PDA

View Full Version : TO fined for celebration

BeerIsGood!
09-20-2007, 07:27 AM
T.O. fined 'thousands' for mock videotape TD celebration (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-tofined&prov=ap&type=lgns)

September 19, 2007

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- After seeing the videotape of Terrell Owens' latest touchdown celebration, the NFL office wasn't laughing.

Owens said Wednesday he was fined "a good chunk of money" -- which he later defined as thousands of dollars -- for a celebration that included him using the goal post and football to poke fun at the New England Patriots' spying scandal during Dallas' 37-20 victory over Miami this past Sunday.

A league spokesman said the fine was $7,500.

"It wasn't even the fact I used the goal post as a prop," Owens said. "They said I used the ball."

Beyond being confused about what he can and can't do, Owens is frustrated by the league's policing of end-zone scenes.

"It's kind of hard to understand the rules," he said. "It's like you can't do nothing no more. ... Dude, it's like they're trying to find any way to take fun out of the game. So I'm kind of limited right now as far as what I can do."

T.O. plotted his celebration days before, after getting suggestions from callers on his weekly radio show. He said he likes making them timely.

Now, though, he's going to be more careful with what he does.

"Nothing's worth getting a fine for," he said.

Owens said he'll consider an appeal, but "it may not even be worth it."

How about saving his act until he gets to the sideline?

"I guess so," he said. "Next, they're going to be saying you can't go to the sidelines."

Taco
09-20-2007, 07:37 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/32/fullj.getty-75557848es019_cowboys_dolphins.jpg

He was just trying to steal the dolphins plays

sa_butta
09-20-2007, 08:24 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/32/fullj.getty-75557848es019_cowboys_dolphins.jpg

He was just trying to steal the dolphins playsI seriously doubt that.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 08:32 AM
good it wasn't funny. Leave the celebrations to Chad Johnson

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 08:36 AM
It was the funniest thing TO has ever done. So far, it far outclasses Chad Johnson's two weak celebrations. Chad Johnson isn't funny anymore since the NFL took away his funny. TO's was against the rules, but very funny.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
It was the funniest thing TO has ever done. So far, it far outclasses Chad Johnson's two weak celebrations. Chad Johnson isn't funny anymore since the NFL took away his funny. TO's was against the rules, but very funny.

T.O. is never funny. He is just a drama queen and the people in Dallas like him the same way the people in San Fran like Barry Bonds.

*the only thing remotly funny that he did was pose on the giant star, or cry after catching that pass vs. the Packers

samikeyp
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
This is the one thing TO has done that I have actually laughed at. I think that thing and the things Chad Johnson has done are ok. They're not hurting anyone. Taunting is one thing (the Star in 99, cheering when a player is hurt, spiking the ball in someone's face), celebrating is another. Taunting is for pussies, celebrations belong in sports.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
This is the one thing TO has done that I have actually laughed at. I think that thing and the things Chad Johnson has done are ok. They're not hurting anyone. Taunting is one thing (the Star in 99, cheering when a player is hurt, spiking the ball in someone's face), celebrating is another. Taunting is for pussies, celebrations belong in sports.

I concur. Well said

stretch
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
I disagree. I still think that Chad's lambeau leap was funny as fuck.

stretch
09-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I wonder if whiny little Rodney Harrison is going to start bitching about how much of a classless jerk T.O. is again.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 10:10 AM
It was a pretty good idea, but would have been much funnier if they had snatched off his helmet and refused to give it back. The so-called "Dawg Pound" got the chance of a lifetime to validate their reputation and beat the hell out of an opposing player who was asking for it by jumping into their realm, but they pussied out in the end. I don't blame Johnson since he nutted up and did his part, but it still missed out since the Cleveland fans are all bark and no bite.

fyatuk
09-20-2007, 10:10 AM

I got a kick out of him dropping the ball in the Salvation Army bucket last year as well.

But yeah, celebrations are fine as long as they don't last too long. Taunting is stupid.

samikeyp
09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
I still think that Chad's lambeau leap was funny as fuck.

I would agree...that takes serious nad to do that.

The Salvation Army thing was cool too.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Now that the Dawg Pound has been shown to be a Puppy Litter he needs to try it in Philly to see if those fans can live up to their nasty billing. Test the so called "tough" fans around the league to see if any of them have any nuts.

Switchman
09-20-2007, 10:35 AM
good it wasn't funny. Leave the celebrations to Chad Johnson

Please. Johnsons HOF jacket was so fucking weak I couldn't believe THAT was what he had been hyping about for the entire off-season.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Please. Johnsons HOF jacket was so fucking weak I couldn't believe THAT was what he had been hyping about for the entire off-season.

Not only that, but his team should have been penalized and he should have been fined for it too. The NFL rules state that no props can be used no matter where you are on the field or sideline, and if that isn't a prop I don't know what is. It's a double standard that the new commish is employing because he allows Johnson to get away free while he fines TO for using the football as a prop.

johnsmith
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM

I agree.

I also thought this TO thing was pretty good as well.

I still think all of these endzone celebrations are funny as hell. Sure, I like to see players go Barry Sanders as well and just give the ball back to the ref, but you have to kind of appreciate the creativity.

stretch
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Now that the Dawg Pound has been shown to be a Puppy Litter he needs to try it in Philly to see if those fans can live up to their nasty billing. Test the so called "tough" fans around the league to see if any of them have any nuts.
How about in the Black Hole? Those guys are wild as fuck.

stretch
09-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I really don't think that was his best. I think he has plenty more better ones to come. The season just started. Why would he waste his best ideas on the first game of the season? I think he was just trying to get a little attention so people start watching for his celebrations even more, and to butter us up for something really good to come.

stretch
09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Not only that, but his team should have been penalized and he should have been fined for it too. The NFL rules state that no props can be used no matter where you are on the field or sideline, and if that isn't a prop I don't know what is. It's a double standard that the new commish is employing because he allows Johnson to get away free while he fines TO for using the football as a prop.
Probably because technically, that wasn't a part of a celebration. He put that jacket on after they kicked the extra point.

monosylab1k
09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
How about in the Black Hole? Those guys are wild as fuck.
They're crazy and intimidating, but I don't think they're violent idiotic goons like Philly fans. Oakland fans would just push him off and throw shit at him. If Chad Johnson tried to leap into a Philly crowd he'd probably end up with a shank in his ribs.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
It was a pretty good idea, but would have been much funnier if they had snatched off his helmet and refused to give it back. The so-called "Dawg Pound" got the chance of a lifetime to validate their reputation and beat the hell out of an opposing player who was asking for it by jumping into their realm, but they pussied out in the end. I don't blame Johnson since he nutted up and did his part, but it still missed out since the Cleveland fans are all bark and no bite.

Ok dude so you want the to hurt him and get their tickets revoked? Is that what they would do in Dallas? you know cut him with something or maul him enough to make a statement? Plus, it was planned before the game where he was going so that shit wouldn't happen. He planned it out with the Big Dawg who is classy enough not to hurt him. They got signed jerseys for it, and tickets to the Browns Bengals game in Cincy. I personally watched him talk with those fans for about 10 minutes before the game. If he went to the otherside it probably would be different

MoSpur
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I liked the "Ocho Cinco" thing. T.O and the sharpie was cool.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
but also, the front row of the Dawg Pound are the superfans who have lifetime PSL's through the Browns. You think they would lose those by some stupid Chad Johnson thing? I doubt it. They arn't just random people sitting there, the Browns know each and every one of them by name.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Probably because technically, that wasn't a part of a celebration. He put that jacket on after they kicked the extra point.

That doesn't matter under the rules. The way the rule is written a prop cannot be used at all, and clearly it was a prop used for celebration purposes. The guy on ESPN opposite Skip Bayless was reading the rule off and said it should have been a penalty and a fine, and since he was actually reading the rule I'd tend to believe that.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok dude so you want the to hurt him and get their tickets revoked? Is that what they would do in Dallas? you know cut him with something or maul him enough to make a statement? Plus, it was planned before the game where he was going so that shit wouldn't happen. He planned it out with the Big Dawg who is classy enough not to hurt him. They got signed jerseys for it, and tickets to the Browns Bengals game in Cincy. I personally watched him talk with those fans for about 10 minutes before the game. If he went to the otherside it probably would be different

Not hurt, just yank his helmet off and pass it around the stands. If he's going to go into the stands then they should be allowed to jack his helmet.

If that last part about the whole thing being planned and tickets being given is true (and I have no reason to doubt you), then it just shows what a big crock of shit this whole thing is. It was all fabricated and fake. That's so fucking weak.

stretch
09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
They're crazy and intimidating, but I don't think they're violent idiotic goons like Philly fans. Oakland fans would just push him off and throw shit at him. If Chad Johnson tried to leap into a Philly crowd he'd probably end up with a shank in his ribs.
I heard that there are multiple fights at just about ever Oakland game. And if you are someone like a Denver fan, you are just asking for an asswhoopin.

stretch
09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
That doesn't matter under the rules. The way the rule is written a prop cannot be used at all, and clearly it was a prop used for celebration purposes. The guy on ESPN opposite Skip Bayless was reading the rule off and said it should have been a penalty and a fine, and since he was actually reading the rule I'd tend to believe that.
If he didn't get fine, there was probably some kind of techinicality that allowed him not to be fined. Perhaps because of the fact that it was a jacket, and that players are always wearing jackets on the field. I dunno. I'm not saying that if he broke the rules, he shouldn't be fined, but I think celebrations like what T.O. did and Johnson did don't deserve fines.

stretch
09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Link?

peewee's lovechild
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Joe Horn's cell phone celebration tops all.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
If he didn't get fine, there was probably some kind of techinicality that allowed him not to be fined. Perhaps because of the fact that it was a jacket, and that players are always wearing jackets on the field. I dunno. I'm not saying that if he broke the rules, he shouldn't be fined, but I think celebrations like what T.O. did and Johnson did don't deserve fines.

I don't think they deserve fines either, but what I really don't like is one guy getting off because he gets positive pub and is liked by the commish while the other guy gets fined because he gets negative pub and is disliked by the league. It's either ok for everyone or for no one, but this double standard bullshit just takes more of the commish's credibility and flushes it down the drain. I don't like TO, but either both he and Johnson should be fined or neither of them.

I'm really starting to dislike the commish. He just seems like an asshole who's making himself bigger than the game on a daily basis.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Not hurt, just yank his helmet off and pass it around the stands. If he's going to go into the stands then they should be allowed to jack his helmet.

If that last part about the whole thing being planned and tickets being given is true (and I have no reason to doubt you), then it just shows what a big crock of shit this whole thing is. It was all fabricated and fake. That's so fucking weak.

yeah it was planned. I was at the game and watched them talk to those guys. Thats why Chad was pissed that someone dumped beer on him. He planned it with those guys so they woudln't do that, but if you watch it was someone who ran down the aisle and threw the beer from further down the front row. I know for a fact that they got signed jerseys (from the Browns) and tickets to the Cincy game for not hurting him and keeping the other fans from doing it as well. If you watch the video, he runs all the way across the end zone to make it to that section. If it wasn't planned he would have just jumped in whereever he was closest.

Link?
I don't have a link, it was on talk radio here in Cleveland. But all you have to do is watch the video and you can see for yourself. Plus, my friend told me they showed them talking before the game on the CBS broadcast

fyatuk
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't have a link, it was on talk radio here in Cleveland. But all you have to do is watch the video and you can see for yourself. Plus, my friend told me they showed them talking before the game on the CBS broadcast

ESPN had a clip of Johnson and the fans talking and even sharing a handshake or hug or something before the game. Obviously a deal there.

johnsmith
09-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I heard that there are multiple fights at just about ever Oakland game. And if you are someone like a Denver fan, you are just asking for an asswhoopin.

I've seen a raider fan beaten within an inch of his life at a Broncos home game once.

Drunk idiots are everywhere, they just happen to have on too much face paint in Oakland.

stretch
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
yeah it was planned. I was at the game and watched them talk to those guys. Thats why Chad was pissed that someone dumped beer on him. He planned it with those guys so they woudln't do that, but if you watch it was someone who ran down the aisle and threw the beer from further down the front row. I know for a fact that they got signed jerseys (from the Browns) and tickets to the Cincy game for not hurting him and keeping the other fans from doing it as well. If you watch the video, he runs all the way across the end zone to make it to that section. If it wasn't planned he would have just jumped in whereever he was closest.

I thought I heard Chad didn't care about the beer shower, that he thought it was funny and cold.

Switchman
09-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Man who cares about fines and breaking TD celebration rules. You and I are not affected. These are multi-millionaires. I doubt they care about 8k fine. Especially when it gets them on ESPN highlights.

kskonn
09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
The other thing that has pissed me off this year is that everytime TO throws the ball down, obviously just throwing to the ground he gets flagged. I saw atlease 3 or 4 other people stand up and spike the ball instead of throwing it to the ref and not get flagged. Again there appears to be a double standard.

Hook Dem
09-20-2007, 06:36 PM
The other thing that has pissed me off this year is that everytime TO throws the ball down, obviously just throwing to the ground he gets flagged. I saw atlease 3 or 4 other people stand up and spike the ball instead of throwing it to the ref and not get flagged. Again there appears to be a double standard.
I observed the same thing in the Eagles-Redskins game! Double standard!!!!! :madrun

exstatic
09-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I wonder if whiny little Rodney Harrison is going to start bitching about how much of a classless jerk T.O. is again.
Probably when he gets back from his suspension for classlessly using steroids.