PDA

View Full Version : Spurs To Retire Sean Elliott's Number

Kori Ellis
12-15-2004, 05:50 PM
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they will retire Sean Elliott's number. His No. 32 will be retired on March 6 when the Spurs host the Utah Jazz at the SBC Center.

"This is a humbling day," said Elliott, who was a member of the Spurs 1999 Championship team. "When I came to San Antonio 15 years ago I never would have dreamt that some day my number would be hanging up there with players like George Gervin and David Robinson. I'm honored and excited. But most of all I want to thank my family, all of my former teammates and coaches and, of course, all of the great fans for so many wonderful memories."

Elliott spent 11 of his 12 NBA seasons with the Spurs. He is San Antonio's all-time leader in three-point field goals made (with 563) and attempted (1,485). He also ranks among the Spurs regular season all-time leaders in games (third with 669), points (fourth with 9,659), rebounds (sixth with 2,941), assists (seventh with 1,700), steals (eighth with 522) and blocks (ninth with 257). Elliott is the only player in franchise history to rank among the top 10 in all seven of these categories. He also saw action in 85 playoff games with the Spurs which is the second most post-season appearances in franchise history behind David Robinson's 123.

Elliott was the starting small forward for the Spurs 1999 NBA Championship team. For the previous seven years he had suffered from focal glomerulosclerosis, a rare kidney disease. A month after the Spurs won the title - on July 21, 1999 - he announced that he would need to undergo a kidney transplant. On August 16, Elliott underwent a successful kidney transplant at the Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital in San Antonio, receiving his new kidney from his older brother Noel. After spending months working out on his own Elliott made NBA history on March 14 when he took the court against the Atlanta Hawks, becoming the first player in league history to return to action following a major organ transplant. Elliott appeared in 19 games during the 1999-2000 campaign and saw action in 52 games in 2000-01 before retiring in the summer of 2001.

Selected by the Spurs with the third overall pick in the 1989 NBA Draft, Elliott earned a spot on the 1990 All-Rookie Second Team. After spending his first four seasons with the Spurs, Elliott was traded to Detroit on October 1, 1993. But his stay with the Pistons was short. On July 19, 1994 - less than two months after Gregg Popovich was named the Spurs general manager - Elliott returned to San Antonio thanks to a trade put together by Popovich.

Elliott enjoyed his best season during the 1995-96 campaign averaging 20.0 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists. He made his second All-Star appearance (he was also selected as a reserve in 1993) and had 13 points and 5 rebounds in 22 minutes during the 1996 NBA All-Star Game which was held in San Antonio at the Alamodome.

The biggest shot in Elliott's career - and perhaps the most memorable play in Spurs history - came during the 1999 NBA Playoffs. On May 31 in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals he hit an off-balance 24-foot jumper from the corner - with his feet literally tip-toeing the out-of-bounds line - with 9.0 seconds left to give the Spurs an 86-85 win over the Portland Trail Blazers. Known today as the Memorial Day Miracle, the shot helped to propel the Spurs to their first NBA Championship.

"Sean Elliott represents what the Spurs organization is all about," said Spurs Chairman and CEO Peter Holt. "He was a tremendous player. He was a perfect teammate who always put the success of the team ahead of personal goals. But what he accomplished on the court only tells a small part of his story. He is a fighter, as he showed the world in how he dealt with his kidney transplant. He is a valued member of our community who has touched thousands of lives. He is a great father and husband. Most of all Sean Elliott is a good person. We are proud to retire his number and honor him for all that he has done for the Spurs and the city of San Antonio."

In his NBA career Elliott averaged 14.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 33.0 minutes in 742 regular season games.

For the last four seasons Elliott has served as a television analyst for both the Spurs and ESPN. In the summer of 2004 he left ESPN to become the full-time TV analyst for Spurs Broadcasting.

Elliott's No. 32 will be the fifth number retired in the Spurs 32-year history. He will join former greats George Gervin (No. 44), Johnny Moore (No. 00), David Robinson (No. 50) and James Silas (No. 13). Details for Elliott's retirement ceremony - which will take place following the Spurs-Jazz game on March 6 - will be announced at a later date.

timvp
Congrats.

P.S.

:shootme :shootme :shootme :shootme :shootme

ZStomp
Hell Yea!!!!!

King
12-15-2004, 05:51 PM
This is the huge news? Sort of paves the way for Malone.

Marcus Bryant
12-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Well that was a fun afternoon of speculation

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 05:52 PM
I told you!!!

You guys never listen to me.

T Park
March 6th??

Fuck you Spurs.

Shelly
Congrats to Sean, but this is 2 hours of my life I'll never get back...:lol

Manu20
Congrats to Elliot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Memorial. Day. Miracle.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2004, 05:53 PM
This has been a nice exercise.

King
12-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Wait....so we're stuck with Rasho, still?

T Park
Elliot

ELLIOTT ELLIOTT ELLIOTT ELLIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMNT PEOPLE!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
Damn the Spurs. This was the basketball equivalent of throwing down mad game on a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader all night long only to have Roy Williams show up at the end of the night and take her home.

Slo spurs fan
Fvck! Now I can go to :sleep .

Here is midnight man! O man, and i have to go to work tomorrow, no wait today, :shootme o my god!

timvp
12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Long live CIA Pop. Keeping the media honest.

:drunk

Marcus Bryant
12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Next up...http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/avery_030528_c.jpg

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
timvp, I demand an apology for you doubting me.

PM5K
12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Lame, This Is Not A Major Announcement

timvp
12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Next up...http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/avery_030528_c.jpg

No doubt.

ChumpDumper
Who wore #11 here that folks can wad their panties over?

SpursWoman
ELLIOTT ELLIOTT ELLIOTT ELLIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMNT PEOPLE!!!

IRONY IRONY IRONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) :lol

iminlakerland
awww congrads SE

Aggie Hoopsfan
Lame, This Is Not A Major Announcement

Welcome to smalltown SA, where Manu can't wear #6 because "the great" Avery Johnson sported the number back in the day.

foodie2
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Of course, it means Malone's coming. :oops

PM5K
Avery can kiss my sack, I'm just glad I won that 150 in vBookie for this crap...

Jimcs50
Welcome to smalltown SA, where Manu can't wear #6 because "the great" Avery Johnson sported the number back in the day.

And we would not have it any other way man....I love the way the Spurs treat their own.

Aggie Hoopsfan
BTW, mad props to the Spurs for not even doing it on a night when the game's televised nationally.

Slo spurs fan
12-15-2004, 05:59 PM
No doubt.

And then 8!!!

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Its a big deal to me.

Sean Elliott was my favorite player back in the day.

Great guy, deserved to have his jersey retired LAST YEAR.

March 6th BLOWS!!!!

Sdub, glass houses.

timvp
12-15-2004, 06:00 PM
So the Spurs are going to sign Karl Malone and then retire Sean Elliott's jersey the only time the Jazz come to the SBC Center to play the Spurs with Malone on the team?

Uh, that's cool.

:wtf

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
It's definitely a big deal and great for Sean, but not worthy of a four hour media head's up for a "major announcement."

This is the kind of fuel that feeds Stephen A.'s fire.

Johnny_Blaze_47
http://memorialdaymiracle.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/elliot-shooting.gif

http://memorialdaymiracle.tripod.com/ - Some radio call when the page loads, but not Jay Howard's call.

T Park
BTW, mad props to the Spurs for not even doing it on a night when the game's televised nationally

its Fox Sports Southwest.

What did you want, ESPN?? They wouldnt show the jersey retirement anyways come on.

PM5K
12-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Its a big deal to me.

Sean Elliott was my favorite player back in the day.

Great guy, deserved to have his jersey retired LAST YEAR.

March 6th BLOWS!!!!

Sdub, glass houses.

Eh, he might be your favorite but he doesn't belong in the same breath as guys like Robinson and Gervin....

Aggie Hoopsfan
So the Spurs are going to sign Karl Malone and then retire Sean Elliott's jersey the only time the Jazz come to the SBC Center to play the Spurs with Malone on the team?

Uh, that's cool.

LJ, maybe this is the Spurs version of the Vanessa Bryant bait and run?

Johnny_Blaze_47
Forgive me for not speaking "Park", but what the hell is wrong with March 6th?

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
What did you want, ESPN?? They wouldnt show the jersey retirement anyways come on.

We play the TWolves a week and a half later on ESPN, and with it being a former ESPN anchor, plus the kidney transplant story, I don't see any way they wouldn't at least show a highlight of it.

T Park
This is the kind of fuel that feeds Stephen A.'s fire.

I think I speak for everyone in saying,

who gives, a flying fuck what Stephen A Smith THINKS PERIOD>

Ignore the fuck face, and dont let the clown bother you.

timvp
http://memorialdaymiracle.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/elliot-shooting.gif

http://memorialdaymiracle.tripod.com/ - Some radio call when the page loads, but not Jay Howard's call.

:lmao

That's not the Memorial Day Miracle call. That's the game that the Spurs beat the Suns at Phoenix during the regular season. He hit the shot over George McCloud with the game tied.

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Forgive me for not speaking "Park", but what the hell is wrong with March 6th?

He is getting his nails done that day.

Johnny_Blaze_47
You know, I think the last Spurs game I went to was Elliott's comeback night against the Hawks.

I remember that play where he drove down the lane and had the one-handed dunk (I think it was one-handed).

Great night.

T Park
don't see any way they wouldn't at least show a highlight of it.

ESPN Could care less, dont you know that by now.

ChumpDumper
Eh, he might be your favorite but he doesn't belong in the same breath as guys like Robinson and Gervin.But Silas and Johnny Moore....

Quit acting like it's the Basketball Hall of Fame.

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Im out of town for the month of March.

Blow it out your ass Jim,

January 8th vs Denver???

Riggghhhtttt.

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
2 time all star and averaged over 18 a game, one of the main reasons they won there first championship??

Hes better than SIlas and Moore.

Not with David and Gervin.

Dont like the retirement?? Tough. REAL Fans apreciated Sean Elliott.

IMO, when he was healthy, and in his prime, he was just AS good as Scottie PIppen, who the media loved to cream over all the time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
:lmao

That's not the Memorial Day Miracle call. That's the game that the Spurs beat the Suns at Phoenix during the regular season. He hit the shot over George McCloud with the game tied.

Well, then I think we should start a Denial of Service attack on the guy's site until he gets it right.

Useruser666
12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm glad I put that bet down when I did! :elephant

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:09 PM
that was the spring of 99 when he hit that, a game that didnt look good to win, and he helped to pull it out, Sean did much more than that.

Sean Elliott's courage during that playoff run, and obviously, that season, what he gave to that team, is amazing.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Props to Ninja. Not a very "major" announcement, though the hastiness of throwing together this announcement would seem to portend that the Mail will be delivered soon. That IS major.

Sdub, glass houses.

Of course. I've noticed the SW's penchant for misspelling and grammatical error. She's right to point out the mistake -- it drives me crazy, too.

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Im out of town for the month of March.

Blow it out your ass Jim,

January 8th vs Denver???

Riggghhhtttt.

TPark, I was speculating on the date because it would have been a national tv game, but I was right and that galls you to no end, so I love it. :lol

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:11 PM
You were not right.

For one thing, Elliott wasnt ON Jim Rome.

Second, you pulled it out of your ass.

Erick Dampier ring any bells??

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm glad I put that bet down when I did! :elephant

You owe me half of your vBookie money because I told you what the news was. :)

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 06:13 PM
You were not right.

For one thing, Elliott wasnt ON Jim Rome.

Second, you pulled it out of your ass.

Erick Dampier ring any bells??

I WAS right. You are just jealous because I was right, admit it.

Jimcs50
12-15-2004, 06:14 PM
BTW TPark, check out the baseball forum. :)

PM5K
12-15-2004, 06:15 PM
LMAO, Elliott couldn't even hold Pippens jock....

It's an insult to guys like Robinson and Gervin to have guys like Elliott, Moore, and Silas getting their numbers retired...

I guess the good news is they will likely retire Averys number also as it seems they pretty much retire anyones number who plays for more than five seasons with the team....

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Elliott couldn't even hold Pippens jock

you obviously didnt watch Sean Elliott in his freakin prime.

Elliott in that 95 96 season was one of the top 10 best players in the league.

Loose hate SIR.

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I WAS right. You are just jealous because I was right, admit it.

Drinkin early there Dr Kildare?

samikeyp
12-15-2004, 06:21 PM
It's an insult to guys like Robinson and Gervin to have guys like Elliott, Moore, and Silas getting their numbers retired...

Why? They all have special meaning to this franchise and this city, which is why jerseys get retired. Chump hit the nail on the head, its not the Basketball Hall of Fame. Its for players who made major contributions to the success of the Spurs franchise. All of these players did just that.

Shelly
12-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Well, at least I finally won some Vbookie money!

Thanks, Sean!

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Supposedly,

now this is KSAT 12.

Supposedly Avery Johnson is gonna have his number retired.

Now THAT is a joke.

PM5K
12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Supposedly,

now this is KSAT 12.

Supposedly Avery Johnson is gonna have his number retired.

Now THAT is a joke.

The Coyote deserves the honor just as much.....

T Park
12-15-2004, 06:31 PM
lol,

yes because the Coyote contributed so much.

God PM, what the hell.

PM5K
12-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey the coyote has been around longer than anyone, have you seen his stats?

Show me someone with more LPG (Laughs Per Game) than him?

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
LMAO, Elliott couldn't even hold Pippens jock....

You're right, he couldn't. He was too busy playing arguably the best defense in the league on Jordan.

Thanks for playing, we have some lovely consolation prizes for you backstage.

PM5K
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
You're right, he couldn't. He was too busy playing arguably the best defense in the league on Jordan.

Thanks for playing, we have some lovely consolation prizes for you backstage.

We aren't going to go through that again are we? I don't have the stats at hand but if I recall correctly, for the games I could find boxes for Elliott guarded him to 37.5 PPG....

Thank GOD Jordan only had to put up with that kind of defense twice a year....

Walton Buys Off Me
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
So much for big news.......on second thought, how is this news?

Guy hits one memorable shot and gets his jersey retired. You would think Avery Johnson would have been taken care of before Elliott.

Yawn

Nikos
12-15-2004, 06:45 PM
There are lots of guys who supposedly played Jordan real well.

Vernon Maxwell. Joe Dumars. John Starks. And a few others I am forgetting right now.

But I do remember Maxwell outscored him once or twice and his team regularly beat the Bulls in the early 90s.

samikeyp
So much for big news.......on second thought, how is this news?

Guy hits one memorable shot and gets his jersey retired. You would think Avery Johnson would have been taken care of before Elliott.

Yawn

I noticed you chose to ignore his two all-star selections...oh and that whole coming back from a kidney transplant thing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Whatever PM,

The last two years that the Spurs and Jordan led Bulls met, Sean was holding him below his average, not to mention forcing him to shoot more to get it.

Useruser666
12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Well, at least I finally won some Vbookie money!

Thanks, Sean!

Now I can buy all those vBookie gifts I had my eye on! :elephant

PM5K
12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Whatever PM,

The last two years that the Spurs and Jordan led Bulls met, Sean was holding him below his average, not to mention forcing him to shoot more to get it.

If you are going to argue the point go further back since I can't argue with that because I cannot find the box scores.

I can however get the boxes for the last few years they played against each other and as I said: 37.5.....

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Guy hits one memorable shot and gets his jersey retired.

Actually, just in that one game, he hit six, and he did it with failing kidneys.

That's the stuff that really belong in the Hall of Fame, let alone in team rafters. Sure trumps stupid shit like Kobe's "oh I've got the flu and now I'm gonna go *heroically* drop 35 and cheat on my wife" nonsense.

manustarting2gd
12-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Sean Elliott , Spur legend.

Marcus Bryant
12-15-2004, 07:09 PM
It's not surprising that TPark and AHF are among those who would bite the hand that fed them their first title. In TPark's case he certainly looks like he bit more than once but I digress.

Avery Johnson's eventual number retirement is demeaned because he does not possess Hall of Fame credentials yet AHF is stretching like mad to attempt to justify Elliott's number retirement. Give it a rest you little molefuck. You can't do it.

Fuck him. What he knows about basketball I just dropped in a porcelain bowl a half hour ago.

As for TPark, dude, shut the fuck up. Nobody cares what you have to say.

Spurs fans who would dump on Avery Johnson are worse than dried cum on a crackwhore's panties.

timvp
12-15-2004, 07:14 PM
It's not surprising that TPark and AHF are among those who would bite the hand that fed them their first title. In TPark's case he certainly looks like he bit more than once but I digress.

Avery Johnson's eventual number retirement is demeaned because he does not possess Hall of Fame credentials yet AHF is stretching like mad to attempt to justify Elliott's number retirement. Give it a rest you little molefuck. You can't do it.

Fuck him. What he knows about basketball I just dropped in a porcelain bowl a half hour ago.

As for TPark, dude, shut the fuck up. Nobody cares what you have to say.

Spurs fans who would dump on Avery Johnson are worse than dried cum on a crackwhore's panties.

http://www.kaitaia.com/funny/pictures/owned/rayowned.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Fuck off Marcus, Elliott did more to help this team win a title than AJ could ever hope to.

He played the perimeter defense that we all expect of Bowen now, he provided the scoring punch from the wing that we all expect of Manu and Devin (combined) now, and he did it all knowing his kidney was failing and spending two hours after every game in the training room to take care of his problem after every game while Avery was flashing his grin and becoming SA's favorite son.

Avery never flipped a series during that Spurs title run like Elliott did courtesy the MDM, and I don't think he ever could say he was an All-Star (correct me if I'm wrong).

All that said, the bar was set low by this franchise courtesy the Johnny Moore jersey retirement, so using that as a measuring stick means sure jersey retirement for AJ.

whottt
12-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Rack PM5K for saying AJ can kiss his sack...That's the type of sentiment AJ deserves.

And a big unrack on PM5K for dissing Elliott.

Elliott deserves much better, the polls we had a few weeks back were just...Elliott was supported by about 90% of the people here....AJ got bounced like the scrub he is. No comparison between the Ninja and AJ...in terms of game or being a true Spur.

Marcus Bryant OTOH needs to shut the fuck up about who is a Spur and who isn't...since he is championing the sign Malone movement I think it's pretty clear he hasn't got a clue WTF a true Spur is.(Edit and yes I know I am kinda on that side as well...but I'm not enjoying it as much as he is, for me it's kind of a resigned shame and the lesser of two evils, he's enjoying it)

whottt
12-15-2004, 08:56 PM
And didn't we retire Drob's jersey when Utah came to town as well?

Strange...since we could never beat those guys in the playoffs I guess this is some kind of revenge or something.

Marcus Bryant
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
You are the scum of the earth you ungrateful fucks. Predictably you idolize those who were content to coast on their talent and just be glad to get to the big show while disparaging those who provided the vision and leadership to climb the mountain that had loomed large over San Antonio de Bexar. Your Pop and AJ hate speaks volumes about what you understand about the game.

AHF you call yourself an Aggie? Aggies appreciate the value of leadership. They understand it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog that matters most when it comes to ultimate victory. Your existence is an embarrassment to Aggies everywhere.

whottt there is a special place in Spurs hell for you. Maybe Avery Johnson should put on some whiteface and pose nude for some Aussie gay porn mag in order for you to truly appreciate him.

Both of you make Stephen A Smith sound like James Naismith. Fucking chumps.

mattyc
12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Sean is far and beyond deserved of having his jersey retired. David and Sean were amazing together for many years, and I doubt there is any man that made San Antonio fans more emotionally involved than Sean.

Throughout his kidney saga, Sean showed the determination and courage that we as fans love to see.

Sean is a legend of this ball club.
Acknowledge.