PDA

View Full Version : Kirilenko Pulls A Kobe

monosylab1k
09-19-2007, 09:46 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-61/Speak-Russian--Neither-Does-Jerry-Sloan.html

Andrei Kirilenko has apparently asked to be traded; a Russian-language tale that appears to have been written by Kirilenko himself was published yesterday on the website Sports.ru. Here it is in the original Russian. And here, with the kind of brilliant comedic timing you could not fabricate, is some of that same story as translated by Google:

For the week to come to the club, but if honest, special joy on this occasion did not have. Last season was disappointing for me and very seriously disappointed. Many thought about it and came to the decision - I want to leave the "Concept". European soccer ended was a peculiar litmus test, and it was all for me to their seats.

Coach Sloan is one of the reasons, but not the only one. Six of the NBA years, I, of course, has enormous experience. It is clear that the NBA-strongest league world. Every game makes you better as a player only because it is a challenge. Call for battle. Such conditions zakalyayut. All these words have been fair to me, except for the last two seasons. I now feel that progressiruyu not as a player. I try, but fails. 5 40NB. Do not give. Do not get support coach and the club. I am convinced that the methods Sloan had a negative impact on me. His main method of motivating players - care guilt. Our wages, our mistakes in the games, our actions outside the track is always cause for criticism. I want to play basketball, I want to enjoy it and not be a robot, piece of Sloan. Therefore, do not see their future in the team, "Utah Jazz."

Take that, you robot piece of Sloan.

Kirilenko (or someone posing as Kirilenko) also writes about how much he loved playing for David Blatt. He contrasts that experience with how much he does not enjoy playing for Sloan.

Ross Siler of the Salt Lake Tribune has enjoyed actual human translation, and wrote an informative story based on it. An excerpt:

Kirilenko also revealed that he talked to Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, a few weeks ago and asked to be traded. O'Connor said Tuesday that he had spoken with Kirilenko but declined to comment on what was said.

"What you're trying to do is overall look at the success he's had with us,'' O'Connor said. "He has a long-term contract with us and I don't think we would have given him a contract like that if we weren't confident he'd be here."

Kirilenko is required to report for camp by Oct. 1 and O'Connor said, "We explained to him when everybody was supposed to be back and we expect him to be here."

The Jazz would face sizable obstacles in trying to trade Kirilenko, their highest-paid player owed $63 million through the 2010-11 season. They also face untold distractions as they open the season trying to build off a conference finals appearance.

Of his conversation with O'Connor, Kirilenko wrote, "I told him that I don't see myself in the team and want to leave." He added: "I don't want myself and my contract to be a burden for the club. I want the club to continue in its own direction."

But Kirilenko wrote that he hadn't heard back from O'Connor or the organization in a week, which he took as a sign of disrespect.

Plenty of people are not high on Kirilenko. I am not one of them. Back then the Blazers still had Zach Randolph, and it wasn't clear what they were going to do with him, I was keen on the idea that they might swap him for AK-47. Why? Of course, a big part of the reason is because Kirilenko plays hard all over the court, is long like a piece of spaghetti, and has a ton of skill. But mainly because he has an unbelievable knack for getting his hand where the ball is. He can strip you, he can block you, he can pick up the loose ball, he can grab the rebound. He can just get that ball better than most, and players like that are disheartening to play against. He is also willing to work hard to improve his shooting stroke, while being willing to be the team's third or fourth scoring option.

Let me share something with you about Andrei Kirilenko, the professional. Consider this account, from coach Dan Barto, of running Kirilenko's workouts last summer:

I had the pleasure of working with Andrei for a little over six weeks last summer. Upon meeting him he stated his goals for what he wanted to accomplish and why. In no uncertain terms he knew what was going to happen both with the Jazz this past season and with the Russian National Team this summer.

Stating "things (with the Jazz) are going to change for me because our team is going to win by pounding people off ball screens and defending. My opportunities are going to come in transition like always, spot ups and some isolation/mismatch. I will be the fourth option and I have to do what is best for my team."

He talked about his skill improvement and shooting both off of the catch and dribble "a couple years" process where he would probably fail numerous times to successfully implement them, but would eventually master them and increase the length of his career and value.

He stated that the summer of '06 was his first summer of not playing with the national team because he needed to rest. With the playoffs, international play and being an NBA starter, he would play more minutes than anyone in the world from October through next training camp. Also he talked about trying to get his body right since he dealt with so many injuries in the past. With the FIBA qualifiers and Olympics over the next two summers this would be his only chance to do that.

These were not ingenious concepts, but so few players are able to look at the scope of 12 months with such precision, honesty and hunger, let alone 3 years. Over the next six weeks Andrei would teach me so much about the international game, being a "professional" and how many different ways "dawg" could be used in the English language.

Utah fan and TrueHoop reader Doug emails to say:

For all of us Jazz fans who have been thinking it would be best if Kirilenko and the Jazz parted ways,it finally looks like its happening. But now that he has demanded a trade ... we'll get almost nothing for him. I wish the Jazz would have stepped up and gotten something done to get the Matrix; especially if its true that Andrei spoke with Kevin O'Connor privately about this two weeks ago before going public. Regardless whether Marion liked Utah or not, it was a much shorter term contract and would have allowed the Jazz to have a solid 3 during his remaining years.

Here is some Andrei Kirilenko information you have to see to understand.

What happens now? Will the Jazz move him? It takes two to tango, and it's no secret the Jazz are ready to dance. Even the owner has admitted as much. The Tribune's Ross Siler wrote this on his blog back in June:

In case you missed it, Andrei Kirilenko has a contract worth $63 million that makes him difficult, if not impossible, to trade. Larry Miller admitted as much Thursday on the radio. Yet Sloan and Miller have each taken their shots at Kirilenko this week -- a player who most likely is going to wind up back with the Jazz next season.

Looking for one other team ... We have heard it might be the Suns, right? If they are really concerned that Shawn Marion might walk away for nothing when he can opt out next summer, perhaps they really would consider getting Kirilenko (who is cheaper per season, but has a hefty four years left). Any other ideas about what might work? Get trading.

Medvedenko
09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Leverage is a bitch....EURO MVP...please trade me....

monosylab1k
09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
could the Mavericks go after him?

confined
09-19-2007, 04:07 PM
well with the mavericks abundance of wings, and the jazz lack of, it should be a possiblity

mavsfan1000
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
What's with all these nba players demanding trades? Who do they think they are? If that team is paying you that much, you better do your best.

JamStone
09-19-2007, 04:57 PM

They'd surely require Josh Howard to be part of the deal, probably Diop too. The Mavs don't really have anything else that the Jazz would be interested in to make a deal happen.

SpursIndonesia
09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't think the Jazz can be picky in this matter, yes Kirilenko got some leverage this summer, but that's simply not enough to cover Kirilenko bad reps gained in the past 2 NBA seasons. IMHO, the best deal they can get would be a 2nd tier player with some salary cap relieve in terms of an ending contract or two -hopefully a future draft pick to boot.

stretch
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
They'd surely require Josh Howard to be part of the deal, probably Diop too. The Mavs don't really have anything else that the Jazz would be interested in to make a deal happen.
Thats ridiculous. Howard is far better than AK47 ever will be.

BacktoBasics
09-20-2007, 02:36 PM
His contract makes him nearly untradable.

atxrocker
09-20-2007, 06:35 PM

the only thing ridiculous is that statement.

TLWisfoine
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM

I love Josh, but a wing player is much easier to come by than a player that is 6'9 with a 7'0 foot wingspan, who can guard pretty much anybody on the court, is a good ballhandler, and has shown that when absolutely neccessary, he can play point for a stretch of time.

zekes
09-21-2007, 01:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3029816

Report: Kirilenko 'ready' to leave NBA, $63M contract

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Andrei Kirilenko is so prepared to leave the Utah Jazz, he's willing to forsake the remaining $63 million of his contract to play overseas.

According to a translation by The Salt Lake Tribune, Kirilenko said in an interview with the Russian newspaper Sport Express that he is prepared to go without the money remaining on his NBA contract to get away from the Jazz.

According to the Tribune, Kirilenko is quoted in the Russian newspaper as saying: "I just want to explain to everybody what I think and feel and that I could sacrifice my career with the NBA. The only thing I'm not prepared for is if I'm told, 'Andrei, we want you to stay anyway.' I'm sure then the next season would be a repetition of the previous one, and what will the fans say then? How could you possibly rely on a player who wants to leave?"

Kirilenko, who is under contract through the 2010-11 season, told Sport Express he thinks the chances of his contract being voided are small. But he remains steadfast in his desire to leave Utah, even if it means playing on a worse team, NBA or otherwise.

"I have never been unfair and I don't want to enjoy something that I don't deserve," Kirilenko told Sport Express. "Big money is obviously good, but I am prepared to make less. The size of my salary doesn't mean that much for me. The main thing is to play with a spark."

He says he would like to play in Russia, although as long as he is under contract with Utah, that cannot happen as NBA and FIBA teams must honor each other's contracts. Kirilenko starred for CSKA Moscow in the Euroleague before coming to the NBA, but he says he'd also consider other European teams.

"I would like to be where I am needed and right now I feel that my country needs me," Kirilenko told Sport Express. "But I cannot exclude some European clubs. Trust me, I really am prepared to leave NBA. It certainly does not mean that I'm dying to go to Europe. I'm just ready."

Kirilenko could face a fine or suspension by the Jazz if he fails to report to camp on Oct. 1.

He contrasted his displeasure with Jazz coach Jerry Sloan with the experience he had with Russian coach David Blatt during the recent European Basketball Tournament. Russia won the tournament and Kirilenko was named MVP.

"Last year, we had a conversation with him," Kirilenko told Sport Express "and Sloan said, 'Andrei, if you don't like something about the way I conduct training you could always break the contract with the Jazz.' So that's exactly what I want to do now!"

Kirilenko doesn't want to lose another year or two playing for Sloan and told Sport Express he talked with Jazz owner Larry Miller while he was in Spain for the European Basketball Tournament.

"It seems like Larry understood me," Kirilenko said. "But he will make the final decision himself, obviously."

Roxsfan
09-21-2007, 01:09 AM

Yep

Cry Havoc
09-21-2007, 01:28 AM
I love Josh, but a wing player is much easier to come by than a player that is 6'9 with a 7'0 foot wingspan, who can guard pretty much anybody on the court, is a good ballhandler, and has shown that when absolutely neccessary, he can play point for a stretch of time.

Yes. Because Cherokee Parks > Michael Jordan.

I mean, hey, he's a big guy, right?

atxrocker
09-21-2007, 01:58 AM
did you just compare howard to jordan?

mavs>spurs2
09-21-2007, 03:41 AM
Contrary to what some people that don't know shit about basketball believe, Kirilenko is actually not a very good defender. His defense consists of getting taken off the dribble by his man and hoping to get a block from behind with his long arms. Sure he gets a block or 2 a game that might look nice to your casual ignorant fan but he isn't shutting anyone down.

monosylab1k
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM

I mean, hey, he's a big guy, right?
are you fucking retarded? Did Cherokee Parks have the talent & athleticism of Kirilenko?

A player with good size who has Kirilenko's skill set could very easily be considered more valuable than a good swingman because the 6-5 to 6-7 swingmen are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Meanwhile, name me 5 players who can score, defend, rebound, & pass like Kirilenko with his size. Hint: Cherokee Parks isn't a good answer.

monosylab1k
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Kirilenko is the only player that I can think of in recent memory that has recorded a 5-banger (i dunno what the correct term is. at least 5 points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals all in one game. he's got his faults but he's fucking talented and comparing him to Cherokee Parks might be the stupidest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

EDIT: It's called a five-by-five and the only players to do it more than once in NBA history are Olajuwon and Kirilenko. Suck it.

Findog
09-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Mavs aren't stupid enough to do that. The Jazz can have Dampier, the salaries would work.

BacktoBasics
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM

I mean, hey, he's a big guy, right?I get what you're trying to say. You need to remember most people here don't have the scope to get your point. He's not making a direct comparison to Cherokee, it could have been any big man with a long wingspan...empty space insert name.

monosylab1k
09-21-2007, 09:14 AM
He's not making a direct comparison to Cherokee, it could have been any big man with a long wingspan...empty space insert name.
Not every big man has the skills that Kirilenko has. Nobody on here will take any idiot who's tall with a big wingspan, but someone who's tall with a big wingspan who can also score, rebound, pass, & defend at Kirilenko's level is always greater than a run of the mill swingman.

And this isn't even saying Kirilenko > Howard.....just that it's easy to see why somebody would think that.

I really don't know what was more stupid, comparing Kirilenko to Cherokee Parks or comparing Josh Howard to Jordan.

stretch
09-21-2007, 09:30 AM
He also showed that he nuts up very easily as well, and cries like a little faggot in practice. Give me Howard anyday.

stretch
09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Contrary to what some people that don't know shit about basketball believe, Kirilenko is actually not a very good defender. His defense consists of getting taken off the dribble by his man and hoping to get a block from behind with his long arms. Sure he gets a block or 2 a game that might look nice to your casual ignorant fan but he isn't shutting anyone down.
I was about to say the same exact thing. He's a decent defender, but he relies too much on the block. He isn't a shut down defender like Bruce Bowen is. I don't even think his defense is better than Howard's.

SpursIndonesia
09-21-2007, 10:23 AM
If motivated & in a good playing spell, i think AK47 and JHo are in the same tier of elite players. But considering their contract value, age, health, & mental strength, i'll take JHo over the Russian leaper.

O-Factor
09-21-2007, 11:47 AM
He doesn't deserve to be called AK47 anymore....maybe squirtgun.

Medvedenko
09-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I like AK better than Howard...but Ak's last couple of seasons have been sub par and needs a change of scenery. Still, Howard I feel has a better head on his shoulders and probably a better team guy.

duncan228
09-21-2007, 10:39 PM
He's still trying to get out. He'll take anything.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/09/21/bc.bkn.jazz.kirilenko.ap/index.html

Kirilenko still wants trade
Jazz forward has three years left on contract

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Disgruntled forward Andrei Kirilenko is apparently willing to accept any option that will get him away from Utah.

Whether he really has any choices will be up to the Jazz.

Kirilenko repeated his trade request to a Russian newspaper, saying he is unhappy playing the structured style Utah coach Jerry Sloan demands. Unfortunately for Kirilenko, the $86 million deal he signed three years ago has him under contract with the Jazz through 2011.

"For the past two years I've been going on the court and acting like a robot," Kirilenko told Russia's Sport-Express in a story published Friday. "When I signed my contract the future looked completely different -- I thought I would play, win and get pleasure from it. Unfortunately, this is out of the question now -- even in successful games. This is the worst feeling."

Kirilenko, who just led Russia to the European championship, said he is even considering leaving the NBA and signing with a European team. But he can't do that while Utah still holds his rights.

And the Jazz may not be very agreeable when Kirilenko's request is based primarily on his deteriorated relationship with Sloan, who is entering his 20th season as Utah's coach. The team's only comment since Kirilenko went public this week has been that he is under contract and expected to be there when practice begins on Oct. 2.

Even team owner Larry Miller, who is openly critical when he's not happy with a player, is not commenting on Kirilenko's request.

Unless Kirilenko and agent Marc Fleisher, who did not return messages Friday, can work out a buyout or persuade the Jazz to trade him, Kirilenko's only options will be to sit out or return for a seventh season in Utah.

"Anyway, while my contract with the Jazz is in place, I don't have the right to negotiate," Kirilenko said. "I think there will be offers. But it's meaningless to talk about that now."

TheAuthority
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Kirilenko is unquestionably the better defender -- head and shoulders above Howard. His contract is awful though, obviously. I think Howard's game goes better with Dirk's, too.

ducks
09-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Williams not worried about A.K.
By Loren Jorgensen
Deseret Morning News
Published: September 22, 2007
Andrei Kirilenko isn't talking, but one of his teammates was Friday.
In an interview on 1280 The Zone's "Big Show," Jazz point guard Deron Williams made it clear he thinks the Jazz need Kirilenko, but he also directed some criticism at the former All-Star who has made it known he wants out of Utah.

"It would definitely hurt us," Williams said of the possibility of losing Kirilenko. "But at the same time, you don't want to sit across in the locker room from somebody who doesn't want to be there."

Williams did say Kirilenko's recent comments are "just words" and that he expected his teammate to be in camp.

"He can be a special player for us," Williams said. "There's not too many guys in the NBA that can fill up a stat sheet like he can."

The third-year point guard, however, also alluded to Kirilenko's work ethic.

"You see guys, you see Booz (Carlos Boozer) after practice shooting for 25-30 minutes, you see Memo (Mehmet Okur) shooting for 20 minutes, you see all the rookies, the young guys, you see Hafa (Rafael Araujo) in there working, and you see Andrei being the first guy out the door," Williams said. "He's coming off a screen on one side, and Matt Harpring's coming off a screen on one side, who do you think you're gonna pass to? You think you're gonna pass to the guy you see working every day in the gym? Or you gonna pass to the guy who never works on his shot but wants to shoot ... "Kirilenko, apparently told by his agent to avoid any more interviews or controversy for the time being, has gone more than a day now without telling a Russian news agency about his desire to leave the Utah Jazz.

But the damage has been done. Kirilenko, in no uncertain terms, has said he doesn't want to play for the Jazz — or, more specifically, for Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. He would like to be traded to another NBA team, but if that doesn't happen, he told Russian newspaper Sport Express that he would be willing to walk away from his contract — a deal that still has four years and $63 million remaining on it.

Williams, however, doesn't see that happening.

"I don't see anybody walking away from $60 million," he said.

Kirilenko has also said he would be willing to stay and play in Europe, preferably his native Russia. He is a national hero there, especially after earning MVP honors in leading the Russians to their first European championship in 22 years last week. He can't simply walk away from his Jazz contract to play in Russia, however, since European pro teams are bound by FIBA bylaws. For him to play in Europe, there would have to be some sort of buyout or agreement with the Jazz.

Jazz fans' reactions — in comments on the Deseret Morning News' Web site and on other message boards and talk radio — have been mixed. Some blame Kirilenko and say he should grow up, accept his role for the Jazz, keep cashing paychecks and be quiet. Others lay the blame on Sloan for being unable to keep the former all-star happy and productive. Some feel the Jazz should simply let him out of his contract. Others feel the team needs to take a hard line and either have him play here or get value back in the form of a trade with another NBA team.

For now, the Jazz's stance has been that they expect Kirilenko to show up for training camp, which starts with media day Oct. 1 in Salt Lake City and with practices in Boise on Oct. 2. If he doesn't show, he can be fined by the team and/or suspended. If he refuses to show up and the Jazz don't let him out of his contract, they wouldn't have to pay him, but his contract would still count against the Jazz for salary-cap purposes.

While Kirilenko, thanks to his max-money contract, would be tough to trade due to salary cap and salary match concerns, it certainly wouldn't be impossible.

"I'm not looking to trade Andrei Kirilenko," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said on Wednesday. "That being said — if we can improve our team, we won't hesitate to make a deal."

http://deseretnews.com/article/cont...5212283,00.html

SpursIndonesia
09-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Kirilenko is unquestionably the better defender -- head and shoulders above Howard. His contract is awful though, obviously. I think Howard's game goes better with Dirk's, too.

Unquestionably better HELP, weakside defender. I'll take JHo any day of the week to guard other perimeter players as a SF over Kirilenko slow footed perimeter D.

TheAuthority
09-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Unquestionably better HELP, weakside defender. I'll take JHo any day of the week to guard other perimeter players as a SF over Kirilenko slow footed perimeter D.

Yeah, I'm definitely taking a guy that can guard 1 position as opposed to a guy that can guard all 5. Nice sense. You'd make a keen GM.

Indazone
09-23-2007, 06:30 AM
If I was the Mav's I do that in a sec. Lose Erica Dampier and Pickup AK47

Obstructed_View
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Wouldn't he have to rescind his trade demand and repeat it two or three times to actually "pull a Kobe"? In addition, I don't recall Kobe agreeing to give up any money for the opportunity to play elsewhere.

Technically, AK "pulled a Kobe" when he started blubbering after a loss.

SpursIndonesia
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely taking a guy that can guard 1 position as opposed to a guy that can guard all 5. Nice sense. You'd make a keen GM.

Well, Bowen's mostly perimeter defender only, do you count him in your theory ?

I'm not saying that Howard's in Bowen league perimeter D's speaking, but his good offensive repertoirs more than make it up for him as a complete wing player. I'd rather have one specialized guy who can do his job convincingly well than having a jack of all trades who's mentally weak & can't help the team when they need him the most -OVERPAID too.

SpursIndonesia
09-24-2007, 01:07 PM
If I was the Mav's I do that in a sec. Lose Erica Dampier and Pickup AK47

Yeah, considering his current value, Dumbpier is not all that bad oc compensation if they can get a draft pick to go along. Atleast he's a big body who can give them a different look downlow compared to what Memo has to offer on the court.

The Franchise
09-24-2007, 02:07 PM
If a grown ass man cries on national television over minutes he shouldn't be bold enough to ask for anything.Now he has the ordacity to demand a trade? :nope get your nuts to come back down from inside you first then MAYBE we can talk.