PDA

View Full Version : DARYL MOREY Rockets GM "it was a bargain trade"

spurscenter
09-14-2007, 02:28 PM
http://hoopsblogging.com/2007/09/14/rockets-gm-daryl-moreys-outlook-for-the-upcoming-season/

A Sina Sports reporter was able to catch up with Daryl Morey, the Houston Rockets GM, at the Charity Gala that was hosted by Yao Ming and Steve Nash in Beijing.

The ironic thing about this interview is that it was done in English before being translated into Chinese for the Sina Sports website. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find the initial transcription, but thanks to pryuen of Clutchfans, I’m able to pass over a double-translated version of the interview.

Normally, I’d just provide a link to the interview and highlight a few key aspects. Since it’s necessary to post the entire interview, I’ll close with a summary of my thoughts. Here’s the interview:

—–

Daryl Morey Sina Sports: Ni Hao (Chinese greeting….like Good Day, or How Are You?), Mr. Morey. We’re sort of surprised to see you here tonight at this Charity Gala. When did you arrive into China?

Morey: I just arrived into China yesterday. (Like a lot of us), I also received Yao Ming’s and Bill Duffy’s (the renowned NBA agent) invitation to participate in this activity. But my stopover in China this time will be very short, and I will have to return to US right after tomorrow’s charity game.

Sina Sports: What is your feeling about participating in such charitable activities? Will you consider bidding in tonight’s auction?

Morey: I felt much honored to be able to attend such charity activity. I knew Yao Ming is always a noble person who enjoys doing charitable things. He had already participated in many such charitable activities in the past, and had also filmed some advertisement for charity and public services. (As to myself), I’m not good in auctioning. Even though I am very much interested to own some of these articles that are put onto auction, I’m afraid I have not brought sufficient money to buy them. HA HA HA….

Sina Sports: You have just taken over as the General Manager of the Houston Rockets this summer. Tell us something about your view of the Rockets.

Morey: Even though I just took over as the General Manager, actually I had started as Carroll Dawson’s assistant last season and handled Rockets business matters; therefore (I believe) I had acquired certain understanding about this team. Without a doubt, Yao Ming is the most important member of this team; he is an extremely outstanding player, and he is the cornerstone and foundation of our team’s future progress.

Sina Sports: You have made a lot of personnel changes over this off-season. What were your considerations?

Morey: Yes, indeed we made some very big upheavals of personnel in this summer: we have changed our head coach; we recalled Steve Francis; we acquired Luis Scola; but we also retained good players like Bonzi Wells and Chuck Hayes. The reason we were doing all that is simple; we hope we can change to become much more stronger. I really think with the addition of all these new players, together with our 2 core star players in Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, our team’s overall strength will be improved by leaps and bounds.

Sina Sports: Mentioning about a new head coach, do you think, under Rick Adelman’s systems and coaching, will there be a difference in how Yao Ming will be deployed?

Morey: I don’t think so. Yao Ming is the core and anchor of our offense and defense. I was constructing this whole team revolving around him. Even though Rick Adelman’s coaching ideologies and methods are different to those of Jeff Van Gundy, I don’t think it will affect and reduce Yao Ming’s role and function. On the contrary, I think Yao Ming will have more room and space to grow and develop.

Sina Sports: Luis Scola has already become famous now in China. On one hand he has just been awarded MVP in the FIBA Americas Championship, but most importantly, he has joined the Rockets (and become Yao Ming’s team mate); so suddenly his popularity had risen dramatically here in China. It seemed like you had a great transaction/trade done with San Antonio Spurs using Vassilis Spanoulis as a bait for exchange of this Argentine.

Morey: HA HA HA, if purely judged from present situation, it is rightly so (that it was a bargain trade). Luis Scola’s performance in the FIBA Americas Championship was really exciting. Well, actually when we spotted him, we did take into the consideration of his immense potentials; or otherwise, it will not be that easy for us to carry out player transaction with teams within our own division. Let’s hope he can bring over that kind of performance that he displayed in international basketball onto NBA courts. I believe he can become a very important member of our team.

Sina Sports: So after all these series of transformations, do you think, in terms of overall team strength, the Houston Rockets has already caught up with teams like San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks?

Morey: Yes, with our current players, we are already no longer weak when compared with other teams in the Western Conference. Of course, teams like San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns, and even the Utah Jazz, will still be considered hot favorite contenders to win the championship; compared to us, they have much more experience. Whether we have really reached their level and standard of play, well, we have to find it out on the court.

Sina Sports: Then, where do you think is the current weakling in the Rockets?

Morey: Relatively speaking, there are still some disparity in our Position 1 and Position 2 when compared with those apex teams in the league. Like the star of tonight’s Charity Gala, Steve Nash; he is a player that we long to sign but not even in our fantasy/dream. I must send him my regards and respect. He is definitely one of the top and best point guards in this league. Of course, players like Deron Williams and Tony Parker are basically the key to the successes of Utah Jazz and San Antonio Spurs.

Sina Sports: What is the goal for the Houston Rockets in the new season?

Morey: Our goal is definitely we want to advance further deep into the playoff, and simultaneously we can help Yao Ming to advance further into the playoff. We surely hope and crave for the NBA Championship, but you know we have to take it step by step on our road to Championship. I knew the Houston Rockets had a massive fan base here in China. They are the motivational forces to press us forward, but at the same time, I do start to feel the tremendous responsibility and pressure on my shoulder. I hope the Rockets fans here in China can always support us, and in return, we will repay them with our good performance and results.

Sina Sports: Thank you very much, Mr. Morey. Hope this trip of yours in China will be smooth and fruitful. Also wish the Houston Rockets will get ideal results in the new season.

Morey: Also thank you for the care and attention to the Houston Rockets, and I hope you will continue to support us.

—–

While many people are excited to hear that Yao will still be the focal point for the Rockets, there was never really any doubt. Sure, Rick Adelman runs a different system that what Jeff Van Gundy was doing with the team, but there’s no way a coach of Adelman’s stature would pass up an opportunity to utilize the best center in the league.

It also appears as though Luis Scola will have the opportunity to be a very significant part of this team’s success.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Hooray! Another Scola thread!

Viva Scola threads!

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Viva Scola threads!

Don´t like it, don´t post on it.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Morey: HA HA HA

E20
09-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Viva Scola threads!
This is not a Scola thread.

Findog
09-14-2007, 02:52 PM
This will probably run about 10 pages and when it's done Scola's dick will be raw and chafed.

SenorSpur
09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
It's wonderful of the Spurs to contribute "drippings" to the "Little Sisters of the Poor"

Indazone
09-14-2007, 02:59 PM
lol if it wasn't a Scola thread it is now.

mavs>spurs2
09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola scola

Reggie Miller
09-14-2007, 03:02 PM
This will probably run about 10 pages and when it's done Scola's dick will be raw and chafed.

More importantly, how will the surrounding five square miles suffer?

Most new Spurs take about a year to gel with the team and learn the defensive system. Most foreign players take about a year to get used to the NBA. Put the two together, and a player may not be very productuve for the Spurs for at least a year. (Oberto somewhat fits this description.) Scola was never going to be an impact player for the Spurs in 2007-2008, even assuming he could be a legitimate starter for an NBA team.

For the last time, you can't keep or sign everyone that has slightly above average NBA talent or better. It just can't be done, even with the soft cap. Would I have liked for him to try to make it with SA instead? Hell yes, but this Scola idolatry is getting kind of creepy.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Sina Sports: Luis Scola has already become famous now in China. On one hand he has just been awarded MVP in the FIBA Americas Championship, but most importantly, he has joined the Rockets (and become Yao Ming’s team mate); so suddenly his popularity had risen dramatically here in China. It seemed like you had a great transaction/trade done with San Antonio Spurs using Vassilis Spanoulis as a bait for exchange of this Argentine.

Nah,It´s not a Scola thread at all.

spurscenter
09-14-2007, 03:07 PM
hahaa, you guys are funny

E20
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Nah,It´s not a Scola thread at all.
This is a thread about the Rockets GM doing an interview, just because Scola is mentioned doesn't make it a Scola thread. Yao Ming was mentioned too, so by using your logic this is a Yao Ming thread.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
This is a thread about the Rockets GM doing an interview, just because Scola is mentioned doesn't make it a Scola thread. Yao Ming was mentioned too, so by using your logic this is a Yao Ming thread.

Ok, It´s a Rockets thread though.
Scola=Rocket´s player .

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
What was bolded, angry poster?

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:18 PM

I can´t believe you´re still posting in another Scola/Rockets thread.
I wouldn't be sorprise if by the end of the season you become Scola's #1 fan. :lol

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I can´t believe you´re still posting in another Scola/Rockets thread.
I wouldn't be sorprise if by the end of the season you become Scola's #1 fan. :lolI wasn't talking to you, you racist piece of shit.

If I was talking to you I would have said "What part was bolded, racist piece of shit poster?"
:fro :madrun :king :elephant :rolleyes

E20
09-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Okay so I'll just re-post the same article and bold up Yao Ming's name. Wow.............just because a clause or paragraph is outlined does not serve as an indication that this whole interview is about Scola. It's not.

THE END>+FJPIFOSOGNIUJIGKGBIGBNKSGL

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Okay so I'll just re-post the same article and bold up Yao Ming's name. Wow.............just because a clause or paragraph is outlined does not serve as an indication that this whole interview is about Scola. It's not.The intent of the thread starter is clear.

ArgSpursFan
I wasn't talking to you yo racist piece of shit.

If I was talking to you I would have said "What part was bolded, racist piece of shit poster?"
:fro :madrun :king :elephant :rolleyes

I just enjoy it messing with you............................................... .....Scola's #1 fan.

E20
That's like saying if I posted an OBL interview and I highlighted a part that said America is great (sarcastic sense), that thread would be dedicated to the greatness of America? That is not how we do things around here.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I just enjoy it messing with you............................................... .....Scola's #1 fan.Racist piece of shit.
:blah :lol :clap :cooldevil :downspin:

ArgSpursFan
The intent of the thread starter is clear.

and you love it,that´s why you´re still posting here.

E20
The intent of the thread starter is clear.
How? Maybe he just accidently bolded those parts about the Scola trade.

Link?

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
That's like saying if I posted an OBL interview and I highlighted a part that said America is great (sarcastic sense), that thread would be dedicated to the greatness of America? That is not how we do things around here.Is the thread title "Osama: "America is great"?

This is obviously a Scola thread. Don't be dense.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Racist piece of shit.
:blah :lol :clap :cooldevil :downspin:

me??
I don´t support my goverment to bild a wall in the Argentinian borders,how about you in the US border?

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
How? Maybe he just accidently bolded those parts about the Scola trade.Yes, and he accidentally typed in the thread title.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
. Don't be dense.

Look who's talking.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:26 PM
me??
I don´t support my goverment to bild a wall in the Argentinian borders,how about you in the US border?Who wants to go into Argentina? :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :fro

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-14-2007, 03:26 PM
It's an interesting idea that the bolded portion brings up. Getting rid of Scola was obstensibly a salary dump. But now that he well known in China thanks to the FIBA MVP award, that's about a billion jerseys that will be sold that could have been Spurs merchandise. You have to spend money to make money Peter.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Who wants to go into Argentina? :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :fro
Surviving Nazis.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
But now that he well known in China thanks to the FIBA MVP award, that's about a billion jerseys that will be sold that could have been Spurs merchandise.What Chinese players are on the Spurs that would allow such a crossover?

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Surviving Nazis.But those guys were welcomed with open arms. No need for a wall.

Solid D
09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
It was no less of a bargain before Scola played in the FIBA Americas tournament. He was just as good prior to winning Most Valuable Non-USA player as he was prior to the tournament (oops, did I just say Non-USA player out loud? Sorry). The Spurs Goodwill Tour motors on.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
What Chinese players are on the Spurs that would allow such a crossover?
You clearly underestimate the power of the FIBA MVP award has on people. It certainly kicked the Luis Lovefest into overdrive here. Imagine what it would do for China.

E20
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Chump you just don't get it, look at the facts.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Who wants to go into Argentina?

your mom actually enjoys it here. :fro

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:38 PM
You clearly underestimate the power of the FIBA MVP award has on people. It certainly kicked the Luis Lovefest into overdrive here. Imagine what it would do for China.I can't tell when the Scola hyperbole is in jest anymore.

Such is the power of the Scola thread.

Viva Scola thread!

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Surviving Nazis.

really?. look at the Phone directory in the US, and we´ll see who recieved more of them.
they probably didn't tell you the truth,just like the JFK's murder.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:39 PM
your mom actually enjoys it here. :froSo now you're saying you dug up my dead mother's corpse and smuggled it from Texas to Argentina.

What a sick little person.

MoSpur
09-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Its obvious this thread was about Scola. Anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth. People need to get over the fact that Scola was traded. I believe he is a good player and will do well with the Rockets, but enough is enough. The Spurs traded him. Deal with it.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
So now you're saying you dug up my dead mother's corpse and smuggled it from Texas to Argentina.

What a sick little person.

well,She was still alive while getting boned here.

MoSpur
09-14-2007, 03:42 PM
well,She was still alive while getting boned here.

:nope

Solid D
09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
In one-sided deals, Scola for air > Roger Maris for Kent Hadley & Joe DeMaestri > New York City for beads.

Take the people away and the New York City deal goes up in value.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
well,She was still alive while getting boned here.Yes, keep going with the having sex with my dead mother spiel. It's working very well for you.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, keep going with the having sex with my dead mother spiel. It's working very well for you.

just like the border wall is working for you all.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
just like the border wall is working for you all.When did I ever say anything about the US border? Why is this somehow a talking point in a Scola thread?

E20
09-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Chump did not fall for my bait.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Chump did not fall for my bait.I do always laugh when you tell me to face the FACTS though.

E20
09-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I do always laugh when you tell me to face the FACTS though.
Well, I've been trying to use that face the facts thing on a lot of people, but they never bait in as well. I'm hoping for someone to quote me and respond "What facts"

and I respond the ones your mom left me from last night. OHHHHH totally burned.

Demo Dick Marcinko
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
As if the U.S. doesn't get dumped on enough in world public opinion, now we get the thrill of clicking on a thread to see this shit on here.

Maybe some of you interested parties can set up a separate and distinct anti-american, US bashing forum. Now lets get back to basketball.

Great trade for Houston, not so great for the Spurs. Life goes on, the sun will probably come up tomorrow. Deal with it. I'm still a Spurs fan, how 'bout you?

mavs>spurs2
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
me??
I don´t support my goverment to bild a wall in the Argentinian borders,how about you in the US border?

Racism is a hatred for a particular race of people without any particular reason other than the color of their skin.

Wanting to keep out illegal immigrants to promote economic stability is not racist.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Racism is a hatred for a particular race of people without any particular reason other than the color of their skin.

Wanting to keep out illegal immigrants to promote economic stability is not racist.

nope,untill the illegals who are already picking oranges go back to where they came from or retire.
Them, What do you think it´s gonna happen?
are you gonna go pick up oranges under the sun?
Of course not.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 04:58 PM
going back to topic,If Scola is so popular in China and gets half of the chinese votes that Yao gets from there, He´ll probably make it to the ASG. :lol

mavs>spurs2
09-14-2007, 05:05 PM
nope,untill the illegals who are already picking oranges go back to where they came from or retire.
Them, What do you think it´s gonna happen?
are you gonna go pick up oranges under the sun?
Of course not.

You fail to show how keeping mass numbers of illegal immigrants out of the country in order to promote a more stable economy is racist.

There is a legal process Mexican immigrants can go through that allows a controlled amount of them into the country. That sounds about as fair and non racist as it gets. If anyone is to blame, it's their own goverment for not doing something about their shitty economy so that all of their citizens want to come here to make a living.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
You fail to show how keeping mass numbers of illegal immigrants out of the country in order to promote a more stable economy is racist.

I can give you thousands examples of how racist your society is, not just the border wall.
I tell you what:change your name to any muslim name, and when applying for a job, say that you go to muslims rituals every week,and them tell me how many jobs you found,¨in your society¨.Them comeback and talk.

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I can give a couple of example how racist you personally are.

And sick.

And stupid.

Come back and talk when you aren't racist, sick and stupid.

ArgSpursFan
09-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I can give a couple of example how racist you personally are.

And sick.

And stupid.

Come back and talk when you aren't racist, sick and stupid.

your mom didn't think that way though. :fro

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 05:23 PM
your mom didn't think that way though. :froSo you are either into very old and/or very dead women. Congratulations.
:rolleyes :smokin :king :toast :downspin: :nope

ChumpDumper
09-14-2007, 05:26 PM
I do know that my mom wasn't into stupid, sick, racist pieces of shit-- so your bullshit doesn't work.

Cherry
09-14-2007, 05:39 PM
hahaa, you guys are funny

now, China vote for scola (ASG) :lol

que linda avenida! :)

Kori Ellis
09-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Warning to ArgSpursFan - You are IP banned and user name banned. If you choose to re-register under another IP, I will talk to your internet service provider about it.

You aren't welcome here.

Thanks.