PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Buy It.

Spurminator
12-15-2004, 08:34 PM
At the risk of sounding like a nutball conspiracy theorist... here's what I think really went down today.

The Spurs thought they had a deal on Malone. Prematurely, they scheduled a press conference while they finalized the deal. BUT... the deal fell through. They couldn't possibly cancel the press conference, so they had a backup plan: The retirement of Sean Elliott's jersey.

Now, this isn't to take anything away from Sean... I think this would only have been a backup plan if it was planned to eventually happen anyway. But somehow I don't buy that the Spurs called a major press conference for this reason.

Another, even more sinister, possibility is that the Spurs called this press conference KNOWING that a Malone signing would be speculated, and they wanted to "feel out" the reaction from Spursland before making the move.

Am I stretching? maybe. Am I drunk after an incredible after-work Happy Hour? Absolutely.

BronxCowboy
12-15-2004, 08:46 PM
:lmao

ChumpDumper
12-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I don't think SpurFans have been shy with their opinions RE: Malone.

Ever since last summer.

timvp
12-16-2004, 02:19 AM
At the risk of sounding like a nutball conspiracy theorist... here's what I think really went down today.

The Spurs thought they had a deal on Malone. Prematurely, they scheduled a press conference while they finalized the deal. BUT... the deal fell through. They couldn't possibly cancel the press conference, so they had a backup plan: The retirement of Sean Elliott's jersey.

Now, this isn't to take anything away from Sean... I think this would only have been a backup plan if it was planned to eventually happen anyway. But somehow I don't buy that the Spurs called a major press conference for this reason.

Another, even more sinister, possibility is that the Spurs called this press conference KNOWING that a Malone signing would be speculated, and they wanted to "feel out" the reaction from Spursland before making the move.

Am I stretching? maybe. Am I drunk after an incredible after-work Happy Hour? Absolutely.

It seemed rushed to me. I don't know if you are right but I can't say I haven't thought the same things.

:drunk

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-16-2004, 02:25 AM
I felt it was because Malone's agent (or maybe Karl himself, but this morning's article in the E-N casts doubt) was ready to talk details, as in what number Karl would be wearing.

And after the fallout over Manu possibly getting AJ's number a few years back, Spurs brass felt they needed to cut it off at the pass.

But I do agree, something doesn't add up from today's action.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2004, 02:27 AM
You guys are loony.

timvp
12-16-2004, 02:40 AM
:depressed