
09-15-2007, 07:20 AM
If an assistant coach is getting HGH, common sense tells you that he very well could be supplying players with it.

That's why you investigate (as the NFL did) and when that investigation tell you that he was getting it for personal use (as the investigation did), then you give him a small fine and a 1 games suspension. Not the abberation that he got. When you use deductive reasoning and actually apply investigation techniques that have been around for thousands of years (nothing new), then you don't have to take guesses and lay down some harsh ass punishment about shit that you don't know. Common sense would tell that to you.

samikeyp
09-15-2007, 08:32 AM

I agree with that and if there was evidence to that, then I would have no problem with the punishment. However, there has been no proof of that and its not right to impose a suspension like that on the possibility that he might have done that.

dickface
09-15-2007, 08:39 AM
That's why you investigate (as the NFL did) and when that investigation tell you that he was getting it for personal use (as the investigation did), then you give him a small fine and a 1 games suspension. Not the abberation that he got. When you use deductive reasoning and actually apply investigation techniques that have been around for thousands of years (nothing new), then you don't have to take guesses and lay down some harsh ass punishment about shit that you don't know. Common sense would tell that to you.
Reading ESPN once in a while would tell you that no "investigation" like that ever happened. Wilson was the one telling the media of his diabetes and impotence. The NFL simply found out about the HGH and suspended him accordingly.

leemajors
09-15-2007, 08:43 AM
i think Wilson was immediately forthcoming with his receipts and finances in an attempt to show he was using them only for himself. he cooperated fully. now that doesn't mean a whole lot if you want to be cynical, but at least he wasn't trying to hide anything.

leemajors
09-15-2007, 08:45 AM
The difference between 2006 Mav Fan is that he thought 67 wins equals trophy.... kind of like how Patsy fans think signing some big names equals trophy... hmmmmm. This Colts team is better than last year's, don't see why it's impossible to think they would beat the Pats again. Don't know where you got that idea buddy.
it's quite simple - mav fan thought they were over the hump because they finally beat the spurs. colts fan thinks they will never lose to the pats again because they finally beat them. you do the math.

samikeyp
09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
The NFL simply found out about the HGH and suspended him accordingly.

If the NFL did that without investigating, that is even worse.

dickface
09-15-2007, 08:53 AM
You can't be in the NFL and take HGH. Period. End of story.

samikeyp
09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Agreed but the punishment has to fit the crime. I just don't think it did in this case.

K-State Spur
09-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I like how the Patriots beat a bad team and everyone is all over their jock. The Colts beat a good team and still have to prove themselves. Fucking awesome. :tu

Newsflash...it's still Week 2 for everyone. Let's see how the Patriots play against a real team (such as their opponent this week) before we start booking their flights to Arizona.

I'm not all over the Patriots jock either. But as you said - IT'S WEEK 2. For all you know, that "good team" that the Colts beat is a 7-9 or 8-8 team (probably not because the Saints' division is pathetic).

Whisky Dog
09-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Reading ESPN once in a while would tell you that no "investigation" like that ever happened. Wilson was the one telling the media of his diabetes and impotence. The NFL simply found out about the HGH and suspended him accordingly.

Well then the NFL really fucked up. You have to investigate that shit before going off. If I was Wilson I'd think about appealing the suspension and fine on that fact.

Whisky Dog
09-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Espn Sucks

Whisky Dog
09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
You can't be in the NFL and take HGH. Period. End of story.

But why was he fined 1/3 of his yearly salary for using HGH himself with no evidence of distribution and Belichick was only fined 12% of his yearly salary for actually cheating the game? That's bullshit.

J.T.
09-15-2007, 12:06 PM
it's quite simple - mav fan thought they were over the hump because they finally beat the spurs. colts fan thinks they will never lose to the pats again because they finally beat them. you do the math.

Colts have a 3 game streak against the Pats right now, but I'll bet you didn't know that.

Whisky Dog
09-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Colts have a 3 game streak against the Pats right now, but I'll bet you didn't know that.

But only one in the playoffs when it counts.

monosylab1k
09-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah but it's not like they've owned the Patriots. 1 win the Patriots were decimated with injuries, second one the Patriots would have taken it to overtime if Kevin Faulk can hold onto a fucking pass, and the last one if Troy Brown runs the right fucking route then the Patriots get the first down and can run out the clock.

No excuses, Colts won and deserved to do so, but the Colts aren't exactly owning the Patriots the way the Patriots used to absolutely own the Colts.

IceColdBrewski
09-15-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...icleid=1031649

For Bill Belichick to escape Camera-gate without a suspension wasn't sitting well with rival organizations yesterday, particularly since Belichick's decision to use a camera on the sidelines flouted the rules and compromised the integrity of the game. "They fined him the maximum allowed, so certainly no one has a problem with that," one league insider said. "And they had to penalize the organization just to send the message that if a coach does this, everyone will be held accountable. But a suspension should have been the starting point, and right now there are some very angry people around the league."

O-Factor
09-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah but it's not like they've owned the Patriots. 1 win the Patriots were decimated with injuries, second one the Patriots would have taken it to overtime if Kevin Faulk can hold onto a fucking pass, and the last one if Troy Brown runs the right fucking route then the Patriots get the first down and can run out the clock.

No excuses, Colts won and deserved to do so, but the Colts aren't exactly owning the Patriots the way the Patriots used to absolutely own the Colts.

Every losing team in every single NFL game played can always use the what if excuse. Don't spew that. Colts have beaten the Pats the last three games. Period. Owned.

leemajors
09-15-2007, 08:55 PM
i don't give a shit, they have beat them once in the playoffs. didn't the cavs sweep the reg season series from the spurs?

dirk4mvp
09-15-2007, 09:01 PM
i don't give a shit, they have beat them once in the playoffs. didn't the cavs sweep the reg season series from the spurs?

But the cavs didn't beat the spurs in the postseason, the Colts did beat the pats in the postseason. What's your point ?

leemajors
09-15-2007, 09:36 PM
But the cavs didn't beat the spurs in the postseason, the Colts did beat the pats in the postseason. What's your point ?
it's nowhere near a given that the colts beat the patties in the postseason because they are 3-0 recently, with one postseason win. thick head fratty can't realize this.

monosylab1k
09-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Every losing team in every single NFL game played can always use the what if excuse.
There's a difference between dominating one of the league's most potent offenses of all time and holding them to 3 points in one playoff game & picking off the league MVP 4 times in another, and just barely squeaking by because one player ran the wrong route on a 3rd down that would have sealed the game in last years AFC title game. Do you not fucking get that?

Dirk Nowitzki
09-16-2007, 03:53 PM
There's a difference between dominating one of the league's most potent offenses of all time and holding them to 3 points in one playoff game & picking off the league MVP 4 times in another, and just barely squeaking by because one player ran the wrong route on a 3rd down that would have sealed the game in last years AFC title game. Do you not fucking get that?

Well in O-Factor's defense, the Patriots were fortunate to even be in the afc title game last season. Then what happened to the chargers kinda happened to the Pats the next week. It happens. That is part of the NFL game. New season now. :)