PDA

View Full Version : Locks of the Week (Week 3)

John Rocker
09-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Here are my Locks for this week. I'm going for my 3rd winning week in a row. My NCAA Record is 7-2

Florida -22 Missippi
Navy -11.5 Duke
Michigan St. -12.5 Notre Dame
East Carolina +24.5 West Virginia
Nebraska -23 Ball State

Upset Specials
Washington +6.5 UCLA
Michigan +3 Penn State

5 Star Lock of the Week
Purdue -13.5 Minny

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Wouldn't it be West Virginia -24.5 v East Carolina?

I'd agree with MSU and Navy. Florida's defense gives up a shitload of points to weak teams so that one is shaky. 24.5 is a lot of points to cover for a WV team that runs but seldom throws.

UCLA covers this week after being embarrased and Penn St covers against Michigan.

degenerate_gambler
09-20-2007, 10:56 AM

that's the correct line but he's taking the Pirates and the points.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 10:58 AM

He edited and changed the -24.5 to +24.5, they way is should be.

John Rocker
09-20-2007, 11:00 AM

I'd agree with MSU and Navy. Florida's defense gives up a shitload of points to weak teams so that one is shaky. 24.5 is a lot of points to cover for a WV team that runs but seldom throws.

UCLA covers this week after being embarrased and Penn St covers against Michigan.

ECU has a good run defense, and has always given WVU problems. WVU will win the game, but ECU will cover easily.

Washington's QB is the real deal, just as UCLA can't stop an option

Michigan can't stop the spread, goodthing Penn State doesn't run a spread, and Anthony Morelli sucks. Michigan will win this game outright with Mike Hart running for over 100 yards on an overrated Penn State team. Need I mention that Michigan owns Penn State.

j-6
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM

I really disagree with this one. Don't jock ECU over that close loss to VT. They squeaked by an ACC team that's worse than Duke (Carolina) and lost to a somewhat overrated Southern Miss team. They've played WV pretty close the last two years (20-15 and 27-10) but this is two different teams. WV added weapons and ECU has no rushing attack and no secondary as opposed to their last two meetings.

Slaton, White, and Devine will be all over the place and WVU will cover. I'm thinking like 45-14.

John Rocker
09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I really disagree with this one. Don't jock ECU over that close loss to VT. They squeaked by an ACC team that's worse than Duke (Carolina) and lost to a somewhat overrated Southern Miss team. They've played WV pretty close the last two years (20-15 and 27-10) but this is two different teams. WV added weapons and ECU has no rushing attack and no secondary as opposed to their last two meetings.

Slaton, White, and Devine will be all over the place and WVU will cover. I'm thinking like 45-14.

I'm not even saying ECU will be close, but they can force WVU to punt a couple times, just like last year. They have most the the defense back from last year which came close to almost beating WV. ECU can score in scrap or get lucky to make the game even closer. I'm looking at WVU 35-17.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
ECU has a good run defense, and has always given WVU problems. WVU will win the game, but ECU will cover easily.

Washington's QB is the real deal, just as UCLA can't stop an option

Michigan can't stop the spread, goodthing Penn State doesn't run a spread, and Anthony Morelli sucks. Michigan will win this game outright with Mike Hart running for over 100 yards on an overrated Penn State team. Need I mention that Michigan owns Penn State.

All good points, we'll see once they line 'em up and throw down.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Here are my Locks for this week. I'm going for my 3rd winning week in a row. My NCAA Record is 7-2

Florida -22 Missippi
Navy -11.5 Duke

Upset Specials
Washington +6.5 UCLA
Michigan +3 Penn State

Michigan is a great call.

John Rocker
09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
All good points, we'll see once they line 'em up and throw down.

Plus, with a team that runs the ball 75% of the time, a line like -24.5 is more like -30. Alot of things have to go right to just get 30+ points. I think ECU can force them to punt 5-6 times, which spells disaster for that kind of spread with the clock always running.

j-6
09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm not even saying ECU will be close, but they can force WVU to punt a couple times, just like last year. They have most the the defense back from last year which came close to almost beating WV. ECU can score in scrap or get lucky to make the game even closer. I'm looking at WVU 35-17.

The only thing I like about ECU (and I bet a lot of mid major ball) is that defensive line. They have two guys, Mitchell and Wilson, that should play on Sundays. I'll take a top five team with two Heisman candidates at home by 24.5 (though I wish the hook wasn't there) over a mediocre CUSA team all day long.

John Rocker
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Michigan is a great call.

Ok let's play the "if" game. IF Michigan played 2 teams at the start of the year that ran a normal offense and won both games (which Michigan is built for). And I told you that Michigan was GETTING 3 points at home against a team built just like them, who would you take?

Michigan was exposed that they couldn't stop a run option. Most teams can't stop a run option. Those are funky offenses that most Big 12 and Big 10 teams can't stop because they are built to play power football. THIS IS A POWER GAME. Look at 2 things, who has a better line (Michigan) and who has a better running back (Michigan). Not to mention it's at home. God the only reason this line is what it is, is because stupid people are actually fooled into thinking Michigan sucks because they can't stop a spread. But man, Penn St. couldn't stop that shit either.

NoMoneyDown
09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Anyone catch that freshman kid Noel Devine in action? He looks like greased lightening and has the lateral quickness to boot. Once Slaton is gone, he will pick up the pace and then some.

I agree that ECU has given WVU fits in the recent past. WVU tends to have a few letdown games each year (even though they usually win them), and this could be one of them. A slight advantage is they are playing at home, but I'd probably stay away from this game. If I HAD to bet, I'd take WVU, though.

John Rocker
09-20-2007, 11:28 AM
The only thing I like about ECU (and I bet a lot of mid major ball) is that defensive line. They have two guys, Mitchell and Wilson, that should play on Sundays. I'll take a top five team with two Heisman candidates at home by 24.5 (though I wish the hook wasn't there) over a mediocre CUSA team all day long.

I mean I see what your saying, but WVU only shows up in the 2nd half. ECU will play to win, and WVU isn't playing to cover. I just think that ECU will make them punt enough, and score just enough to cover. It will be the same as last year's game, which I believe was in WV also.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Plus, with a team that runs the ball 75% of the time, a line like -24.5 is more like -30. Alot of things have to go right to just get 30+ points. I think ECU can force them to punt 5-6 times, which spells disaster for that kind of spread with the clock always running.

Actually, I agree with you about the ECU game. With the way you had written it I thought you were going with WVU to cover, but if you read my post earlier I stated that covering 24.5 pts would be tough for a team with a strong running game but not much of a passing game. I don't think WVU will cover, but I think the embarrasment factor will help UCLA cover and that Penn St. is geared up to have a big season starting at the expense of Michigan.

Whisky Dog
09-20-2007, 12:19 PM
For the record, I don't necessarily believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that Penn St or UCLA will cover, I just don't think it's anywhere near a lock. I'd consider those two far too risky to lay down real money.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Michigan is the right call. I hate Michigan, but I know they are better than Penn State. Penn State has yet to play anyone and I don't think they will go on the road and even come within a touchdown of Michigan. In a game between the tackles, Michigan will beat Penn State...again

MajorMike
09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I'll take atm -2.5 @ Miamee.
And Mich +2.5 vs PSU.

j-6
09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
My favorite game of the week is Idaho -3 vs. NIU.

degenerate_gambler
09-20-2007, 01:58 PM
My favorite game of the week is Idaho -3 vs. NIU.

Like that one myself along with Baylor -3 @ Buffalo.

Thunder Dan
09-20-2007, 02:10 PM
I'll take atm -2.5 @ Miamee.
And Mich +2.5 vs PSU.

are those like your Washington outright over tOSU last week?

MajorMike
09-20-2007, 02:35 PM
are those like your Washington outright over tOSU last week?

Yes. Had to do 2 since the P10 sucks so badly.

Whisky Dog
09-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Taking the lines this morning from sportsbetting.com these are my picks:

Baylor -3
Georgia +3.5
Tx Tech -6
Kentucky +7
S. Carolina +18
SMU +23.5

John Rocker
09-22-2007, 11:55 AM
ECU looks like shit. I don't think they stand a chance

NoMoneyDown
09-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree that ECU has given WVU fits in the recent past. WVU tends to have a few letdown games each year (even though they usually win them), and this could be one of them. A slight advantage is they are playing at home, but I'd probably stay away from this game. If I HAD to bet, I'd take WVU, though.

48-0 WVU w/5 mins left.

BTW, WTH happened to Louisville?

Whisky Dog
09-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Florida -22 Missippi
Navy -11.5 Duke
Nebraska -23 Ball State

Upset Specials
Washington +6.5 UCLA
Michigan +3 Penn State

5 Star Lock of the Week
Purdue -13.5 Minny

EC pick busted, Florida 12pts short of cover in 3rd, Navy 23 short of cover at half, Nebraska 27 pts short of cover with 13 left in 4th. Not looking good for you.

Whisky Dog
09-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Penn St. getting screwed by the refs in the big house. First the completely bullshit pass interference on a 4th down then Hart is allowed to stretch the ball across the goal line while laying on his stomach. Their offense sucks horribly anyway, but it's really hard to win when the refs are screwing you.

John Rocker
09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
F this week

Whisky Dog
09-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Taking the lines this morning from sportsbetting.com these are my picks:

Baylor -3
Georgia +3.5
Tx Tech -6
Kentucky +7
S. Carolina +18
SMU +23.5

Made a pretty good chunk of change off of these this week. 5-1, and the only thing keeping me from perfection was the swiss cheese that is Tx Tech's defense. Oh well, that's what I get betting on shit kickers.