PDA

View Full Version : Poor tpark

IcemanCometh
12-15-2004, 12:57 PM
poor poor tpark

Spurminator
12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Red Sox Sign Renteria (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1946831)

Associated Press

BOSTON -- All-Star shortstop Edgar Renteria told The Boston Globe he has agreed to a $40 million, four-year contract with the Red Sox, the paper reported on its Web site Wednesday.

Renteria, who played for St. Louis for the past six years, made the final out in Boston's World Series sweep of the Cardinals. He has a .289 career average and is a four-time All-Star and two-time Gold Glove winner.

Reached by the paper at his home in Colombia, Renteria said the World Series champions made the best offer.

"I like to play on a winning team like Boston, St. Louis or any team that has the opportunity to win,'' he was quoted as saying. His decision came down to the two pennant winners, and he said the Red Sox were "more interested in my playing for them.''

At a news conference to announce an agreement with pitcher John Halama, Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said no agreement was yet in place with Renteria. Lucchino said the team was negotiating with the shortstop and Boston hoped to hold another news conference this week.

"An All-Star and Gold Glove infielder would be a great addition to this or any other team,'' Lucchino said.

Renteria replaces fellow Colombian Orlando Cabrera, who was acquired in a late-season trade and played a key role in Boston's championship run.

His contract also includes an option for 2009.

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
I told you, TPark!!!

Cabrerra was better though. :(

King
12-15-2004, 04:51 PM
As a Cards fan, I really liked Renteria...but 40mil was WAY overpaying him. I'd be happy with Cabrera at 2/3 of that, and some money to get a #1 pitcher.

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Ironic that the player that made the last out for the Cards against the Sox is now playing on the team that celebrated his out.

:)

T Park
12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with Latifa.

40 million might stretching it.

Cardinals came at him with 4 years 38.

What pushed the Sox over I guess was 2 million more and the 5th year.

Sign Cabrerra, Sign Placido Polanco for 2nd base.

Trade for Tim Hudson.