PDA

View Full Version : All Time Top College Football Programs

scott
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
And look who is on top :smokin Cue lame Michigan fan in 5... 4... 3... 2...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-09-13-historic-ranking_N.htm

Oklahoma No. 1 in professor's all-time ranking

By Greg Dohmann, USA TODAY
With USC vs. Nebraska and Tennessee vs. Florida highlighting this weekend's games, the USA TODAY Coaches' Poll could look significantly different come Sunday. But regardless how those teams perform this weekend, their spots in one list are safe — for now.
Robert Lemieux, an associate professor in the communications department at McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., has created an historical ranking of the best teams in Division I-A since the inception of the Associated Press poll in 1936. By dividing each team's average positions in the postseason media and coaches polls by the percentage of times it appeared in the polls, Lemieux ranked 94 current I-A teams. Lemieux did not include teams no longer in I-A (now the Football Bowl Subdivision).

Who is No. 1? That honor belongs to Oklahoma, which has been ranked in 68% of the postseason polls with an average position of 7.18. Notre Dame is No. 2, followed by Michigan, which has appeared in 77% of the polls, more than any other team. Alabama and Ohio State round out the top 5.

Although the top of the poll is filled with the usual suspects, a few surprising teams challenged the more established programs. Boise State, which joined I-A in 1996, is listed 20th, aided by recent high rankings. Army and Duke, perennial losers in recent seasons, relied on their success of yesteryear, finishing at Nos. 31 and 34, respectively.

So, what's the point?

"I've always been intrigued by the arguments people make," Lemieux said. "The best this or the best that. They talk about national championship, conference championships, Heismans …"

Lemieux wanted a simple way to quantify the argument, trying to avoid going the route of the complicated BCS rankings. After consulting with colleagues and statisticians, Lemieux landed on his two-variable formula.

"There were a variety of ways you could have analyzed it," Lemieux said. "I was trying to keep it so the average fan could understand it. I know it's imperfect, but that's the beauty of college football."

Marklar MM
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
So he takes postseason poll appearances divided by number of appearances in the polls. Michigan appeared in 9% more polls than the #1 team on that list. :smokin

Not to mention that it only goes back to 1936...which is not ALL-TIME.

RonMexico
09-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Wow. I have to say this lists really surprises me. I would have expected Oklahoma State to be number 1 but a huge margin, right CaptMike?

Thunder Dan
09-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Wow. I have to say this lists really surprises me. I would have expected Oklahoma State to be number 1 but a huge margin, right CaptMike?

I wouldn't go that far, I think USC is still #1, but Oklahoma St. has done alot to close th gap over the last couple seasons. The beatdown from Troy was just a minor setback in their quest to be the only premier athletic powerhouse in the NCAA.

samikeyp
09-15-2007, 08:29 AM

What's the RPI? :lol

Interesting formula. I like they way it incorporates many factors.

I still think W's and L's are what is most important though...just my .02.

RonMexico
09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't go that far, I think USC is still #1, but Oklahoma St. has done alot to close th gap over the last couple seasons. The beatdown from Troy was just a minor setback in their quest to be the only premier athletic powerhouse in the NCAA.

Their dominance in wrestling (which is the most popular sport in America) easily outweighs any setbacks in the minor sport of football.

RonMexico
09-15-2007, 08:49 AM
What's the RPI?

Interesting formula. I like they way it incorporates many factors.

I still think W's and L's are what is most important though...just my .02.

Especially since polling is the most inexact form of team valuation in college athletics.

I mean, A&M was 23 in both polls last week and dropped to 25 in the AP poll (rightfully so, I believe), yet jumped to 18 (!) in the coaches' poll.

Thunder Dan
09-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Their dominance in wrestling (which is the most popular sport in America) easily outweighs any setbacks in the minor sport of football.

good point. I think the Ultimate Warrior went to Oklahoma State along with Hacksaw Jim Duggan and 3/4 of the original Nation of Domination.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/01/04/20060526102309990006

http://home.blarg.net/~wayule/graphics/ult_war.jpg