View Full Version : JAZZ: Andrei Kirilenko demands trade

ducks
09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
JAZZ: Andrei Kirilenko demands trade
By Ross Siler and Michael Nakoryakov
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated:09/18/2007 09:10:58 PM MDT

Posted: 9:12 PM- With the Jazz set to report to training camp in less than two weeks, Andrei Kirilenko's summer of discontent apparently came full circle Tuesday in the form of a trade demand that echoed in Russian and English.
Barely 48 hours after leading Russia to gold at the European championships in Spain, Kirilenko wrote in a blog post on the Russian Web site Sport Today that he was ready to leave Utah after six seasons.
"In a week, I need to join the Utah Jazz again, but quite frankly, I'm not really happy about that," wrote Kirilenko, who was named MVP of the EuroBasket tournament. "The past season was bad for me and I was really disappointed.
"I've thought about it a lot and I came to a decision. I want to leave Utah Jazz. The European championships that just ended became sort of a test for me and now I think I know what I want to do."
The blog post was translated by a member of Tribune staff.
The Jazz would face large obstacles in trying to trade Kirilenko, their highest-paid player owed $63 million on his contract through the 2010-11 season. They also face untold distractions as they open the season trying to build off a conference finals appearance.
Kirilenko also revealed that he approached Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, a few weeks ago and asked to be traded. O'Connor did not return multiple messages Tuesday night.
" 'I told him that I don't see myself in the team and want to leave," Kirilenko wrote. "Quite clearly, Utah and me see my place and role in the team differently. I don't want myself and my contract to be a burden for the club. I want the club to continue in its own direction."
"It's their choice. I have only one request: Let me, myself, go in the direction I want to go. I don't want to be there and mechanically fulfill a contract."
A source close to Kirilenko said he did not believe such a conversation with O'Connor took place. But Kirilenko wrote that he hadn't heard anything back from O'Connor or the organization in a week, which he took as a sign of disrespect.
"There's no response negative or positive and this silence is just one more evidence of the way they treat me," Kirilenko wrote. "Nevertheless, I'm really hopeful that Utah Jazz leadership will understand that our relationship is over and it's time for us to part ways."
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6931935

ducks
09-19-2007, 09:08 AM
The good news for the Utah Jazz is that after a shaky 2006-07 NBA campaign, Andrei Kirilenko had a strong offseason. He recently led Russia to the European Championship held in Spain. But the bad news for the Jazz, apparently, is that the 6-foot-9 forward no longer wants to play in Utah.<p>
Kirilenko made it clear in a blog entry on a Russian Web site on Tuesday that he no longer wants to be a member of the Jazz.
In the blog post written in Russian on Sport Today, Kirilenko wrote about his general unhappiness playing in Jazz coach Jerry Sloan's system and of his disappointment in his role last season. Kirilenko averaged 8.3 points and 4.7 rebounds a year ago — down from his career averages of 12.9 points and 6.2 boards.
According to an online translation, Kirilenko called coach Jerry Sloan a "legend". But he wrote that for him, Sloan's "style and system is not suitable.
Kirilenko indicated that he has voiced his desire to be traded to Jazz vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor.
O'Connor, contacted Tuesday night by KSL-TV, had no comment on Kirilenko's blog entry.
Trading Kirilenko would not be easy since he is a "max-money" player whose contract runs through the 2010-11 season. His play in the European championships, however, may increase his trade value
With or without Kirilenko, the Jazz will open training camp in Boise on Oct.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695211399,00.html

Obstructed_View
09-19-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.diario.com.mx/imagesnotas/2007/09/ESP323805VG.jpg

LEAVE ANDREI ALONE!!!

sa_butta
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
When asked what will happen if he doesnt get traded

"Ill break you."

zeleni
09-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Would Kirilenko work in SA? I would love him as a Spur! I would love him even in Boston!

BeerIsGood!
09-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Would Kirilenko work in SA? I would love him as a Spur! I would love him even in Boston!

If you traded TP, Manu, and Duncan for him the money might be close to being right. You want to do that?

BeerIsGood!
09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
All I know is if a team is paying me $63 million dollars over a few years to play for them the least I could do is work my ass off, don't cry like a baby, and don't go making trade demands, especially in the media. This guy is reaching an Alex Rodriguez level of spoiled.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure that too many teams are going to be really anxious to take on a big contract for a guy who shrinks in crunch time, whose offensive game is limited and basically ineffective if he's not getting to the rim, who hasn't been consistently healthy in the last three years, who's a pouter, and whose numbers were really good only on teams that weren't very good. Kirilenko has a lot of talent, but I'm not sure that it warrants a contract averaging 15.5 per.

ducks
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
mavs will make a run at him :spin

cuban has to get back in the news

Supergirl
09-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Players demanding trades is getting out of hand.

Don't these guys realize they're EMPLOYEES? If they did this at any other job, they'd be fired. If it works for the jazz to unload him do it - he's deadweight to them anyway. but if I were the Jazz I wouldn't break my neck trying to do it. He's an employee. He's required to show up for work and do what he's told by his boss - the coach - and if he doesn't or if he makes life difficult for his co-workers (the other players) he should be sent home without pay.

Dirk Nowitzki
09-19-2007, 11:43 AM

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun FUCK THAT! I dont want an overrated piece of shit who blows at defense on my team. I would rather have Webber!! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Players demanding trades is getting out of hand.

Don't these guys realize they're EMPLOYEES? If they did this at any other job, they'd be fired. If it works for the jazz to unload him do it - he's deadweight to them anyway. but if I were the Jazz I wouldn't break my neck trying to do it. He's an employee. He's required to show up for work and do what he's told by his boss - the coach - and if he doesn't or if he makes life difficult for his co-workers (the other players) he should be sent home without pay.

It's not quite that simple. Teams can't just fire players without any consequences to themselves. Aside from making a talented player available to the rest of the league, which is a significant cost in a business with a shallow pool of available employees, the team will either have to pay a substantial payout to the guy to terminate the contract early (costing the team cash now) or will have to continue having his contract count against the salary cap while the player moves along to another team (costing the team teh ability to acquire other players down the road).

Using real world work analogies is tempting, but I think that it's ultimately improper when thinking about NBA employment. With guaranteed contracts, it is frequently true that the employees actually have the employers over a barrel.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 11:46 AM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun FUCK THAT! I dont want an overrated piece of shit who blows at defense on my team.

http://sp1.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3645364454

You rang?

Dirk Nowitzki
09-19-2007, 11:50 AM

You rang?

:downspin: :downspin: :downspin: I know Dirk cant play defense if his life depended on it. I am just saying I dont want a guy who cant stay in front of his man. Relying on our interior to save AK isnt really a good idea. It will allow teams to attack inside on us especially at Dirk. :depressed

mavs>spurs2
09-19-2007, 11:50 AM

You rang?

Dirk can at least lead his team to the finals. Kirilenko couldn't even handle a starter's role on a Jazz team that couldn't get past the WCF, he was reduced to the bench and cried about it.

Summers
09-19-2007, 11:53 AM

I see a Knicks uni in his future.

ajh18
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
There is a certain amount of irony in saying that you don't want "an overrated piece of shit who blows at defense on my team" and then saying you want chris webber....

Summers
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure that too many teams are going to be really anxious to take on a big contract for a guy who shrinks in crunch time, whose offensive game is limited and basically ineffective if he's not getting to the rim, who hasn't been consistently healthy in the last three years, who's a pouter, and whose numbers were really good only on teams that weren't very good. Kirilenko has a lot of talent, but I'm not sure that it warrants a contract averaging 15.5 per.

That's what I was thinking! He wins the Euro championship and he thinks he's too good for Utah? Maybe there's something else behind the scenes, but it sounds whiny.

Dirk Nowitzki
09-19-2007, 11:56 AM
There is a certain amount of irony in saying that you don't want "an overrated piece of shit who blows at defense on my team" and then saying you want chris webber....

Webber would be so much cheaper and would fill up a nice role backing up Dirk. It also gives us another scorer off the bench. AK is a perimeter player with a bloated contract, shitty defense, and very inconsistent offense.

Bruno
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Kirilenko could be a great fit in SA but I doubt Holt is ready to spend that much money.

barbacoataco
09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
There was a rumour of a Suns trade involving Marion for Kirilenko. Personally I think the Suns would be crazy to make that trade. They are both complainers, but Marion is more talented.

MoSpur
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Send him to Portland.

Calling Tlong.

thispego
09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Webber would be so much cheaper and would fill up a nice role backing up Dirk. It also gives us another scorer off the bench. AK is a perimeter player with a bloated contract, shitty defense, and very inconsistent offense.
ehh, kirilenko has shitty defense? wroooooooooooooooooooooooong

AFBlue
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :madrun :madrun :madrun FUCK THAT! I dont want an overrated piece of shit who blows at defense on my team. I would rather have Webber!! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Actually, Kirilenko is very good at defense.

He's not GREAT at any one thing, but he is very good at almost everything. He'll get you a decent number of blocks, steals, rebounds, assists, and points.

He's also just won the Euro championships and probably regained some of his confidence/edge. Add to all that, his versatility to play three positions on the floor (2, 3, 4) and you've got a decent player.

Is he worth max-type money? No, but if he's healthy and confident he'll make your team MUCH better.

I see a potential deal with Jason Terry as the foundation of the trade on the other side. Dallas has to give the job to Harris someday after they just agreed to pay him $8M/yr and Utah is still probably looking for that Derek Fisher replacement.

Bottom Line: Andrei Kirilenko could be a VERY good acquisition for any club that decides he's worth overpaying, to put them over the top.

AFBlue
09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
P.S. The Spurs will NOT be one of those overpaying teams...

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Actually, Kirilenko is very good at defense.

He's not GREAT at any one thing, but he is very good at almost everything. He'll get you a decent number of blocks, steals, rebounds, assists, and points.

He's also just won the Euro championships and probably regained some of his confidence/edge. Add to all that, his versatility to play three positions on the floor (2, 3, 4) and you've got a decent player.

Is he worth max-type money? No, but if he's healthy and confident he'll make your team MUCH better.

I see a potential deal with Jason Terry as the foundation of the trade on the other side. Dallas has to give the job to Harris someday after they just agreed to pay him $8M/yr and Utah is still probably looking for that Derek Fisher replacement.

Bottom Line: Andrei Kirilenko could be a VERY good acquisition for any club that decides he's worth overpaying, to put them over the top.

I disagree about Kirilenko being much more than a good defender. He puts up good defensive numbers, but playing good defense is a different thing than putting up good defensive numbers.

And I can't see that Kirilenko would be anything more than a nice piece for a good team -- I don't think he'll ever be the guy who puts a team over the top.

E20
09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
How does Kirilenko have any authority to demand a trade? He sucked ass for the Jazz, people need to know their place, too much God complex going on in the NBA now-a-days.

ploto
09-19-2007, 02:04 PM
This is not new just since Eurobasket. He asked to be traded last season. Toronto would be willing to fork out the money for him but they have tried to trade for him before to no avail.

Kori Ellis
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I disagree about Kirilenko being much more than a good defender. He puts up good defensive numbers, but playing good defense is a different thing than putting up good defensive numbers.

And I can't see that Kirilenko would be anything more than a nice piece for a good team -- I don't think he'll ever be the guy who puts a team over the top.

You are right. His blocks (and other numbers) are an illusion of good defense. Jerry Sloan calls him out about it. He lets players blow by him and then reaches from behind to try to get blocks. That's not being a great defender. I know that he has a multitude of things that show up in the stat sheet as being good. But if you watch him a lot, you won't be that impressed.

Also, he cried on the ground (literally) about not getting enough playing time and being treated "poorly".

I can't imagine what would happen if he was a Spur and Pop yelled at him.

ploto
09-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Kirilenko also revealed that he talked to Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, a few weeks ago and asked to be traded.

O'Connor said Tuesday that he had spoken with Kirilenko but declined to comment on what was said.

"What you're trying to do is overall look at the success he's had with us," O'Connor said. "He has a long-term contract with us and I don't think we would have given him a contract like that if we weren't confident he'd be here."

Kirilenko is required to report for camp by Oct. 1 and O'Connor said, "We explained to him when everybody was supposed to be back and we expect him to be here."

The Jazz would face sizable obstacles in trying to trade Kirilenko, their highest-paid player owed $63 million through the 2010-11 season. They also face untold distractions as they open the season trying to build off a conference finals appearance.

Of his conversation with O'Connor, Kirilenko wrote, "I told him that I don't see myself in the team and want to leave." He added: "I don't want myself and my contract to be a burden for the club. I want the club to continue in its own direction."

AK wants trade (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/48104/20070919/jazz_confident_kirilenko_will_remain_with_team/)

duncan228
09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Also, he cried on the ground (literally) about not getting enough playing time and being treated "poorly".

I can't imagine what would happen if he was a Spur and Pop yelled at him.

Good thing we don't have to imagine.
He's not a Spurs kind of guy even if he were cheap.

ducks
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
we can imagine
we have beno

ShoogarBear
09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
It's not quite that simple. Teams can't just fire players without any consequences to themselves. Aside from making a talented player available to the rest of the league, which is a significant cost in a business with a shallow pool of available employees, the team will either have to pay a substantial payout to the guy to terminate the contract early (costing the team cash now) or will have to continue having his contract count against the salary cap while the player moves along to another team (costing the team teh ability to acquire other players down the road).

Using real world work analogies is tempting, but I think that it's ultimately improper when thinking about NBA employment. With guaranteed contracts, it is frequently true that the employees actually have the employers over a barrel.You could also make the argument from the other end. In the real world, if you don't like the company you're working for, you can quit, send your resume out, and look for another job. Kirlenko can't do that. He can only play basketball for the Utah Jazz. Again, it's not a perfect analogy.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
You could also make the argument from the other end. In the real world, if you don't like the company you're working for, you can quit, send your resume out, and look for another job. Kirlenko can't do that. He can only play basketball for the Utah Jazz. Again, it's not a perfect analogy.

I agree with that. I suppose that Kirilenko could ask to be waived (ala Derek Fisher) and void the remainder of his contract -- though he'd be crazy to do that -- and move along to another team or even another league. It would be ridiculously impractical for him, but he has that option. Still there are numerous mutually-advantageous and mutually-disadvantageous aspects to the guaranteed contracts used in the NBA.

Ultimately, I think the fact that there are arguments for the player having the team over a barrel and the team having the player over a barrel is indicative of the fact that NBA employment is substantially different than employer-employee relations in the real world.

ShoogarBear
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Ultimately, I think the fact that there are arguments for the player having the team over a barrel and the team having the player over a barrel is indicative of the fact that NBA employment is substantially different than employer-employee relations in the real world.Exactly. Which is why the hip-shooting "why don't they just do their jobs" comments are always silly.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
When asked what will happen if he doesnt get traded

"Ill break you."
Looks like Ivan, plays like Ludmilla.

I feel really bad for the Jazz. I don't doubt they were already searching every possible option to get rid of him. Any team they were going to deal with already had the upper hand on the Jazz because with his contract and Houdini act in the playoffs I would bet that the Jazz want him gone more than any team particularly wants him. So the odds of them getting their money's worth on a trade was already long, and now, with the added fun of Kirilenko publicly stating he wants out and displaying even more mental baggage that he'd be taking with him, the odds look worse. They'll be lucky to get much of anything worth having to unload him.

ShoogarBear
09-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Looks like Ivan, plays like Ludmilla.

I feel really bad for the Jazz. I don't doubt they were already searching every possible option to get rid of him. Any team they were going to deal with already had the upper hand on the Jazz because with his contract and Houdini act in the playoffs I would bet that the Jazz want him gone more than any team particularly wants him. So the odds of them getting their money's worth on a trade was already long, and now, with the added fun of Kirilenko publicly stating he wants out and displaying even more mental baggage that he'd be taking with him, the odds look worse. They'll be lucky to get much of anything worth having to unload him.There's no way they'll get value in terms of talent. The only thing they can hope to get is quicker cap relief out of the deal.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2007, 03:12 PM
There's no way they'll get value in terms of talent. The only thing they can hope to get is quicker cap relief out of the deal.
Not so. If we trade them Beno and a life size statue of Beno covered in diamonds and rubies the money and the talent evens out.

AFBlue
09-19-2007, 03:16 PM

See your point about the numbers and playing consistent defense, but you can't say that he's a defensive liability in the least.

And "nice pieces" on teams with already-solid players CAN be guys who put their teams over the top.

IMO, Kirilenko on the Mavs in place of Jason Terry, who duplicates the same talent as Devin Harris, would make the Mavs more dangerous.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 03:34 PM
See your point about the numbers and playing consistent defense, but you can't say that he's a defensive liability in the least.

And "nice pieces" on teams with already-solid players CAN be guys who put their teams over the top.

IMO, Kirilenko on the Mavs in place of Jason Terry, who duplicates the same talent as Devin Harris, would make the Mavs more dangerous.

See, I don't see Terry and Harris as being the same sorts of players or talents. They play the same position in some sense, but that's about it. Terry is a scorer with range; Harris is a quick slasher who can score. Harris is a pretty good defender; I don't think Terry's a very good defender at all.

I can see your point about Kirilenko being different for a team like the Mavs, but I don't know that different is better. Kirilenko is still a pretty soft guy, even for someone who's greatest strength might be his overrated ability to defend. Playing Kirilenko and Dirk together would cost the Mavs in one aspect or another -- and it's not as if Kirilenko is going to give the Mavs the things that they were lacking against GST in the playoffs.

Adding a "big name" and a "big contract" to an established team is not a guarantee of increased success.

ShoogarBear
09-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Not so. If we trade them Beno and a life size statue of Beno covered in diamonds and rubies the money and the talent evens out.Actually, I believe Beno already comes with a couple of diamond-and-ruby-encrusted man-purses, so that just may work.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Actually, I believe Beno already comes with a couple of diamond-and-ruby-encrusted man-purses, so that just may work.
Sounds good. The Jazz get the added bonus that a reality show consisting of Beno's search for a dance club and efforts to pick up Mormon chicks has money written all over it.

PM5K
09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Exactly. Which is why the hip-shooting "why don't they just do their jobs" comments are always silly.

I disagree.

I think comments like that come from people that realize that not every job you have is going to be perfect, and you aren't always going to be totally happy but they don't bitch about it, they do their job and earn their money.

Considering the fact that those comparisons don't work (comparing white/blue collar workers with NBA Players) you can look at Kevin Garnett, a considerably better talent than AK47, and whose teams built around him were consistently sub par, and he went years without complaining, and actually considering the fact that he's the best player on his team, he really is one of the few that should have been complaining.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I disagree.

I think comments like that come from people that realize that not every job you have is going to be perfect, and you aren't always going to be totally happy but they don't bitch about it, they do their job and earn their money.

Considering the fact that those comparisons don't work (comparing white/blue collar workers with NBA Players) you can look at Kevin Garnett, a considerably better talent than AK47, and whose teams built around him were consistently sub par, and he went years without complaining, and actually considering the fact that he's the best player on his team, he really is one of the few that should have been complaining.

It's fair to want these guys to shut up and play.

It makes no sense -- not to me anyway -- to say that they should do so because if they were in "the real world" they'd just get fired for their bad attitudes.

PM5K
09-19-2007, 04:02 PM
It's fair to want these guys to shut up and play.

It makes no sense -- not to me anyway -- to say that they should do so because if they were in "the real world" they'd just get fired for their bad attitudes.

I'm not really sure that's what I said ;-)

I'm not saying they'd get fired, I'm saying your average Joe won't feel sorry for a guy making 60 million that's crying because he's playing seven minutes less than last year and not starting.

Maybe this comparison will get my point across, Manu doesn't cry when he doesn't start.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of other players in this league that don't cry like he does, that are probably in a better position to cry than he is, Manu is a World Champion, an All-Star, and an NBA Champion and he doesn't complain.

So yeah basically he should shut up and play, if guys like Garnett and Manu aren't crying, he sure as hell shouldn't be...

Something like that...

Mark in Austin
09-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, Kirilenko would be crazy to do it but if he offered a Derek Fisher-type solution: both parties agree to walk away from the contract; then Utah would be crazy to keep him.

ploto
09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't doubt they were already searching every possible option to get rid of him. Any team they were going to deal with already had the upper hand on the Jazz because with his contract and Houdini act in the playoffs I would bet that the Jazz want him gone more than any team particularly wants him.

The Jazz have turned down offers for him.

Obstructed_View
09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
http://www.diario.com.mx/imagesnotas/2007/09/ESP323805VG.jpg

LEAVE ANDREI ALONE!!!
Fixed the graphic. Now it makes sense.

Yes, I quoted myself.

ShoogarBear
09-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I disagree.

I think comments like that come from people that realize that not every job you have is going to be perfect, and you aren't always going to be totally happy but they don't bitch about it, they do their job and earn their money.But if they don't like their situation, they look for opportunites to go someplace else, too.

Considering the fact that those comparisons don't work (comparing white/blue collar workers with NBA Players) you can look at Kevin Garnett, a considerably better talent than AK47, and whose teams built around him were consistently sub par, and he went years without complaining, and actually considering the fact that he's the best player on his team, he really is one of the few that should have been complaining.True, but outside form the personality difference between KG and AK, this is another illustration why the NBA isn't analagous to the real world. Garnett was as much part of the "management" as he was "labor" in that most of the personnel decision were made with him in mind (probably to the point of including him in on some of the bigger ones, e.g., whether to get Sprewell). Also, KG's contract was one of the contributing reasons to why the Twolves were in such a bind.

And if KG wasn't the top dog in Minnesota or was unhappy his role on the team, you don't think he would squawk (I'm not saying that AK is a similar player)?

SequSpur
09-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Who gives a shit. when it comes to things that matter, the Utah Jazz never do.

ajh18
09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Some trades that might make sense?

Memphis could offer Mike Miller and Brian Cardinal
Clippers could offer Maggette and Tim Thomas
Cleveland could offer Hughes
New Jersey could offer Jefferson

ThomasGranger
09-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Some trades that might make sense?

Memphis could offer Mike Miller and Brian Cardinal
Clippers could offer Maggette and Tim Thomas
Cleveland could offer Hughes
New Jersey could offer Jefferson

Interesting. Hughes for AK I could see, but the other trade scenarios seem less likely.

mavs>spurs2
09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
ehh, kirilenko has shitty defense? wroooooooooooooooooooooooong

Kirilenko's defense consists of getting taken off the dribble every time and hoping he can get a block from behind with his long arms. In other words, he gets a block or 2 a game but his defense blows.

Dirk Nowitzki
09-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Kirilenko's defense consists of getting taken off the dribble every time and hoping he can get a block from behind with his long arms. In other words, he gets a block or 2 a game but his defense blows.

:clap :clap :clap

wildbill2u
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Not to defend AK as a great defender, but he's not real quick and is often matched against much faster opponents who take advantage of the physicall mismatch to blow past him. That's part of the NBA game plan against guys with his size and speed.

It's to his credit that he doesn't always quit on the play and wi'll try to recover and block the shot from behind.

The Spurs defense in the playoffs basically took him out of the game both physically and mentally. It was a superb defensive plan IMO.

saporvida
09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
ak is a loser! a cry baby loser! making 60+ mil and still crying? those types dont need to be in the league.

bdictjames
09-21-2007, 04:06 AM
Kirilenko is lucky Europeans cant play good defense.

zeleni
09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
If you traded TP, Manu, and Duncan for him the money might be close to being right. You want to do that?

No, i wouldn't. Duh.

But he would be great in Dallas or Boston. The guy has talent and could fit in any team, that lets him play his game.

DynastyBuilder
09-21-2007, 07:36 AM
My bad if I missed this earlier somewhere in the thread, but he says he's willing to drop his contract:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3029816

Thursday, September 20, 2007
Report: Kirilenko 'ready' to leave NBA, $63M contract
ESPN.com news services

Andrei Kirilenko is so prepared to leave the Utah Jazz, he's willing to forsake the remaining $63 million of his contract to play overseas.

According to a translation by The Salt Lake Tribune, Kirilenko said in an interview with the Russian newspaper Sport Express that he is prepared to go without the money remaining on his NBA contract to get away from the Jazz.

According to the Tribune, Kirilenko is quoted in the Russian newspaper as saying: "I just want to explain to everybody what I think and feel and that I could sacrifice my career with the NBA. The only thing I'm not prepared for is if I'm told, 'Andrei, we want you to stay anyway.' I'm sure then the next season would be a repetition of the previous one, and what will the fans say then? How could you possibly rely on a player who wants to leave?"

Kirilenko, who is under contract through the 2010-11 season, told Sport Express he thinks the chances of his contract being voided are small. But he remains steadfast in his desire to leave Utah, even if it means playing on a worse team, NBA or otherwise.

"I have never been unfair and I don't want to enjoy something that I don't deserve," Kirilenko told Sport Express. "Big money is obviously good, but I am prepared to make less. The size of my salary doesn't mean that much for me. The main thing is to play with a spark."

He says he would like to play in Russia, although as long as he is under contract with Utah, that cannot happen as NBA and FIBA teams must honor each other's contracts. Kirilenko starred for CSKA Moscow in the Euroleague before coming to the NBA, but he says he'd also consider other European teams.

"I would like to be where I am needed and right now I feel that my country needs me," Kirilenko told Sport Express. "But I cannot exclude some European clubs. Trust me, I really am prepared to leave NBA. It certainly does not mean that I'm dying to go to Europe. I'm just ready."

Kirilenko could face a fine or suspension by the Jazz if he fails to report to camp on Oct. 1.

He contrasted his displeasure with Jazz coach Jerry Sloan with the experience he had with Russian coach David Blatt during the recent European Basketball Tournament. Russia won the tournament and Kirilenko was named MVP.

"Last year, we had a conversation with him," Kirilenko told Sport Express "and Sloan said, 'Andrei, if you don't like something about the way I conduct training you could always break the contract with the Jazz.' So that's exactly what I want to do now!"

Kirilenko doesn't want to lose another year or two playing for Sloan and told Sport Express he talked with Jazz owner Larry Miller while he was in Spain for the European Basketball Tournament.

"It seems like Larry understood me," Kirilenko said. "But he will make the final decision himself, obviously."

Streakyshooter08
09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Well if he does that it would be a fair thing. The club saves a lot of money an can look for players who are better suited for their system and Kirilenko is able to play somewhere else. It is pretty much a win-win situation.

That said, Kirilenko to the Spurs for a reasonable contract would be great in my opinion. He is a good player. Of course no max player but he can help most of the teams in the NBA. His only problem was the huge contract he signed. He is more comfortable at the 4 and would work next to TD. Both are very good shot blockers and help defenders. A lineup of:

TD
Kirilenko
Bowen
Udoka
Parker

would be deadly defensively. I don't think it will happen though. It will be interesting where he lands.

phxspurfan
09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Kirilenko would be a good long 3 for us, but he would have to be bought out, like StreakyShooter said. If he is bought out, he may get a pretty good deal again due to the ensuing bidding war (the Spurs would probably not enter that war).

edit: Kirilenko would be a good long 3 for us if he could stay in front of his man and never let his man slash through the middle.

Scola Trade
09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Kirilenko's international game doesn't translate to the NBA. On the Russia NT he's the go-to-guy. But on the NBA he's too slow to defend SF's and too weak for PF's. I see him as a career backup PF playing 10-15 MPG and giving 3-4 rbs, 3-4 good fouls.

ducks
09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Kirilenko's international game doesn't translate to the NBA. On the Russia NT he's the go-to-guy. But on the NBA he's too slow to defend SF's and too weak for PF's. I see him as a career backup PF playing 10-15 MPG and giving 3-4 rbs, 3-4 good fouls.
might be said the same thing of scola

Streakyshooter08
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM

You are right to a certain degree but I think that it is also a matter of how you use him. He had 3 great season between 03 and 06 where his averages were about: 16 PPG, 7,5 RPG, 3,5 APG AND about 3 BPG so I think he has the talent and the skill to do it in the NBA he was just overpaid and had a bad season. If you use him right and give him some confidence back I think he might really help a lot of teams. He is also just 26 years old. His main problem is to stay healthy and he does not have a good outside shot but other than that he is a good player.

Mark in Austin
09-21-2007, 03:28 PM
It would be pretty ironic if Utah agreed to rescind the contract and he signs with Cleveland...

ducks
09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
It would be pretty ironic if Utah agreed to rescind the contract and he signs with Cleveland...
I would bet utah would make sure he would not be able to sign in the nba

Bruno
09-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't know the whole story between Kirilenko and Utah and that's why I won't put the crybaby label on Kirilenko before reasons why Kirilenko act like this are known.

Kirilenko main problem in Utah is that he doesn't play at his position. Kirilenko is a PF, not a SF. Just put Kirilenko at the PF spot and you will solve a lot of his troubles.

Whisky Dog
09-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know the whole story between Kirilenko and Utah and that's why I won't put the crybaby label on Kirilenko before reasons why Kirilenko act like this are known.

Kirilenko main problem in Utah is that he doesn't play at his position. Kirilenko is a PF, not a SF. Just put Kirilenko at the PF spot and you will solve a lot of his troubles.

Where do you put Boozer?

Bruno
09-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Where do you put Boozer?

That's why Kirilenko should be traded.

T Park
09-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Kirilenko is the perfect Small ball 4.

Too bad he makes that much and has the mental strength of Rasho.

duncan228
09-21-2007, 10:36 PM
He's still trying to get out. He'll take anything.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/09/21/bc.bkn.jazz.kirilenko.ap/index.html

Kirilenko still wants trade
Jazz forward has three years left on contract

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Disgruntled forward Andrei Kirilenko is apparently willing to accept any option that will get him away from Utah.

Whether he really has any choices will be up to the Jazz.

Kirilenko repeated his trade request to a Russian newspaper, saying he is unhappy playing the structured style Utah coach Jerry Sloan demands. Unfortunately for Kirilenko, the $86 million deal he signed three years ago has him under contract with the Jazz through 2011.

"For the past two years I've been going on the court and acting like a robot," Kirilenko told Russia's Sport-Express in a story published Friday. "When I signed my contract the future looked completely different -- I thought I would play, win and get pleasure from it. Unfortunately, this is out of the question now -- even in successful games. This is the worst feeling."

Kirilenko, who just led Russia to the European championship, said he is even considering leaving the NBA and signing with a European team. But he can't do that while Utah still holds his rights.

And the Jazz may not be very agreeable when Kirilenko's request is based primarily on his deteriorated relationship with Sloan, who is entering his 20th season as Utah's coach. The team's only comment since Kirilenko went public this week has been that he is under contract and expected to be there when practice begins on Oct. 2.

Even team owner Larry Miller, who is openly critical when he's not happy with a player, is not commenting on Kirilenko's request.

Unless Kirilenko and agent Marc Fleisher, who did not return messages Friday, can work out a buyout or persuade the Jazz to trade him, Kirilenko's only options will be to sit out or return for a seventh season in Utah.

"Anyway, while my contract with the Jazz is in place, I don't have the right to negotiate," Kirilenko said. "I think there will be offers. But it's meaningless to talk about that now."

ducks
09-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Williams not worried about A.K.
By Loren Jorgensen
Deseret Morning News
Published: September 22, 2007
Andrei Kirilenko isn't talking, but one of his teammates was Friday.
In an interview on 1280 The Zone's "Big Show," Jazz point guard Deron Williams made it clear he thinks the Jazz need Kirilenko, but he also directed some criticism at the former All-Star who has made it known he wants out of Utah.

"It would definitely hurt us," Williams said of the possibility of losing Kirilenko. "But at the same time, you don't want to sit across in the locker room from somebody who doesn't want to be there."

Williams did say Kirilenko's recent comments are "just words" and that he expected his teammate to be in camp.

"He can be a special player for us," Williams said. "There's not too many guys in the NBA that can fill up a stat sheet like he can."

The third-year point guard, however, also alluded to Kirilenko's work ethic.

"You see guys, you see Booz (Carlos Boozer) after practice shooting for 25-30 minutes, you see Memo (Mehmet Okur) shooting for 20 minutes, you see all the rookies, the young guys, you see Hafa (Rafael Araujo) in there working, and you see Andrei being the first guy out the door," Williams said. "He's coming off a screen on one side, and Matt Harpring's coming off a screen on one side, who do you think you're gonna pass to? You think you're gonna pass to the guy you see working every day in the gym? Or you gonna pass to the guy who never works on his shot but wants to shoot ... "Kirilenko, apparently told by his agent to avoid any more interviews or controversy for the time being, has gone more than a day now without telling a Russian news agency about his desire to leave the Utah Jazz.

But the damage has been done. Kirilenko, in no uncertain terms, has said he doesn't want to play for the Jazz — or, more specifically, for Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. He would like to be traded to another NBA team, but if that doesn't happen, he told Russian newspaper Sport Express that he would be willing to walk away from his contract — a deal that still has four years and $63 million remaining on it.

Williams, however, doesn't see that happening.

"I don't see anybody walking away from $60 million," he said.

Kirilenko has also said he would be willing to stay and play in Europe, preferably his native Russia. He is a national hero there, especially after earning MVP honors in leading the Russians to their first European championship in 22 years last week. He can't simply walk away from his Jazz contract to play in Russia, however, since European pro teams are bound by FIBA bylaws. For him to play in Europe, there would have to be some sort of buyout or agreement with the Jazz.

Jazz fans' reactions — in comments on the Deseret Morning News' Web site and on other message boards and talk radio — have been mixed. Some blame Kirilenko and say he should grow up, accept his role for the Jazz, keep cashing paychecks and be quiet. Others lay the blame on Sloan for being unable to keep the former all-star happy and productive. Some feel the Jazz should simply let him out of his contract. Others feel the team needs to take a hard line and either have him play here or get value back in the form of a trade with another NBA team.

For now, the Jazz's stance has been that they expect Kirilenko to show up for training camp, which starts with media day Oct. 1 in Salt Lake City and with practices in Boise on Oct. 2. If he doesn't show, he can be fined by the team and/or suspended. If he refuses to show up and the Jazz don't let him out of his contract, they wouldn't have to pay him, but his contract would still count against the Jazz for salary-cap purposes.

While Kirilenko, thanks to his max-money contract, would be tough to trade due to salary cap and salary match concerns, it certainly wouldn't be impossible.

"I'm not looking to trade Andrei Kirilenko," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said on Wednesday. "That being said — if we can improve our team, we won't hesitate to make a deal."

http://deseretnews.com/article/content/mobile/0,5223,695212283,00.html

wildbill2u
09-22-2007, 10:25 AM
You'll never see SA management on the wrong side of as bad a contract as this.

Bruno
09-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Dear Deron,

Thanks for lowering Kirilenko's trade value with your comments, it will really help us to get a good deal for him.

Signed : Utah Jazz front office.

diego
09-22-2007, 12:32 PM
ak really helped his trade value by playing like crap in the reg season, shriveling and crying in the PO's, then going to the media over the summer to cry about the coach who had the same job before he was born (hence, when he signed his contract).

and though i agree deron's comments dont help the situation, he is right- if any spur was planning his vacations before a series was over i'd want him off the team, and if your max player isnt setting an example to the rooks you cant expect to improve much.

stories like these make you appreciate our players even more.

ducks
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
A.K I bet is the one making vacations plan where playing spurs in playoffs

Indazone
09-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Williams not worried about A.K.
By Loren Jorgensen
Deseret Morning News
Published: September 22, 2007
Andrei Kirilenko isn't talking, but one of his teammates was Friday.
In an interview on 1280 The Zone's "Big Show," Jazz point guard Deron Williams made it clear he thinks the Jazz need Kirilenko, but he also directed some criticism at the former All-Star who has made it known he wants out of Utah.

"It would definitely hurt us," Williams said of the possibility of losing Kirilenko. "But at the same time, you don't want to sit across in the locker room from somebody who doesn't want to be there."

Williams did say Kirilenko's recent comments are "just words" and that he expected his teammate to be in camp.

"He can be a special player for us," Williams said. "There's not too many guys in the NBA that can fill up a stat sheet like he can."

The third-year point guard, however, also alluded to Kirilenko's work ethic.

"You see guys, you see Booz (Carlos Boozer) after practice shooting for 25-30 minutes, you see Memo (Mehmet Okur) shooting for 20 minutes, you see all the rookies, the young guys, you see Hafa (Rafael Araujo) in there working, and you see Andrei being the first guy out the door," Williams said. "He's coming off a screen on one side, and Matt Harpring's coming off a screen on one side, who do you think you're gonna pass to? You think you're gonna pass to the guy you see working every day in the gym? Or you gonna pass to the guy who never works on his shot but wants to shoot ... "Kirilenko, apparently told by his agent to avoid any more interviews or controversy for the time being, has gone more than a day now without telling a Russian news agency about his desire to leave the Utah Jazz.

But the damage has been done. Kirilenko, in no uncertain terms, has said he doesn't want to play for the Jazz — or, more specifically, for Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. He would like to be traded to another NBA team, but if that doesn't happen, he told Russian newspaper Sport Express that he would be willing to walk away from his contract — a deal that still has four years and $63 million remaining on it.

Williams, however, doesn't see that happening.

"I don't see anybody walking away from $60 million," he said.

Kirilenko has also said he would be willing to stay and play in Europe, preferably his native Russia. He is a national hero there, especially after earning MVP honors in leading the Russians to their first European championship in 22 years last week. He can't simply walk away from his Jazz contract to play in Russia, however, since European pro teams are bound by FIBA bylaws. For him to play in Europe, there would have to be some sort of buyout or agreement with the Jazz.

Jazz fans' reactions — in comments on the Deseret Morning News' Web site and on other message boards and talk radio — have been mixed. Some blame Kirilenko and say he should grow up, accept his role for the Jazz, keep cashing paychecks and be quiet. Others lay the blame on Sloan for being unable to keep the former all-star happy and productive. Some feel the Jazz should simply let him out of his contract. Others feel the team needs to take a hard line and either have him play here or get value back in the form of a trade with another NBA team.

For now, the Jazz's stance has been that they expect Kirilenko to show up for training camp, which starts with media day Oct. 1 in Salt Lake City and with practices in Boise on Oct. 2. If he doesn't show, he can be fined by the team and/or suspended. If he refuses to show up and the Jazz don't let him out of his contract, they wouldn't have to pay him, but his contract would still count against the Jazz for salary-cap purposes.

While Kirilenko, thanks to his max-money contract, would be tough to trade due to salary cap and salary match concerns, it certainly wouldn't be impossible.

"I'm not looking to trade Andrei Kirilenko," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said on Wednesday. "That being said — if we can improve our team, we won't hesitate to make a deal."

http://deseretnews.com/article/content/mobile/0,5223,695212283,00.html

Hmm shades of JVG and Spanoulis. It's the Bobby Knight, JVG, Sloan, Larry Brown school of coaching my way or the highway class. These guys are dinosaurs. Their way of coaching doesn't work anymore. I say get rid of the lot of em.

Trainwreck2100
09-23-2007, 12:02 AM
You'll never see SA management on the wrong side of as bad a contract as this.

Malik and Rasho were pretty bad.

Indazone
09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
All these Euro guys should know. You don't come to the NBA and sign a contract for teams with the following coaches. Jeff Van Gundy, Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan, Stan Van Gundy, Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas, Mussellman, Rick Carlisle. Aside from that, all the other coaches are pretty fair and will give the Euro's a chance.

wildbill2u
09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Malik and Rasho were pretty bad.
They were pretty bad contracts, but not so bad they couldn't be unloaded. At 13,000,000 per year or whatever, AK is too risky a proposition for most teams.

Scola Trade
09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
:clap Totally agree:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=10fCRPyCf2E