PDA

View Full Version : SC - Nebraska

ShoogarBear
09-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Does anyone understand what the hell Corso just said?

K-State Spur
09-15-2007, 07:26 PM
damnit, we have a hard enough time convincing the rest of the country that people in the midwest are not hicks - and ABC gets Larry the Cable Guy to do UNL's line-ups...thanks.

And Corso has jumped the shark completely. He did an interview with 810 KC last year where he made absolutely no sense at any time whatsoever.

BeerIsGood!
09-15-2007, 07:28 PM
This game is out of hand and it just started.

ShoogarBear
09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
That first drive by the Trojans was either badass or embarassing, I can't decide which.

Brutalis
09-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Why watch this game when an SEC game is on?

BeerIsGood!
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
SC will win this one easily but they better be on the watch for Oregon, the Ducks look like the real deal this year.

Condemned 2 HelLA
09-15-2007, 07:52 PM
SC will win this one easily but they better be on the watch for Oregon, the Ducks look like the real deal this year.

Look out for Cal as well.

Holt's Cat
09-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Looks like we have a game now.

K-State Spur
09-15-2007, 08:32 PM
always had a game (evidently a 7 pt lead = getting out of hand?). one drive and declaring victory? then again, the USC fans I ran into in Manhattan in 2002 declared victory before kickoff, so at least they are learning a little bit.

leemajors
09-15-2007, 08:52 PM
why is USC even bothering to pass?

K-State Spur
09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
and the huskers' meaningless TDs at the end maintain KSU's 2003 29 point victory as the worst home loss in school history.

samikeyp
09-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Wasn't that the game that pretty much got Solich fired?

K-State Spur
09-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Steve Pederson said he would not accept mediocrity. Of course, Solich's last season was better than any that Callahan has put together (and that was back when the North still had some quality teams) - and he gets an extension...

SrA Husker
09-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Steve Pederson said he would not accept mediocrity. Of course, Solich's last season was better than any that Callahan has put together (and that was back when the North still had some quality teams) - and he gets an extension...

Okay, last nights loss was tough to take. Nebraska got their butts handed to them by the best team in the country. But, I can't stand this talk about how Solich was so much better than Callahan - I also remind you to see where Solich is now, how many wins he has, and how many recruits he has for next season.

Solich could not recruit. He also could not coach. Many bring up Callahan's record against Top 10 teams. Solich was 9-15 (38%) against ranked opponents, and only 3-8 (27%) against Top 10 teams. Remember, that includes the years where he got to inherit Osborne's recruits. Many bring up Callahan's road record. Solich was 3-11 on the road against teams with winning records in Big 12 play. His three wins?

- 33-30 OT win against an eventual 7-5 CU team in Boulder, 1999
- 49-27 win against an eventual 9-3 ISU team in Ames, 2000
- 56-3 win against an eventual 7-6 Texas Tech team in Lubbock, 2000

Notice how all of those came when he could still use Osborne's players.

Lets compare that to Bill Callahan against Top 10 teams, since everyone loves that stat so much.

'04 loss at OU, whose only loss was in the NC game.
'06 loss at USC and now '07 loss at home vs. USC, a program that's now 62-6 since 2002.
'06 loss - in which we easily played well enough to win - against Texas, the defending NC.
'06 loss to Auburn, one one of the winningest teams from '04 to '06, who in '06 happened to give defending NC Florida their only loss.
'06 loss to Oklahoma

Since you mentioned Frank's 2003 season, lets look at that (especially since you conveniently ignore the 7-7 season he had the year before). Do you remember the 24-41 bouncing a #10 Nebraska took against unranked Missouri? I'm sure you remember the 9-38 home loss that Nebraska team took against your Wildcats, since you already mentioned it. The only road win that entire season came against Southern Mississippi. Very impressive, Coach Solich. Are you honestly going to say that going 9-3 with a team ranked as high as #10 that season, suffering two humiliating North losses, and going to the Alamo Bowl was better than the 9-5 season that Bill Callahan put together last year, beating ranked teams on the road, making it to a premier bowl game, and coming within a single play of beating #10 Auburn (don't throw in how they've suffered this year, last year they were still the shit)?

Sure, last night was embarrassing. It means that Nebraska still is not where it wants to be, despite being in year 4 of the Callahan era. But I was showed one thing - the team didn't give up, it was simply outplayed. I have no doubt this team will be able to compete against the best the Big 12 will offer this season. The WCO takes time to learn, it takes time to build a team for.

Some thought Nebraska should already be back and there's no excuse for performances like last night. However, Bob Devaney became Nebraska's head coach in 1962. It was 1970 before he won a National Championship. Tom Osborne became Nebraska's head coach in 1972. He didn't win the first of his three National Championships until 1994 (and before then, had the stigma that he "couldn't win the big game"). Frank Solich became Nebraska's head coach in 1998. He never came close to winning it all (I disagree we deserved to be in the Rose Bowl after the humiliating loss to Colorado - and Miami proved it, too).

You want Frank back? Take a look at how he's doing in Ohio. He's being the exact same Frank, except drinking a few more margaritas now. No offense to speak of, completely sleepwalks in second halfs. Number of recruits for next season - 1. I'm shuddering thinking about a Frank Solich team playing against USC yesterday... :dizzy

K-State Spur
09-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Callahan can recruit - nobody disputes that. But, since basically everybody on the team is now his and from a highly rated recruiting class (as my husker friends repeatedly told me prior to last night's game), the question much arise - by what margin is Cally going to have to out-recruit the opposition in order to overcome his coaching?

Of course, it might help if he recruited for fit of the team (like Osbourne - who rarely had a top ranked recruiting class) vs. just going off of Leming's rankings.

Your Cubs need a good week this week. Schedule favors them over Milwaukee.