PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts in San Antonio

Soul_Patch
09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Im thinking of starting some MA training. I need to get back in shape, and since ive always had an interest in Martial Arts, i think it would be a fun thing to pursue.

After researching for a while i was stuck on Aikido and Kenpo. Im pretty sure i will go with Kenpo, since it is a little more intensive, where as aikido is more spiritual and meditative.

Anyone attend any MA school in San Antonio? Any reccomendations? Im think im going to head here (http://www.sakenpo.com/site/view/31217_Home.pml) tonight to try it out.

Whisky Dog
09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I've trained in Krav Maga for several years and love the workout. If you want intensive then that's the ticket, but I don't know of any good schools in San Antonio.

BacktoBasics
09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Lets face it Jazzercise is your only option.

SAtown
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Kuk Sool Won. I trained there a few years back, got my black belt and quit (big mistake).

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I lost about 15 pounds with Wing Chung Kung Fu...

Evan
09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
http://www.txmma.com/

fraga
09-17-2007, 03:43 PM
I've trained in Krav Maga for several years and love the workout. If you want intensive then that's the ticket, but I don't know of any good schools in San Antonio.
Where is this school at...that'd definitely be something I'd want to do...especially after seeing "Human Weapon" on the History Channel last night...

dougp
09-17-2007, 03:56 PM
I did Krav Maga stuff in Houston for a few months, until I messed up my knee more than it was - got way too painful to keep training so I cancelled my membership. I'd recommend it though, it's more practical than any other MA, and pretty "easy" to get started with.

Soul_Patch
09-17-2007, 04:10 PM
there is a krav maga school here in town.

http://911kravmaga.com/

I originally thought about that, but im more interested in traditional MA.

Evan
09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Most schools will start out with self defense though.

Traditional Martial Arts is pretty bland. Lots of cycling through moves that are meaningless, rigid and more memory than physcial effort.

Maybe you would prefer a Jiu Jitsu school?

Soul_Patch
09-17-2007, 04:19 PM
i definately considered jui jitsu and mma. i just worry with the big hype of mma right now, most of those type of schools will be overly filled with big roid heads thinking htey are they next chuck lidel...im not interested in that. i couldnt find a jiu jitsu school in my area.

Evan
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
i definately considered jui jitsu and mma. i just worry with the big hype of mma right now, most of those type of schools will be overly filled with big roid heads

Well the thing is that every martial arts school is generally moving to that now. If those schools don't convert they will die off and I think they know that.

But I wouldn't worry so much, I dont think most meat heads have the patience for Jiu Jitsu.

Leetonidas
09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Try Texas Samurai

desflood
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.ashcrafts.net/

dallaskd
09-17-2007, 05:31 PM
:lol

Just take some thai kickboxing, BJJ, and boxing. You'll be set.

cornbread
09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
i definately considered jui jitsu and mma. i just worry with the big hype of mma right now, most of those type of schools will be overly filled with big roid heads thinking htey are they next chuck lidel...im not interested in that. i couldnt find a jiu jitsu school in my area.
I train at Power Team Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They offer bjj/submission wrestling (coached by 2 former bjj world champions), boxing (coached by ex-pro HBO fighter Carlos "El Famoso" Hernandez), and mma (coached by the above and other pro fighters).

The atmosphere is very friendly and cooperative. Despite the fact that are many tough pros and champions training at the facility, egos are always checked at the door.

They have 2 locations in town. Check them out. www.powerteambjj.com

dallaskd
09-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Only in Brazil do you get real BJJ...

dougp
09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I suggest Krav Maga, overall ... it's something you can use if you get into a real fight - it's not situational if someone throws a certain punch or kick, etc. The only other thing you should try to pick up if you want to be able to apply it is a grappling style.

cornbread
09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Only in Brazil do you get real BJJ...

:lol For the record, both bjj instructors at Power Team were born, raised, and trained in Brazil. So far in 2007 they've brought in brazilian bad asses like Hermes Franca and Mario Sperry (founding and current member of Brazilian Top Team) to teach lessons to the students. The learning opportunities that this place offers are pretty impressive.

Whisky Dog
09-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Where is this school at...that'd definitely be something I'd want to do...especially after seeing "Human Weapon" on the History Channel last night...

I started training here (http://www.kravmagadfw.com/) a couple of months ago after moving to the metroplex from California. So far it seems to be a pretty friendly and productive place and is sanctioned by the Krav Maga governing body in Israel.

I started a form of Krav Maga training when I was a Police Officer several years ago, and liked the simplicity and practicality of the technique. I was never one for developing or attempting a lot of "forms" or flashy routines so I decided to stay with it even after leaving the police force.

FWIW if I was to study another martial art I would love to study Judo. It's a completely different skill set and is a pretty intensive training as well.