PDA

View Full Version : Udrih could sub for hurt Parker, who shined in his first start

Kori Ellis
12-15-2004, 02:22 AM
Rookie has a role model: Udrih could sub for hurt Parker, who shined in his first start
Web Posted: 12/15/2004 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121504.1C.BKNspurs.magic.adv.a1e5c99.html

It was just five games into Tony Parker's rookie season with the Spurs in 2001-02 before coach Gregg Popovich moved him into the starting lineup, and he has been there ever since.

The Spurs went into that season without a true point guard. Antonio Daniels was a point guard-big guard combination who started the first five games, but Popovich saw in Parker a true point guard who could run his offense. That made moving him into the lineup what Popovich likes to call a "no-brainer."

Tonight at the SBC Center, just 23 games into his Spurs career, Beno Udrih could start against the Orlando Magic, though for a much different reason.

There is nothing wrong with Parker's play, but he strained his left groin late in Saturday's victory over Cleveland, hasn't practiced since and is listed as questionable for tonight. He took part in some shooting drills Tuesday, but officials said there had been no upgrade in his status.

Udrih will start if Parker can't go, and Popovich can only hope this season's first-round draft pick has the same kind of experience Parker did in his first start. Against the Magic on Nov.12, 2001, Parker had 12 points, four assists and three rebounds in 32 minutes of a 104-89 victory.

Udrih declared himself ready to start tonight, if need be, but has no illusions about his role this season. He was the 28th pick in the first round of the draft in July, not a high lottery selection, and he knew he was coming to a team with an established point guard who had signed a six-year, $66 million contract before the season.

"You know I came here like a backup point guard," said Udrih, 22. "I'm not really thinking about if I'm going to start, or whatever. I've just got to do what Pop is trying to get out of me in the game, like a starter. I'll do my best."

Though the Spurs signed free agent Brent Barry, a shooting guard with point-guard skills, Popovich pronounced that Udrih would be the club's backup point guard before training camp began.

Udrih, a Slovenian who played last season in Russia and Italy, hasn't disappointed.

Most impressive has been his 3-point shooting. Udrih has made 14 of 30 from beyond the arc, a percentage of 46.7 that would rank as sixth-best in the league, if he had enough shots to qualify for the list of leaders. His averages of 5.5 points and 1.4 assists are solid for a player getting only 13.2 minutes per game behind Parker.

"I really don't like to talk about myself," he said, "but I can make sure I give every game what is in my power to give, and every practice I go hard. I can feel I am getting stronger, because we are lifting (weights) and I am getting used to the NBA rules and that kind of thing, so I'm happy."

Popovich's primary worry about Udrih is whether he is strong enough to handle some of the NBA's more powerful point guards. If he does fill in for Parker in tonight's lineup, he will go against one of the strongest in Steve Francis.

"I think basketball is not one-on-one defense or offense," Udrih said. "It is team basketball. We will figure out how we are going to play him on the pick and rolls, and I will just try to do my job."

Experiment2100
12-15-2004, 02:35 AM
I hope that this gives Barry more PT and a chance to get out of his slump.

Dex
12-15-2004, 03:09 AM
"I think basketball is not one-on-one defense or offense," Udrih said. "It is team basketball. We will figure out how we are going to play him on the pick and rolls, and I will just try to do my job."

Looks like Popovich got his brainwashing done early with this one. :lol

ata
12-15-2004, 03:48 AM
Looks like Popovich got his brainwashing done early with this one. :lol

Well, that is the way basketball is played in Europe (team first), no need for brainwashing there.

Mr. Body
12-15-2004, 09:00 AM
I agree on the point above: this will give Barry more time, I hope, which can only be a good thing down the road.

Slo spurs fan
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Well, that is the way basketball is played in Europe (team first), no need for brainwashing there.
Agreed!

tlongII
12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I wonder if this will signal a line-up change for the Spurs? From what I've seen, Udrih has been playing better than Parker.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
I wonder if this will signal a line-up change for the Spurs? From what I've seen, Udrih has been playing better than Parker.

You haven't been watching very closely of late, then, have you? Parker's numbers over his last 10 and last 5 games are back to his expected level; Beno has been inconsistent at best, with occasional flashes, but he looked overmatched against Detroit and Seattle and was pretty ineffective in both games.

Last 10: 14.4 ppg, 49.6% FG, 44.4% 3Pt, 2.7 rpg, 5.8 apg
Last 5: 13.8 ppg, 47.2% FG, 50.0% 3Pt, 2.8 rpg, 7.8 apg

and then there's this: when Udrih is pulling down $66 million over 6 years, I'd guess Pop would consider a lineup change.

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Beno>TP as a true PG IMO.

Mr. Body
12-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Parker is the starter. He's the engine for this team. It is tremendously frustrating to see people suggest Udrih should start over him if both were healthy. Yes, Udrih is a better passer, but at this point Parker is a far superior player in all facets of the game.

What's more frustrating is comments like that force me to compare the two, and they should be compared at this point in their careers - one is a proven starter in this league, the other is a rookie back-up with surprising success in a limited role.

whottt
12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
You haven't been watching very closely of late, then, have you? Parker's numbers over his last 10 and last 5 games are back to his expected level; Beno has been inconsistent at best, with occasional flashes, but he looked overmatched against Detroit and Seattle and was pretty ineffective in both games.

Last 10: 14.4 ppg, 49.6% FG, 44.4% 3Pt, 2.7 rpg, 5.8 apg
Last 5: 13.8 ppg, 47.2% FG, 50.0% 3Pt, 2.8 rpg, 7.8 apg

and then there's this: when Udrih is pulling down $66 million over 6 years, I'd guess Pop would consider a lineup change.

There's that, and with the way Parker has been playing D I think any PG in the league would have a tough time starting ahead of him on Pop's team.

Solid D
12-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Two totally different players. Two changes of pace (a good thing).
*Tony has a jet, Beno is slower, more calculated yet crafty.
*Tony is a one-man fast break, no one necessarily needs to be "open" for the pass. Beno has great vision and gets the ball up the floor to the open man as fast as anyone but is not very fast afoot.
*Tony is an excellent finisher in traffic. Beno needs a little more space to finish but reads defenses well on penetrations.
*Tony a 2-guard PG. He's a good jump shooter but streaky. Beno pass-first PG, excellent jump shooter.
*Tony creates up-tempo pace. Beno supports up-tempo pace.
*Tony can stay in front of quick PGs. Beno needs angles to stay in front of quick PGs and he struggles with that aspect.

Dario
12-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Well beno learned to play in a team that has to play teamplay to survive. His first "major" successes were in a team, which has about 1 mill euro budget. This team plays in euroleage, where teams have 20x or more money on their budget. And this team just defeated last years champion in euroleage. No big superstars, average skills compared to others, nothing more, so they are the proof, that with teamplay you can beat much much better teams. Example is also in lakers-spurs game.