PDA

View Full Version : T. Glenn could be back by mid season

BeerIsGood!
09-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Season Not Lost (http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=012B3E35-BF81-7005-760D3362ECDD44C6)
Despite Knee Surgery, Glenn Looking To Play This Year

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
September 13, 2007 6:18 PM

IRVING, Texas - At the end of the day, Terry Glenn chose to play football.

And not just play, but play this season.

Despite speculation last week that Glenn could be out for the entire season, the Cowboys wide receiver opted for arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Thursday which could allow him to return to the field this year, possibly around mid-season.

Glenn had a scope Aug. 1 to remove a cyst from the back of his right kneecap but suffered cartilage damage on Sept. 5, his first full practice with the team, in an unrelated injury. He went to Dr. Christopher Kaeding at Ohio State Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio, for a second opinion.

Cowboys team spokesman Rich Dalrymple said Glenn went back to his former school and visited Dr. Kaeding, OSU's team orthopedic surgeon since 1991, with the intention of "doing whatever was needed" to play again this season.

Glenn also had the option of undergoing microfracture surgery that stimulates re-growth of the cartilage, which would end his season but possibly jeopardize his playing career considering the 12th-year veteran just turned 33 in July. Instead he chose to have the damaged cartilage removed, which gives him a chance to return in 2007.

"Terry really wants to play this season," Dalrymple said. "And this was a procedure that allows Terry to play this year."

And for that, head coach Wade Phillips said he applauded Glenn's unselfishness and his willingness to remain a part of the team this year.

"Some players certainly would've said, 'My season is through,'" Phillips said in Thursday's press conference. "For him to say, 'I'm going to try everything I can to be a part of this team,' I think tells you what kind of person he is."

The Cowboys don't have a timetable for Glenn's return, though it could be close to the middle of the season.

"I don't have any feel for it how long it could be," Phillips said. "But we're certainly going to save a spot for him."

And that won't be too difficult, considering the Cowboys have to list eight players inactive for every game. Phillips said regardless if Glenn was healthy or not, the Cowboys would have at least one, possibly two, receivers not dress for the game. Last week, both Glenn and rookie Isaiah Stanback were not active against the Giants.

Since Glenn only practiced the first week of training camp, and then one day last week, the Cowboys have had to move on without him. The offense still managed to rack up 478 yards and score 45 points in last Sunday's season opener against the Giants.

But even though Terrell Owens and Jason Witten picked up the slack, and backups Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd were also effective, that doesn't mean Glenn hasn't been or won't be missed.

Glenn is coming off consecutive 1,000-yard seasons after catching 70 passes for 1,047 yards last season. In fact, Glenn and Owens became the first Cowboys' duo of receivers to surpass 1,000 yards in a season since 1979.

Since joining the Cowboys in 2003, Glenn has 3,337 receiving yards and 20 touchdowns.

"You can't replace a guy like Terry Glenn," quarterback Tony Romo said this week. "But we've got some guys that can fill in and get the job done. But (Glenn) is so fast and he can do so many things down the field for you. We're hoping he can still come back."

And after Glenn's procedure on Thursday, the Cowboys are still hopeful for his return. There are no guarantees that he will make a full recovery or not suffer another setback when he returns. The arthroscopic procedure is a short-term solution, and wear and tear could cause long-term problems for his knee.

But at least now, there is a chance he can play this year. And with the microfracture surgery, there was none.

The Cowboys are certainly familiar with that procedure here in the last few years. Former center Al Johnson, a 2003 second-round draft pick, had the surgery his rookie season and came back to play the last three years before signing with Arizona. Former linebacker Kevin Hardy had the surgery the off-season before joining the Cowboys in 2002. He played the one year in Dallas and then went to Cincinnati for two years but wasn't the same player he was in Jacksonville before the injury.

And recently, notable NBA players have undergone microfracture surgery, including No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden on Thursday. Oden, the top pick by the Portland Trail Blazers who is considered one of the NBA's next great players, reportedly is likely to miss his rookie season.

NBA All-Star Amare Stoudemire also had the surgery in October of 2005 and missed nearly all of that basketball season. He returned in March for one game, but then missed the remainder of the season and playoffs. Stoudemire, who doesn't turn 25 until November, did return to All-Star form last year for Phoenix Suns, playing in all 92 games.

In Glenn's case, he decided he wanted to forgo microfracture surgery for a chance to play this year.

"It was an option, but an option that would've put him out for the season," Dalrymple added. "This gives him a chance to play. And Terry wants to contribute."

And that part is now evident. If everything goes according to plan, that could become a reality. Something that seemed rather unlikely a week ago.

fyatuk
09-14-2007, 07:39 AM
You have to figure that in the next couple weeks they'll try to work Stanback into the rotation. Right now he's the best potential deep threat they have. Given his situation, he's not likely to be in a lot of plays, but it won't surprise me to see Austin and Stanback flipped until Glenn gets back.

BacktoBasics
09-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I would rather see the two TEs and a dose of Hurd than a very very raw Stanback.

leemajors
09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I would rather see the two TEs and a dose of Hurd than a very very raw Stanback.
i wouldn't mind him getting a few snaps if we have a good lead. if he shows promise, they can work him in a bit more.

O-Factor
09-14-2007, 09:41 AM

:toast