PDA

View Full Version : My New Hero

CuckingFunt
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Nebraska state senator sues God

Injunction sought against Him for allegedly causing deaths, making threats

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20827350/

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Sources/sourceAP.gif Updated: 6:51 p.m. PT Sept 17, 2007

LINCOLN, Neb. - The defendant in a state senator’s lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He’s everywhere.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he’s trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Chambers says in his lawsuit that God has made terrorist threats against the senator and his constituents, inspired fear and caused “widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants.”

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused “fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes.”

He’s seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty.

Suit in protest
Chambers said the lawsuit was triggered by a federal suit filed against a judge who recently barred words such as “rape” and “victim” from a sexual assault trial.

The accuser in the criminal case, Tory Bowen, sued Lancaster District Judge Jeffre Cheuvront, claiming that he violated her free speech rights.

Chambers said Bowen’s lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

“This lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my lawsuit is appropriately filed,” Chambers said. “People might call it frivolous but if they read it they’ll see there are very serious issues I have raised.”

U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf, in an order last week, expressed doubts about whether Bowen’s lawsuit “has any legal basis whatsoever” and said sanctions may be imposed against Bowen and her attorneys if they fail to show cause for the lawsuit.

The Associated Press usually does not identify accusers in sex-assault cases, but Bowen has allowed her name to be used publicly because of the issue over the judge’s language restrictions.

Cheuvront declared a mistrial in the sexual assault trial in July, saying pretrial publicity made it impossible to gather enough impartial jurors.

© 2007 The Associated Press.

MoSpur
09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Loser

09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Because you don't like God, or the "sexual assault victim"?

CuckingFunt
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Because you don't like God, or the "sexual assault victim"?
Because I'm oddly fascinated by the combination of courage and stupidity it must take for a State Senator to file a friggin' lawsuit against God.

09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I get it....kinda.

Not really.

Carry on.

peewee's lovechild
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
My vote for President of The United States of America goes to Nebraska State Senator Ernie Chambers.

He is my new idol.

E20
09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
This guy is a fucking ............................MORON.

What kind of people would vote him as their senator. Good fucking God.

peewee's lovechild
09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
What kind of people would vote him as their senator. Good fucking God.

Apparently, the people of Nebraska.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Man, he's going to get a default judgment against God -- though doing so might result in a default judgment against him in the afterlife. It's not as if God is likely to make an appearance or move for summary judgment or anything like that.

Hmmmmm.

If he's able to prove up his damages, I wonder how he'll try to collect that judgment? Maybe against a televangelist who claims to be collecting money for God. He could make an argument, after all, that the money is God's and that he possesses a judgment showing that God owes him money.

This might actually be the most brilliant get-rich scheme ever concocted!!

clambake
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM

Avitus1
09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
What a way to use the states resources...

T Park
09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah that pretty much officially puts the country in the shitter.

Absolutely fantastic.

BacktoBasics
09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
What a way to use the states resources...Thats the point he's trying to make.

Can we make this a class action?

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Thats the point he's trying to make.

Can we make this a class action?

I'm in.

Mister Sinister
09-20-2007, 11:36 AM
.....Holy, SHIT, I want to hit myself in the head with a tire iron nao.

The Point
09-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Absolutely fantastic.
Whoosh! I just keep flying by you. Try not to miss me next time.

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
God is what's wrong with this country.

We should look into communism.
Hey, it's worked for the Chinese.

Mister Sinister
09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
God is what's wrong with this country.

We should look into communism.
Hey, it's worked for the Chinese.
No. No. Just...for the love of fuck, no.

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 11:43 AM
No. No. Just...for the love of fuck, no.

Seriously, we should give it a try.

This God-thing this country has been on hasn't worked for shit. So, it's time for something new.

King
Just a few millimeters below the title, there's an article there, guys. Perhaps you should give reading it a shot.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he’s trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Mister Sinister
Communism is a good idea. On paper. Nowhere else. It's one of those things that works in theory, but when you throw people into the mix, it goes straight to hell.

The Point
09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Just a few millimeters below the title, there's an article there, guys. Perhaps you should give reading it a shot.
Yay! One person in this thread didn't miss me! :clap

Mister Sinister
09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
This just in: Nobody gives a fuck!

FromWayDowntown
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Absolutely fantastic.

Did you read the story or did you just stick to the headline?

The story demonstrates that this state legislator is trying to make a serious point about frivolous lawsuits by taking the exercise to an extreme. I would imagine that the suit has been or will be mirrored by an effort to create stronger laws in favor of limiting patently frivolous lawsuits, but it never hurts to create some publicity on your side if you're going to try to pass such a law.

This legislator obviously does not think that existing laws (monetary penalties, mostly) do enough to curb frivolous suits and wants to change that. He's done it with a lightning rod issue, obviously, and that may ultimately detract from his message, but his point is one that should resonate with citizens who think that lawyers are a bunch of scumbags. If the citizens are in a frenzy about it, they might contact their legislators and that might be enough to get the law changed.

I'm not sure that the suit that gives rise to this stunt is one that I would call truly frivolous -- one must challenge an existing application of law to ever have it changed and I can see, to an extent, the First Amendment issues that the alleged sexual assault victim is making here.

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Communism is a good idea. On paper. Nowhere else. It's one of those things that works in theory, but when you throw people into the mix, it goes straight to hell.

It's worked in China.
Due to all the loans our government has taken out with Chinese banks, they'll own us in about 15-20 years.
So, it's not such a bad thing.

And, before anyone brings Cuba up . . . let me just say that they don't look like they're having such a bad time, what with all that dancing and singing they do to all that Salsa/Merengue music.

We could use a little more rythym.

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Sarcasm.
Look it up.

If you don't own a dictionary, you can always look it up on the internets.

King
This just in: Nobody gives a fuck!

Nobody cares that they look kind of stupid by complaining about something that is making the exact same point they're complaining about?

Then, by all means...

Mister Sinister
It's worked in China.
Due to all the loans our government has taken out with Chinese banks, they'll own us in about 15-20 years.
So, it's not such a bad thing.

And, before anyone brings Cuba up . . . let me just say that they don't look like they're having such a bad time, what with all that dancing and singing they do to all that Salsa/Merengue music.

We could use a little more rythym.
Trust me. Human nature won't allow communism to work properly, at least not in the US, because people are far too materialistic for it to work.

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Trust me. Human nature won't allow communism to work properly, at least not in the US, because people are far too materialistic for it to work.

Materialism is alive and working in China.

Plus, we can arrest and imprison all those crazy christians.

The Point
09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Sarcasm.
Look it up.

If you don't own a dictionary, you can always look it up on the internets.
Don't hide behind sarcasm after missing me!

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Don't hide behind sarcasm after missing me!

Idiocy.
Look it up.

If you don't have a dictionary, you can look it up on the internets.

The Point
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Idiocy.
Look it up.

If you don't have a dictionary, you can look it up on the internets.
No thanks. I've already learned more about you than I care!

Don't miss me next time! Goodbye!

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
No thanks. I've already learned more about you than I care!

Don't miss me next time! Goodbye!

Beautiful retort!!

I don't know how to come back from that one, but I'll try.

How's this:

I'm rubber, you're glue . . . .

T Park
09-20-2007, 12:24 PM
The story demonstrates that this state legislator is trying to make a serious point about frivolous lawsuits by taking the exercise to an extreme. I would imagine that the suit has been or will be mirrored by an effort to create stronger laws in favor of limiting patently frivolous lawsuits, but it never hurts to create some publicity on your side if you're going to try to pass such a law.

This legislator obviously does not think that existing laws (monetary penalties, mostly) do enough to curb frivolous suits and wants to change that. He's done it with a lightning rod issue, obviously, and that may ultimately detract from his message, but his point is one that should resonate with citizens who think that lawyers are a bunch of scumbags. If the citizens are in a frenzy about it, they might contact their legislators and that might be enough to get the law changed.

I'm not sure that the suit that gives rise to this stunt is one that I would call truly frivolous -- one must challenge an existing application of law to ever have it changed and I can see, to an extent, the First Amendment issues that the alleged sexual assault victim is making here.

If he in fact is attempting tort reform, then i applaud him to the highest.

If he though is on another atheist parade, then I stand by my original statement.

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 12:27 PM

If he though is on another atheist parade, then I stand by my original statement.

Either way it's funny as shit.

And, I'd like see god pay up just to hear him say, "Okay, but can you break a 50?"

FromWayDowntown
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM

It's not tort reform -- tort reform would be limiting or abolising suits aimed at recovering personal injury or property injury damages. It would appear that the sentaor is aimed at litigation reform, trying to more narrowly define what constitutes a frivolous suit.

I don't really support either effort, mostly I think that measures like tort reform and litigation reform pander to constituencies and really have a tendency to deprive those who've really been hurt of a meaningful avenue for obtaining remedies for those injuries. There are resources on the books already to do away with frivolous suits and with meritless claims; creating more rules won't make judges rule correctly.

Melmart1
09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
lawyers are a bunch of scumbags.
Well they are, aren't they? :devil

FromWayDowntown
09-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Well they are, aren't they? :devil

Yeah, I guess the truth is a defense.

:depressed

T Park
09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't really support either effort, mostly I think that measures like tort reform and litigation reform pander to constituencies and really have a tendency to deprive those who've really been hurt of a meaningful avenue for obtaining remedies for those injuries. There are resources on the books already to do away with frivolous suits and with meritless claims; creating more rules won't make judges rule correctly

Loser pays.

Institute it, and you fix it all IMO.

Im sure you'd disagree.

FromWayDowntown
09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Loser pays.

Institute it, and you fix it all IMO.

Im sure you'd disagree.

I do, because I don't think one's ability to seek remedies for his or her injuries should be determined by how wealthy he or she is.

Justice shouldn't be about how much money you already have -- if you're injured, you're injured; whether you are held liable for acting negligently should not be a function of happening to hit someone who couldn't afford to pay the costs associated with suit if the jury turns on him or her. And someone involved in a case that would be a close call, but one in which there are legitimate claims, should not be discouraged from seeking remedies for his or her injuries.

Ultimately, penalties exist for pursuing frivolous lawsuits and parties have means of defending against meritless claims. If you ask me, the system's two biggest flaws are that the penalties aren't implemented enough and too many parties (mostly insurers) are willing to settle questionable claims that become lawsuits. By settling even the most questionable claims, defendants encourage people to bring such claims; when courts aren't willing to impose penalties upon those who bring claims that are patently frivolous, the incentive to bring a suit grows -- particularly because most parties will settle the case.

All of that is to say that the problem isn't with rules that govern the system; the problem is with the people on all sides of the equation who are the routine players in the system.

ShoogarBear
09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Well they are, aren't they? :devil:nope Taking people's quotes out of context isn't nice.

Spurs>All
09-20-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20/suing.god.ap/index.html

LINCOLN, Nebraska (AP) -- A legislator who filed a lawsuit against God has gotten something he might not have expected: a response.

One of two court filings from "God" came Wednesday under otherworldly circumstances, according to John Friend, clerk of the Douglas County District Court in Omaha.

"This one miraculously appeared on the counter. It just all of a sudden was here -- poof!" Friend said.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha sued God last week, seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty for making terroristic threats, inspiring fear and causing "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic who often criticizes Christians, said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous. He said he's trying to make the point that anybody can sue anybody.

Not so, says "God." His response argues that the defendant is immune from some earthly laws and the court lacks jurisdiction.

It adds that blaming God for human oppression and suffering misses an important point.

"I created man and woman with free will and next to the promise of immortal life, free will is my greatest gift to you," according to the response, as read by Friend.

There was no contact information on the filing, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness, Friend said.

A second response from "God" disputing Chambers' allegations lists a phone number for a Corpus Christi law office. A message left for that office was not immediately returned Thursday.

Attempts to reach Chambers by phone and at his Capitol office Thursday were unsuccessful.

peewee's lovechild
09-21-2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20/suing.god.ap/index.html

LINCOLN, Nebraska (AP) -- A legislator who filed a lawsuit against God has gotten something he might not have expected: a response.

One of two court filings from "God" came Wednesday under otherworldly circumstances, according to John Friend, clerk of the Douglas County District Court in Omaha.

"This one miraculously appeared on the counter. It just all of a sudden was here -- poof!" Friend said.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha sued God last week, seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty for making terroristic threats, inspiring fear and causing "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic who often criticizes Christians, said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous. He said he's trying to make the point that anybody can sue anybody.

Not so, says "God." His response argues that the defendant is immune from some earthly laws and the court lacks jurisdiction.

It adds that blaming God for human oppression and suffering misses an important point.

"I created man and woman with free will and next to the promise of immortal life, free will is my greatest gift to you," according to the response, as read by Friend.

There was no contact information on the filing, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness, Friend said.

A second response from "God" disputing Chambers' allegations lists a phone number for a Corpus Christi law office. A message left for that office was not immediately returned Thursday.

Attempts to reach Chambers by phone and at his Capitol office Thursday were unsuccessful.

God needs a lawyer??

What a pussy.

Spurs>All
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
From Corpus Christi, no less. :lmao

peewee's lovechild
09-21-2007, 09:11 AM
From Corpus Christi, no less. :lmao

:lmao

Corpus Christi reeks respectability.

duncan228
09-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Still going on...

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=070921&cat=strange&st=stranged8rq85100&src=ap

'God' Gets an Attorney in Lawsuit
ANNA JO BRATTON

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - The mystery of one response to a lawsuit against God has been solved. Eric Perkins, an attorney in Corpus Christi, Texas, said Friday he filed a response to the lawsuit from Nebraska State Sen. Ernie Chambers. "It's kind of a turn on 'What would Jesus do?'" Perkins said. "I thought to myself, "what would God say?"

"Defendant denies that this or any court has jurisdiction ... over Him any more than the court has jurisdiction over the wind or rain, sunlight or darkness," according to Perkins' response.

As for Chambers' contention that God made terroristic threats, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization," Perkins wrote that God "contends that any harm or injury suffered is a direct and proximate result of mankind ignoring obvious warnings."

Perkins, who said he is a Christian, faxed one of at least two responses to Chambers' lawsuit. He said while he hopes the lawsuit was just a stunt by Chambers, "maybe his timing has something to do with world affairs. I'd hate to be that person who sat back and did nothing."

The problem of serving God a summons could land the lawsuit in the earthly scrap heap of failed legal actions.

But whether the issue goes before a judge may largely depend on how hard Chambers pushes the issue. The senator isn't asking that notice be served to God, but says in his lawsuit that if he doesn't get a summary judgment in the case, he wants a hearing _ "if the court deems such a hearing not to be a futile act."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic, said he's trying to makes the point that anybody can sue anybody. He said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous.

It's still not clear where a second response from "God" came from. There was no contact information on the filing, which turned up on the counter at the Douglas County Court office, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness.

Attempts to reach Chambers by phone Friday were unsuccessful.