PDA

View Full Version : Best Bank or Credit Union

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 08:05 PM
I have been with security service for 7 years. I really like them, but they pissed me off a couple of times in the last year.

I am just wondering who you bank with and how you rate them on the below.

1- No ATM fees
2- Rewards program credit card
3- Free on-line bill pay
4- Financing programs
5- Web access 24 x 7

Which bank offers all of the above?

ashbeeigh
09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
I have been with security service for 7 years. I really like them, but they pissed me off a couple of times in the last year.

I am just wondering who you bank with and how you rate them on the below.

1- No ATM fees
2- Rewards program credit card
3- Free on-line bill pay
4- Financing programs
5- Web access 24 x 7

Which bank offers all of the above?

Washington Mutual has the highlighted things...I think. I just switched to them and really like them and am still getting acquainted with Wamu.

1. They themselves don't have atm fees. You have to pay the other banks atm fees though. If that's what no ATM fees means.
2. Rewards with the debit card thing. I think it's 10 cents with every debit and you get it at the end of the year.
3. Yes
4. Don't know
5. Yes.

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Washington Mutual has the highlighted things...I think. I just switched to them and really like them and am still getting acquainted with Wamu.

1. They themselves don't have atm fees. You have to pay the other banks atm fees though. If that's what no ATM fees means.
2. Rewards with the debit card thing. I think it's 10 cents with every debit and you get it at the end of the year.
3. Yes
4. Don't know
5. Yes.

I am looking for a bank that gives you your money back for ATM fees...

exstatic
09-17-2007, 08:44 PM
USAA Federal Savings. They charge no ATM fees for the first 10 ATM withdrawals per month and refund up to $15 per month if another bank charges you a fee. I rarely use this, as I use my debit card for purchases, and if I need cash occasionally, I do a point of sale purchase with cash over the amount on my debit card at HEB or Home Depot or wherever. I think I may do 6-8 actual ATM withdrawals per year.

I think they cover all 5 of your items.

Mr. Ash
09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
USAA Federal Savings. They charge no ATM fees for the first 10 ATM withdrawals per month and refund up to $15 per month if another bank charges you a fee. I rarely use this, as I use my debit card for purchases, and if I need cash occasionally, I do a point of sale purchase with cash over the amount on my debit card at HEB or Home Depot or wherever. I think I may do 6-8 actual ATM withdrawals per year.

I think they cover all 5 of your items.

You will also need to be a USAA member or residing in Bexar County - but they do cover all five items.

Das Texan
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I've heard great things about USAA.

If I ever do switch, they are easily my first choice.

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 09:37 PM
USAA sounds very intriguing. Are there any requirements to become a member?

24 x 7 banking...etc?

Lady Marmalade
09-17-2007, 09:39 PM
like the other posted USAA
I am going to switch there very soon!!! PLUS you can do at home deposits!!!!!! :clap

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Anyone use Wachovia as their bank? Seems like they're pushing for a presence in San Antonio...

exstatic
09-17-2007, 10:08 PM
You will also need to be a USAA member or residing in Bexar County - but they do cover all five items.
Not for the bank. Bank charters will not allow such distinctions.

CubanMustGo
09-17-2007, 10:15 PM
USAA sounds very intriguing. Are there any requirements to become a member?

24 x 7 banking...etc?

You have to be military (active or retired) or a dependent/family member. Brother/sister doesn't cut it, must be child of military member.

Failing that look at Randolph-Brooks FCU. We do business with both and find rates and service superior at RBFCU. USAA offers more services (mutual funds, insurance, etc.) but I find their mutual fund offerings to lag badly behind Fidelity. No you can't do deposits via remote but they have quite a few branches around town and even up to New Braunfels/Austin.

Remember: banks exist to make money. Credit unions exist to serve their members. Our CU in Dallas ("Community CU") changed to a bank (Viewpoint) - they were always a wimpy CU, now they totally suck. My wife is self-employed and they constantly give her shit about her deposits - and since she used to work in the banking industry she knows what is and is not legit.

exstatic
09-17-2007, 10:29 PM
You have to be military (active or retired) or a dependent/family member. Brother/sister doesn't cut it, must be child of military member.

Repeat: not for the USAA bank. Anyone can bank with USAA FSB.

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 10:37 PM

You are correct, my friend. My co-worker told me the same thing and he banks with them.

CubanMustGo
09-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Not according to this February interview with the VP, Public Communications for USAA (http://blog.wesabe.com/index.php/2007/02/27/interview-with-katie-spring-of-usaa/[/url):

Q. Who is eligible for USAA banking? Did the requirements for USAA Federal Savings Bank recently change, and if so, what is behind the change? What does USAA recommend for people who are not eligible to join? Do you plan to make banking available to more people over time?

“USAA is committed to providing financial security to members of the military and their families. We offer financial planning, insurance, banking, investments, and life insurance. We strive to offer the most competitive prices and the best service — period. Regarding membership in USAA…as you know, we serve a niche market – members of the military and their families. By focusing on this group we can provide the very best service and offerings. If you or your parents served in the military, you’re likely eligible for USAA. And since membership is passed through generations, if your parents had USAA, you’re eligible, too (even if they – or you – didn’t serve). Readers can take less than a minute to check out if they’re eligible to join USAA by visiting usaa.com – it’s very quick and easy.”

I also hit the USAA web site trying to find alternative membership requirements for the FSB and everything pointed to the military/dependent relationship being mandatory. Perhaps you can point us to a link to something that says otherwise?

BigBeezie
09-17-2007, 10:41 PM

Failing that look at Randolph-Brooks FCU. We do business with both and find rates and service superior at RBFCU. USAA offers more services (mutual funds, insurance, etc.) but I find their mutual fund offerings to lag badly behind Fidelity. No you can't do deposits via remote but they have quite a few branches around town and even up to New Braunfels/Austin.

Remember: banks exist to make money. Credit unions exist to serve their members. Our CU in Dallas ("Community CU") changed to a bank (Viewpoint) - they were always a wimpy CU, now they totally suck. My wife is self-employed and they constantly give her shit about her deposits - and since she used to work in the banking industry she knows what is and is not legit.

Well, Security Service FCU did a miscount on a deposit of mine and tried to short me by $700 between cash and checks. After that foul-up, I spent an hour at the bank speaking with a manager. I guess because I look very young they tried to brush me aside. Total BS… They also hit me with an NSF fee on my checking when I had $15,000 in a savings account with them (I was out of town so I couldn't transfer money). That is why I am looking to leave them after 7 years.

CubanMustGo
09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I stand corrected (partially) after finding this in the Ultimate USAA Bank Thread (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&threadid=508254):

Banking: To open a bank account, you must meet one of these requirements:
1. have a military affiliation
2. be a current bank customer
3. be a resident of Bexar County, Texas (San Antonio)

Apologies and thanks for the opportunity to learn something new!

TDMVPDPOY
09-17-2007, 10:47 PM
the best ones are the country banks, not many ppl in there branches lining up to get process compared to the big banks, where at peak time lunch time, they only have 4-5 ppl tellers workin, and you got 50 ppl lining up to be process...sometimes you just feel like screaming at the workers, they make billions of profit a year yet they dont put 7-8 tellers on the floor at peak time

Samr
09-17-2007, 10:55 PM
No one has mentioned SACU yet? I'm surprised. I go there and have no complaints. As far as ATM fees go, it's free at their ATMs but they don't have many of them. At least with my type of account (the name of which escapes me at the moment), they will also repay the free from other ATMs up to $25. Though I always just go the cash back at purchase route anyway.

TDMVPDPOY
09-18-2007, 01:18 AM
try and get a student account

you dont get charge for account fees, and processing fees....and you get a shit interest

BigBeezie
09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I wish I could join USAA for insurance... I got out of the Marines in 2002....so I missed it by a few years.

I can still join the bank, though!

09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I wish I could join USAA for insurance... I got out of the Marines in 2002....so I missed it by a few years.

I can still join the bank, though!

Were you IRR after 2002? I haven't seen the USAA requirements for enlisted personnel, but maybe you can get in that way?

BigBeezie
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Were you IRR after 2002? I haven't seen the USAA requirements for enlisted personnel, but maybe you can get in that way?

I was on IRR until October 2005. I am pretty sure you have to be on active duty.

fraga
09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I would say Washington Mutual...you get a lot of free stuff from them...free this...free that...dammit I need to go...

KEDA
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM

Not exactly....this is megan and my mom has worked for the company for over 20+ yrs.....to be a member of the bank you have to be either military or a dependent of someone who works there..

The UNITED SA CREDIT UNION anyone can be a part of.

Hope it helps

Mr. Ash
09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry, I really should have posted more above and cleared up the confusion. The change in the membership at the USAA bank is relatively new - it was indeed open to all comers until the last year or so. Now, as stated above, it's only residents of Bexar and of course active duty military (all ranks) or retired officers (and employees).

Despite a conflict of interest here (employed in the parent company), I've been very happy with the core banking services. ATM fee rebate (really a necessity for them since they only have a couple of ATMs of their own), debit card reward programs, free bill pay, and an interesting capability of depositing checks by using a scanner on your computer.

KEDA
09-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Wachovia FTW

PM5K
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Meg or Keda?

to21
09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I've had USAA for over 10 years now and the only knock I had on them was when I had to deposit a check into my account. I'd have to drive all the way over there to do so. Now you can deposit checks at your house with a scanner!

As far as the other stuff that was listed.....yeah they do that stuff too. However, they are not with out fault, they have been known to f' up a transaction or two.

Thunder Dan
09-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I am looking for a bank that gives you your money back for ATM fees...

Schwab pays your ATM fees back for you.

I go through ING Direct because the intrest rate is better than any other bank around for savings 4.5%. If your intrested in getting an account let me know, if you refer me we both get $25.