recallitis!

Print This Article thestate.com Back to web version
Wednesday, Sep 19, 2007
Posted on Wed, Sep. 19, 2007
Jackson criticizes Obama
Presidential candidate’s response to Jena, La., case called too weak
By RODDIE A. BURRIS
[email protected]

The Rev. Jesse Jackson called Tuesday on Democrats seeking the 2008 nomination for president to give S.C. voters “something to vote for” when they go to the polls in January.

On a statewide tour to register new voters, Jackson said South Carolina will determine “who has momentum” in the primary when it votes Jan. 29.

Jackson sharply criticized presidential hopeful and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for “acting like he’s white” in what Jackson said has been a tepid response to six black juveniles’ arrest on attempted-murder charges in Jena, La. Jackson, who also lives in Illinois, endorsed Obama in March, according to The Associated Press.

“If I were a candidate, I’d be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.

“Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment,” said the iconic civil rights figure, who worked with Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1965 Selma civil rights movement and was with King at his 1968 assassination.

Later, Jackson said he did not recall making the “acting like he’s white” comment about Obama, stressing he only wanted to point out the candidates had not seized on an opportunity to highlight the disproportionate criminal punishments black youths too often face.

Jackson also said Obama, who consistently has placed second in state and national polls behind New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, must be “bolder” in his political positions if he is to erase Clinton’s lead.

Jackson is the only African-American ever to carry South Carolina in a presidential primary election.

Obama’s South Carolina campaign pointed to a statement it released last week in which Obama called on the local Louisiana district attorney to drop the excessive charges brought in the case.

“When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it’s a tragedy,” the Obama statement said. “It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions.”

Thousands from across the country, including some from Columbia, are expected to converge on the small town of Jena today to protest the “Jena 6” arrests.

Jackson told the 500 to 600 students in his audience at Benedict that “criminal injustice,” instead of a rope, is the pressing civil rights issue of their day, but that voting remained their strongest ally.

“Your fight is not about ropes, it’s about hope,” Jackson said, blasting the flood of guns and violence he said permeates many black communities.

Civil rights, he said, has become the counterculture of the day rather than the prevailing culture. “You can’t call on the Justice Department anymore; it’s not there.”

Jackson, who became only the second major black candidate to run for president, won five primaries in his 1984 bid for the office, then 11 primaries and nearly 7 million votes in his 1988 run.

He said the 2008 presidential candidates must speak most directly to the pressing S.C. issues of housing, high tuition costs, health care and a plan to end the war in Iraq.

“The candidates have got to speak to South Carolina,” said Jackson, who was traveling also to S.C. State University in Orangeburg and to Charleston Tuesday evening before wrapping up his registration drive tonight in Aiken.

A Greenville native, Jackson said he hoped to register thousands of new voters during the statewide swing, which began Saturday in Rock Hill.

“Their votes must equal change,” he said, referring to residents in a state where only 1 in 4 eligible voters go to the polls. “I want to make sure the right agenda is being voted on in 2008.”

His approach worked for senior mass-communications major Darius Dior Porcher, 21, who graduated from famed Scotts Branch High School in Clarendon County, which produced the Briggs v. Elliott school desegregation case of 1954.

“The main thing when you speak to students is to get them to move,” Porcher said. “He moved students today. He got them to come down to the floor and register to vote.”

Reach Burris at (803) 771-8398.
© 2007 TheState.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.thestate.com

Oh, Gee!!
09-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Is this really newsworthy?

Signed,

Wild Cobra

xrayzebra
09-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Is this really newsworthy?

Signed,

Wild Cobra

OG, you posting for WC now?

DarkReign
09-19-2007, 10:48 AM
JJ is an idiot.

George Gervin's Afro
09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
JJ is an idiot.

I agree.

Nbadan
09-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Why, Jackson and Al Sharpton have a monopoly on the black vote!

:rolleyes

clambake
09-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Obama's black?

Nbadan
09-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Obama's black?

Dave Chappelle - Black Presidents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMf_FCYtg8)

Wild Cobra
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
OG, you posting for WC now?
I reall got under the grade schoolers skin, didn't I?

Wild Cobra
09-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I find it ironic that anytime a black man is well spoken, and doesn't cater to racism, he is a sellout to his people.

Wasn't the civil rights movement to better blacks? Not keep them down?

Wild Cobra
09-19-2007, 07:22 PM
no the civil rights movement wasn't to "better blacks"

how laughingly racist
No, I simply mispoke. Better blacks future...

Why must people ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK, instead of pointing out an error, and maybe asking for clarification?

Nbadan
09-19-2007, 07:24 PM
The civil rights movement was for racial equality...or at least, the perceived notion of racial equality...

Wild Cobra
09-19-2007, 07:33 PM
The civil rights movement was for racial equality...or at least, the perceived notion of racial equality...
Yes. That has been achieved in implementation. What hasn't been achieved is that blacks still blame us whites for their failure to secure the blessings of liberty. Many of them don't try, and blame others for their failures to even strive for it.

As for percieved inequality? That is the problem of the one with the perception. Not the rest of us.

clambake
09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes. That has been achieved in implementation. What hasn't been achieved is that blacks still blame us whites for their failure to secure the blessings of liberty. Many of them don't try, and blame others for their failures to even strive for it.

As for percieved inequality? That is the problem of the one with the perception. Not the rest of us.
yeah, thank god racism has been eliminated. whoever says it isn't must be a lame ass nigga.

Oh, Gee!!
09-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I reaaaaaaaaally like the grade schoolers skin, don't I?

you like to touch grade schoolers' skin? gross.

xrayzebra
09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
yeah, thank god racism has been eliminated. whoever says it isn't must be a lame ass nigga.

Guess not Jesse Jackson still think White people think
different that Black people. Obviously. And he would
be out of a job if racism is eliminated. Now wouldn't he?