PDA

View Full Version : Thompsons As Smart As A Bag of Bricks

Nbadan
09-14-2007, 02:28 PM
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Freshly minted GOP White House hopeful Fred Thompson puzzled Iowans yesterday by insisting an Al Qaeda smoking ban was one reason freedom-loving Iraqis bolted to the U.S. side.

"They said, 'You gotta quit smoking,'" Thompson explained to a questioner asking about progress in Iraq during a town hall-style meeting.

Thompson said the smoking ban and terror tactics Al Qaeda used to oppress women and intimidate local leaders pushed tribes in western Anbar Province to support U.S. troops.

But Thompson's tale of a smokers' revolt baffled some in the audience of about 150 who came to decide whether the former Tennessee senator is ready for prime time.

"I don't know what that was about," said Jim Moran, 72, who had driven from nearby McCook Lake, S.D.

Iowans, several of whom told the Daily News they were intrigued by Thompson's down-home charm, got their first extended chance to press for details of his broad theme of "common-sense conservatism."

On abortion, Thompson said he would appoint judges in favor of overturning Roe vs. Wade but had reservations about a constitutional amendment banning it.

He also said he'd finish a wall along the Mexican border to stop illegal immigration: "We get to decide who comes into our home."

Thompson said "things are turning around" in Iraq and that troop reductions should not be linked to some "arbitrary time line."

His cue to stop talking came from 4-year-old daughter Hayden, who came on stage with a bow in her hair to tug on Thompson's pants leg - drawing "oohs" from the audience.

Thompson received mixed reviews from several listeners who had reservations about his late entry into the race.

Carol Perrin, 62, a retired schoolteacher, said, "I was impressed. I don't think he's selling us a bill of goods."

But Ralph Hecht, 61, a farmer and Marine Vietnam veteran whose son served two tours in Iraq with the Army, said Thompson's attempts at folksy appeal wouldn't work with him. "For me, it will be the issues stuff," Hecht said.

Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/09/08/2007-09-08_fred_thompson_al_qaeda_smoking_ban_pushe.html)

Fred Thompson, the actor and former Senator widely seen as the Republicans' best hope for keeping the White House, called for a "blockade" of Iran yesterday...The former Senator also suggested a more direct way of strangling Iran's economy. "A blockade would be a possibility if we could get the international cooperation, if in fact we're all reading off the same page and saw the nature of the threat," he said. "That would be one way to ensure that we didn't have to go to the military option." Blockading Iran would technically be an act of war.

clambake
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
you mean we could win their hearts with cartons of cigarettes?

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 06:33 PM
you mean we could win their hearts with cartons of cigarettes?http://cache.boston.com/news/packages/iraq/galleries/032703/03.jpg
It's obvious we didn't use enough during the initial invasion.

clambake
09-14-2007, 06:37 PM
we didn't have enough troops on the ground to distribute them

clambake
09-14-2007, 06:38 PM
you can't say bomb on an airplane!
:lol

exstatic
09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a real problem with a former Senator who got his boxers in a wad about a few after hours Senate votes wanting to be president. We don't need to replace one guy who thought it was a 9-5 job with another.